Ronin 3D Focus System
5254 20 2020-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jasperjaz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 220 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all, just wondering if the 3D focus system is needed with the new RS 2 Pro Combo? I'm using a IDX MKII with an 85mm 1.2L. I'm new to this video stuff and wondering about tracking.
2020-10-22
Use props
Jivan Moulandi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61030 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hey, for tracking you don’t need the 3D focus, but the transmitter only which come with the pro combo as far I understood.
2020-10-22
Use props
Jasperjaz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jivan Moulandi Posted at 10-22 03:21
Hey, for tracking you don’t need the 3D focus, but the transmitter only which come with the pro combo as far I understood.

Great thanks, silly question but, what is the advantage of the 3D focus system?
2020-10-22
Use props
Jivan Moulandi
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

Jasperjaz Posted at 10-22 04:05
Great thanks, silly question but, what is the advantage of the 3D focus system?

It is a pretty good one because it allows to have continuous autofocus on lenses coming without AF like cinema lenses, basically it will control the focus motor that Dji provides with the pro combo, so you don’t have to do it yourself manually, also giving you the possibility to film yourself if you are alone, link it with auto tracking and you have a killer equipment. Check the video in the link

2020-10-22
Use props
V I N C E. C H A P P L E
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jivan Moulandi Posted at 10-22 04:33
It is a pretty good one because it allows to have continuous autofocus on lenses coming without AF like cinema lenses, basically it will control the focus motor that Dji provides with the pro combo, so you don’t have to do it yourself manually, also giving you the possibility to film yourself if you are alone, link it with auto tracking and you have a killer equipment. Check the video in the link

https://youtu.be/Y7UEHryq7zo

Thanks, looks really cool. If I'm getting it right, it won't work on my Canon 85mm 1.2 L lens?
2020-10-22
Use props
Jivan Moulandi
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

V I N C E. C H A P P L E Posted at 10-22 05:54
Thanks, looks really cool. If I'm getting it right, it won't work on my Canon 85mm 1.2 L lens?

It has auto focus right?  If it is You don't need it
2020-10-22
Use props
V I N C E. C H A P P L E
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Yes, thanks for that. So really the system is just for manual focus lenses. I'm really hoping that the RS 2 Combo tracking is perfect with AF lens. Was a nightmare with the Ronin S. Now just waiting for it to arrive. I purchased the Ronin S back in August, not aware of the RS2 coming out..... Learning curve.
2020-10-23
Use props
Moni Johnson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

V I N C E. C H A P P L E Posted at 10-23 02:31
Yes, thanks for that. So really the system is just for manual focus lenses. I'm really hoping that the RS 2 Combo tracking is perfect with AF lens. Was a nightmare with the Ronin S. Now just waiting for it to arrive. I purchased the Ronin S back in August, not aware of the RS2 coming out..... Learning curve.

Also works in situations where your camera has a poor AF system or simply does not offer continuous AF in video. There are many cameras that produce great images but have terrible autofocus.
2020-10-23
Use props
V I N C E. C H A P P L E
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Many thanks
2020-10-23
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

which is the firmware version?
2020-10-24
Use props
Raney
lvl.1
Saudi Arabia

This system is a great help for the manual lenses, hope this RS 2 will work with my Nikon D800. Cuz I was disappointed with the 1st generation.

Anyone knows anyone who used the RS2 with the D800?!
2020-10-26
Use props
V I N C E. C H A P P L E
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Raney Posted at 10-26 05:33
This system is a great help for the manual lenses, hope this RS 2 will work with my Nikon D800. Cuz I was disappointed with the 1st generation.  

Anyone knows anyone who used the RS2 with the D800?!

It should work great with every camera. Maybe a little tricky with a RED though.
2020-10-26
Use props
V I N C E. C H A P P L E
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 10-24 13:13
which is the firmware version?

Sorry, firmware on what?
2020-10-26
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

ronin rs2 and ronin rsc 2
2020-10-26
Use props
V I N C E. C H A P P L E
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 10-26 12:51
ronin rs2 and ronin rsc 2

I had V2. 0.0. 90 on the Ronin S. Have not received the RS2 yet, still waiting, will hopefully get it the week of November. The Ronin S was good but tracking was out of the question without the phone and that had lots of field of veiw issues, not to mention balancing with the phone on top of the 1DX MK II. I could not get it to balance, after shooting for a while it would shut down. Can't wait to get the RS2, IT SOUNDS so good.
2020-10-27
Use props
V I N C E. C H A P P L E
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Moni Johnson Posted at 10-23 04:24
Also works in situations where your camera has a poor AF system or simply does not offer continuous AF in video. There are many cameras that produce great images but have terrible autofocus.

Just received my RS2 Combo, just setting it up.  Now it comes with the focus wheel which does not reach my 50mm/85mm L lens with the 1DX MKII. So putting those back in the bag. I'm hoping that tracking will work through the cables. I guess that you only need the focus wheel for manual or Cine lenses? Is that right?
2020-11-9
Use props
fans6fd71a97
lvl.1

Portugal

i got mine today but cant see to make it work with my laowa 9mm on bmpcc4k. any ideia what may happening? i can do the calibration but when everything seens ready it just doesnt work...
2021-1-14
Use props
KozKreole
lvl.1
United Kingdom

V I N C E. C H A P P L E Posted at 2020-10-22 05:54
Thanks, looks really cool. If I'm getting it right, it won't work on my Canon 85mm 1.2 L lens?

Did you manage to get your 3D focus? if so, have you managed to get it to work?
I got the 3D focus as I had ordered a new 16mm XEEN cine lens to use with my BMPCC6K. I must say trying to get this 3D Focus to work been hell. Unless someone can tell me what am doing wrong. upon calibration I managed to get to the stage of calibrating to the one metre distance, after that the 3D focus does not see the 4meters distance at all. I CAN NOT PASS this stage.

2021-1-19
Use props
V I N C E. C H A P P L E
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans6fd71a97 Posted at 1-14 09:16
i got mine today but cant see to make it work with my laowa 9mm on bmpcc4k. any ideia what may happening? i can do the calibration but when everything seens ready it just doesnt work...

Hi there, I'm not sure about that lens. However, the focus wheel will not reach my 85mm & 50mm 1.2. But, raven eye seems to be okay so far. With Covid I really have not tested it out there yet.
2021-1-19
Use props
V I N C E. C H A P P L E
lvl.2
United Kingdom

KozKreole Posted at 1-19 07:24
Did you manage to get your 3D focus? if so, have you managed to get it to work?
I got the 3D focus as I had ordered a new 16mm XEEN cine lens to use with my BMPCC6K. I must say trying to get this 3D Focus to work been hell. Unless someone can tell me what am doing wrong. upon calibration I managed to get to the stage of calibrating to the one metre distance, after that the 3D focus does not see the 4meters distance at all. I CAN NOT PASS this stage.

Hmm, due to my current lens I just used Raven eye. However, I need to test more.... I will hold off on the 3D Focus until I purchase an XEEN. Surprised that you are having difficulty with it though as it's designed for that setup  particularly. Have you contacted DJI Support?
2021-1-19
Use props
djiuser_e2ERXZ0bnp54
New

Germany

V I N C E. C H A P P L E Posted at 1-19 08:36
Hmm, due to my current lens I just used Raven eye. However, I need to test more.... I will hold off on the 3D Focus until I purchase an XEEN. Surprised that you are having difficulty with it though as it's designed for that setup  particularly. Have you contacted DJI Support?

Hi DJI. I need help! During calibration it's always a problem with the gear, that it jumps of a bit and it's still rotating. So, I hold it with my hands. Calibration done. Everything works. But then, after one or 2 rotations, the gear jumps out of the other one again. Calibration is gone...
2021-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules