Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RS-2 Focus motor calibration
17418 31 2020-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shammy1984
lvl.1
United States

Has anybody been able to calibrate the focus motor from the RS-2 pro combo?

I tried multiple times to calibrate it, but have had no success. When you look in the manual, it only tells you how to calibrate the motor using the focus wheel from the Ronin S and has nothing about the new motor.

2020-10-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Shammy1984, which User Manual did you check? Is it https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Guide_mul.pdf
2020-10-23
Use props
cambot
lvl.1

United States

I have also not had success.  @DJIMindy - that manual as @Shammy points out only shows how to calibrate using the remote focus wheel.  I really need to be able to set hard stops using the dial mounted on the handle, the touch screen on RS2, or the app.  Thank you.
2020-10-24
Use props
ralejo
lvl.1

United States

@DJIMindy - Same here.  I need hard stops, otherwise the focus motor shoves my lens & camera setup up or down when it reaches the mechanical stops on my lens.  Directions only show that the focus dial can be calibrated and there's nowhere in the phone app or on the RS2 to calibrate it.  Thanks!
2020-10-24
Use props
ralejo
lvl.1

United States

@DJIMindy - Same here.  I need hard stops, otherwise the focus motor shoves my lens & camera setup up or down when it reaches the mechanical stops on my lens.  Directions only show that the focus dial can be calibrated and there's nowhere in the phone app or on the RS2 to calibrate it.  Thanks!
2020-10-24
Use props
RAWPIXELIA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 92858 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Ronin App shows the calibration of the RS 2 focus module but when using front dial on FOCUS MOTOR mode it goes beyond stops, lifting lens and all. The software stops and focus dial in the Ronin App seem to stop and start on the minimum/Infinity marks. How can we get hard stops with the front dial??????? Big reason for getting the Pro Combo. Help please DJI.
2020-11-2
Use props
djiuser_zNuOWoIbj969
New

Ireland

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-23 04:39
Hi Shammy1984, which User Manual did you check? Is it https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_RS_2/DJI_Ronin_Focus_Motor_User_Guide_mul.pdf?

Yes and there is nothing about calibrating motor...
2020-11-7
Use props
fans71c910e4
lvl.1
United States

Same here, nothing to calibrate the motor. It creates shake on my camera when going beyond.
2020-11-8
Use props
artwerk
lvl.1
Austria

BUMP!
Yes this needs to be fixed. I thought this mit damage my motor.
2020-11-10
Use props
artwerk
lvl.1
Austria

I opened a second thread but the DJI Staff seems to missunderstand:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D764%26typeid%3D764
2020-11-10
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
United States

And I thought I was too dump to set it up. So far, neither the focus motor nor the Raveneye work as they should. Pretty disappointed by now after seeing all those positive reviews on youtube. (RSC2)
2020-11-10
Use props
fans336ad55f
New
Flight distance : 65410 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-23 04:39
Hi Shammy1984, which User Manual did you check? Is it https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_RS_2/DJI_Ronin_Focus_Motor_User_Guide_mul.pdf?
Same as all the other folks here. We need to know if the Focus motor for the RS2 can be calibrated to have limits in its rotation.

Thank you
2020-11-12
Use props
djiuser_FNoRoTgLMwOQ
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Same problem, dji support sent picture of the old focus wheel and said use the multifunction button on that! I have no idea if that will work, its another £60 on top of the pro combo, this seems less than helpful.
2020-11-19
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
United States

The new focus motor doesn't have the multifunction button, how are we supposed to calibrate it and why the hell does DJI include the old focus motor into the manual of the RS/C 2? DJI is so unprofessional sometimes, I can't believe it. Their products are great but their communication and problems on release are just horrible.
2020-11-20
Use props
cmcullington
New
United States

I just tried setting up the focus motor for the first time today. I'm using the one that comes with the RS2 bundle (the USB-C one, with no function buttons as far as I can tell).

Anyhow, as I'm sure others have found, I was successfully able to calibrate with hard stops in the 'Focus Control' section of the Ronin app. But when attempting to use the focus motor with the front dial of the RS2, the wheel seems to ignore the hard stops that were calibrated in the app, and chooses to rotate indefinitely in whatever direction I rotate the front dial.

I hope this describes the issue accurately enough for the DJI folks. I'd very much like to not break (a) my lens, and/or (b) my focus motor.

In case it wasn't clear enough above, though, this motor:
Screenshot 2020-11-20 185331.png
2020-11-20
Use props
bkbkbk
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Registered just to bump this thread. I bought a second motor under the impression that I could do what they mentioned in the press release:

> The built-in front dial above the trigger allows for precise focus control and complements a DJI Focus Wheel mounted on the RSA port to create two-channel focus and zoom.

…but it turns out they mean you can have two-channel focus and zoom if you’re using electronic focus. This is bad news for Sony cameras, which disables monitor out if you’re connecting for electronic focus.

I’m willing to compromise and only use the focus wheel for zoom, but this absolutely requires hard stops to avoid damaging the camera and lens.
2020-11-22
Use props
djiuser_hIsBWaIkrHwC
New

Germany

cmcullington Posted at 11-20 18:51
I just tried setting up the focus motor for the first time today. I'm using the one that comes with the RS2 bundle (the USB-C one, with no function buttons as far as I can tell).

Anyhow, as I'm sure others have found, I was successfully able to calibrate with hard stops in the 'Focus Control' section of the Ronin app. But when attempting to use the focus motor with the front dial of the RS2, the wheel seems to ignore the hard stops that were calibrated in the app, and chooses to rotate indefinitely in whatever direction I rotate the front dial.

hi. i have lenses with hardstops. when i tried to use the auto calibrate function the motor didnt recognise the stops and tried to keep going although it already hit the stop. it almost broke my lens. how did you do the calibration with your hardstop lenses?
2020-11-27
Use props
cmcullington
New
United States

djiuser_hIsBWaIkrHwC Posted at 11-27 17:32
hi. i have lenses with hardstops. when i tried to use the auto calibrate function the motor didnt recognise the stops and tried to keep going although it already hit the stop. it almost broke my lens. how did you do the calibration with your hardstop lenses?

Those motors have a pretty decent amount of torque, so the issue I had the first time I tried calibration was that the motor was able to physically push the lens away and continue rotating with almost no resistance other than scuffing up the lens's gear teeth.

My solution was to press the opposite side of the lens towards the focus motor, putting pressure towards each other so they don't push away, during calibration. The motor was able to find the hard stops for me with that method.

If you had a separate issue, where the lens didn't move and the focus motor just kept trying to push through the hard stop, I'd be sure to try my method with a hand ready to pull the USB-C cable from the focus motor so as to avoid any damage to your lens.

Unfortunately, that still only solved for calibrating hard stops when used with the virtual focus wheel in the Ronin app (the dial that remaps that calibration from 0-100). This hard stop calibration isn't communicated to the front focus dial on the RS2 for some reason, so the front focus dial will smack right into your hard stops and keep trying to push if you're not careful. In other words, until DJI finds a way to send the hard stop calibration from the Ronin app to the front focus dial, you'll have to be very careful to not accidentally pass the hard stops when using the dial for focus.

EDIT: I did just notice that there was a firmware update from 3 days ago. I'll be installing that today to see if any of these issues are remedied!

EDIT 2: Install the new firmware! It gives a menu directly in the RS2's interface that allows for focus motor calibration (without the app) and applies those hard stop limits to the front focus dial! Problem solved for me.
2020-11-28
Use props
YannParodi
lvl.1
Belgium

I'll try also to see if this is working.
2020-12-17
Use props
MikeFromMass
lvl.1
United States

I have run into the same problem. I don’t see the point of having a front focus wheel if stops can’t be set. I have upgraded my firmware to the latest and can’t find anything to set the focus motor stops.
2020-12-20
Use props
MikeFromMass
lvl.1
United States

cmcullington Posted at 11-28 10:54
Those motors have a pretty decent amount of torque, so the issue I had the first time I tried calibration was that the motor was able to physically push the lens away and continue rotating with almost no resistance other than scuffing up the lens's gear teeth.

My solution was to press the opposite side of the lens towards the focus motor, putting pressure towards each other so they don't push away, during calibration. The motor was able to find the hard stops for me with that method.

How do you get to that menu?
2020-12-20
Use props
Interstate90
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1485387 ft
  • >>>
United States

MikeFromMass Posted at 12-20 11:49
How do you get to that menu?

On the gimbal, go to Advanced > Gimbal Auto Check. Make sure the focus wheel is tight against the lens and the gimbal axis are unlocked.

It took me a minute to figure out, so here it is in case I need to find it again.
16094522242373339700502747978490.jpg
16094522895568108012213514361744.jpg
2020-12-31
Use props
djiuser_c7B7QR8l2ckC
lvl.1
Germany

Interstate90 Posted at 2020-12-31 14:07
On the gimbal, go to Advanced > Gimbal Auto Check. Make sure the focus wheel is tight against the lens and the gimbal axis are unlocked.

It took me a minute to figure out, so here it is in case I need to find it again.

Hi everybody, I just bought RS2 Combo and I'm experiencing the same issues. DId somebody find a solution?
ps. I have a sony7sII, metabones adapter, 35mm Sigma art
thank you very much
2021-3-18
Use props
KabeM
lvl.2
Germany

Start up the RS2

If the front dial is not already assigned to control the focus motor:
  • Swipe up the bottom menu
  • > Dial functions
  • Focus Motor
  • Go back to main menu

Now set the limits:
  • Swipe in the right menu
  • Scroll the menu down do the bottom
  • > Set motor endpoints
  • > Manual endpoints
  • Use the front dial to rotate the motor to the start and end points and set start and stop point

Hope it helps
2021-3-18
Use props
moccolo
lvl.1
Germany

KabeM Posted at 3-18 07:02
Start up the RS2

If the front dial is not already assigned to control the focus motor:

unfortunately I tried already doing that but it doesn't seem to take that in consideration. I'm wandering if it maybe works with the focus 3d only?
2021-3-18
Use props
KabeM
lvl.2
Germany

No, it works just fine here without Focus 3d.

How far have you come? Can you control the focus motor with the front dial at all?
If not, I would suggest checking the cables, if the right cables are in the right sockets.
2021-3-18
Use props
moccolo
lvl.1
Germany

KabeM Posted at 3-18 23:06
No, it works just fine here without Focus 3d.

How far have you come? Can you control the focus motor with the front dial at all?

Yes, I can control it with the dial. I tried to set different in and out oint, but as soon as it start calibrating, the motor  never stops rolling, whatever happens.
2021-3-18
Use props
KabeM
lvl.2
Germany

You are not trying to use automatic calibration, do you? This is not a requirement afaik.

Go to manual endpoints, use the front control dial to do to the target positions, and then select „Set start point“ or „set end point“ respectively. You might need to remove a previously set calibration, but that is fine.
2021-3-19
Use props
fans64ce92b1
lvl.1
United States

Solved this issue. Not sure if it was a recent firmware update that solved this but I dot. See the answer here so I will post. Once you start up the ronin s2 swipe right on the display and scroll down a little you will see “focus motor end point”. Next menu has options. I used focus motor calibrate and it auto calibrates end points in about 15 seconds automatically. After that the front wheel is set to limits of your lens zoom. All is working well. Shot won’t it today with no issue.
2021-5-14
Use props
djiuser_XaMASRh9s1fe
New
India

I'm not able to calibrate focus motor to pair it with my raven eye, Did anyone find any solutions for this?
2022-1-25
Use props
djiuser_XaMASRh9s1fe
New
India

djiuser_XaMASRh9s1fe Posted at 1-25 10:35
I'm not able to calibrate focus motor to pair it with my raven eye, Did anyone find any solutions for this?

Found it. Calibrate your focus motor on zoom ring first and then you can switch it to lens ring!
2022-1-25
Use props
Kaku Ito
lvl.2
  • >>>
Japan

This one of few ways I make the none hardstop lens and ring to become hardstop.

https://youtube.com/shorts/lQgyuUeBtWQ
3-3 15:39
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules