Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RS2 Won't Charge Camera Like the Ronin-S Does
12Next >
18139 45 2020-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ScooterC5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435052 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Ronin-S allowed us to power external devices like our cameras from the Ronin-S handgrip battery power. Apparently the RS2 now requires a special handshake with the device and only outputs 8V. Paul Pan mentioned that he discovered the internal wiring can support this. Does this mean that a possible future firmware update could allow for 12V output to power our cameras like we currently do with the Ronin-S? This is a huge deal for people using cameras like the BMPCC 4K that have very poor battery life.
2020-10-23
Use props
jmphilms
lvl.2
United States

I had messaged DJI and about the same thing they said they do not anticipate having external dummy batteries for RS2.  It sucks because thats a feature I always use for my ronin s
2020-10-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry to tell that BMPCC 4K is not able to be charged by the DJI RS 2. Your feedback will be noted down and forward to the engineers to notice. 323.png
2020-10-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

jmphilms Posted at 10-23 12:04
I had messaged DJI and about the same thing they said they do not anticipate having external dummy batteries for RS2.  It sucks because thats a feature I always use for my ronin s

Hi, may I know the specific camera do you use? The DJI RS 2 supports using a multi-camera control cable to power some cameras. For more details, please refer to the camera compatibility list on DJI's official website: https://www.dji.com/uk/support/compatibility?product=rs-2.
2020-10-26
Use props
djiuser_GaRqgk6g7Ozc
New

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 10-26 06:07
Sorry to tell that BMPCC 4K is not able to be charged by the DJI RS 2. Your feedback will be noted down and forward to the engineers to notice. [view_image]

Oh....thats....awful! And here I am sitting in front of this new RS2 that I'm now going to have to pack back up and ship to returns.  Sad.  If this is a firmware thing and it's on priority list of things to do, might be able to wait, but if I don't see something encouraging about this (or a way to get power to this camera that doesn't involve creating unbalancing issues), it just has to go back.   Crane 3S was what I was going to buy before the release of RS2.  Hope I didn't make a big mistake.
2020-10-26
Use props
djiuser_GaRqgk6g7Ozc
New

United States

djiuser_GaRqgk6g7Ozc Posted at 10-26 13:55
Oh....thats....awful! And here I am sitting in front of this new RS2 that I'm now going to have to pack back up and ship to returns.  Sad.  If this is a firmware thing and it's on priority list of things to do, might be able to wait, but if I don't see something encouraging about this (or a way to get power to this camera that doesn't involve creating unbalancing issues), it just has to go back.   Crane 3S was what I was going to buy before the release of RS2.  Hope I didn't make a big mistake.

I use the bmpcc 6k.
2020-10-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, according to the camera protocol from the BMPCC 4K/6K, it can be charged from the external power source when it is power off. So we cannot shoot video and charge the camera by the gimbal power at the same time.

Hope this helps.
2020-10-27
Use props
djiuser_GaRqgk6g7Ozc
New

United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-27 03:27
Hello, according to the camera protocol from the BMPCC 4K/6K, it can be charged from the external power source when it is power off. So we cannot shoot video and charge the camera by the gimbal power at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Interesting...will test, though it's sort of important that it can be charged while on.  Trying to think of a way to power the camera on this rig without doing something crazy like mounting a vmount battery directly to the camera. Even if I put a rig around the gimbal and mounted a vmount battery to that...still have a cable hanging out there and preventing range of motion and creating balance issues.   
2020-10-27
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 10-26 06:08
Hi, may I know the specific camera do you use? The DJI RS 2 supports using a multi-camera control cable to power some cameras. For more details, please refer to the camera compatibility list on DJI's official website: https://www.dji.com/uk/support/compatibility?product=rs-2.

Oh wow, what a terrible disappointment.  No support for power, ISO, aperture, shutter... ANYthing on the Sony A7S3 either!???  
Is this a Sony limitation, or a DJI limitation?  
2020-10-27
Use props
ScooterC5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435052 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hope this helps.

I'm confused by your statement. It sounds like you're saying that you cannot charge the camera from the gimbal while the camera is on due to BMPCC 4K protocol... but the original Ronin-S provides power to the BMPCC 4K since it has the capability of outputting 12V. You may want to speak to Paul Pan on this as he mentioned in a Facebook group that the internal wiring of the RS2 does support this, so it appears that maybe a firmware update could enable this capability?
2020-10-30
Use props
PeensA88
lvl.1
New Zealand

sky_makai Posted at 10-27 13:26
Oh wow, what a terrible disappointment.  No support for power, ISO, aperture, shutter... ANYthing on the Sony A7S3 either!???  
Is this a Sony limitation, or a DJI limitation?

The table above says RS2 can control the BMPCC4k's iso and aperture.
2020-11-14
Use props
PeensA88
lvl.1
New Zealand

Hope this helps.

Hi there, it's true that the BMPCC4K/6K can not be powered through the camera's USB-C input, and that power-wise, the camera's USB-C input can only charge an internal camera battery if the camera is turned off.

I think what the original poster and I are actually interested in is how the RS2 can power the BMPCC4K/6K using the camera's separate 12v input (see the attached image). On the older Ronin S, I powered the BMPCC4K via its 12v 2-pin input using the Ronin-S's 12v accessory output (see image of the cable I made).

This is CRUCIAL for all BMPCC4K/6K / Ronin users because the camera has very poor battery life and needs to be powered externally. I was really disappointed to learn that the RS2 wouldn't have the 12v accessory outlets that the original Ronin-S  has.

Please, PLEASE wonderful DJI engineers! If at all possible - allow 12v through the RS2 usb-c accessory ports. USB-C to 2-pin cables already exist on Aliexpress (see my third image). I believe the camera draws 22w while recording, with an external SSD connected, screen brightness at full and an active lens attached.

2020-11-14
Use props
ozphoto
New
Flight distance : 5741 ft
Australia

100% agree, the inability to power the BMPCC 4K/6K from the RS2 is a deal-breaker for me. There are a lot of great new features but I would defiantly not upgrade without a way to power my camera.
2020-11-14
Use props
PeensA88
lvl.1
New Zealand

Agreed. Even having the possibility of a dummy battery being supplied by one of the 3 usb-c ports would be amazing, if the 12v isn’t feasible. Just SOME way of powering the camera off of the gimbal’s battery. Tilta’s dual handle / v-mount battery plate accessory is less than ideal, defeats the weight reduction benefit of the RS2 and the battery plate is off to one side, making the handling of the weight awkward for one arm.
2020-11-29
Use props
Naythan Lange
lvl.1
Canada

I'm having the same issue with my Sony A6500. The battery cant go longer than 30 minutes without dying so I used a dummy battery powered by the Ronin-S. Is there a way to power my Sony like the Ronin-S did?
2020-12-4
Use props
MedSpark
lvl.1

United States

We have the same concerns. We're attempting to run a BMPCC4K with our RS2, but the inability to power the camera through the gimbal is a MAJOR problem.

We are also having trouble with getting our Nucleus-Nano motor to operate properly when plugged into the RS2's accessory ports. We would have purchased a follow focus handwheel from DJI, but they don't have one that's compatible with their motor, so we were forced to buy the Tilta solution.

On the surface it seemed like the RS2 was a really awesome product, but the reality is that it has MAJOR deficiencies. Hopefully DJI is able to fix these problems in firmware or we're going to have to sell this thing.
2020-12-29
Use props
dpfilmgmail.com
New
Flight distance : 133048 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am more than a little disappointed that the Ronin-RS2 doesn’t offer a way to power my BMPCC6K. The Ronin-S had no problems powering the BMPCC6K along with a 3rd-Party focus motor. I hope DJI will address this shortcoming in what looked on paper to be the “killer” gimbal for cameras in this range/size.
2021-1-5
Use props
djiuser_hIHclxJjKA6l
lvl.1

United States

I am super shocked that this was not one of the first priorities when creating the gimbal!! Come on DJI!! There has to be something you can do about this. Not so magical after all...
2021-1-27
Use props
PeensA88
lvl.1
New Zealand

DJI, is there any plans to allow the rs2’s accessory usb-c ports to power a dummy camera battery? It’s looking like I’ll have to sell my RS2 if I can’t or if there are no plans.
2021-1-29
Use props
Gary Stone
lvl.1
United States

This is massively important. Please enable this feature. It was on the Ronin-S and should be available on the new version of your flagship gimbal. Thank you.
2021-2-8
Use props
djiuser_0MnR8wlDxQkj
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2020-10-26 06:07
Sorry to tell that BMPCC 4K is not able to be charged by the DJI RS 2. Your feedback will be noted down and forward to the engineers to notice. [view_image][Image]

Hi DJI Team-

Has this been updated yet? Only reason I have not purchased the RS2 yet is because I need it to power my BMPCC6K.

I’d rather buy a second RS2 batter grip than carry around fifteen  LP-6N batteries.
2021-2-12
Use props
djiuser_0MnR8wlDxQkj
lvl.1

United States

Sorry to tell that BMPCC 4K is not able to be charged by the DJI RS 2. Your feedback will be noted down and forward to the engineers to notice. [view_image][Image]

Hi DJI Team-

Has this been updated yet? Only reason I have not purchased the RS2 yet is because I need it to power my BMPCC6K.

I’d rather buy a second RS2 batter grip than carry around fifteen  LP-6N batteries.
2021-2-12
Use props
KONIAIK
lvl.1
Poland

I was about to order RS2, I'm glad I've checked that forum first. It's totally silly that DJI designed and updated their gimbal to be a more mature product and have removed functionality which is critical and is just a deal-breaker for so many users. Don't even wana try to guess what they've been thinking when making such silly decision. I'm just not going to buy a useless product. Thankfully, there are other options on the market, so...
2021-2-13
Use props
nvn5000hotmail.com
lvl.1

Israel

I have a solution for powering your cameras. Contact me nvn5000@hotmail.com
2021-2-14
Use props
djiuser_BTGeXbQt6omY
New

Netherlands

Has this been fixed? Soon i will have the advanced ring grip from tilta and i hope by that time i will be able to power the pocket 4k through the rs2.
2021-2-18
Use props
dev_printer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30023 ft
Austria

Hi there,

yesterday i got my RS2 and i was also pretty upsed that there is no posibility to charge my bmpcc4k through the gimbal.

But on the other hand i think the 1.950mAh battery from the gimbal would't help so much.

So i build a little workaround with a F970 (8400mAh) Battery and the SMALLRIG NP-F Battery Adapter Plate.

I printed a plate with 1/4 screw holes...

Just as an idea... not the most beautiful solution ;-)
2021-2-23
Use props
Brandon J Reese
lvl.1

United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2020-10-27 03:27

Hope this helps.

There needs to be an update or a solution for this. No 12v output is a huge disappointment and an even bigger step backwards.
2021-2-24
Use props
Brandon J Reese
lvl.1

United States

nvn5000hotmail.com Posted at 2-14 20:00
I have a solution for powering your cameras. Contact me

Why not just post your solution here?
2021-2-24
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Brandon J Reese Posted at 2-24 22:46
Why not just post your solution here?

he want your money ; -)
2021-2-25
Use props
Nvn Plus
lvl.1

Israel

2021-2-26
Use props
Nvn Plus
lvl.1

Israel

Members of this group have access to diagrams for connecting components to this adapter on Facebook. Join and stay up to date with all new products.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1367181840301296
2021-3-1
Use props
Troubleshooter
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Has this been addressed? I have a sony a6300 and you know how bad that baterry is but the Zhyiun crane lab 3 could power it l day... Any idea with this?
2021-3-3
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Wanda Posted at 2020-10-27 03:27

Hope this helps.

Nonsense! Of course it can, we do it all the time on set.
2021-6-10
Use props
Petar Varat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2552 ft
Croatia

Hi,

This is purely a theoretical idea wits some flaws but I don't have all the gear to check is it working:

1. We need adapter plate for NP F batteries (like the one dev_printer post photos)  - but don't worry, we are NOT going to use it with batteries.

2. Adapter plate must have 7.5V 5.5mm input/output. Mine, 25$ from aliexpress, has one and it says it is only output but if i connect ac/dc adapter it is charging my bmpcc 4k with 12V

3. If you connect rs2 to adapter with usb-c to 5.5mm cable - few $ on aliexpress maybe it will also charge plate and plate will charge bmpcc

4. maybe problem will be with rs2 output of 8V and plate needs 7.5V. maybe it will work. but I guess worst thing that can happened is to destroy plate if it is not working
2021-6-11
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

the operation of a BMPCC already made no sense with the ronin-S,
because the battery of the ronin-S was empty in 2 hours.

therefore, one always had to have one or two spare batteries for the ronin-S.

and you always have 4-5 spare batteries for the camera anyway.
2021-6-12
Use props
MMPP INC
lvl.1
Canada

I think I found a viable solution for both the 4k & 6K BMPCC's.  There is a USB-C to dummy battery power cable for both cameras available from a company called POWRIG.
Here are the links:

BMPCC 4K:  https://powrig.com/products/powrig-dji-ronins-rs2-to-lp-e6-for-bmpcc4k-6k-camera-power-cable?_pos=3&_sid=07f480c86&_ss=r

BMPCC 6K:  https://powrig.com/products/powrig-dji-ronins-rs2-to-np-f550-for-bmpcc6k-pro-zcam-camera-power-cable?_pos=4&_sid=07f480c86&_ss=r

BMPCC 4K Solution

BMPCC 4K Solution
DJIroninRS2toNPF550BMPCC6KproZCampowercable.jpg
2021-6-25
Use props
MMPP INC
lvl.1
Canada

UPDATE:  Power Solutions for the BMPCC 4K & 6K When Connected to the DJI RS2

I just received the 2 power adapters that I ordered from POWRIG.  Both are configured for BMPCC 4K.  Here are the main takeaways:

• Only 1 of the 2 units purchased work.

• They seem cheaply made (more on this later).

Operational Notes

Usable Ports (USB-C)
The usable connections on the RS2 are "Image Transmission/Focus Motor Port" and the "Focus Motor Port".  The adapter will not provide power via the "RSS Camera Control Port".  I have asked the distributor why this is the case, as power from the "RSS Camera Control Port" would be preferable.  This would keep the two other ports available for their primary functions (I will update on this, once I hear back from them).

Power-Up Procedure
After spending time testing the power adapter, I discovered that there is only one way to reliably power-up.  Simply put, all the connections must be made (dummy battery installed, and USB-C connected to the RS2) prior to switching the BMPCC 4K "ON".  I found that anytime I connected either with the power already "ON", the camera would only occasionally  power up.  For some reason this information (and which USB-C ports are usable) is not mentioned on the distributor's website, nor is there any included documentation.

Conclusion and Options

The Nonoperational Unit
I suspect that this adapter was defective from the factory as it never worked from the start.

Support
After reporting the defective unit to the distributor, I received a prompt reply that included an apology and request for a brief video depicting the problem.  Shortly after sending this out I received a reply.  I was told that a technician would review the video and get back to me.  I was also was immediately offered the choice of refund, or a replacement unit (I opted for a replacement).

Construction
As there was no request to return the defective unit, I decided to open it up to investigate.  This was surprising easy, as the housing for the dummy-battery is very thin-walled.  So much so, that I was able to break the glue-bond holding it together by simply squeezing near the seams with my fingers.  Here's what's inside:

Adapter Construction

Adapter Construction

There is no power regulation circuitry inside... only a single capacitor (tacked in place with hot glue).  I suspect that the BMPCC 4K regulates the input from the battery contacts internally to 7.4 volts.  If this were the case, the power adaptor would not need to provide this function.  Not being an electronics technician, I don't really understand what the capacitor is providing.  Perhaps some form of "power conditioning"?
Black silicone is used through-out to provide mechanical attachment of the wiring, strain-relief to the USB-C cable, insulation to the soldered connections, and to further strengthen the attachment of the capacitor.
It's clearly a cheaply made power solution, but until someone offers an alternate, I'll probably continue using it (with requisite backups on hand).
In any case, having now revealed the internals of the device, I'm guessing that it would be pretty easy for someone to replicate (or improve upon it) if they wanted to.

2021-7-13
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

this will kill your RS-2 or/and camera someday
2021-7-13
Use props
MMPP INC
lvl.1
Canada

Indio Posted at 7-13 14:20
this will kill your RS-2 or/and camera someday

Please explain.  Is it the use of the capacitor, or are you concerned about it shorting-out due to the poor construction?  I intende to open the exisiting unit and correct any defiencies that may cause a dead-short.  In any case, I have reached out to DJI and Blackmagic Design for feedback.
2021-7-14
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

it Is the use of the capacitor only, without any regulation and stabilization of the voltage
2021-7-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules