Mavic Air 2 Cold Weather Flight Test - It Wouldn't Fly!
14984 20 2020-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2020-10-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Thanks for sharing
2020-10-24
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

To me the outcome isn’t at all surprising. Cold temperatures affect the battery’s ability to deliver power, and a insufficient output voltage probably will get reported as a battery installation error. Even if you are able to take off, flight time will be drastically reduced. Other electronics are similarly affected, from cameras to flashlights to laptops.

If you must fly in cold weather, keep the battery warm and install it just prior to taking off.
2020-10-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello there DAFlys. Thank you for sharing this interesting video you've found here in DJI Forum. Please be advised that the DJI Mavic Air 2 has an operating temperature of 14° to 104° F (-10° to 40° C). For us to prevent any issues during the flight, we recommend for the unit being flown on areas within the operating temperature range. Thank you for understanding and support.
2020-10-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 10-24 11:24
Thanks for sharing

You're very welcome.
2020-10-25
Use props
Mortensldk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Thanks for sharing!
2020-10-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing mate - great tips! Interesting to see that the MA2 battery needs to be above 0c to even take off.
2020-10-25
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

MisterFrag Posted at 10-24 20:46
To me the outcome isn’t at all surprising. Cold temperatures affect the battery’s ability to deliver power, and a insufficient output voltage probably will get reported as a battery installation error. Even if you are able to take off, flight time will be drastically reduced. Other electronics are similarly affected, from cameras to flashlights to laptops.

If you must fly in cold weather, keep the battery warm and install it just prior to taking off.

Very true! It is good practice for all RC modellers to keep batteries, remotes and phones in warm poket as long as possible during winter events. And batteries need to be dry and at room temperature prior to recharging...
2020-10-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Glad he's out there freezing to death bringing us the results, and not me trying it for myself.
2020-10-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another good find.
2020-10-25
Use props
Raydog9379
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34360 ft
United States

Why not bring it back inside after flying? Is that to just let it cool down the battery and motors on its own, so it's not too big of a shock in temp? Though wouldn't it already be a big shock from warm battery and motors to cool down in colder temps?
2020-10-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I would not do it.
(but why did he?)
2020-10-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 10-25 00:55
You're very welcome.

2020-10-25
Use props
creeperquinn
New
United States

There's snow on the ground now but there's no snow falling from the sky, would it be okay to fly the drone now?
2022-1-3
Use props
Travis798
lvl.2
Flight distance : 955942 ft
United States

Before coming to these forums I didn't realize there even might be an issue with flying in cold. I've had my MA2 for about a week now, and took it out a few days ago when the temp was around 10 degrees Fahrenheit and wind chill in the negatives. The only issue I was was the camera fogging up since it went from my warm house to outside in the cold, but after a few minutes of flying it cleared up and I was able to look around using the camera.
2022-1-4
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Do you think the physical size of the battery shrank slightly in the cold and the battery contacts didn't touch the aircraft contacts like under normal temps???  Next time when you get the installation error with the cold battery installed, try wiggling the battery right and left and see if the error disappears with the twisting movement.  It might not be an internal battery safe guard at all.
2022-1-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 1-4 22:36
Do you think the physical size of the battery shrank slightly in the cold and the battery contacts didn't touch the aircraft contacts like under normal temps???  Next time when you get the installation error with the cold battery installed, try wiggling the battery right and left and see if the error disappears with the twisting movement.  It might not be an internal battery safe guard at all.

If a wiggle fixed it Id be concerned it would disconnect again in flight and fall out of the sky.
2022-1-5
Use props
CTT Channel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7843156 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Interesting, thanks for sharing
2022-1-5
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-5 00:06
If a wiggle fixed it Id be concerned it would disconnect again in flight and fall out of the sky.

I agree...I wouldn't fly with that message.  The OP was stating the message was caused by the internal temp of the battery being too cold and once warmed up the message went away.  I was just saying that it could also be an issue with the battery contacts if the battery size has shrunk...the way to check that possibly might be jiggling the battery and seeing if the message disappears.
2022-1-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 1-5 10:32
I agree...I wouldn't fly with that message.  The OP was stating the message was caused by the internal temp of the battery being too cold and once warmed up the message went away.  I was just saying that it could also be an issue with the battery contacts if the battery size has shrunk...the way to check that possibly might be jiggling the battery and seeing if the message disappears.

I just keep a battery or two in my pockets to stay warm.
2022-1-6
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Rustic17 Posted at 1-5 10:32
I agree...I wouldn't fly with that message.  The OP was stating the message was caused by the internal temp of the battery being too cold and once warmed up the message went away.  I was just saying that it could also be an issue with the battery contacts if the battery size has shrunk...the way to check that possibly might be jiggling the battery and seeing if the message disappears.

The plastic battery case will stay the same size in cold temperatures (but can become brittle in cold weather) metal contacts are too massive to be affected only by temperature (in operating range), most likely they will be bent when battery is pulled out of the drone.
2022-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules