RS2 Won't Stop Wobbling
18003 35 2020-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Halflife42
lvl.1

United States

I have the RED Komodo & using either the Canon EF 16-35 2.8 or Sigma 18-35, the RS2 wobbles when panning. I have had gimbals for many years and used heavy cameras with heavy lenses, never had this issue.
I have balanced all axis perfectly, the camera balanced great. I have used the lens strap & tried using supersmooth on or off, no difference. I have done the auto calibration each time and it puts the motors up to around 55ish. It will wobble really bad in briefcase mode or underslung when slowly panning, the footage is very wobbly. I tried manually tweaking the motor strength up or down. If I go up any further than the auto calibration, it vibrates really bad and flashes calibration needed. If I go down lower (in incriments), it doesn't wobble fast, but still wobbles the same, just slower.

What is the deal with this gimbal? I have it balanced perfectly, it is way under the payload capacity and nothing an experienced gimbal user does prevents it from performing horribly. The only solution is to put a tiny lens on, is the gimbal really this weak? I had the 1DX II with EF 16-35 2.8 on a crane 2 years ago and never had anything like this and that was a heavier, more awkward setup.
2020-10-24
Use props
djiuser_ZhuuV4YMkEyi
New

United States

I have the same issues. And my set up isnt that heavy either. Does anyone know any fix around this?
2020-10-25
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, we are sorry for the camera shooting experience with the RS2. Could you please share any video/footage with the issues with us? We will forward to our Research team to analyze the issue and give feedback to you as soon as possible. Thank you!
2020-10-26
Use props
Halflife42
lvl.1

United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-26 01:25
Hello there, we are sorry for the camera shooting experience with the RS2. Could you please share any video/footage with the issues with us? We will forward to our Research team to analyze the issue and give feedback to you as soon as possible. Thank you!

Alright, here is a video I made for you guys to see. There are a bunch of people reporting this problem on the RED Cinema (Komodo) FB group.

https://youtu.be/IK6czRyCAuE
2020-10-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Halflife42 Posted at 10-26 12:17
Alright, here is a video I made for you guys to see. There are a bunch of people reporting this problem on the RED Cinema (Komodo) FB group.

https://youtu.be/IK6czRyCAuE

Thanks for the video, we will test the RED Komodo with the RS2 this week and send you feedback when we have the results.
2020-10-26
Use props
Halflife42
lvl.1

United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-26 18:57
Thanks for the video, we will test the RED Komodo with the RS2 this week and send you feedback when we have the results.

Ok, Thanks. I have also seen a bunch of people say they have this same issue on their Blackmagic Pocket 4k and the 6K model as well.
2020-10-27
Use props
fansba3b7009
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314908 ft
  • >>>
Austria

heavier setups and tighter tuning (supermooth)  need a second hand sometimes ...best on a side grip
2020-10-27
Use props
Halflife42
lvl.1

United States

fansba3b7009 Posted at 10-27 12:05
heavier setups and tighter tuning (supermooth)  need a second hand sometimes ...best on a side grip

It does it with or without supersmooth and I have used it with a second handle, still the same result. Never happend on my other gimbals i've owned. It isn't that heavy of a setup, the camera only weighs 2lbs and lens 1.7lbs.
2020-10-27
Use props
codypchristian
New
Flight distance : 17795 ft
United States

To chime in here, I have the same issue on my Pocket 4k with DZO 20-70 lens. I see others with the issue too. I have wobble in the roll axis. Auto sets it to 42 and I can go up to 65 to help reduce the roll jitter but anything higher causes the gimbal to freak out. Package weight is about 8lb in all and everything balances correctly and is even balanced with gimbal powered off.
2020-11-13
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

You need to provide resistance. A floppy wrist will cause the powerful motors to overcome resistance and cause this type of wobble. Use 2 hands or tighten up your wrist.

It's the same as if you pick up the gimbal by the camera instead of holding onto the grip. You'll see that the grip just spins around if no resistance is applied.
2020-11-13
Use props
Mashini
lvl.1

Germany

Is there any solution out? I have the Komodo + Sigma 18-35 and I'm not sure to buy a gimbal which can't handle this light setup
2020-11-17
Use props
Halflife42
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 11-13 04:07
You need to provide resistance. A floppy wrist will cause the powerful motors to overcome resistance and cause this type of wobble. Use 2 hands or tighten up your wrist.

It's the same as if you pick up the gimbal by the camera instead of holding onto the grip. You'll see that the grip just spins around if no resistance is applied.

As I have mentioned, it does this with dual handle setup and gripping hard. I am 6'4" 230 and can grip it fine. It doesn't do this with a shorter lens on, only a longer one. Also mentioned already, tons of users in the RED community who are pros and own many gimbals have tested this and experienced the same thing. It is a longer swing weight and the gimbal arms are too short.
2020-11-17
Use props
Halflife42
lvl.1

United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-26 18:57

Hi wanda, it has been 3 weeks, have you guys been able to test it yet? Thanks
2020-11-17
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Halflife42 Posted at 11-17 11:25
Hi wanda, it has been 3 weeks, have you guys been able to test it yet? Thanks

Hello there, our camera team just tested the Red Komodo with the RS2, we suggest to hold the gimbal with both hand when its underslug mode (the position you showed on your video), and the wobbling will stop. And you can also lower the motor stiffness to see if the shaky will disappear.

Please let us know if the above informations work or not.

Thanks
2020-11-18
Use props
Halflife42
lvl.1

United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-18 22:49
Hello there, our camera team just tested the Red Komodo with the RS2, we suggest to hold the gimbal with both hand when its underslug mode (the position you showed on your video), and the wobbling will stop. And you can also lower the motor stiffness to see if the shaky will disappear.

Please let us know if the above informations work or not.

Hi Wanda,

The only reason I was holding it with one hand in that video, is because I was recording with the other hand. It does this while using both hands and even using the dual grip handles instead of the standard single. It only does this with a longer lens like the sigma 18-35 or canon 16-35 2.8 iii. It will do it in any position outside of exactly straight up and down. The portion of the video where the image is from the Komodo camera, that was done using two hands with a tight grip.
2020-11-18
Use props
NorthCinema
New

United States

any updates with this issue? bmpcc6k with a sigma 18-35 and i have the same issue! I've sent my back (not for the wobble) and have received my 2nd one now. Both of my gimbals had the wobbles. this has caused many issues for me.
2021-1-7
Use props
Halflife42
lvl.1

United States

NorthCinema Posted at 1-7 16:04
any updates with this issue? bmpcc6k with a sigma 18-35 and i have the same issue! I've sent my back (not for the wobble) and have received my 2nd one now. Both of my gimbals had the wobbles. this has caused many issues for me.

Nope, DJI doesn't care. They obviously never actually tested it and I don't expect them to fix it.
2021-1-7
Use props
alexthedirector
New

United Kingdom

I have the same issue on a Zcam with a 28mm-70mm lens. Makes it unusable at low angles. Have checked and re-checked everything. Never had this issue on any other gimbal. Very close to returning - DJI can you please tell us what is going on and whether there will be a software fix or is this something more serious?
Thanks
2021-1-8
Use props
Lee Peterkin
lvl.1

United States

I'm having a similar issue with a BMPCC4K and a long lens mounted to it. Is there a solution for this yet?
2021-2-16
Use props
Halflife42
lvl.1

United States

Lee Peterkin Posted at 2-16 11:53
I'm having a similar issue with a BMPCC4K and a long lens mounted to it. Is there a solution for this yet?

Unfortunately the only option you really have is to return it and buy a gimbal from a company that actually cares. They won't ever fix this.

I bought a Mavic 2 Pro new, worked with my S8 + fine. Got a S10 + phone a few months later, didn't work (app was so bad it would restart my phone). DJI, even with the cries of tons of people on these forums, never released an update to their app to make it work with one of the most popular phones lines. Its been a few years and they never did anything.  
2021-2-16
Use props
Chris Koehl
New

United States

Any updates on this issue? I have the same problem! I’m shooting with Komodo + Sigma 18 to 35. I get the wobbles and shakes every time I shoot in low mode. When I use a smaller lens it works fine. The weird thing is I used this exact same camera and lens set up with the ronin S and I had no problems. I only upgraded the gimbal because this one was supposed to be lighter and even more stable, but now I’m having all kinds of issues and can’t use the gimbal. I even thought I had a bad unit and bought a second one and I’m still having the same problem. Please help!
2021-3-5
Use props
nurgemedia
lvl.1
United States

to revive this thread.

I have a bmpcc6k that usually has a canon 16-35ii, tilta cage, external small rig battery plate etc mounted on the RS2.

All footage in underslung or even remotely close to becoming underslung mode is shaky/wobbly and yes I use 2 hands w/ the grip extension and have a death grip on both handles.
It became very apparent when my friend and I were testing my new Alien Arm : https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtrb1m38u0q0pp4/alien-arm-test-rs2-a-ahake.mp4?dl=0

We used my camera as described above and my RS2. We drove for a little bit and the footage was super shake.
We drove around a little bit more to test different settings and nothing we did made any difference.

Thankfully my friend had his RS2 with him. So we took my camera off my RS2 and then mounted his RS2 on the Alien Arm and then mounted my camera on his RS2.
We did a simple manual balance and auto tune, the footage speaks for itself : https://www.dropbox.com/s/zm84ssglqyhr2xh/alien-arm-test-rs2-b-smooth.mp4?dl=0

Clearly this is a gimbal issue as there is absolutely no difference between our gimbals.

Can this be fixed? because I essentially have a useless RS2 for my Alien Arm.

What do you have to say DJI?

2021-5-8
Use props
djiuser_BK7mjHvwSxmf
New

United States

I am having the exact same issue which is why I ended up in this forum. I shot a music video recently with my BMPCC6K with Sigma 18-35mm and used a lot of underslung mode only to find in post that a large portion of it has wobbling footage! The RS2 is supposed to be this epic new gimbal and yet, my Ronin M that's several years old is still better. Unfortunately I already sold it so I could buy this gimbal that I now feel like I wasted my money on. DJI...WHYYYYY? Please do better. I'm a fan of your products but this really doesn't help.
2021-6-16
Use props
WPK
lvl.1

United States

I've used many of your gimbals and just had the same problem with RS2 on a professional shoot. I did not expect this gimbal to be less stable than previous models and should have done testing.  BMPCC6kpro with Sigma 18-35 and 2 axis suspension arm to speed rail.  Wobble city mounted to a car.

Do I need to send mine back?
2021-7-1
Use props
akah300
lvl.1

Netherlands

Sony a7s3 with sigma 28-70mm or song g 20mm. Whatever. Tried to balance it perfectly, used tye best settings from the best videographers over the net etc. Bought second handgrips etc. While having it low I see every step taken even ninjawalking and its superunstable. Comparing to old weebil s which I could just grab with one hand like I dont care and image was superstable this is useless sht. How dare you take our money and now even didnt respond to any of those. This gimbal sucks and I will never buy anything from you again.
2021-8-1
Use props
DJI-RS PM 铁匠
lvl.2

Hong Kong

hello ,the new firmware will fix the problem https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D561%26typeid%3D561
please update it
2021-8-19
Use props
djiuser_4LVJxRp8zKEb
New

United States

DJI-RS PM 铁匠 Posted at 8-19 01:50
hello ,the new firmware will fix the problem https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=248176&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D561%26typeid%3D561
please update it

I’m having this same issue with a simple Nikon z6 with 24-70 f4 lens. Terrible wobble when in briefcase mode panning left or right. I’ve updated to 14.0.20, rebalanced and recalibrated. But no luck. Any other suggestions? I’m planning to return this thing if there’s no way to fix it.
2021-11-3
Use props
canonofficial
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18553 ft
Canada

I faced this issue on Canon EOS R5 with RS2. The gimbal starts suddenly wobbling like the earth is shattering. I had to turn off and on but when it crosses a certain angle the stabilization stops working and it throttles very heavily.  
2021-12-31
Use props
zuraj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2201 ft
Georgia

Hello. I also had this problem that everyone has an RS2. I have installed this update v01.02.00.30 the problem has been fixed with me.
2022-2-1
Use props
fans113c5c99
New
United States

I think I solved this. When you auto tune the RS2 sets the tilt and pan at too high of a value to handle a heavy lens. You need to manually lower the the values to under 30. Same issue with Ronin-S. So far after doing this I had no issues.
2022-4-24
Use props
fans113c5c99
New
United States

I think I solved this. When you auto tune the RS2 sets the tilt and pan at too high of a value to handle a heavy lens. You need to manually lower the the values to under 30. Same issue with Ronin-S. So far after doing this I had no issues. It's a flaw that hopefully DJI will fix
2022-4-24
Use props
criz_me
lvl.1
Germany

Hasn‘t been fixed with the RS3 pro, returned it. No workaround helped. Also what is the point of auto-tune if you still need to hand tweak to get basic features to work.
2022-7-28
Use props
XinRain
lvl.4
Belgium

Hey there,

I don't think It's the problem with the gimbal but the way you're handling it, from what i've seen in the video. I've been using the Ronin S for some years now and I can already tell you this, never go half way to underslug mode specially when it's a heavy setup. The gimbal acting weird because it is trying its best to balance your heavy camera setup. You'll be only giving the gimbal motors a hard time and even more when it's  going halfway to underslug mode. Either go full underslug mode or hold it really tight with both hands in flashlight mode. Since everyone has different kind of setup, try to understand that balancing and handling your gimbal will differ from light to heavy setups. Play around with the Stiffness & Smoothness, because these two factors are going to be crucial on how the motors are going to act. I've stopped using the autotuning cause the best way is to tune it yourself. If necessary use it to only reset the parameters. + a tip do not rotate the Pan when it's halfway it's definitely gonna screw the balance of your gimbal. Instead move your whole body to turn while holding it.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
XinRain
2022-7-29
Use props
fans28c55b78
New
Flight distance : 36070 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any resolution to this issue yet?? I have the same problem with my bmpcc 6k pro and canon 16-35. Makes the gimbal basically useless
2022-10-25
Use props
Stanley James
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

fans28c55b78 Posted at 10-25 09:48
Any resolution to this issue yet?? I have the same problem with my bmpcc 6k pro and canon 16-35. Makes the gimbal basically useless

I had this same problem with a Canon R7 and the Sigma 18-35mm lens so I updated the FW to the 01.05.00.20 and it did not fix the issue. I then tried a few of the fixes on this thread like turning down the Roll value, I also tried adding High deadband to the Roll axis.

For me nothing worked until I turned off the horizon leveling feature in the R7; all of a sudden the image was rock solid. My guess is the IBIS was detecting the gimbal movements and trying to correct them by slowly leveling the horizon when in fact it was doing the opposite and making the horizon roll from side to side.

I have no idea if any of the other cameras in this thread have that feature (it's a first for Canon) but if your camera does have that feature maybe you could try turning it off.

My Canon C70 also had some wobbling problems on this gimbal but that was with FW version 01.03.00 so I need to retest with the new FW. The C70 does not have IBIS so I know it was not the IBIS causing it with that camera.

Balancing the C70 which is mounted in a cage is a real challenge, so it could just be off balance. All of the gimbal's arms were at their max trying to get the C70 to balance. If the R7 works out for me I will stop using the C70 on the RS2 except for high paying jobs.
2022-11-1
Use props
jmvdigital
lvl.1
United States

I'm having the same issue. Underslung with briefcase handle and the gimbal shakes like crazy. Only mounted a Canon R5 with 35L prime… not heavy or long.

I was going to upgrade to the RS3 Pro to try to "fix" the issue, but I see above it's still a problem. Bummer. Will contact support.  
2022-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules