1234Next >
59935 128 2020-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MadBunny
lvl.1

France

BNortonPhoto Posted at 11-25 19:48
I figure if they release a legit clamp for the 12 pro max, it’s going to be a separate purchase so I’m going to just do what dirtpiler did and take pliers to existing OM4 clamp and buy a new one if it seems more secure.

Why buying a new clamp (if DJI developed it)? They should send it free of charge to all OM4 buyers
2020-11-26
Use props
GeorgOctane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 285807 ft
  • >>>
Austria

MadBunny Posted at 11-26 08:51
Why buying a new clamp (if DJI developed it)? They should send it free of charge to all OM4 buyers

Why should they? It's not like DJI claimed the OM4 to be compatible with the iPhone12!
Check the official list of compatible phones - no iPhone12 on it...
2020-11-27
Use props
GAME OUT
New

Qatar

road2ruin Posted at 10-25 03:17
Sorry, I meant that’s with the clamp mount. The edges of the clamp do not securely hold the phone when the phone is in a phone case. I’m presently using the clear MagSafe cover and the edges do not reach the end of the case, any force abs the phone pops out of the clamp.

You are right they have to bring new attchment
2020-11-27
Use props
CamNYC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55253 ft
United States

This is all news to me. I’ve owned the iPhone 12 Pro from the day it was released, and had absolutely no issue using it with the OM4 and the clamp. I’d much prefer a solution with the attachable ring, but I doubt it would work with both the magsafe clear case I have it in, and the magsafe charger.  And  although it’s very thin, the ring has to be affixed in the exact same spot of the magsafe charger. I echo the interest in a DJI magsafe adapter, that would be excellent! But I’ve continued to use it with the clamp, and although it does leave a little gap where the clamp grips the phone, it feels perfectly sturdy to me. It’s never popped out on its own, or even shifted positions, not even by a tiny bit. The magsafe case actually marks the spot for the clamp perfectly.
Also I’ve used it with quite a lot of movement, but I havent exactly used it in “extreme” circumstances, like while riding a skateboard or using it as an action cam. I don’t believe that’s an ideal use of the OM4 anyway.
2020-11-27
Use props
CamNYC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55253 ft
United States

Oh, and the manual says *not* to affix the ring on a phone’s case, and that doing so might overwhelm the motors...
2020-11-27
Use props
road2ruin
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CamNYC Posted at 11-27 09:12
This is all news to me. I’ve owned the iPhone 12 Pro from the day it was released, and had absolutely no issue using it with the OM4 and the clamp. I’d much prefer a solution with the attachable ring, but I doubt it would work with both the magsafe clear case I have it in, and the magsafe charger.  And  although it’s very thin, the ring has to be affixed in the exact same spot of the magsafe charger. I echo the interest in a DJI magsafe adapter, that would be excellent! But I’ve continued to use it with the clamp, and although it does leave a little gap where the clamp grips the phone, it feels perfectly sturdy to me. It’s never popped out on its own, or even shifted positions, not even by a tiny bit. The magsafe case actually marks the spot for the clamp perfectly.
Also I’ve used it with quite a lot of movement, but I havent exactly used it in “extreme” circumstances, like while riding a skateboard or using it as an action cam. I don’t believe that’s an ideal use of the OM4 anyway.

I disagree about the MagSafe case. I have the 12 Pro and with the case on the clamp does not secure it over the sides. I don’t video extreme stuff however I have tested it and it will drop the phone at even the lightest of use, it is definitely not secure.

I am not suggesting DJI give out free clamps to those that have bought however I find it pretty pathetic that for a company who are so ingrained with Apple products that they didn’t have something sorted or haven’t made some sort of announcement since. It’s not like the new iPhone 12’s came as a surprise.
2020-11-27
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

CamNYC Posted at 11-27 09:12
Using an iPhone and gimbal for things like action in cycling, skateboarding and skiing is not what you refer to as “extreme” it is what we content creators do in active, not basement dwelling lifestyles. And not only that, when selling these products, this is exactly the target audience companies like DJI aim for.

The built in stabilization of modern smart phones is quite good, almost good enough to forgo the gimbal. So when doing something more active, well we employ a gimbal.

The fact that DJI did not address the design change on what was to be the new go-to phone for action story telling with the OM4 is a huge, *huge* blunder, no one is going back to the older phones from a 12 if they have that now. I know I am not and I am also not using anything but the most secure method to ensure my phone does not fly off into a tree well full of snow when filming advertising footage for my ski area clients.

Bring on the OM5 I guess...
2020-11-29
Use props
Michael Blatter
New

Switzerland

still no update.... :-(
2020-12-3
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi All,

I haven’t used my OM4 since getting the iPhone 12 Pro Max.
I used it for the first time today and I can also confirm that the magnetic clamp doesn’t fit on the phone with a case.
It doesn’t have secure hold onto to the phone and only the aluminium parts hold onto the phone.

My previous phone was an iPhone XS and that worked perfectly, even when using a Apple Leather case or a clear case by Incase.
Its understandable that a new phone may not be 100% compatible with a clamp designed for the previous iPhones with rounded edges.

At the end of the day it will work but I don't recommend doing any sudden movements or activities other than a stationary one...

I hope DJI releases a “revised” clamp soon! Before Christmas (or in the New Year), happy to pay a deposit in advance like most users.

Happy shooting but take care or make sure you have Apple care... or go naked phone (only for the bravest out there)

2020-12-4
Use props
Jojax
lvl.1
United States

I found the clamp fits just fine for my iPhone 12 pro with a super minimal case. Anything more than a thin plastic case and the clamp won't reach the edge. Hope they release a new clamp as well for the 12 pro max users.
2020-12-6
Use props
DigitalJoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504688 ft
  • >>>
United States

I disagree. I have both an 11 Pro Max and now a 12 Pro Max.
2020-12-9
Use props
DigitalJoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504688 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use Mobile 3 with both my iPhone 11 Pro Max and now with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I always take my silicon case off when using the DJI Mobile 3, ( as I did with the Mobile 2 and the original). I can balance both well and the system works perfect, even when running around following small active 3 and 4 year olds.
2020-12-9
Use props
Phillihp3
New
Flight distance : 379124 ft
Canada

In addition to the clamp problem, I read in many places that the iPhone 12 pro max doesn't support every features of the OM 4. Anyone experienced that? Me I just received my OM 4 and I engaged a refund process before opening the box since I read so much trouble with software and clamp compatibility.
2020-12-10
Use props
Tony137
lvl.1
United States

Add me to the list that wants DJI to make a new clamp for the iPhone 12’s.    There’s no way I’m trusting my iPhone 12 pro in an Apple case clamped into the OM4 clamp.  As you can see from the photo, the clamp has no lip to catch.

Now, I happen to have a Lifeproof NEXT case for my 12 pro. That case works really well with the OM4 clamp.  The problem is that the Lifeproof case is really big.  So big that the clamp has to be stretched all the way open to get around the Lifeproof case.  

Apple Case

Apple Case

Lifeproof Case

Lifeproof Case
2020-12-11
Use props
Tony137
lvl.1
United States

Until DJI or a 3rd party comes up with an iPhone 12/pro/max clamp, I’ve decided to employ a low tech bandaid.  It’s not pretty, but I feel more comfortable about the phone not slipping out so easily.

2020-12-12
Use props
jon96789
lvl.1

United States

I have the iPhone 12 Pro with the Nillkin CamShield Pro Slim Case.  The  case offers a couple of nice features, one being a sliding cover that protects the lens from any damage and also it has ridges running the along the edge to enhance your grip on the iPhone.  The neat thing is that the DJI Osmo 4 clamp fits very securely because of the ridges.  

There are a couple of slight issues though.  The case does not seem to offer much protection from shock from a drop because the case is rather thin and the material is very stiff.  Secondly, the case does not offer much protection to the screen as the lip is almost level with the screen if a screen protector is used.  The lip is just a bit higher than the screen (about the thickness of a piece of paper)

https://www.amazon.com/Nillkin-CamShield-Compatible-Protective-Protector/dp/B08HRRMZCY

2020-12-12
Use props
Tony137
lvl.1
United States

jon96789 Posted at 12-12 22:50
I have the iPhone 12 Pro with the Nillkin CamShield Pro Slim Case.  The  case offers a couple of nice features, one being a sliding cover that protects the lens from any damage and also it has ridges running the along the edge to enhance your grip on the iPhone.  The neat thing is that the DJI Osmo 4 clamp fits very securely because of the ridges.  

There are a couple of slight issues though.  The case does not seem to offer much protection from shock from a drop because the case is rather thin and the material is very stiff.  Secondly, the case does not offer much protection to the screen as the lip is almost level with the screen if a screen protector is used.  The lip is just a bit higher than the screen (about the thickness of a piece of paper)

Great find.  Reminds me of the edge design of the Lifeproof NEXT case which works really well with the OM4 clamp.  If only the Lifeproof case didn’t increase the height/width dimensions of the phone by so much, I’d use it as my daily driver.
2020-12-13
Use props
djiuser_M9s0FQnyTgVo
New

Portugal

same problem here with an iphone 12 pro with leather case.
Very disappointed
2020-12-19
Use props
road2ruin
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Had it confirmed on Twitter by DJI Support, the iPhone 12 is now compatible with the OM4 however only without a case.

There are NO plans to release a revised magnetic clamp for those who use a case or to have any sort of MagSafe system. Essentially for anyone who wants to use an iPhone 12 with a case then the OM4 is not for you.
2020-12-19
Use props
FilmNubie
New
Australia

Has anyone had success using a cheap gloss case with the ring holder? I know that the user manual states not to use a case, and that the iPhone 12 range are currently unsupported. But I see no reason why using a case will create a hardware issue so long as the apparatus remains in spec...
2020-12-21
Use props
FRF
New

Germany

GeorgOctane Posted at 11-27 00:24
Why should they? It's not like DJI claimed the OM4 to be compatible with the iPhone12!
Check the official list of compatible phones - no iPhone12 on it...

Thats not right, the iPhone 12 Pro is on the OM4 Mobile Phone compatibility list.

DJI_OM_4_Mobile_Phone_Compatibility_List_en3.pdf

152.89 KB, Down times: 21

OM4 Compatibility List

2020-12-25
Use props
FilmNubie
New
Australia

FilmNubie Posted at 12-21 23:43
Has anyone had success using a cheap gloss case with the ring holder? I know that the user manual states not to use a case, and that the iPhone 12 range are currently unsupported. But I see no reason why using a case will create a hardware issue so long as the apparatus remains in spec...

Update: OM4 works with the magnetic ring and iPhone 12/case but experiences jitter and excessive vibration due to the slight amount of ‘give’ in the plastic case. The motors fight the wobble. Would not recommend.
2020-12-27
Use props
arachnida
lvl.2
Flight distance : 180013 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

DirtPiler Posted at 11-15 05:26
I have the iPhone 12 Pro and made a slight modification to the clamp to have it hold the phone better even with a case on it. I took a pliers and gently bent each end of the clamp out. Should work for the iPhone 12 Pro Max also.

Nice, did you heat the metal a bit before plying?
2020-12-28
Use props
PhotoJourno
lvl.1

United States

So to recap, we have a new 2nd half of 2020 Gimbal by DJI (Reputable enough company) with the latest and greatest phones (iPhone 12) which were also released on the second half of 2020.

1- To think that DJI was unaware of the iPhone 12 design and delay its compatibility was very silly (It's this the same DJI that makes the awesome drones?) C'mon, all big manufacturers get the basic specs during manufacturing process so cases, accessories, and other gadgets can be launched with or shortly after the phone...
2- There are plenty of ways to bridge the gap, for what is shaping up to be one of the most popular updates for iPhone generations in years. DJI offered no solution, which is both unprofessional and bad customer service. I even saw third party plastic adapters on Amazon that can be had to make the magnetic clamp useful. Has DJI not thought of keeping its customers and add that?

So what are we to do, then... I guess if we wait six to eight months, an OM5 with marginal "super duper" features and iPhone 12 support will show up. Then, they'll try to sucker us into buying it.
As big a fan as I am of DJI, this is a deal breaker for me. What's the point of introducing a magnetic mount on a gimbal if there is no increase in compatibility, customized mount clamps, etc?

In the end, we can do only one thing (aside from holding off on the OM 4 if you haven't yet purchased it)... If you own one, make sure that you make a Youtube video, share your experience, let others know what is going on.  For DJI to presume they own the market when there are lots of other -older, yet better- gimbals around, is simply not right.

We trusted on DJI, we purchase the products, now put out. Fix the issue, keep your customers.

Cheers.
2020-12-28
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

PhotoJourno Posted at 12-28 12:00
So to recap, we have a new 2nd half of 2020 Gimbal by DJI (Reputable enough company) with the latest and greatest phones (iPhone 12) which were also released on the second half of 2020.

1- To think that DJI was unaware of the iPhone 12 design and delay its compatibility was very silly (It's this the same DJI that makes the awesome drones?) C'mon, all big manufacturers get the basic specs during manufacturing process so cases, accessories, and other gadgets can be launched with or shortly after the phone...

Great points!

I’d hate to just upgrade to an DJI OM5 just to get a new clamp.

I’m waiting for a new clamp to be released. As a new clamp design that magnetically attaches seems to most logical way.
However, I’m mindful that this now a “new” issue and a new wave of phones have just been realised and the way most companies “fix” this is with a new product.

At this stage, I’m going to buy an additional clamp and bend the arms so they are flush with the flat edges of the iPhone 12.

Still waiting on an offical new clamp. I’m sure other DJI OM 4 owners would happily buy one.
2020-12-28
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

MadBunny Posted at 11-26 08:51

I wish!

But I would pay to get a new attachment. It would make sense to have a wider clamp for larger phones.
It seems the clamp design was tailored for the iPhone X to 11 models with curve edges.
2020-12-28
Use props
arachnida
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

I have an iPhone 12 Pro with a Quad Lock case I really like but was facing the same problems like many here have. Instead of bending the edges of the clamp I asked a friend to 3D print an ABS chip that fits the back of my case. When out for filming the plastic chip and magnet can stay on the case, I will have to remove it when charging the iPhone wirelessly of mounting the iPhone to my bike. Works like a charm!
79F7D738-CC79-4A40-AD44-DB9855FB78C9.jpeg
2020-12-29
Use props
arachnida
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

Here are some more pictures:

2020-12-29
Use props
Gabriel Quintana
lvl.1

Spain

Chilltravelers Posted at 11-14 10:44
Just received my iPhone 12 Max an tried it on my original Osmo Mobile.  Works beautifully with the phone shape and interfaces nicely with Buttery, DJI and Apple camera app.  Have not tried it with REC.  Bracket edges are square cut and I used a counterbalance for off-power zeroing.  Jaws open wide enough for the phone to pop in with room to spare.  Osmo motors do not overheat when mechanically balanced correctly.  Videos are pretty amazing.

[view_image]

hi, sorry but what gimbal do you use ??? that's not the om4, is it? Thanks
2020-12-29
Use props
Gabriel Quintana
lvl.1

Spain

DirtPiler Posted at 11-15 05:26
I have the iPhone 12 Pro and made a slight modification to the clamp to have it hold the phone better even with a case on it. I took a pliers and gently bent each end of the clamp out. Should work for the iPhone 12 Pro Max also.

Okay thinking, but it's a shame to spend that money to make a home mod. Luck.
2020-12-29
Use props
Gabriel Quintana
lvl.1

Spain

I do not know if it is disappointment or discomfort, but really DJI has surprised me by not having in mind the release of the Iphone 12 pro max, I am clear that I am not going to buy the OM4 and making a fix seems unfortunate after the money it costs. In short, I will go to the competition to acquire a compatible gimbal, because I am very clear that I will not give up the Iphone 12 pro max. Good luck DJI, I greet you a customer who is leaving.
2020-12-29
Use props
arachnida
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

I missed the small dents on the 3D printed plate to click the iPhone exact at 0, 90, 180 and 270°, I will need to order another plate to stick to the new 3D printed chip as removing the first is no option, it sticks very firmly!
2020-12-29
Use props
arachnida
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

For those who want to use the clamp with an iPhone case you could try to remove the grey rubber on the clamp. That way you win one or two mm so the phone can be closer to the clamp base.
2020-12-29
Use props
Interpol
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37201 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's my proposed stopgap solution.

Cheap $10 Ulanzi smartphone tripod clamp.  I plan to attach the magnetic ring holder to the back of it with some 3M VHB double-sided tape.

Here's some photos of the clamp, along with it attached to my iPhone 12 Pro in a Spigen Neo Hybrid case.

2020-12-29
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Interpol Posted at 12-29 18:02
Here's my proposed stopgap solution.

Cheap $10 Ulanzi smartphone tripod clamp.  I plan to attach the magnetic ring holder to the back of it with some 3M VHB double-sided tape.

Nice one!

Can you post a photo of the DJI MAG ring attached to this?
Also will 3M tape do the trick?
2020-12-30
Use props
Interpol
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37201 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mini-G Posted at 12-30 06:41
Nice one!

Can you post a photo of the DJI MAG ring attached to this?

So far it appears to work fine, although I get a "phone unbalanced and may vibrate when shooting" warning message in DJI Mimo.  However, I have no experienced any vibrations or malfunctions.  I suspect I'm getting this message because the thickness of the clamp is holding the phone a tad bit far away from the magnet and it is moving the center of gravity of the phone away from the magnet on the OM4.

Also, I found that the OEM adhesive on the magnetic ring holder works fine and stuck to this clamp very snugly.  It's not coming off unless some real force is placed on it, so 3M VHB tape wasn't necessary.

2020-12-30
Use props
Gabriel Quintana
lvl.1

Spain

Interpol Posted at 12-30 17:54
So far it appears to work fine, although I get a "phone unbalanced and may vibrate when shooting" warning message in DJI Mimo.  However, I have no experienced any vibrations or malfunctions.  I suspect I'm getting this message because the thickness of the clamp is holding the phone a tad bit far away from the magnet and it is moving the center of gravity of the phone away from the magnet on the OM4.

Also, I found that the OEM adhesive on the magnetic ring holder works fine and stuck to this clamp very snugly.  It's not coming off unless some real force is placed on it, so 3M VHB tape wasn't necessary.

Why do you use that clamp, instead of using the magnetic ring directly on the Iphone ???
2020-12-30
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

So far it appears to work fine, although I get a "phone unbalanced and may vibrate when shooting" warning message in DJI Mimo.  However, I have no experienced any vibrations or malfunctions.  I suspect I'm getting this message because the thickness of the clamp is holding the phone a tad bit far away from the magnet and it is moving the center of gravity of the phone away from the magnet on the OM4.

Also, I found that the OEM adhesive on the magnetic ring holder works fine and stuck to this clamp very snugly.  It's not coming off unless some real force is placed on it, so 3M VHB tape wasn't necessary.

I get the same unbalanced notice but when using the mag Clamp with an iPhone 12 Pro Max. I was doing a timelapse and this message came up.

I’ve levelled the OM4 before shooing and also made sure the clamp is aligned in the middle. This was just a short test with the OM4 tripod on my kitchen bench.

Does anyone from DJI have a recommendation on how to fix this?
2020-12-31
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I get the same unbalanced notice but when using the mag Clamp with an iPhone 12 Pro Max. I was doing a timelapse and this message came up.

I’ve levelled the OM4 before shooing and also made sure the clamp is aligned in the middle. This was just a short test with the OM4 tripod on my kitchen bench.

Does anyone from DJI have a recommendation on how to fix this?
2020-12-31
Use props
PhotoJourno
lvl.1

United States

This might be worth a try... It's what I saw when I realized DJI would have come up with an adapter on their own, for very little cost, and gain lots of very satisfied customers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P9G4D2D/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A361XLRXBSDG5B&psc=1

2020-12-31
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules