Sorry DJI, the Pocket 2 isn't for us, we'll wait for the Pocket 3!
12Next >
3094 41 2020-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

The original DJI Osmo Pocket arrived almost 2 years ago, it was an innovation and impressed us all! Ever since, we've wanted some basic enhancements and had big expectations for the Pocket 2, unfortunately some really elements are still missing.

If you don't own the original Osmo Pocket then it's a no-brainer to buy the Pocket 2, but if you're an owner of the original should you bother upgrading? Unfortunately DroningON will be skipping this model and in this video it's explained clearly!

2020-10-25
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Disapointing

I don't like negative reviews - can't see the point.
2020-10-25
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

John Walker Posted at 10-25 06:29

You don't like 'negative reviews'? So does everything in life have to be positive, happy, jolly, or can you perhaps consider allowing content creators to express an opinion which differs to yours?
2020-10-25
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Focus issues - one YouTube creator has admitted to some operator error in this respect (setting focus to single rather than continuous).  Others have indicated they were using pre-launch firmware.  One video I watched seemed to have almost a gopro like, fixed focus appearance due to everything being in good focus all the time.  One showed a pretty convincing demo of the camera focussing quickly on his watch, then at the ground.  All in all, fair enough to hold off until the issue is clear, but I think it would  be premature to imply that there's a significant KNOWN issue here.

Third party wide angle lens?  Why not use the supplied DJI one?  Once you get much past the Pocket 2 FOV you are going to end up with a fixed focus gopro style appearance, like the Fimi Palm.  Personally, I'm adding the Pocket 2 to my Pocket 1 and my Fimi Palm so that (with the DJI wide angle adapter lens) I'll have the choice of 4 lens angles, a bit like having 4 lenses for a DSLR (but probably cheaper!).

Waterproofing - that really is a can of worms!  That would put it into well-covered action cam territory, and would have been bound to bump up the price, if it had even been technically possible at all.

Activetrack 3 - I've seen some impressive demos on YT.  90% of the time it seems to be used by people wanting to video themselves, so no screen tapping is usually necessary for that.  I've not seen anyone try the trick of walking behind a tree and seeing if it folllows, but maybe it will....

Digital zoom is a pretty standard feature on most video and photo devices these days.  It would have been surprising if they'd omitted it for this model.  If used in 1080p it shouldn't cause major degradation (as it's using a crop from 4K).  Yes, all pros know that it's not the pro way to do things, but not everyone is a pro.

Accessories - the philosophy seems to be to keep the basic camera small, and cheap, then add on what you in particular need, at extra cost and size if that's your choice.  Personally I think that should keep a range of users happy.  I also think they've done well in making most accessories interchangeable between the two models.

Stereo audio is an option.  For me it's close to essential for what I do.  For you - don't use it.

I think by stressing that these are your personal reasons for not buying, you are rather undermining the whole point of putting up the video in the first place.  If I go into a hardware shop to buy a hammer, I'm not that interested in someone telling me that for the job he's doing, a screwdriver is best.  I think the whole video would have been better pitched as one which points out some pros and cons that people might have overlooked.  As it is, I can't help feeling that maybe it's a video make by someone who expected a pre-production sample, and didn't get one.  (Actually I was surprised that you didn't, given that yours was one of the best and first reviews of the original model and is still linked to this forum).  It's also not a good idea to insult people who disagree with you as trolls, which you may not have intended, but that's what comes across.
2020-10-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Makes sense,   most products drip out the features each year.
2020-10-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I for sure was hoping for a 1" sensor.
They have one in the stable
I would not have cared about the extra weight.
Better to carry a bit more gr than being stuck with this (still) small sensor.
Just my 2 cents.
2020-10-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 10-25 09:05
Makes sense,   most products drip out the features each year.

Very true - like the zoom feature on the MA2 etc.
2020-10-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 10-25 10:31
Very true - like the zoom feature on the MA2 etc.

2020-10-25
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

LOLOL I am the exact opposite I find them more informative (unless they are done with an agenda of course) and more valuable for the decision making process. That's why I always wait for real user reviews compared to the ones from "usual guys" that get everything early and for free with a huge contract attached.
2020-10-25
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Sadly this wasn't by a real user, as he's never laid hands on one.

I was reflecting this morning that there's often too much emphasis on the name - "Pocket" - in some reviews and indeed in some opinions here.  For me it's fine that the Pocket 1 can travel in my jacket pocket ready for the unexpected.  But if I'm going out with more serious videography in mind, I don't care if it becomes part of a larger rig.  For instance, in my view, one of the best accessories is the official extension handle, which turns it into a whole other thing creatively.  Once fitted to the handle, of course it's then no longer any kind of Pocket device, but it's still way more portable and compact than a DSLR in a Ronin.  So - I like the scalability.  
Now I admit that some similar devices have more stuff built in - but they all fall short in the overall quality stakes.  You don't see them sold in pro video shops (that I've seen).  Is that partly because there are compromises involved in stuffing too much attempted function into a tiny case?  I'd rather have a scalable device which offers (within the device class) premium quality.  And at the end of the day it's hard to argue that there's any other such device which out-premiums the Pocket 2.  IMHO.
2020-10-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there sergeant. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this video you have found. Rest assured that DJI is continuously creating more great products and updates in the future. For the latest DJI products and updates kindly please stay tuned by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you.
2020-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

He doesn’t like negative reviews himself and you can hear this throughout his so called review and the rate he tries to get posts removed. The man is in a bubble, you agree with him or he throws his toys out of the Pram.....
2020-10-26
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 10-25 11:36
LOLOL I am the exact opposite  I find them more informative (unless they are done with an agenda of course) and more valuable for the decision making process. That's why I always wait for real user reviews compared to the ones from "usual guys" that get everything early and for free with a huge contract attached.

I would agree with all these points. I'm also waiting for a real world review rather than from an 'influencer' who has a vested interest in maintaining relations to get the next pre release.
2020-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Pros.
Bigger Sensor
Wider field of view
Better low light
Accessories control stick 3/4 mount and wide angle filter as standard
Active 3
Digital Zoom 8x
Better slow motion almost no crop as opposed to 49% crop on P1
New AI editor
16mp / 64mp photos
Matrix Stereo Sound now with 4 mics
Better sound range than rode wireless
€25 cheaper than P1

Cons
Well if you compare wit P1 it has none, if you compare with other similar products on the market is has none that I know of.

Wishlist
Faster Focus, 2.7k slow motion, 4k HDR, Manual Focus.

Looking at above I’m not sure why for now without using the P2 someone would be so disappointed and damming of the P2, particularly complaining about its increased weight of just 1 gram. LMAO at that.
2020-10-26
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Video title says "We" and then he says that he is not upgrading and that it is hes own opinion. Title is misleading.

I have OP1 and I ordered OP2 it is incredible gimbal camera and so cheap. No need to spend thousands.
2020-10-26
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

As I've already said in another thread. I refuse to click on any video where the Title is a blatant views grab (in my opinion). I probably would have watch this if the title is "should you upgrade from OP" instead of we're not upgrading.
2020-10-26
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Advance user should remember that probably 90%+ of the OP user just use the OP on it's own with minimal accessories and post processing so size, weight, battery life and being able to use OP accessories will be a more important factor in sales than a big jump in performance in a bigger package.
2020-10-26
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-25 13:43
Sadly this wasn't by a real user, as he's never laid hands on one.

I was reflecting this morning that there's often too much emphasis on the name - "Pocket" - in some reviews and indeed in some opinions here.  For me it's fine that the Pocket 1 can travel in my jacket pocket ready for the unexpected.  But if I'm going out with more serious videography in mind, I don't care if it becomes part of a larger rig.  For instance, in my view, one of the best accessories is the official extension handle, which turns it into a whole other thing creatively.  Once fitted to the handle, of course it's then no longer any kind of Pocket device, but it's still way more portable and compact than a DSLR in a Ronin.  So - I like the scalability.  

I totally agree. I believe there is a gap in the market where a Pocket Pro (or Pocket Hasselblad) would happily fit. I would not mind a slightly bigger size and higher price.
2020-10-26
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

hallmark007 Posted at 10-26 05:22
He doesn’t like negative reviews himself and you can hear this throughout his so called review and the rate he tries to get posts removed. The man is in a bubble, you agree with him or he throws his toys out of the Pram.....

Isn't that the channel which posted videos last year trying to convince people there will be no such thing as Mavic Mini?
2020-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CemAygun Posted at 10-26 12:52
Isn't that the channel which posted videos last year trying to convince people there will be no such thing as Mavic Mini?

Im not sure but it wouldn’t surprise, but he was selected to review the pocket 1, he gave it a glowing review and so maybe something irking him because he was left out of this one.
2020-10-26
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

hallmark007 Posted at 10-26 13:53
Im not sure but it wouldn’t surprise, but he was selected to review the pocket 1, he gave it a glowing review and so maybe something irking him because he was left out of this one.

I remember the Pocket 1 review. If I am not mistaken at one point they were on a crusade against "fake" leaks; which, funny enough, all turned out to be very real (I guess they were already cut off by DJI by that time) I stopped watching anything from them after that.

Mini 2 is crazy by the way
2020-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CemAygun Posted at 10-26 14:19
I remember the Pocket 1 review. If I am not mistaken at one point they were on a crusade against "fake" leaks; which, funny enough, all turned out to be very real  (I guess they were already cut off by DJI by that time) I stopped watching anything from them after that.

Yeah that’s them alright.

I just gave my mini away to my grandson, but this one with 4 k and ocusync and raw photo looks really good. Mini is so easy to set up unbelievably quiet and it bothers no one, so you’re not reluctant to put it up whenever you feel like it. If price stays at $599 for combo it looks very tempting particularly if you travel a bit.
2020-10-26
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

hallmark007 Posted at 10-26 14:35
Yeah that’s them alright.

I just gave my mini away to my grandson, but this one with 4 k and ocusync and raw photo looks really good. Mini is so easy to set up unbelievably quiet and it bothers no one, so you’re not reluctant to put it up whenever you feel like it. If price stays at $599 for combo it looks very tempting particularly if you travel a bit.

They took it to the heart this time I guess, improvements are unbelievable. I would say it is a legitimate Air 1 replacement (and upgrade in most areas) now.

PS: Sorry for hijacking the P2 thread with Mini 2 talk, my bad; but I was really excited...

2020-10-26
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

CemAygun Posted at 10-26 14:19
I remember the Pocket 1 review. If I am not mistaken at one point they were on a crusade against "fake" leaks; which, funny enough, all turned out to be very real  (I guess they were already cut off by DJI by that time) I stopped watching anything from them after that.

Actually, the leaks against which DroningON protested were not correct. The Mavic Mini was NOT 4K, nor was it the dimensions which were suggested. If you listened to the content, you'd hear the constructive argument that all this 'leaker' OsitaLV and DroneDJ had done is to rehash the made up specifications that they'd created for the 'Spark 2' rumours.
2020-10-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

'DroningOn' now has a video up which delves into the interchangeability of the Pocket 1 and Pocket 2 accessories.  It's based simply on the chart which DJI have published.  He reveals in the video and its comments that he knows nothing about the subject other than having read the chart - he's not familiar with the accessories, while at the same time making recommendations to buy.  Very disappointing content from someone whose videos used to be really good.
2020-10-27
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-27 01:58
'DroningOn' now has a video up which delves into the interchangeability of the Pocket 1 and Pocket 2 accessories.  It's based simply on the chart which DJI have published.  He reveals in the video and its comments that he knows nothing about the subject other than having read the chart - he's not familiar with the accessories, while at the same time making recommendations to buy.  Very disappointing content from someone whose videos used to be really good.

Care to explain the "knows nothing about the subject", easy to pass criticism but not as easy to constructively explain, is it! Lots of people are asking about backwards compatibility, hence why DroningON has a video specifically on the topic, duh!
2020-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-27 01:58
'DroningOn' now has a video up which delves into the interchangeability of the Pocket 1 and Pocket 2 accessories.  It's based simply on the chart which DJI have published.  He reveals in the video and its comments that he knows nothing about the subject other than having read the chart - he's not familiar with the accessories, while at the same time making recommendations to buy.  Very disappointing content from someone whose videos used to be really good.

I agree I have seen others review the control wheel and owning one myself it’s a tremendous add on and can give you some really exceptional panning shots and it also included two extra buttons.
The wide angle lens from freewell half the price of dji wide angle lens is also a great tool, but probably the best tool that got no mention was the selfie extension rod proves how little they know about Pocket2 or accessories.
2020-10-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 10-26 06:11
Pros.
Bigger Sensor
Wider field of view

I think it's fair to say that the pros clearly outweigh the cons looking at those stats
2020-10-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Context is all - "he knows nothing about the subject other than having read the chart - he's not familiar with the accessories, "   For instance the limitations of the joystick accessory and the actual width factor of the wide angle lens.  To know more about the subject than what's in the chart and in others' videos, it's necessary to have owned and tried the accessories.  When making, or appearing to make. 'buy' recommendations. first hand knowledge is kind of important.  An example - we've had some detailed info from DJI about the audio socket on the handle.  But I wouldn't tell someone to buy on the basis of what they say.  I'd want to have evaluated the matter myself.  They say it will record from a stereo mic in stereo - but maybe it will do that with a massive buzz (to take an extreme example to make the point).  
2020-10-28
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-28 01:24
Context is all - "he knows nothing about the subject other than having read the chart - he's not familiar with the accessories, "   For instance the limitations of the joystick accessory and the actual width factor of the wide angle lens.  To know more about the subject than what's in the chart and in others' videos, it's necessary to have owned and tried the accessories.  When making, or appearing to make. 'buy' recommendations. first hand knowledge is kind of important.  An example - we've had some detailed info from DJI about the audio socket on the handle.  But I wouldn't tell someone to buy on the basis of what they say.  I'd want to have evaluated the matter myself.  They say it will record from a stereo mic in stereo - but maybe it will do that with a massive buzz (to take an extreme example to make the point).

Your comment really still doesn't answer the question, the element in relation to the FOV of the wide-angle lens is a moot-point, fact is that it still extends the FOV and is a useful accessory. Once again, you've clearly missed the numerous comments asking about backwards compatibility, this video is useful to many, just have a read of the comments on the video and you'll soon see that.

Don't be that troll, it's not pleasant to see on these forums.
2020-10-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

sergeant Posted at 10-28 04:18
Your comment really still doesn't answer the question, the element in relation to the FOV of the wide-angle lens is a moot-point, fact is that it still extends the FOV and is a useful accessory. Once again, you've clearly missed the numerous comments asking about backwards compatibility, this video is useful to many, just have a read of the comments on the video and you'll soon see that.

Don't be that troll, it's not pleasant to see on these forums.

It seems if people don’t agree with you, you refer to them as trolls, grow up and accept differences of opinion, it’s clear many if not all on this thread don’t agree with your ill advised and  scantly researched information . It’s nothing short of clickbait and certainly offers little help.
2020-10-28
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 10-28 05:10
It seems if people don’t agree with you, you refer to them as trolls, grow up and accept differences of opinion, it’s clear many if not all on this thread don’t agree with your ill advised and  scantly researched information . It’s nothing short of clickbait and certainly offers little help.

It comes down to how constructive someone is in their response really doesn't it, many trolls don't realise that they're being trolls, I have sympathy for them, Hallmark.
2020-10-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

sergeant Posted at 10-28 05:55
It comes down to how constructive someone is in their response really doesn't it, many trolls don't realise that they're being trolls, I have sympathy for them, Hallmark.

I think most of us got more from fansfe than the video which had so much incomplete advice personal shoddy researched advice and really nothing that was helpful but much that was just wrong. It also comes with the caveat that no one is allowed question. So from that I would say that trolling has started from the very first post....
2020-10-28
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 10-28 07:49
I think most of us got more from fansfe than the video which had so much incomplete advice personal shoddy researched advice and really nothing that was helpful but much that was just wrong. It also comes with the caveat that no one is allowed question. So from that I would say that trolling has started from the very first post....

Ah well, I'm sure that you'll recover, one day
2020-10-28
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

sergeant Posted at 10-27 01:48
Actually, the leaks against which DroningON protested were not correct. The Mavic Mini was NOT 4K, nor was it the dimensions which were suggested. If you listened to the content, you'd hear the constructive argument that all this 'leaker' OsitaLV and DroneDJ had done is to rehash the made up specifications that they'd created for the 'Spark 2' rumours.

My recollection is quite different, as I remember total denial of the existence of such a product, seasoned with copious amounts of attempts to discredit the leaker. I would not insist of course, as I have better things to do than argue about a channel that I don't care the slightest bit about

It is funny to see how time sifts the right from the wrong though...
2020-10-28
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

CemAygun Posted at 10-28 13:12
My recollection is quite different, as I remember total denial of the existence of such a product, seasoned with copious amounts of attempts to discredit the leaker. I would not insist of course, as I have better things to do than argue about a channel that I don't care the slightest bit about

It is funny to see how time sifts the right from the wrong though...

Watch this, listen to it, very carefully! https://youtu.be/DpJSX0yWsGE
2020-10-28
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

sergeant Posted at 10-28 13:29
Watch this, listen to it, very carefully!

Yep, this was the video, thanks for the link; and I stand corrected! Turns out it was mostly a diss video about their rival at the time (I presume given the animosity), with some very solid points on journalism ethics; like not publishing unconfirmed news from unreliable sources. I wish they had extended their fury towards the channels that make videos about devices they have not even touched though...

Yet, as I said, I could not have cared less. I simply don't like the channel and I don't think there is much to argue about that

Cheers,

2020-10-28
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

CemAygun Posted at 10-28 21:53
Yep, this was the video, thanks for the link; and I stand corrected! Turns out it was mostly a diss video about their rival at the time (I presume given the animosity), with some very solid points on journalism ethics; like not publishing unconfirmed news from unreliable sources. I wish they had extended their fury towards the channels that make videos about devices they have not even touched though...

Yet, as I said, I could not have cared less. I simply don't like the channel and I don't think there is much to argue about that  

And that's absolutely fine, you're entitled to your opinion as is everyone else that's the beauty of YouTube, it lets people share their opinion, whether you agree with it or not.
2020-10-29
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

sergeant Posted at 10-29 00:15
And that's absolutely fine, you're entitled to your opinion as is everyone else  that's the beauty of YouTube, it lets people share their opinion, whether you agree with it or not.

Kudos! I "upvoted" (if that is even a word) your reply right away. I love it when people with different opinions can discuss; yet not argue or fight...
2020-10-29
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

CemAygun Posted at 10-29 01:24
Kudos! I "upvoted" (if that is even a word) your reply right away. I love it when people with different opinions can discuss; yet not argue or fight...

Agreed, sadly on this forum people are far too willing to just attack instead of discussing topics as adults.
2020-10-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules