DJI - can we have a definitive answer about the audio jack? Thanks.
11908 30 2020-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I, and I think others, have the following questions about the audio jack on the do it all handle.

1 - Is it correct that it can handle TRS and TRRS connectors?

2 - Can it support a stereo mic and record in stereo (in other words, preserving the left and right signals from the mic)?

3 - Does it support earphones/ headphones at all?

4 - If it does support earphones / headphones, is that just during playback, or can it be used for monitoring?

5 - Does it support earphone / mic combination devices such as are used with mobile phones or laptops, in other words, mono mic input and stereo earphone output?

6 - If it does support output as well as input, is there any risk of damage to an external mic if the mic is not unplugged before playback (in other words, would the playback signal be applied to the mic if it is left connected)?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.  The user manual for the handle does not provide any information on these important points.

2020-10-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out Let me please forward this inquiry to our Designated Department and once I receive a reply, I will send you a notification as well. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2020-10-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, thank you for your questions on the DJI Pocket 2.

1. Both TRS & TRRS connectors are worked with the DJI Pocket 2.
2. It supports both mono and stereo recording when using with the  DJI Pocket 2 Do -it-all handle. If you use a wireless mic, it only support the mono.
3. Yes it supports earphones and headphones both.
4. Currently it only support audio recording and playback, monitoring is not supported.
5. We support the earphones' input and output but does not support doing it at the same time.
6. It will not damage your mic/earphone with 3.5mm connector, at the same time the audio output will automatically transfer to the mic when you plug in the DJI Pocket 2.
2020-10-26
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-26 18:48
Hello, thank you for your questions on the DJI Pocket 2.

Interesting combination of performance.
Thank you for such a detailed reply.

Ray.
2020-10-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Indeed, thanks.  But about number (6) - I don't quite understand your reply to that last question.  If a stereo mic (or any mic) is connected to the 3.5mm socket, and a video is replayed, the Pocket 2 will "think" that there's a headphone connected, and will apply playback voltage to the mic.  This I would expect to cause damage.  I don't think I've ever seen a device with a single input/output socket for that reason.  Well, when mine arrives I will try the experiment with a mic I don't mind frying!

I wonder whether any of the YouTube people who already have theirs will do a video exploring all the possibilities of that socket?  Anyone listening??!
2020-10-27
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-27 01:23
Indeed, thanks.  But about number (6) - I don't quite understand your reply to that last question.  If a stereo mic (or any mic) is connected to the 3.5mm socket, and a video is replayed, the Pocket 2 will "think" that there's a headphone connected, and will apply playback voltage to the mic.  This I would expect to cause damage.  I don't think I've ever seen a device with a single input/output socket for that reason.  Well, when mine arrives I will try the experiment with a mic I don't mind frying!

I wonder whether any of the YouTube people who already have theirs will do a video exploring all the possibilities of that socket?  Anyone listening??!

pocket 2 can do the detection actually.
(the impedance is different. )

2020-10-27
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 10-27 07:25

Smart! These are the things you should be shouting about and not hiding.
Thank you.
2020-10-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-ytao Posted at 10-27 07:25

Thanks for that impressive response - I will conduct detailed tests on mine when it arrives (being a retired recording engineer I have something of an interest in that area) but I will now be less nervous about any connected device!  The amount of thought that's been put into the audio side of things with this device really is pleasing to hear - I see audio and video as a team, rather than audio being a side issue.
2020-10-27
Use props
Holga
lvl.2

United States

3.5mm audio adapter from pocket 1 will produce stereo sounds with pocket 2?
2020-10-27
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Holga Posted at 10-27 20:12
3.5mm audio adapter from pocket 1 will produce stereo sounds with pocket 2?

if u are using a stereo external TRS mic, then yes.

2020-10-28
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 10-28 23:12
if u are using a stereo external TRS mic, then yes.

Hi ytao.

Presumably the same type of mic used for the Pocket one but stereo?
An electret condenser mic needing a 3v input from the device (Pocket 2) or self battery powered.

Ray.
2020-10-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

A good run through some of the audio options.  But there are so many options, the reviewer hasn't covered them all.

2020-10-31
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-31 16:31
A good run through some of the audio options.  But there are so many options, the reviewer hasn't covered them all.

I just found this on YouTube myself. He states that the audio socket is not TRRS compatible without an adapter.
No testing of a stereo mic with the Do It All Handle or the inbuilt surround sound or audio zoom function either.

Ray.
2020-10-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

"Drone Valley" said that from their testing, TRRS doesn't work.  I queried this, pasting DJI's statements into the video comments.  This is the response I got (in part) -

"Peter, thanks for the post and I'll have to disagree with DJI on the TRRS discussion. I have tested it with both a TRS and TRRS mic and only the TRS version works. Also, a TRRS connection has a completely different wiring than a TRS so unless they've got some amazing detection circuit that accounts for this, the statement hasn't been borne out with testing. What I think they meant to say was that you could use a TRRS mic "with an adapter" that converts the wiring to a TRS."Thanks, Rick"

So - it's confusing... In due course when mine arrives I'll be able to test a TRRS phone headset, but I don't have a TRRS lav mic so someone else will have to double check that.

The great thing is that when you consider all the audio aspects of this device - including the options for configuration of the internal mics - there's a remarkable range of audio abilities, considering it's a video device!  In fact, if you have the creator pack, I doubt whether there's anything on the market which out of the box provides such capabilities, at any price.  (Emphasis on "out of the box" - of course you can buy very costly video recorders with XLR inputs and so forth, but even so, they don't come with radio mic as part of the standard package, nor multimic arrays, etc.)
2020-10-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Binaural mic connected to Pocket 2 - fantastic result - I've been doing the same using the Pocket 1 with a Zoom F1 recorder and syncing in post - being able to connect direct is going to be so much easier and I hear no problem with the sound quality - stereo image is just as it should be - not clear if the original audio adapter was used or the new handle.

2020-11-5
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 10-31 18:06
I just found this on YouTube myself. He states that the audio socket is not TRRS compatible without an adapter.
No testing of a stereo mic with the Do It All Handle or the inbuilt surround sound or audio zoom function either.

Pocket 2 spports the most common TRRS standard: CTIA.

2020-11-5
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 10-31 18:06

Pocket 2 spports the most common TRRS standard: CTIA (iPhone, android phone all use CTIA, reference: https://source.android.com/devic ... t/plug-headset-spec )

For another TRRS standard OMTB, the one the YouTube tests  (Nokia uses OMTB) is out-of-date. The OMTB compatibility is so limited, android phone spec lists it optional. Neither does pocket 2.

2020-11-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 11-5 07:43

Thank you for the clarification.
2020-11-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I am now told the video above - binaural sound - was recorded using the original audio adapter from the Pocket 1.  Now as I recall it, there were problems with stereo recording using that adapter with the Pocket 1 (correct me if I'm wrong).  What that video shows is that any such problem does not exist with the original adapter when used with the pocket 2, and (obviously) it is indeed compatible.  In fact, more compatible with the new model than the old!
2020-11-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I don't know whether DJI will still be reading this thread, but if so, I'd love to know how the audio quality (stereo image in particular) is achieved.  The effect is almost binaural.  It's certainly not what one could naturally achieve from such closely spaced omnidirectional mics - presumably some kind of mid/side processing using one foward spacing mic together with the side facing mics in reverse phase?  I am very impressed anyway.
2020-11-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I've at last received my Pocket 2 from a local supplier - easy to deal with any problems, even if it took a while to arrive.

The first thing I did was to delve into the audio side of things - and will continue to delve tomorrow.    But my immediate comments  are as follows -

It does record in stereo from a stereo external mic.  I tried it with an Audio Technica AT8024.  It worked fine but the mic input seemed somewhat insensitive, although that has the advantage that if used to record loud music, it wouldn't easily overload.

Replay through headphones was also fine, although there's no volume control as far as I can see.  Sennheiser HD600 headphones produced an acceptable replay level, but more sensitive sealed back headphones would probably be more practical especially if contending with environmental sounds.

I tried connecting wired earbuds from an Apple phone (TRRS).  The playback was fine but all that was recorded was a continuous tone.  I then tried a set from a Microsoft phone - remember those? - and that provided mono recording and playback without needing to do any disconnecting / reconnecting, but the sound quality was pretty bad (probably more the fault of the headset rather than the Pocket 2).  In other words, results may vary.

Doing a very quick and crude comparison of the Audio Technica mic vs the built in mics on music playing from loudspeakers, the AT was a generally brighter sound in comparison the built in mics, which were a bit short of high frequencies.  I will test further when I get a chance.
2020-11-16
Use props
djiuser_ftUVu6CoYtQR
New
Vietnam

Hi!
Would someone please clarify as if the Poc2 could record stereo audio signal ? In my case I have to review a lot of LP records. My setup : turntable -> mixer -> out to Poc2 via stereo RCA->TRS cable. Would that work?
2020-11-17
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

djiuser_ftUVu6CoYtQR Posted at 11-17 08:45
Hi!
Would someone please clarify as if the Poc2 could record stereo audio signal ? In my case I have to review a lot of LP records. My setup : turntable -> mixer -> out to Poc2 via stereo RCA->TRS cable. Would that work?

If you uses a  3.5mm stereo male line-in to male Microphone attenuator cable (-25dB) it should work but don't feed a mic level input directly into a line level output or you could blow the Pockets' input.
2020-11-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I would strongly discourage anyone actually buying the Pocket 2 for use as an audio recorder - it lacks the audio features of even the most inexpensive recording device, eg the Zoom H1n - for instance, the ability to record uncompressed audio in wave files, proper metering and level control, etc etc.  If you already have the Pocket 2, it might be possible to press it into service as sound recorder which creates large video files with a small audio component, but until I (or someone else) has completed some tests on its performance, it's not clear whether the excellent sound is sound which sounds excellent, or really is excellent.
2020-11-17
Use props
fans8a0d9a12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 65262 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have a (-40db) microphone attenuator cable that I run from my Pioneer mixer into my Sony A7III and this doesn't get detected as a line in on my Pocket 2
2020-11-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I recorded some test tones into my Pocket 2 simply by connecting it to the headphone output of my soundcard with the volume control on the soundcard all the way down.  I set the Pocket 2 to minimum level.  Then I increased the headphone output level till the Pocket 2 level meter was going to about 75% on the peaks.  I didn't use a special lead.  Worked fine.
2020-11-18
Use props
djiuser_FqJI81tVngFl
lvl.1

Canada

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-26 18:48
Hello, thank you for your questions on the DJI Pocket 2.

If you use a wireless mic, it only support the mono

So if reading this correctly the 3.5  mm mic jack on the wireless transmitter is trs only?
2020-11-18
Use props
Vandromeda
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 2020-11-5 07:43

Having just tested with a Rode SmartLav+ - most definitely a TRRS job - it works perfectly. That saves a few bob on an adapter.
2021-2-3
Use props
Vandromeda
lvl.1

United Kingdom

A CTIA format TRRS setup will work - as I have discovered - https://youtu.be/5CJCcoIa_BM
2021-2-8
Use props
Vandromeda
lvl.1

United Kingdom

djiuser_FqJI81tVngFl Posted at 2020-11-18 09:33
If you use a wireless mic, it only support the mono

So if reading this correctly the 3.5  mm mic jack on the wireless transmitter is trs only?

No - you can use TRRS as long as it's CTIA format...
2021-2-8
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

Hello,
do you think that Rode wireless go 2 would give a good result in stereo sound ? Maybe not as good as your video with binaural mics, ...Thanks for your respons.It is exactly what i would like my video sound like. Huge stereo.
bests regards
Yann

2021-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules