Data or WiFi Required?
1326 9 2015-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

Hi Everyone,

I am a little confused. I just bought a P3A and am looking to get a tablet. Before I ask my question, here is what I am trying to achieve: (i) I want to get a GPS lock on my tablet so I can set a home point for RTH, and (ii) I want to see a map of where I am when I fly my P3A. Now to my questions:

(a) Do I NEED to have a network data connection through my cell phone provider to achieve the above?

(b) Do I NEED to have a WiFi connection to achieve the above? Does my device even need to have WiFi?

(c) I have looked through the recommended tablets but they are a little out of my price range. Which tablet would you guys recommend that does not offer any lag, and one that can achieve my aforementioned objectives?

Thank you!
William J

2015-6-25
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

I don't know about the P3, but the Inspire sets the home position either with the GPS in the bird or the GPS in the transmitter.   I have the wifi version of an iPad Air 2, and it works great.  Before I go fly at a new location, I bring up the pilot app, and position the map to that location, and zoom in to cache the map before I leave home.
2015-6-26
Use props
williamjamesfpv
lvl.1

Canada

Starship Posted at 2015-6-26 21:37
I don't know about the P3, but the Inspire sets the home position either with the GPS in the bird or ...

Thank you for your help Starship

WJ
2015-6-26
Use props
ivan.tvrtko
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37740 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Hi, my donation;

a) You do not need to have network data connection. Just open maps in DJI app (on wifi), turn cache on maps, zoom in/out region where would you fly and thats it. Maps is cached via wifi.
b) Yes wifi is needed.
c) Well, its on you. I have iPad mini 2 (Wifi) with no lags or any problems. (PH3-Fw: 1.2.8, DJI IOS app: 1.2.0)
2015-6-27
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1140725 ft
United States

Starship Posted at 2015-6-26 21:37
I don't know about the P3, but the Inspire sets the home position either with the GPS in the bird or ...

Hello there:

Say... I would like to know how much memory you have on board your iPad...I don`t have any Apple yet and have no desire in finding out the hard way when I can use the forum to save myself time and money getting good advice...and how do I use my pics and vids on the Ipad in to my pc world...?
2015-6-27
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

mdazel Posted at 2015-6-28 04:15
Hello there:

Say... I would like to know how much memory you have on board your iPad...I don`t hav ...

64 gigs .....
2015-6-27
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3
United States

hello there:

What is the speed of the processor and how much ram...PLEASE...!!! ;-)
2015-6-27
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

mdazel Posted at 2015-6-28 06:54
hello there:

What is the speed of the processor and how much ram...PLEASE...!!! ;-)

2gig of ram..... Click here for the specs

I'm a PC person, and the iPad Air 2 impressed me.  It does everything fast
2015-6-27
Use props
mavs88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I own a Phantom 3 Pro and fly it with the use of an Apple iPad Air 2 WiFi only. in the field I use the Personal Hotspot of my iPhopne 5s... works perfect. After your flight take a look at the USER CENTRE/Flight records and wait until the location is loaded... if you don't do this you will see "Map loading" and no location...
Another idea is to put off the Auto-Brightness of the iPad... at times your screen may get dark if you operate the drone and fly under bright conditions...
Fly safe!
Max
2015-6-30
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3
United States

mavs88@home.nl Posted at 2015-6-30 23:40
I own a Phantom 3 Pro and fly it with the use of an Apple iPad Air 2 WiFi only. in the field I use t ...

Big Thanks Max...!!! ;-)
2015-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules