RS2 Battery Grip Lock Issues?
10186 30 2020-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Persec
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37411 ft
Canada

Good day, i just recieved my RS2 yesterday afternoon and I believe that the battery/grip lock may not be working as advertised. From my understanding, the center button needs to be pressed when unlocked to release it. However, that is not the case with mine. When the lever is in the unlocked position, the grip will pull free with minimal effort or with a slight wiggle. tThe lock lever only seems to start working within 2-3mm of hitting the end stop which dosent feel like its enough since the grip still has some wiggle and it requires little to no force to hit it out of lock.

Is anyone else having similar issues?

Cheers
B
2020-10-27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, we are sorry about the product issue you experienced. Could you please provide any pictures or videos according to the grip lock issues? We will forward with the engineer for the reference and will update with you once we have conclusion.

Thank you!
2020-10-28
Use props
Persec
lvl.2
Canada

I’ve already contacted DJI Custoner Service and forwarded the linked video of the issue.

https://youtu.be/Z1lnDxyZ6tw
2020-10-28
Use props
djiuser_pejuVBpw3pJ0
New

United States

same issue. were you able to get an answer from DJI?
2020-10-30
Use props
Persec
lvl.2
Canada

djiuser_pejuVBpw3pJ0 Posted at 10-30 10:40
same issue. were you able to get an answer from DJI?

Nothing yet. I called Tuesday morning and they wanted a video, which i sent to them Wednesday. They replied wanting more information........name, address, serial number, proof of purchase. That was Thursday and I'm still waiting on a reply.

2020-10-30
Use props
Persec
lvl.2
Canada

Received an email from DJI this morning for an exchange.

Just waiting for the shipping labels to send this one back.
2020-10-31
Use props
TJROTH
lvl.1

United States

I had a similar issue but with getting it to lock.

I just got mine in the mail this morning.  Opened it up, followed the setup guide, installed the battery as instructed, and then the locking mechanism was stuck in the middle and wouldn't lock.  The grip felt flimsy and not stable.  It was shaking if I moved the gimbal around to make sure it was sturdy.

Waiting for DJI Pro Support to contact me.  Probably going to need a replacement from the looks of it.
2020-11-2
Use props
TJROTH
lvl.1

United States

Lock Stuck
2020-11-2
Use props
TJROTH
lvl.1

United States

Just got off the phone with DJI.  Going through the replacement process now.  Hopefully the next one works...
2020-11-2
Use props
Persec
lvl.2
Canada

TJROTH Posted at 11-2 12:01
Just got off the phone with DJI.  Going through the replacement process now.  Hopefully the next one works...

I admit it is not the greatest lock design I have ever seen....something tells me that there will be more of these popping up.
2020-11-2
Use props
Akihiro Sakai
lvl.1

Japan

HI,
I have same issue, and I sent my RS2 unit to DJI support the other day to check this behavior themselvs.
In Japan, not only me, but also so many users (probably, 70%-90%) have same issue.
I hope DJI admit this is the production error, and solve this problem ASAP.
2020-11-3
Use props
Persec
lvl.2
Canada

Akihiro Sakai Posted at 11-3 23:18
HI,
I have same issue, and I sent my RS2 unit to DJI support the other day to check this behavior themselvs.
In Japan, not only me, but also so many users (probably, 70%-90%) have same issue.

Those numbers are not reassuring!

Hopefully the replacements are problem free....fingers crossed.
2020-11-4
Use props
TJROTH
lvl.1

United States

Persec Posted at 11-4 06:57
Those numbers are not reassuring!

Hopefully the replacements are problem free....fingers crossed.

Yea same.  Akihiro's post is a cause for concern.

I want to be hopeful here but if it is an inherent design flaw, there are likely a lot of units like this on the market and it would likely require a factory recall, redesign, and reproduction.  The lead time for that could be some time if they discover it's affecting lots of units

Such a bummer.
2020-11-4
Use props
Persec
lvl.2
Canada

I hope for everyone’s sake that these issues are limited to a certain production range and not the entire release. I cringe to think of how many cameras and lenses could be potentially damaged or destroyed.  A bummer indeed
2020-11-4
Use props
Akihiro Sakai
lvl.1

Japan

Hi,
Below link are reports of same issue by Japanese users.
https://twitter.com/kh1023_SFC/status/1323596912906301446?s=20
https://twitter.com/1HandS7/status/1323570814239666177?s=20
https://twitter.com/SL_yamato/status/1323603374801969152?s=20
https://twitter.com/Sakai_fw/status/1322018650249814016?s=20
According to these users, although "DEMO" unit has same issue too.
I beleive this is critical production error. But as TJROTH mentioned, it would take long lead time to solve...

2020-11-4
Use props
Persec
lvl.2
Canada

Akihiro Sakai Posted at 11-4 20:12
Hi,
Below link are reports of same issue by Japanese users.
https://twitter.com/kh1023_SFC/status/1323596912906301446?s=20

Thanks for posting those links.

I've watched a few reviews  on youtube and have seen  the reviewer remove the battery without pressing the center button without questioning it.
2020-11-5
Use props
Akihiro Sakai
lvl.1

Japan

Hi, I received official answer about this issue from DJI JAPAN support team.
Please refer below. (I'm sorry, I translated to English but it might be not correct English due to my poor English skill)

■BG30 グリップの外し方について
現在公式HPに掲載されている英文マニュアルには、グリップの外し方の説明として
「レバーをロック解除位置に切り替え、安全ボタンを押したまま、グリップをジンバルから引き離します。」と表記されておりますが
こちらの説明は不十分であり、正しい説明の記載になっていないことを確認いたしました。

*Regarding how to detach BG30 grip.
The English manual which is provided on offical web mentioned "To remove the grip, toggle the lever to the unlocked position, hold down the safety button, and pull the grip away from the gimbal."
as how to detach the grip, but this is not enoguh and we confirmed it's not correct Explanation.

この安全ボタンは、「BG30 グリップ等を本体への取り付け時にしっかりと固定させる役割」と、
「取り外し時に押す事で、スムーズにBG30 グリップ等を取り外せるという役割」がございます。

This safety button has the rolls of "fixed the girp to body when attaching the grip" and "detach the grip smoothly when detaching the grip by holding the button".

しかしながら、ボタンを押す事でスムーズに取り外し可能にはなるものの、
本製品はレバーを解除の位置にした場合でも取り外しが可能となります。

However, user can detach the grip if lever is on "released" position even if holding button makes grip can be detatched smoothly.

現在のマニュアルには、安全ボタンを押して取り外す事のみが掲載されていた為
記載が不十分でございました。

Current manual only says "detaching the grip by holding down the safety button". it was not enoguh explanation.

大変なご心配とご迷惑をおかけしまして申し訳ございません。
マニュアルに関しましては速やかに修正するよう努めさせていただきます。

I'm sorry for your concern.
We'll fixed the manual as soon as possible.

■レバーのロック位置について

弊社公式の製品動画などでは、レバーがロックマークの位置まで動いているのを確認できますが、
このレバーはロックマーク側の方にきつく締めることでロックされる仕様となります。
個体差により、ここの可動域は異なりますが、きつくなったポジションになった状態であれば
ロックされている事を意味しております。
レバーがロックマークの方向にしっかり締められていれば、グリップが外れることはありませんので、
安心してご利用いただけます。

*Regarding the position of lock.
You can confirm user can move lever to "Lock" position on our offical movie.
This lever means, body holds the grip tightly when moving lock lever to "Lock" position.
Range of motino is not common due to the unit differences, if this lever is closed tightly, it means locked.
If lever is moved to "lock" position tightly, the grip is never detached.
You can use without any worries

I cannot beleive this is "Safety" button.
How do you feel about this?
2020-11-5
Use props
Persec
lvl.2
Canada

Akihiro Sakai Posted at 11-5 05:34
Hi, I received official answer about this issue from DJI JAPAN support team.
Please refer below. (I'm sorry, I translated to English but it might be not correct English due to my poor English skill)

Besides being able to pull the battery grip without pressing the button, my units rotating lock just didn't work....It took little to no force to move it into lock or unlock.

I think that i'll need to modify my replacement.
2020-11-5
Use props
ayush
New
India

Hi... I got my new Ronin RS2 today. And unfortunately my grip lock wouldn’t lock completely. It’s just going half way and then doesn’t move at all. Without the full locking I wouldn’t use my Sony camera on it.

What’s the course of action I need to take? Please help. How do I approach DJI to replace the gimbal?

I purchased it in India from www.imastudent.com... a reputed photography and videography gear seller.

Thank you all.

Regards,
Ayush Prasad

56DB40BA-D798-48EF-A646-58549DF42462.jpeg
955D6AB9-E400-4D9C-B4DC-C589B3940304.jpeg
2020-12-17
Use props
Persec
lvl.2
Canada

Just contact DJI. Check the website for contact info and intructions
2020-12-17
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

I literally bought mine today and have the same issue. My lock stops in EXACTLY the same position. Not exactly filled with confidence,
2020-12-21
Use props
ToscanaDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Same thing here!
2020-12-21
Use props
megac
lvl.1

Germany

exactly the same thing here... lock stuck halfway inbetween "lock and unlock" ... more force is likely distroying something.
I've waited for more then 2 month now , and received the RS2-Pro-combo from an official german dealer...so the issue seems to affect nearly the whole charge..... what to do now..... resending takes another few month ...... aint there any fix , we can do ourself ?

...found the reason (but no solution).

The necessary way of movement of the broad stirrup is about 3mm , but the notch at the top of the batterygrip has only 2 mm. (see pictures).
So the securelock blocks halfway because this metalpiece cannot move fullway out ... the turning knob itself works as designed , as long as the battery is not inserted...and now ???
Looks like DJI has either to produce a full new set of batteries or reconstruct the locking mechanism with a reduced lockingway by 1 mmm.....

Either way...it looks like another delay by a few month

the good side of it..as i can see the stirrup is fully engaged in the notch ...so even if not in lockposition it should be impossible disconnecting the grip accidentally, AS LONG, AS NO ONE MOVES THE LEVER ...and even then... it will be only become a disaster if the whole gimbal is upside down.... the force with the cam comes from the top to bottom .....
I only try to find a way to start using it...

DJI-RS2-Pro-Lock.jpg
2021-1-30
Use props
shanuHMD
lvl.1

India

megac Posted at 1-30 04:33
exactly the same thing here... lock stuck halfway inbetween "lock and unlock" ... more force is likely distroying something.
I've waited for more then 2 month now , and received the RS2-Pro-combo from an official german dealer...so the issue seems to affect nearly the whole charge..... what to do now..... resending takes another few month ...... aint there any fix , we can do ourself ?

oh my god....now my sleep is gone...I too have the same problem and I only just bought it
2021-3-2
Use props
djiuser_LtZI3R7ym6z2
New

United States

TJROTH Posted at 2020-11-2 11:20
[view_image]

Lock Stuck

What was your fix for making it go past the middle? I just open mine and it does that.
2021-9-2
Use props
djiuser_LtZI3R7ym6z2
New

United States

TJROTH Posted at 2020-11-2 11:20
[view_image]

Lock Stuck

What was your fix for making it go past the middle? I just open mine and it does that.
2021-9-2
Use props
onlypapai
lvl.1

India

I just received my RS2 Pro Combo yesterday from Amazon. Having same problem. Should I return it to Amazon or write to DJI ? Shall be using it with BMPCC 6K .
2022-1-29
Use props
Del Rio
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25226 ft

Argentina

Yesterday February 8th 2022 I bought a Ronin RS2, more than one year since this forum was opened by a user with a faulty lever, and I am terribly disappointed at DJI for not having it fixed by now.

The lever in my unit is exactly the same as all the other that are mentioned in this forum. I talked to DJI support and they're more about "sorry, I feel bad for you, I know what you mean " than working on the issue, FIXING it and providing real support to their users. I even got a few emojis with sad faces and even crying faces. If the complaint was face to face, that girl at support would've probably given me a hug, and I don't need a hug lady, I just need this stupid lever to be LOCKED so I can SAFELY use this gimbal with any camera and lens that I want.

She followed to say that "according to their records, there has never been a complaint from users regarding this lever since the release of the RS2". To which I replied thats not true, because its all over the DJI forums. To which she replied "oh, I haven't checked the forums". ...

I am going to return this gimbal, since I can't trust an expensive camera and expensive lens, with it. If I purchased an RS2 above any other gimbal is exactly because its lightweight, and strong, supporting 4.4Kg of payload. But, this all comes to nothing, if the system itself is poorly designed and not provide the safety net able to hold all the money that is put on its shoulders.

This is not a toy, and DJI is thousands of miles away from being a serious company as Manfrotto, Arri, Canon, Sony, or even GoPro, from which I had a faulty part a couple of years ago, and it only took 10 minutes  through support to provide a serial number, a picture of the faulty part, for them to take action and deliver FOR FREE a new part. No emojis, no empathy, not pretending to be your friend, just providing real professional support to their users. Thats a company I can trust, and not this joke that DJI is becoming.
2022-2-9
Use props
djiuser_5PNMWycI6sOp
lvl.1

Netherlands

Sadly I've got mine today, march 2022 and the issue is still there. The lock doesn't move any further than half way, which doesn't feel good. Weirdly enough, my Ronin S had exactly the same issue.... Will DJI look at these forum posts at all to get back to us?
2022-3-23
Use props
ProPhotog
lvl.2

United States

I just received my 2nd RS-2 from Amazon after having returned the first one due to the grip lock not locking in place. This one has the same problem!! DJI stop trying to explain this problem away and fix it! I am not willing to trust my 8K camera unless this defect is fixed! Returning this one to Amazon also!
2022-6-7
Use props
djiuser_SnGilNqG3zI4
New
Flight distance : 26916 ft
Hungary

Hello! I have the rs3 combo but the battery grip not locking. Its stop half way. Can you replace it please?
2022-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules