Wouldn't this be cool for the Mavic Air 2 - USB-C Charging!
3286 27 2020-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Would this save us time, weight, portability and convenience, if we could charge our drone batteries via a USB-C port on the battery itself, therefore removing the need for charging bricks and different connectors between our drones, instead we could charge all of our drone batteries directly via the same chargers that we use for our mobile phones!

DJI PLEASE could you pass this to your R&D team for serious consideration?
2020-10-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 great idea.
2020-10-27
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I agree with you.
2020-10-27
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

And when the connector gets bad you have a bad battery. Also will add more weight and more possible point of failures + fires because of the heat... DJI won't want to be liable for that.
I don't know if I like the idea. The less point of failure inside the battery the better.  
2020-10-27
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

ZeuS-FL Posted at 10-27 09:07
And when the connector gets bad you have a bad battery. Also will add more weight and more possible point of failures + fires because of the heat... DJI won't want to be liable for that.
I don't know if I like the idea. The less point of failure inside the battery the better.

Charging bricks are more fire prone than a low voltage USB-C port, this is simpler actually and less risky!
2020-10-27
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

sergeant Posted at 10-27 09:32
Charging bricks are more fire prone than a low voltage USB-C port, this is simpler actually and less risky!

I prefer to having the risk outside the battery instead of inside.
2020-10-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello sergeant, thank you for reaching us out and I appreciate the video you have shared. We currently only have separate chargers for every drones to ensure the battery safety but I will forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product.

Thank you for your support.
2020-10-27
Use props
MisterFrag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Keep in mind that there is a weight penalty for the drone -- the charging circuitry doesn't come free in terms of mass and size. It's not going to be much, but DJI already goes to great lengths to keep weight down, optimizing materials and mechanical designs.

Also, unless you have a USB C port that supports Power Delivery, charging the 3500 mAh batteries is going to take many hours.
2020-10-27
Use props
Scarves UP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

+1 for the idea
2020-10-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Nice, thanks for sharing
2020-10-27
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MisterFrag Posted at 10-27 09:50
Keep in mind that there is a weight penalty for the drone -- the charging circuitry doesn't come free in terms of mass and size. It's not going to be much, but DJI already goes to great lengths to keep weight down, optimizing materials and mechanical designs.

Also, unless you have a USB C port that supports Power Delivery, charging the 3500 mAh batteries is going to take many hours.

We'll the Anafi takes just 70 minutes to full charge via USB-C and a regular 2amp supply, so it actually wouldn't take a considerable time. Plus the batteries are super lightweight despite containing all that is required to charge them.
2020-10-27
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

ZeuS-FL Posted at 10-27 09:07

Out of curiosity, which USB-C devices do you have where the "connector gets bad"? What about the Osmo Pocket/Pocket 2, which both ONLY have USB-C charging, how about most leading mobile phones, which only have USB-C?

Sorry, but your argument falls over entirely...USB-C charging is STANDARD now for almost all consumer devices, including $2000 laptops...
2020-10-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool - thanks for sharing
2020-10-27
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great idea

It would be great to see DJI implementing this idea.
2020-10-27
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Great idea.  Agreed that almost everything is either using USB-C or migrating towards that.
Note that the Mavic Mini already uses a USB port on the aircraft for charging the battery while inside the drone - except that it's a Micro USB...  At least one of leaked photos of the aleged to be soon released Mini 2 shows that it changed that to a USB-C - so there is hope...
And yea, I know that the Mini battery is much smaller than the MA2 or 2MP...
2020-10-27
Use props
MisterFrag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

sergeant Posted at 10-27 11:27
We'll the Anafi takes just 70 minutes to full charge via USB-C and a regular 2amp supply, so it actually wouldn't take a considerable time. Plus the batteries are super lightweight despite containing all that is required to charge them.

The Anafi has a smaller capacity battery and the time to fully charge it is 70 minutes with a 24 Watt USB-C Power Delivery compatible charger. With a regular USB port as the power source, charge times will be almost five times as long.
2020-10-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It would most certainly be cool!
But slow probably.
2020-10-28
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

There are a few points:
1. Number of cells, my phone has 1 cell battery (4Ah) while MA2 is using 3 cell setup (3,5Ah). My stock PD wallcharger for phone can output 3A at 5V and 1,5A at 12V (18W, not the most powerful in the world but not that old) while DJI brick outputs 2,8A at 13,2V (38W).
2. Connector setup, USB-C is designed for Data, Video and Power transfer between devices with specified pin layout but DJI needs high power connection* for proper (balanced) charging of multi cell Smart battery.
* This means battery +, battery -, cell 1 +, cell 1 -, cell 2 +, cell 2 -, cell 3 + and cell 3 - high power pin connection. Aditional device to supply power in Smart battery from USB-C port to individual cells would generate heat.

So it would be nice to have one wallcharger for all devices (I don't mind charging phone, controller and batteries one by one in most cases), but I don't believe this gonna happen soon as it needs to be developed precisely.
2020-10-28
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

MisterFrag Posted at 10-27 20:01
The Anafi has a smaller capacity battery and the time to fully charge it is 70 minutes with a 24 Watt USB-C Power Delivery compatible charger. With a regular USB port as the power source, charge times will be almost five times as long.

Via a regular USB port from a device, yes, but from a mobile phone charging brick which provides 20 watts (such as the latest iPhone chargers) would charge quickly. And a reminder again, the DJI Spark and Mavic Mini/Mini 2 charge only via USB charging, smaller batteries yes but it really doesn't take at all long to charge.
Just to be clear, this doesn't even have to replace charging bricks, but just be an accompanying feature to give consumers options, maybe even a choice of battery, one with the port and one without.

Read the comments on the video, this idea is VERY popular.
2020-10-28
Use props
xagoras
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1357589 ft
Greece

I'm not familiar with the technical difficulties of the matter, but it could be very handy to have a dual charging system. Keep the current system for charging when at home, implement the USB charging for a charge when out in the field and need that one extra battery to get some shots.

It would be pretty cool to know that you can charge a battery even from a powerbank when needed.
2020-10-28
Use props
Mortensldk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

+1 great idea.
2020-10-28
Use props
itsdavesdrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Mini 2 has USB-C apparently... seems they are adding it now.
2020-10-28
Use props
sergeant
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

itsdavesdrone Posted at 10-28 14:32
The Mini 2 has USB-C apparently... seems they are adding it now.

Yes but not directly to the battery.
2020-10-28
Use props
alloffroad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6339409 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I 1000% second that
2020-10-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

+1 great idea.
2020-10-29
Use props
Chrizo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13921 ft
United States

I disagree
2021-1-2
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 119967 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

This must be regulated by governments also. PD technology has enought for any kind of charge. DJI sure will take some action in near future. TypeC PD charge ok, but also the battery connection terminals need to be fixed size and shape. There is no reason to change connection terminal on any new device. Save the world DJI and all others, take the necessary actions.
2021-1-2
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Oh YES, I noticed that during the Spark / MP era (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=132759).

Please DJI, stop this mischief.
2021-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules