Loosing Satellites, GPS Data Error
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dennis D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143468 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm having issues with GPS Data Error and satellites.  Here's a link to my flight log from today - https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/ZHAFWAJ0US45VZ3RGPRJ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
2020-10-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You don't mention losing the Phantom.
Did you recover it?

There's something odd with the number of satellites dropping from around 16 to zero several times during the flight and staying at zero for the last 3.5 minutes.

However the drone's position is recorded and shown for the whole flight, even when zero sats are reported.
2020-10-27
Use props
Dennis D
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-27 14:50
You don't mention losing the Phantom.
Did you recover it?

I had the drone in my sight the whole time. Once it reconnected I was able to bring it back to me and land.  I had 2 sessions and both exhibited the same issues.
2020-10-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Dennis D. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank for reaching out. If GPS errors occur, GPS satellites may not be detected by your DJI Drone. This quandary may be caused by communication link errors. I would recommend for your to sync the flight records using the DJI Go 4 application and contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. Again I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for understanding.
2020-10-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Dennis,

Had a look at your flight.

You did start your flight with 0 satellites and 0 reception, until 29 seconds flying in OPTI mode.
(at 11s messge in the app: "Weak GPS signal. Positional accuracy may be compromised. Please fly with caution.")

During your flight many errors, see my charts of your data.

From 4m17 approx  number of GPS satellites and its reception starts to fluctuate, finally both becoming zero.
At 4m21.7 in OPTI again (fly within sensor range), after that in ATTI
At 4.28 again GPS reception, so in P-GPS.
But at 7m4s in ATTI, GPS to zero for both values, back again after few secs.
Last part in ATTI and OPTI.

LAT and LON were recorded (after 29 seconds and further). With GPS data errors in the log and recorded positions, error must be in your P4.
If due to GPS errors this is seen :  "Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution", GPS numbers are not used (thus zero in the log), even if the signals are received.(that`s why in ATTI mode due to GPS errors LATLON is always present in logs, present for postion recordings but not used for P-GPS modes)

PS chart2 doesnt show end of flight, to many lines....but see the other chart for GPS and GPS reception values.

It landed far away from HP ; did you recover your P4?

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
2020-10-28
Use props
Dennis D
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Hi JJB,

Thank you for the detailed analysis of the flight log. I purposely let the battery level get to a point so the RTH would kick in and it landed just 20' from the original home point. I should also mention that I started getting message about "Attempting to upgrade firmware with an incompatible device" or something along those lines. This comes up when I first power everything on. The question know is do I need to send it in for repairs.

Thanks you,
Dennis Derringer
2020-10-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dennis D Posted at 10-28 04:38
Hi JJB,

Thank you for the detailed analysis of the flight log. I purposely let the battery level get to a point so the RTH would kick in and it landed just 20' from the original home point. I should also mention that I started getting message about "Attempting to upgrade firmware with an incompatible device" or something along those lines. This comes up when I first power everything on. The question know is do I need to send it in for repairs.

Hi Dennis,

do we talk about the same log?  in this log the P4 landed 3259 meters away from Homepoint, and not i n RTH.

But about your question ; 2 things you can do as an user...before sending it in for DJI repair.
1) calibrate IMU  an 2) re-install firmware, afterwards do a check flight in a safe envirioment.

cheers
JJB

2020-10-28
Use props
Dennis D
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

JJB,

This is getting really messed up....  DJO GO App always said my firmware was up-to-date, but when I connected to DJI Assistant on my PC it indicated I was a revision behind so I updated it. My first test flight after doing so resulted in only 1 minor (10 seconds) loss of GPS signal due to low signal, but quickly regained connection to ~15 satellites. On my second test flight a few hours later, DJO GO indicated there was a firmware update (the one I already installed), but I ignored it. I flew until the low-battery warning came on and not once did I get a GPS error or lose any satellites.

In regard to the 3259 meters away from the home point, it may be due to GPS data errors or the home point being updated during flight. I promise, it was only around 20' from where I took off

Thanks,

Dennis
2020-10-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dennis D Posted at 10-28 12:27
JJB,

This is getting really messed up....  DJO GO App always said my firmware was up-to-date, but when I connected to DJI Assistant on my PC it indicated I was a revision behind so I updated it. My first test flight after doing so resulted in only 1 minor (10 seconds) loss of GPS signal due to low signal, but quickly regained connection to ~15 satellites. On my second test flight a few hours later, DJO GO indicated there was a firmware update (the one I already installed), but I ignored it. I flew until the low-battery warning came on and not once did I get a GPS error or lose any satellites.

Hi Dennis,

yes, i see now in the log that distance is somehow wrongly calculated, due to zero GPS reception.

Good that the next flight was normal, but be carefull...

Happy many landings close to HP  ;-)
Cheers JJB
2020-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules