RAW+JPEG why?
4446 9 2020-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alex_alb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260735 ft
Portugal

Why do I have to take JPEG + RAW photos? If I want RAW photos, I will convert them to JPEG later ... and I don't need to take up space on the card with photos that I won't use.

Maybe it's to be used immediately in the DJY Fly app to make short videos. But can't they be converted at the moment?

DJI...JPEG and RAW thanks!

2020-10-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I don't need to take up space on the card with photos that I won't use.
The smallest SD card you can find these days is 32GB.
Even  these small cards have room for thousands of jpg image files so the  space the jpg images from one or two flights occupy isn't any concern at  all.

If you are shooting raw, the jpg files  serve as good preview images but the tiny included thumbnalis inside each dng file are too small to be much use for assessing your images.

2020-10-28
Use props
Electromen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 275531 ft
United States

I don't see it as a big deal.  A 128 GB SD mini card is $24, 256GB = $45.
2020-10-28
Use props
alex_alb
lvl.4
Portugal

the space of the card, even the cost of them is not the issue here. I have a Canon 5D3, if I want RAW I take photos in RAW, if I want JPEG, I take photos in JPEG and if I want both I can also choose. With MA2, I can't choose just RAW, or just JPEG? the processing time of an AEB is much longer when I choose raw + jpeg. And then I end up deleting the JPEGs, because the RAW files are used for editing.
2020-10-28
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

alex_alb Posted at 10-28 12:50
the space of the card, even the cost of them is not the issue here. I have a Canon 5D3, if I want RAW I take photos in RAW, if I want JPEG, I take photos in JPEG and if I want both I can also choose. With MA2, I can't choose just RAW, or just JPEG? the processing time of an AEB is much longer when I choose raw + jpeg. And then I end up deleting the JPEGs, because the RAW files are used for editing.

I completely agree with you. It is not a problem of memory space, the query refers to the utility that we can give or not to JPG files, I also have a Canon EOS M50 and I can select what I want. If I only work in RAW, JPGs are not necessary. Now, it can also be what the colleagues point out, that it may be that the DJI Fly application uses them for its editor or thumbnails.
2020-10-28
Use props
alex_alb
lvl.4
Portugal

JM.REYES Posted at 10-28 13:25
I completely agree with you. It is not a problem of memory space, the query refers to the utility that we can give or not to JPG files, I also have a Canon EOS M50 and I can select what I want. If I only work in RAW, JPGs are not necessary. Now, it can also be what the colleagues point out, that it may be that the DJI Fly application uses them for its editor or thumbnails.

I realize this need to have JPEG for the app to build the videos, or even the samples. But couldn't that be done on the phone?
2020-10-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi alex_alb, thanks for reaching out! We currently only have a JPEG and/or JPEG+RAW format option for taking photos, but I will forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product.

Thank you for your support.
2020-10-28
Use props
Kamil Szyler
New

Poland

So? It's been a year and nothing changed, Did You forward this feeedback to Your developers? Probably not...
2021-10-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kamil Szyler Posted at 10-22 12:07
So? It's been a year and nothing changed, Did You forward this feeedback to Your developers? Probably not...

It is not going to change anything, they will continue to use JPEG+RAW. It is necessary to produce the JPEG files in the camera because it is necessary for preview purposes. Remember, the viewing device is in the RC unit, not the camera, so the pictures have to be converted to a simple, low bitrate form so they can be transmitted by radio to the RC unit. That way you can see the image for framing and also preview the shot after having taken it.
2021-10-22
Use props
murkybrew
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4515705 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 10-22 14:54
It is not going to change anything, they will continue to use JPEG+RAW. It is necessary to produce the JPEG files in the camera because it is necessary for preview purposes. Remember, the viewing device is in the RC unit, not the camera, so the pictures have to be converted to a simple, low bitrate form so they can be transmitted by radio to the RC unit. That way you can see the image for framing and also preview the shot after having taken it.

DJI Go 4 has an option to save RAW only and still saves a cached JPEG file on the phone for previews/gallery just fine. You don't have to render and save JPEG alongside RAW files on the SD card for this.
2021-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules