about the return to home point via remote control
754 4 2020-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
happyjack70
lvl.1

United States

Hello Good People,

I don't normally post here, but a warm greetings to you from Southern California.

My question is setting the rth to go to the remote control.

For example: next month, I will be at the desert and wanted active tracking to follow my car off highway. When I set the rth via remote control (for it to come back to the remote control) on the spark, I then want to drive 1 mile from the departure area and have my spark, when its batteries are low, to go to that new area 1 mile away from where it took off. My question is: how many times do I press the rth to remote control button before I arrive at my destination (in case the batteries die it needs to know to come to my remote since I'm driving away from the departure point)? Should I be driving with the remote control on my lap and pressing the rth to come to my remote every few minutes or so (no worries, it's out in the desert and there's no one). The remote control is being used via my samsung and the cable that connects the phone to the remote control. I don't want the spark to fly back to its departure area, but to where my car arrives 1 mile away *from* the departure area.

My beginner mode is off.

Thank you for any tips or information coming this way.

Sincerely,

Jack
2020-10-28
Use props
Martyzion
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1976608 ft
United States

As long as you have GPS on your Samsung you can manually update the home point to where the controller is currently.  When I tried the Spark in P-mode with active track to follow on bicycle,  I had to stop a few times so as to to manually update the home point.  For now active track on the Spark doesn't offer dynamic RTH to controller like with the Mavic series.
2020-10-28
Use props
happyjack70
lvl.1

United States

I see what you're saying. What happened was I thought spark had dynamic rth, but because it doesn't, manual setting of the rth is necessary. I get it! Thanks so much and happy flying folks!

Sincerely,

Jack
2020-10-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello happyjack70, thank you for reaching us out and I appreciate your inquiry. Comment from Martyzion under the reply #2 is correct. You will need to update the Return to home record if you want to ensure that the Spark will land where you at. You can check below an additional information that is helpful.

Enjoy flying and always fly safe!

2020-10-30
Use props
happyjack70
lvl.1

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-30 12:33
Hello happyjack70, thank you for reaching us out and I appreciate your inquiry. Comment from Martyzion under the reply #2 is correct. You will need to update the Return to home record if you want to ensure that the Spark will land where you at. You can check below an additional information that is helpful.

Enjoy flying and always fly safe!

Hi again Martyzion and DJI Paladin,

A quick update: as I was checking my phone and remote before my trip, I flew the spark a few times. It turns out that in the last update about two months ago, DJI must have uploaded a dynamic home return point that one can turn on (unless I am looking at the screen incorrectly). I would take a screen shot for you but am not the most tech savvy in the world. Mine was already on with the switch in blue, so that means all those times I manually pressed rth every other minute was unnecessary, lol. No problem though. Here is the last time I was out at the outskirts of Death Valley with the Spark (the time when I still didn't know I had my a dynamic home return enabled).

Thanks for your help thus far.

Sincerely,

Jack

2020-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules