Stuck getting RS2+RavenEye+A7R2 working together
12Next >
20487 68 2020-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Prezmc
lvl.1
United States

I followed the instructions: RavenEye HDMI connects to Sony HDMI, Sony control (MicroUSB) connects to RS2 RSS port (USB C). RavenEye Connects to RS2 with the image transmission/com ports (USB C on both ends).

I can now control the gimbal from my phone using force mobile, etc.  
I cannot see any video on the ronin app (black screen).

I think the problem is with the menus/settings on the sony related to HDMI and USB, but I can't seem to get them right.  Nor have I found where those are documented?

Any help is appreciated.

thanks!

2020-10-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, could you please check the cable with USB-C on both ends is the shorter one (20cm, not the 40cm version)? If its still exist, could you share a video regarding with the issues you mentioned for us on reference? Thank you.
2020-10-28
Use props
Prezmc
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-28 20:06
Hello, could you please check the cable with USB-C on both ends is the shorter one (20cm, not the 40cm version)? If its still exist, could you share a video regarding with the issues you mentioned for us on reference? Thank you.

Video explaining issue: https://youtu.be/8jtdpEmyBIU

Yes, it's the shorter of the USB-C to USB-C Cables (as can be seen in the linked video.

Thanks!
2020-10-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Prezmc Posted at 10-28 20:45
Video explaining issue: https://youtu.be/8jtdpEmyBIU

Yes, it's the shorter of the USB-C to USB-C Cables (as can be seen in the linked video.

Hello, we just checked with our engineers about the issue. The Sony A7S3/A7M3/A7R2 does not support 4K video recording and HDMI output at the same time. In other words, when the HDMI cable and the USB are used together, the camera cannot output the video signal to the image transmission receiver.

But if you use the video resolution that is lower than the 4K, the RavenEyes and the Camera will work together and you can check the video on the app.

Let us know if you still have further questions.

Thanks!
2020-10-28
Use props
Prezmc
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-28 23:37
Hello, we just checked with our engineers about the issue. The Sony A7S3/A7M3/A7R2 does not support 4K video recording and HDMI output at the same time. In other words, when the HDMI cable and the USB are used together, the camera cannot output the video signal to the image transmission receiver.

But if you use the video resolution that is lower than the 4K, the RavenEyes and the Camera will work together and you can check the video on the app.

OK - so to be super clear.  All I need to do is change the video recording quality down to any 1080 setting, and all the sudden this setup works?  That's a big downer.  Does the system work with an A7R4 in 4k?

Update: that video record setting made zero difference.  the camera is now set to AVCHD (1080) 24P, same issue.  

2020-10-29
Use props
JerryPeter
New

United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-28 23:37

But if you use the video resolution that is lower than the 4K, the RavenEyes and the Camera will work together and you can check the video on the app.

I don't think this statement is true, I can record 4K internal and at the same time output 4K to my Atmos Ninja and record 4K
2020-10-29
Use props
Prezmc
lvl.1
United States

JerryPeter Posted at 10-29 22:27
I don't think this statement is true, I can record 4K internal and at the same time output 4K to my Atmos Ninja and record 4K

Interesting find this morning.  I left the rig all wired up last night, just turned it off and plugged in the battery grip to recharge.  I booted everything up today to mess with it, and decided to switch the camera back to 4k, just because.  And it works!  Very weird behavior.  I am going to do some actual filming tonight, so it will be put to the test.  I have some basic gimbal shots to do, but also need to try the activetrack.  Hoping it all works.  If not, I do have an A7R4 available.
2020-10-30
Use props
JerryPeter
New

United States

Prezmc Posted at 10-30 07:24
Interesting find this morning.  I left the rig all wired up last night, just turned it off and plugged in the battery grip to recharge.  I booted everything up today to mess with it, and decided to switch the camera back to 4k, just because.  And it works!  Very weird behavior.  I am going to do some actual filming tonight, so it will be put to the test.  I have some basic gimbal shots to do, but also need to try the activetrack.  Hoping it all works.  If not, I do have an A7R4 available.

Without any firmware update? Can you share your HDMI settings I am really on the fence to return the RS2 just because RavenEye doesnt show any output when I start recording 4K in my Sony A7III
2020-10-30
Use props
djiuser010101
lvl.3
Malta

I just have a feeling that you left the lens cap on.
2020-10-31
Use props
Amır Adıb
lvl.1

United States

Similar issue. I think that Sony cameras can't output to the SD card, the LCD monitor, and the RavenEye all at once. It has to pick 2 of the 3 once you hit record.

On my setup, the LCD monitor goes black when I record in HD or 4k.  Which is a bummer, because I use the LCD monitor for several reasons, and I use the RavenEye for an extended view and active track. Really sucks I can't do all three.

Does anyone know a way around this?
2020-10-31
Use props
Amır Adıb
lvl.1

United States

Okay.. and now I'm testing again and the screen is black even when I'm NOT recording. Just simply plugging in the HDMI cable makes the LCD go black. But this wasn't happening yesterday,

What am I doing wrong?

I have the output going to my phone on the Ronin app. The screen on my Sony A7riii is just black though.
2020-10-31
Use props
Amır Adıb
lvl.1

United States

This video will help Sony users https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BY0T_UY06U

I just learned that i have to disabled the HDMI Settings ->  HDMI Info. Display to OFF.

Once it's off, you'll get a display on your phone and the rear LCD. In 1080HD, it will stay on during recording. In 4K, the LCD will turn off.
2020-10-31
Use props
Prezmc
lvl.1
United States

djiuser010101 Posted at 10-31 01:53
I just have a feeling that you left the lens cap on.

Funny, but no.  If you go look @ the video I created for the DJI support folks, you can see the screen black out happening when a cable plugs in.
2020-10-31
Use props
Prezmc
lvl.1
United States

JerryPeter Posted at 10-30 13:17
Without any firmware update? Can you share your HDMI settings I am really on the fence to return the RS2 just because RavenEye doesnt show any output when I start recording 4K in my Sony A7III

Correct, no updates.  I have attached a couple photos here with everything in 4k, recording, and showing 4k and HDMI setting screens.  When recording starts the camera screen goes black, but the phone screen stays on (which I think is fine when I am using the RavenEye, but I'll have to use it more). when recording stops, both screens are on.   
Not recording:

Recording:

4k settings:

HDMI settings:
2020-10-31
Use props
djiuser_ZAxer3kx6vxR
lvl.1
United States

Amır Adıb Posted at 10-31 09:47
Okay.. and now I'm testing again and the screen is black even when I'm NOT recording. Just simply plugging in the HDMI cable makes the LCD go black. But this wasn't happening yesterday,

What am I doing wrong?

I’m experiencing the same problem with my A6100.
2020-11-1
Use props
JerryPeter
New

United States

Prezmc Posted at 10-31 13:08
Correct, no updates.  I have attached a couple photos here with everything in 4k, recording, and showing 4k and HDMI setting screens.  When recording starts the camera screen goes black, but the phone screen stays on (which I think is fine when I am using the RavenEye, but I'll have to use it more). when recording stops, both screens are on.   
Not recording:
[view_image]

Nice, will try. What is that top cable which is connected to the camera? RSS?
2020-11-2
Use props
Prezmc
lvl.1
United States

JerryPeter Posted at 11-2 13:09
Nice, will try. What is that top cable which is connected to the camera? RSS?

that is the sony multi cable.  It actually says USB-C to Sony Multi on the cable tag.
2020-11-2
Use props
fansa06defc1
New

United States

Weird I still cant get this working in my A7iii, I am shooting 4K, and without recording I can see the video in the camera monitor and the phone via raveneye. But the moment I hit record then the video in my phone goes off.
2020-11-4
Use props
djiuser010101
lvl.3
Malta

Please note that this also happens with the Sony line up when connected to some external HDMI monitors. It usually happens when using both the HDMI and the charge/control port, as you are doing in the photos. If you disconnect the camera control cable and just plug in HDMI, it should work. In that case, its more of a Sony issue which I can relate to.
2020-11-5
Use props
EMBE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 320118 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Sort of similar issues with the A6600: Wenn connecting Raveneye and USB to the camera, there are two possibilities:

If I use the Sony Mulit cable, I get an HDMI signal, but I cannot control the camera
When using the "other" USB-multicable (no-Sony), I can control the camera, but I do not get an HDMI-Signal - just a grey screen on the RS2 display and the app.

2020-11-5
Use props
dzchohfi
lvl.1
Brazil

Same issues here!
2020-11-7
Use props
dzchohfi
lvl.1
Brazil

Update: Try not using the USB-C to USB-C cable. Recording with the RS2 doesn't work but rest seems to be ok.
2020-11-7
Use props
TJROTH
lvl.1

United States

dzchohfi Posted at 11-7 09:09
Update: Try not using the USB-C to USB-C cable. Recording with the RS2 doesn't work but rest seems to be ok.

I'm having the same issues here with my A7III.  I've watched all the videos and seems to work fine for the YT creators but when I plug in the right cables in the right places, The raveneye output the phone is black.  Oddly, when I turn the gimbal into sleep mode to adjust, the video comes back!  Seems like it disconnects the camera control cable.  Without the USB-C to USB-C cable connected or when in sleep mode, it works properly but then you cannot control the camera.

Really big bummer here.  I've tried wiring the camera control cable to directly to the Raveneye next to the HDMI port but no dice.  It puts my camera in an everlasting "Connecting USB" status that won't go away so don't try that one.

Still troubleshooting here.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2020-11-10
Use props
fansa06defc1
New

United States

TJROTH Posted at 11-10 19:26
I'm having the same issues here with my A7III.  I've watched all the videos and seems to work fine for the YT creators but when I plug in the right cables in the right places, The raveneye output the phone is black.  Oddly, when I turn the gimbal into sleep mode to adjust, the video comes back!  Seems like it disconnects the camera control cable.  Without the USB-C to USB-C cable connected or when in sleep mode, it works properly but then you cannot control the camera.

Really big bummer here.  I've tried wiring the camera control cable to directly to the Raveneye next to the HDMI port but no dice.  It puts my camera in an everlasting "Connecting USB" status that won't go away so don't try that one.

So I was able to fix this for my Sony A7III. If you connect the USB-C in camera to RSS port in the gimbal it wont work. Use the USB-C to Sony Multi cable for camera control and you should be good. Please note, this is not perfect you wont get all camera controls but at least your phone video wont be blacked out when recording 4K internally. If this does not fix your problem then check the Dual Rec option (in the video menu) in your camera and it should be OFF else it wont work. Let me know if you have any questions.
2020-11-16
Use props
GROSS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 203484 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa06defc1 Posted at 11-16 11:39
So I was able to fix this for my Sony A7III. If you connect the USB-C in camera to RSS port in the gimbal it wont work. Use the USB-C to Sony Multi cable for camera control and you should be good. Please note, this is not perfect you wont get all camera controls but at least your phone video wont be blacked out when recording 4K internally. If this does not fix your problem then check the Dual Rec option (in the video menu) in your camera and it should be OFF else it wont work. Let me know if you have any questions.

Optimistic info, thank you! This definitely has been a bummer, I expected most Sonys from the a7iii & beyond would be plug n play for the Ronin-S2. Can you take a screenshot in regards to the DUAL REC menu option, having trouble finding it. Thank you!
2020-11-16
Use props
djiuser_WKLp5BILi41s
lvl.1
United States

I have the same issue with my sony A7siii but it also won't connect the raveneye to wifi it just stays blue no green light?
2020-11-17
Use props
djiuser_BYNpaC55mGP6
lvl.1

United States

Sony or DJI reach out to each other and fix this
2020-11-19
Use props
Hotrawd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161 ft
United States

I am having a similar problem despite doing the update for my A7siii and 3D focus just now before setting up and trying to use RavenEye for the first time today. I just turned off the HDMI display. I had to unplug the cable first, as the option was grayed out before. I have to reconnect and try it again. Then I have to remember to turn it back on when I take it off if this works.

Does anyone know how to reverse the joystick? I like to use mine in the opposite direction. It makes more sense to me. Thanks.
2020-11-28
Use props
djiuser_UzJmOQjLK3za
lvl.1
Flight distance : 299406 ft
Netherlands

Similar problems with a Sony a7r Iv + RSC 2 + Raveneye.

If I connect using the USB-C to USB-C cable I can control aperture/iso/shutter, but both screens (phone and camera) turn black when recording starts. (so essentially useless)

If I use the Sony USB-C to Multi cable I can use active track, record, and have both screens on while recording, but I can't control aperture/iso/shutter speed from my phone. (better, but not great)

Settings:
4k 30
HDMI display off
Proxy recording off
PC remote on (only when using C-to-C cable)

@DJI, will full functionality be provided by a firmware update?

2020-12-4
Use props
djiuser_UzJmOQjLK3za
lvl.1
Flight distance : 299406 ft
Netherlands

GROSS Posted at 11-16 12:37
Optimistic info, thank you! This definitely has been a bummer, I expected most Sonys from the a7iii & beyond would be plug n play for the Ronin-S2. Can you take a screenshot in regards to the DUAL REC menu option, having trouble finding it. Thank you!

See Proxy Recording (= Dual Video Recording) on the 2nd page of the video menu.
2020-12-4
Use props
chrisilehner
New
Flight distance : 523615 ft
Austria

Hello, I have the same problem.

DJI Ronin RS2 + Sony A7iii + RavenEye

#01 Problem: There are three USB-C ports on the gimbal. The third (WIFI symbol) is for RavenEye. But this USB-C hub does not charge the RavenEye transmitter.
It only charges when I plug the USB-C cable into the second port.

To make sure that the third port is not damaged, I test the focus module. This component works fine with the second and third USB-C port.

Why is the module not charging in the third port?

#02 Problem: HDMI and USB-C connection on the sony a7iii dosent work. The screen changes to black when you turn on the gimbal. (Wake up from sleep mode)
When it is on, you can control the camera. But you cannot see anything.
When the gimbal is in sleep mode, you see the transmitted video, but you cannot control the camera :/

Sony Firmware issue?

#03 Problem: The Wifi video transmission is not smooth. Every 1 second the image is frozen for a short time :/
2020-12-4
Use props
fans39d2461e
lvl.1
  • >>>
Japan

chrisilehner Posted at 12-4 10:52
Hello, I have the same problem.

DJI Ronin RS2 + Sony A7iii + RavenEye

I do not know the answer to the first question, but you can try these options for the other two.
On your camera's HDMI setting, turn HDMI Info Display off. With it off you should have the camera screen on the whole time while a clean video feed would be transmitted to your gimbal.

In the app setting, you can change the frequency and channel for the wifi. Maybe changing it to a channel with less interference helps. Unless you are in Japan, which does not allow the use of 5Ghz, you should use the 5Ghz option as there is way less interference around that frequency.
2020-12-5
Use props
fans39d2461e
lvl.1
  • >>>
Japan

I just came across this post while searching for something else, but I have speculation on why this problem exists. I am guessing it has something to do with HDMI resolution, cause when I set mine to 2160p I get a black screen on my Raveneye, but not when it is at 1080p or auto. Maybe the camera was trying to feed 2160p video to Raveneye when it was not working for you? You can try manually changing it to 1080p and see if it helps if the problem occurs again.
2020-12-5
Use props
Xin
lvl.1

Taiwan

When I use A7iii connect raveneyes, it can work when recording (4K or 1080P) and my phone wont black screen.
When I plug rs2 typc-c to multi for sony, the screen work well, too.
But when I recoding, the phone screen will black screen.....
2020-12-5
Use props
David_RR
lvl.1

Austria

djiuser_UzJmOQjLK3za Posted at 12-4 08:18
Similar problems with a Sony a7r Iv + RSC 2 + Raveneye.

If I connect using the USB-C to USB-C cable I can control aperture/iso/shutter, but both screens (phone and camera) turn black when recording starts. (so essentially useless)

Has someone found a solution yet? I definitely won't buy the RS2, when I know I can't even control aperture/iso/shutter while using it with raven eye/active track

@DJI any plans to fix this? Or should I just buy a Crane, even they get Sony cameras to work on theyr gimbals.
2020-12-9
Use props
ImproveWithJoe
lvl.2
United States

Still experiencing the exact same issue even after the update...
2020-12-10
Use props
fanscc56bc83
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10102 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not working for me neither. As soon as i plug in the mcc, no video out.
Did anyone test this out with the newer Sony a7 models?  This would be a good excuse for me to upgrade but if it doesnt work, then its no point.
2020-12-15
Use props
SkyPod
lvl.3
United States

I have the new Sony a7s iii and everything is working great on my RS2. No RavenEye issues at all.
2020-12-15
Use props
moniot
New
Philippines

SkyPod Posted at 12-15 12:48
I have the new Sony a7s iii and everything is working great on my RS2. No RavenEye issues at all.

Hey SkyPod --  Are you getting picture on the A7SIII LCD while in 4K?  I'm not.   If you are, could you please fill us in with your exact menu settings?  I've been searching the web all day for A7SIII info for RavenEye issues and haven't had any luck.  Thanks!
2020-12-25
Use props
ChaosPhoenix
lvl.1

Germany

I guess I'm qualifying as another angry Sony user now.

I've got a Sony A7R 4 and a RS2 with Raven Eye.

Everything was working fine. I was recording in 4k with the Raveneye without Face-Recognition. I'm using the USB-C port to RSS (gimbal) connection. Then I was switching from 4k to 1080p 100fps for a slow-mo and everything broke down. I can't get a picture, except for the info display, on the Raven Eye. Ok. I've switched back to 4k - nothing. I've used all tipps, including Sony Multi Cable, Info display off, everything - nothing. Switch everything off and waited half an hour: Nothing.

Then I noticed something. The Raven-Eye including 4k works fine, if I don't connect my camera to the gimbal RSS. For some reason the multi cable doesn't work at all anymore. But if I just use the Raven-Eye without gimbal connection, I get footage. It switches off as soon as the camera registers a PC remote.

Instead of cutting my footage, I have no footage now and I'm angrily posting here, seeing all your posts and I'm asking myself, why I've bought this gimbal. DJI are you there?
2020-12-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules