1099 6 2020-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AdamD1122
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11663 ft
United States

Hi.

I've got a wonder problem...I am lucky enough to be flying the Phantom 4 Pro and the Mavic Pro.

I've noticed that the Mavic Pro's ability to maintain near flawless, stable hovering is significantly better than the Phantom 4 Pro. I've noticed the Phantom will dance around one spot and typically find its way back to the baseline. The Phantom "hover bubble" is something like 24", whereas the Mavic is on the order of maybe 3". In no case have I had to make corrections, but in one instance when I was close to a bush, I nearly had to correct.

I've noticed other have posted videos that actually demonstrate this. I'm curious if there is anything I can do on my end to help improve the hovering stability.

Thoughts??

Thx
Adam

2020-10-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I've noticed that the Mavic Pro's ability to maintain near flawless, stable hovering is significantly better than the Phantom 4 Pro. I've noticed the Phantom will dance around one spot and typically find its way back to the baseline. The Phantom "hover bubble" is something like 24", whereas the Mavic is on the order of maybe 3". In no case have I had to make corrections, but in one instance when I was close to a bush, I nearly had to correct.
The relevant specs for both drones are identical.
Hover Accuracy Range   
Vertical
:
+/- 0.1 m (when Vision Positioning is active) or +/-0.5 m
Horizontal:
+/- 0.3 m (when Vision Positioning is active) or +/-1.5 m

Things that may affect hovering accuracy and cause wandering include poor GPS if you were close to buildings, trees etc and VPS having difficulty locking on to a non-suitable surface.
Were you comparing under identical conditions

2020-10-30
Use props
AdamD1122
lvl.2
United States

Yes. Totally identify. Same launch and recovery location within minutes of each other and the same exact flight profile.
2020-10-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AdamD1122 Posted at 10-31 14:42
Yes. Totally identify. Same launch and recovery location within minutes of each other and the same exact flight profile.

Is there a clear view of most of the sky or obstructions?

And at what height were you observing this and if below 10 metres, over what surface?
2020-10-31
Use props
AdamD1122
lvl.2
United States

Yes. Clear view of the sky.

The area was yes, less than 10 meters and over a mixed area. Some was a stone patio other areas was just the desert.

I have done subsequent checks if this and it seems that the Mavic is more consistent and accurate with fewer satellites available than the Phantom. For instance, the Mavic was perfect with 5 satellites while the Phantom danced around a bit with 5. But but the time I get to 7, it seems to equally out.

So, I'd say the number of satellites has a lot more to do with it than others factors.

Thanks!

2020-11-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AdamD1122 Posted at 11-1 05:31
Yes. Clear view of the sky.

The area was yes, less than 10 meters and over a mixed area. Some was a stone patio other areas was just the desert.

Your drone isn't even in GPS mode unless it has a minimum of 6 satellites locked.
And if you are only acquiring 5-6 sats, it sounds like something is blocking your drones' skyview.
If they are out in the open with a clear skyview, they should be picking up 12-20 sats.
2020-11-1
Use props
AdamD1122
lvl.2
United States

Maybe I gave you the wrong number. Regardless, it was in GREEN mode when ready to fly.
2020-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules