New to Gimbals (RSC2 observations)
4482 15 2020-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lajaro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5883 ft
Canada

As the subject suggests, am new to using gimbals.  After hemming and hawing, and probably watching 20+ review videos on it, I chose to try the RSC2 as my first. Here are some findings that I wasn't prepared for (many or most I'm sure are due to user error):

- Tutorial videos in the app are Chinese with English subtitles (?!)
- Despite the claims, the mounting plate isn't truly Arca-Swiss compatible.  Neither my Manfrotto and camera cage Arca-Swiss plates fit in the gimbal's slider.
- Not specific to the RSC2, but noone tells you that you want a camera strap that will quickly detach from the body.
- Sometimes, the camera body will end up upside down and I don't know how to recover other than turning it off and manually resetting the position.
- Probably bad research on my part, but I expected the front dial would focus my lens without the focus gear (it does not).
I'm curious what other "surprises" people have encountered...

L

2020-10-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Out of interest what's the issue with the Arca-Swiss mount?   Ive had a few issues lately with my tripod as it appears some of the cheaper plates are not quite to the spec.
2020-10-31
Use props
lajaro
lvl.3
Canada

Unlike my tripod and monopod mounts (Manfrotto, Cameron) which have jaws that expand to allow you to insert the plate, the RSC2 mount is fixed, forcing you to slide the plate in.  Unfortunately, it's too tight and the plate I have on my mirrorless' cage, and the Cameron plate.
2020-10-31
Use props
djiuser_0Lec0KoczPyu
lvl.1

United States

I'm also unable to get my manfrotto 200PL-pro plate in there,  which is supposed to be both arca-swiss and RC2 compatible. Love the plate, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an aftermarket solution. In the meantime, it's a highly disappointing detail that really messes up my game plan.
2020-11-2
Use props
lajaro
lvl.3
Canada

djiuser_0Lec0KoczPyu Posted at 11-2 15:55
I'm also unable to get my manfrotto 200PL-pro plate in there,  which is supposed to be both arca-swiss and RC2 compatible. Love the plate, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an aftermarket solution. In the meantime, it's a highly disappointing detail that really messes up my game plan.

I ordered the “SmallRig Quick Release Plate with Arca-Swiss for DJI RS 2/RSC 2”.  It’s an aftermarket replacement for the gimbal mounting plate.

Expected release date is 20th Nov 2020 - I’ll be sure to post about it when I get it.
2020-11-2
Use props
djiuser_0Lec0KoczPyu
lvl.1

United States

Nice! That thing looks like a good solution.

I think I'm going to look for similar with an RC2 plate. Even if the arca-swiss shape on my plate would've fit, it would have fit sideways and would've required other solutions (so it's actually a little unfair for me to gripe about it). Seems like the long manfrotto plate for a ronin SC would work, and then I'd just need the quick release to match my plate.
2020-11-2
Use props
djiuser_0Lec0KoczPyu
lvl.1

United States

Ahh wait. The long plate on the sc was arca swiss, wasn't it...
2020-11-2
Use props
djiuser_dBRnUR3DHLTD
New
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-31 02:06
Out of interest what's the issue with the Arca-Swiss mount?   Ive had a few issues lately with my tripod as it appears some of the cheaper plates are not quite to the spec.
Professional photographer, new to RSC2. Actually called technical support because I couldn’t tell if I was doing something wrong putting the “upper camera plate” on as it kept slipping as I tried to balance my Nikon D850. Ended up tightening super tight with a screwdriver, but having sheared a quick release plate before, I know this is a terrible idea. But only way I could get the thing to balance. Still not sure if I want to shoot with my D850 on this gimbal. I see lots of glowing reviews, but really struggling with setting this thing up and it starts with this plate.
2020-12-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_dBRnUR3DHLTD Posted at 12-3 10:08
Professional photographer, new to RSC2. Actually called technical support because I couldn’t tell if I was doing something wrong putting the “upper camera plate” on as it kept slipping as I tried to balance my Nikon D850. Ended up tightening super tight with a screwdriver, but having sheared a quick release plate before, I know this is a terrible idea. But only way I could get the thing to balance. Still not sure if I want to shoot with my D850 on this gimbal. I see lots of glowing reviews, but really struggling with setting this thing up and it starts with this plate.

I had the same problem recently with some L brackets I bought for that mount,  they measured ok to the spec but they weren't quite thick enough which caused them not to get gripped fully. I put some self adhesive rubber strip in the mount and it resolved it.
2020-12-3
Use props
djiuser_dBRnUR3DHLTD
New
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-3 10:23
I had the same problem recently with some L brackets I bought for that mount,  they measured ok to the spec but they weren't quite thick enough which caused them not to get gripped fully. I put some self adhesive rubber strip in the mount and it resolved it.

Not sure I follow. The plate slips while attached to the camera, unless tightened dangerously tight. There are holes drilled to either side of the screw hole, that line up with the recessed hole in the D850. A small (1/8”?) dowel through both would easily fix the problem.
2020-12-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_dBRnUR3DHLTD Posted at 12-3 11:21
Not sure I follow. The plate slips while attached to the camera, unless tightened dangerously tight. There are holes drilled to either side of the screw hole, that line up with the recessed hole in the D850. A small (1/8”?) dowel through both would easily fix the problem.

Sorry different slippage, you mean slip against the base of the camera and I meant slips in the clamp.
2020-12-4
Use props
Michael Boatright
New
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-4 01:57
Sorry different slippage, you mean slip against the base of the camera and I meant slips in the clamp.

No worries.

Somehow I got the impression from sales materials that the RSC2 supported the Manfrotto 200PL plate which I have used for years. Guess not, so I ordered the 323 RC2 and put it on top of the top quick release plate. A little tight for my D850 with Nikon 24-70mm lens and took a minute to balance, but seems to be more solid that the plate that came with the RSC2.
2020-12-9
Use props
His DJI account
lvl.2
United States

I wouldn't say that your issues are "user error" or that any of these observations are "surprises" ... I'd say that you were suffering from a lack of proper/realistic expectations.  Using gimbals is a new skill set, like photography or cinematography was for us all.  There will be simple things like the camera strap issue, more advanced issues like the upside down camera/learning gimbal moves and trigger taps to reset camera position as well as annoying issues like an otherwise great product that comes with a disappointing mount (no product is perfect) or no travel case sans expensive upgrade (corporate greed is nothing new).  The difference is expecting issues rather than being surprised by them.  It does wonders for your mood.  DJI is a Chinese company.  Their home market is China and since corporate greed is a thing, here and there...therefore, English subtitles.  I'm sure people from other countries buying American goods see plenty of tutorials in English with subtitles in their language.

Doesn't the existence of focus gear suggest that its use is necessary?  It would be very expensive for DJI to integrate into every camera's software to co-opt the auto-focus for satisfying use with manual focus through the wheel...and even if they could, they wouldn't be able to sell focus gear anymore..which takes us back to that corporate greed thing again...

Happy gimbaling
2020-12-26
Use props
His DJI account
lvl.2
United States

lajaro - I apologize for the tone (snarkiness, cheekiness) of my previous reply.  I didn't mean it that way...and certainly not anything personal toward you.
2020-12-28
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

I did my research and wasn't surprised by anything other than things I got that I didn't expect.  All the panorama modes, etc   As for focus, figured that I can focus touching the screen as usual, and the focus tracking on the sony is fantastic.  The focus motor is a great solution that will work with pretty much every camera.  
2021-1-12
Use props
loic92
lvl.1
France

Michael Boatright Posted at 2020-12-9 10:17
No worries.

Somehow I got the impression from sales materials that the RSC2 supported the Manfrotto 200PL plate which I have used for years. Guess not, so I ordered the 323 RC2 and put it on top of the top quick release plate. A little tight for my D850 with Nikon 24-70mm lens and took a minute to balance, but seems to be more solid that the plate that came with the RSC2.

Hello.
Do you have a photo of your setup ?
You added the RC2 quick release directly on top of  your RSC2 original plate ?
Does the RC2 not go in the way of DJI clamp ? Making it impossible to tighten and therefore to use the 323 ?
2021-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules