Mavic air 2 range UK version
3347 25 2020-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Caliber
lvl.1
Flight distance : 817385 ft
Hong Kong

So i took my dji mavic air 2 out and i own it for a couple of weeks now, i wanted to check its range but was afraid to do so lol. one day i took it and took it far away, at 500 meters plus the rc signal started to break after 800 the rc signal started to turn orange and after 2000 meters the rc signal had 1-3 bars(bars kept dropping to 1) after that i brought it back,i was in open land with almost no interference. Does tha amount of satellite have something to do with this(the satellite sign is always white) or is there a problem with my drone, can the rc signal strengthen up if i go further?
2020-10-31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The number of satellites your drone can "see" only secures the GPS positioning so that the drone knows where it is in relation to the take-off point.  The signal between your controller and the drone is dependent on other factors :  Line-of sight is ideal, and lack of obstacles or sources of RFI definitely help. Inevitably, the further your drone gets from the controller, the more likely it is to lose signal. At 2Kms your drone would be out of sight, I'm sure. Fortunately, we have RTH to bring the drone back to the take-off point if signal is lost
2020-10-31
Use props
Caliber
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Blériot53 Posted at 10-31 14:34
The number of satellites your drone can "see" only secures the GPS positioning so that the drone knows where it is in relation to the take-off point.  The signal between your controller and the drone is dependent on other factors :  Line-of sight is ideal, and lack of obstacles or sources of RFI definitely help. Inevitably, the further your drone gets from the controller, the more likely it is to lose signal. At 2Kms your drone would be out of sight, I'm sure. Fortunately, we have RTH to bring the drone back to the take-off point if signal is lost

the place where i fly has no obstacles till miles, and yeah you cant see the drone after a certain point but should it go further before losing signals
2020-10-31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Caliber Posted at 10-31 14:42
the place where i fly has no obstacles till miles, and yeah you cant see the drone after a certain point but should it go further before losing signals

I'm sure you're aware that we are not supposed to fly our drones beyond a distance where we can still see them with the naked eye. Now you've satisfied yourself that you can exceed that distance considerably, I urge you not to worry too much about whether it could go further. That way lies potential grief, the risk of losing your drone, and more importantly, risk of sanctions by your local authorities.
Now, it's up to you   Fly safe!
2020-10-31
Use props
Caliber
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Blériot53 Posted at 10-31 14:50
I'm sure you're aware that we are not supposed to fly our drones beyond a distance where we can still see them with the naked eye. Now you've satisfied yourself that you can exceed that distance considerably, I urge you not to worry too much about whether it could go further. That way lies potential grief, the risk of losing your drone, and more importantly, risk of sanctions by your local authorities.
Now, it's up to you   Fly safe!

i live in pakistan where there is only 2 rules, dont fly near airports and places like army bases and government buildings, so i wouldnt worry about the local authority because tbh or police is very dumb and theres no law about drones so they cant do anything
2020-11-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Caliber Posted at 11-1 08:36
i live in pakistan where there is only 2 rules, dont fly near airports and places like army bases and government buildings, so i wouldnt worry about the local authority because tbh or police is very dumb and theres no law about drones so they cant do anything

SO you're just visiting Poland then?
2020-11-1
Use props
Caliber
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Blériot53 Posted at 11-1 09:53

i dont know why my profile says poland, im from pakistan
2020-11-2
Use props
Caliber
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Blériot53 Posted at 11-1 09:53

bleriot i have another question, my friend also bought a drone, he bought it from a local shop and i got it from a online store. The seller said that dont let the battery go below 20% otherwise the software inside the battery can get corrupted, at first i thought that the person was just dumb but i got scared xd. so i wanted to ask that can we let the battery go below 20 or 10
2020-11-2
Use props
Caliber
lvl.1
Hong Kong

btw i took the drone till 2700 meters and got red signals and drone disconnected
2020-11-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Caliber Posted at 11-2 04:31
bleriot i have another question, my friend also bought a drone, he bought it from a local shop and i got it from a online store. The seller said that dont let the battery go below 20% otherwise the software inside the battery can get corrupted, at first i thought that the person was just dumb but i got scared xd. so i wanted to ask that can we let the battery go below 20 or 10

If you are about to fly the drone it's normal to charge to 100%. If the batteries are not used, they will auto-discharge to about 50-60% over several days to avoid damage. This is normal. If they are stored for a long period ( months) they may drop to 30% - again no problem.  The figure below which damage may occur is a conundrum. For the old P4 it was said running them down to 8% every so often and then fully recharging was beneficial.  20% therefore gives you a safe margin.
2020-11-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Caliber Posted at 11-2 04:33
btw i took the drone till 2700 meters and got red signals and drone disconnected

Just so long as you are aware of the risks.
2020-11-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've reached 5,000 metres with no signal loss
2020-11-3
Use props
Caliber
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Blériot53 Posted at 11-2 07:44
Just so long as you are aware of the risks.

can this be a fault with my drone that its only going  till 2700 meters
2020-11-3
Use props
Caliber
lvl.1
Hong Kong

A J Posted at 11-3 01:35
I've reached 5,000 metres with no signal loss

do you have the FCC version
2020-11-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Caliber Posted at 11-3 13:00
can this be a fault with my drone that its only going  till 2700 meters

Unlikely. if its working in all other respects.
2020-11-3
Use props
Caliber
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Blériot53 does phones have anything to do with rc signals, if i use a better phone cause my phones sucks, will i get better range cause i always lose rc signals
2020-11-3
Use props
Caliber
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Blériot53 Posted at 11-3 13:02
Unlikely. if its working in all other respects.

everyother thing is fine, but the rc disconnects after a few seconds when my phone has low battery, does this happen with you?
2020-11-3
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Caliber Posted at 11-3 13:01
do you have the FCC version

No, CE version - all stock purchased in England
2020-11-3
Use props
Caliber
lvl.1
Hong Kong

A J Posted at 11-3 23:45

do you think that a better phone will give more rc range?
2020-11-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Caliber Posted at 11-4 05:37
do you think that a better phone will give more rc range?

No but it will handle the app more effectively.
2020-11-4
Use props
Caliber
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Ok so update, didnt know that 1 tree can affect range lol, went for hunting and was on a river.Took the drone about 4km away before the battery got to 50%(was filming in-between), i full bars and sometimes i lost 1 bar so i believe that i could have taken it further.thanks for the help everyone
2020-11-12
Use props
djiuser_pnARF9GzHyFR
New
Flight distance : 30840 ft

New Zealand

I’ve recently purchased the magic 2 air. The last few times I have used it over water on a large river (around 80m) and once I get to 479m distance it doesn’t go any further, I can see the line sight. I thought you could fly up to 7km with this drone, I was expecting the drone to go a lot further, there are also no flying restrictions on this river? Anyone help?
2020-11-14
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Caliber Posted at 11-12 08:35
Ok so update, didnt know that 1 tree can affect range lol, went for hunting and was on a river.Took the drone about 4km away before the battery got to 50%(was filming in-between), i full bars and sometimes i lost 1 bar so i believe that i could have taken it further.thanks for the help everyone

Yes, you MUST have a totally clear line of sight between the RC and AC - just one obstruction can affect the signal and ensure that the top of the device holder (which is the antenna) is pointed directly at the drone at all times.
2020-11-15
Use props
Caliber
lvl.1
Hong Kong

djiuser_pnARF9GzHyFR Posted at 11-14 20:31
I’ve recently purchased the magic 2 air. The last few times I have used it over water on a large river (around 80m) and once I get to 479m distance it doesn’t go any further, I can see the line sight. I thought you could fly up to 7km with this drone, I was expecting the drone to go a lot further, there are also no flying restrictions on this river? Anyone help?

theres a setting for the max height maybe theres a setting for max range, idk maybe im wrong
2020-11-16
Use props
speedster1966
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1099603 ft
United Kingdom

My advice to you is, if you start to lose signal strength, increase your height, but stay under the regulated limit for your country. Happy flying.
2022-1-17
Use props
djiuser_6gcUTr8vCNkt
New

United Kingdom

A J Posted at 2020-11-3 23:45

The UK version is restricted in its output power levels, CE is only about 25mw power where the FCC version is about 700mw hence far less range in UK
2022-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules