611 4 2020-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GertO
New

South Africa

Good day

I was wondering if anybody can assist.
I had a Phantom4 Pro V2 which disconected completely from the remote, The green light on the remote went red and I had no control. At the moment of disconect the drone was in line of sight and within 20m of the home position and it started to descend automatically.

The Drone crashed on the roof of the house, the drone is in for repairs yet the Drone repair shop said they cant see what went wrong, the logs just completely stopped writing.

I since had to use a diffrent Phantom 4 Pro V1 for work on a mine site where we used DroneDeploy to calculate volumes.
All was fine with my first 2 flights (about 4 Batteries of flight), the drone kept a very good conection even to a range of 1km.

The last flight was a quick 16mins flight, the drone took of and started the flight patern and all of a sudden it disconected (about 550m away, with line of sight) the same way as my first drone did. I lost video feed and also all controll of the drone. The drone kept flying the patern programmed by dronedeploy and then suddenly reconected to the remote and I could take control and return the drone to Home.

I was wondering if anyone could give my advice to why this happens. I had a look but only found information on when the app disconects from the remote (You still have a green light and can control the drone).

But in my case I could not control or see the drone until it re-establied conection. As this is now the second time it happened to me using a Phantom 4 Pro drone my confidence is really shaken to fly the drones.
2020-11-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Hi - Know that you have two signals, one going up, another coming down.  If one disconnects, it's possible the other is still intact.  In the first case, it sounds like you lost the uplink or both.  In the second case, it sounds like you lost the downlink or both.  

There are lots of reasons for losing connection.  Are you aiming your controller correctly?  Are you flying too high and not far enough out?  Flying straight up will cause connection problems.  In the first case, it appears the drone came straight down because you were not far enough away from homepoint.  IIRC, you must be more than 20 meters from homepoint for RTH to engage, otherwise it comes straight down on a disconnect.  You likely had the opportunity to reconnect before it hit the roof of the house - if you had concentrated on aiming your controller.  After reconnecting, you would have to cancel the RTH (autolanding) function which would give you control.  You can also steer it down to miss obstacles even without regaining full control.  

I am not familiar with Drone Deploy but it sounds similar to Litchi in that it lets you run a mission and the mission continues after losing connection.  Then you regain connection when the AC is back within range.  

Again - learn to aim your controller correctly and don't fly straight up.  I think this may solve your immediate connection problems.  However, flying out of range, behind trees, the solutions are more complicated.  

Good luck.
2020-11-1
Use props
GertO
New

South Africa

Mark The Droner Posted at 11-1 07:54
Hi - Know that you have two signals, one going up, another coming down.  If one disconnects, it's possible the other is still intact.  In the first case, it sounds like you lost the uplink or both.  In the second case, it sounds like you lost the downlink or both.  

There are lots of reasons for losing connection.  Are you aiming your controller correctly?  Are you flying too high and not far enough out?  Flying straight up will cause connection problems.  In the first case, it appears the drone came straight down because you were not far enough away from homepoint.  IIRC, you must be more than 20 meters from homepoint for RTH to engage, otherwise it comes straight down on a disconnect.  You likely had the opportunity to reconnect before it hit the roof of the house - if you had concentrated on aiming your controller.  After reconnecting, you would have to cancel the RTH (autolanding) function which would give you control.  You can also steer it down to miss obstacles even without regaining full control.  

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the feedback. I was aware of the antennas position but it still did not connected. even after crashing and turning both the drone and RC off and on, there was no connection to the remote.

The second one I was 600m away and 120m up in the air, I could see the drone and I pointed the antennas like the recommended way. I did suspect some interference on the second case.
2020-11-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

If you're sure you're doing everything perfect and it may be an interference problem, you could take a drive to a rural area away from all interference and test it out.  Then you'll know for sure.  Good luck.
2020-11-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there GertO. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since there was a crash that happened before and this unfortunate event happened I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to check the said drone and will give out the best resolution for this issue. If the said drone is still under the warranty period and it is evaluated as a non-pilot error, the warranty service will be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.
2020-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules