Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Kalbarri Skywalk. Western Australia

Kalbarri Skywalk.  Western Australia

A view of one of the two Skywalks in the Kalbarri National Park,  Western Australia.
If you look carefully,  you can just see the second one.   These were only recently opened and have proved a big draw card indeed.  They overlook the mighty,  although sometimes dry,  Murchison River.   

The Murchison River is the second longest river in Western  Australia. It flows for about 820 km from the southern edge of the  Robinson Ranges to the Indian Ocean at Kalbarri. The  Murchison-Yalgar-Hope river system is the longest river system in  Western
I managed to get this pic shortly before the GPS unit malfunctioned which made life very interesting for a wee while !  There were a lot of breezes around in the area ;)

2020-11-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Manxmann. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this wonderful photo you have captured. Great work and keep on flying.
2020-11-4
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-4 00:55
Hello there Manxmann. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this wonderful photo you have captured. Great work and keep on flying.

Thankyou
2020-11-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice capture!
Hope the drone is ok!
2020-11-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Awesome capture
2020-11-4
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-4 01:03
Nice capture!
Hope the drone is ok!

It's on its' way back to me from Melbourne after having a new GPS unit & Fan module (?) replaced.
I hope I am not speaking too soon,  but the service from DJI has so far been excellent.  The whole process has been simple and their communication and repair time,  superb.   I am impressed !
Having said that,  I'll feel better after my first test flight,  but I am confident all will be good

I was very frustrated that the malfunction occured when it did.  There were so may great shots to be taken and I missed out.   Oh well,  next time ........ ....... .......
2020-11-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Manxmann Posted at 11-4 01:17
It's on its' way back to me from Melbourne after having a new GPS unit & Fan module (?) replaced.
I hope I am not speaking too soon,  but the service from DJI has so far been excellent.  The whole process has been simple and their communication and repair time,  superb.   I am impressed !
Having said that,  I'll feel better after my first test flight,  but I am confident all will be good

I totally get that frustration, but I have similar good experience with a DJI repair center.
2020-11-4
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Beautiful shot Mate !!!
2020-11-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Manx,

Nice job all around!  Good to hear that things are going well with DJI down under.  

I was looking up Kalbarri and the Murchison River on Google Earth and could not find the Skywalks.  I found some opportunities inland but figured the Skywalks would be in the park - see, I do have common sense!  But, there sure are a lot of mines in that area!  What do they usually mine for there?

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-4
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 11-4 12:58
Aloha Manx,

Nice job all around!  Good to hear that things are going well with DJI down under.  

Hi Cetacean look at 27.33.14S  114.26.00E
Google Earth may need updating as it appears to show one of the walks under construction.
As for the mines ???  Where are you looking ? Sounds like you are too far East ..... .....

https://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/park/kalbarri

2020-11-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 11-4 14:57
Hi Cetacean look at 27.33.14S  114.26.00E
Google Earth may need updating as it appears to show one of the walks under construction.
As for the mines ???  Where are you looking ? Sounds like you are too far East ..... .....

Aloha Manx,

Yes, I was looking at the Murchison River and Google Earth sent me way East.  Interesting area though.

Can you check the 27.33.145S GPS coordinate?  It appears to be way North of Kalbarri and no river in that area.

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-4
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 11-4 19:02
Aloha Manx,

Yes, I was looking at the Murchison River and Google Earth sent me way East.  Interesting area though.

Are you sure you are looking at 27 degrees SOUTH ?  ;)
2020-11-5
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 11-5 03:27
Are you sure you are looking at 27 degrees SOUTH ?  ;)

PS:  Degrees,  minutes,  seconds
2020-11-5
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 11-5 03:28
PS:  Degrees,  minutes,  seconds

Aloha Manx,

Yes, when I add a "-" before the 27.33, I get a location 36.5 miles North, North West of Kalbarri and with no river or other identifier in the area.  Otherwise, I end up in the middle of China somewhere without the "-".

From the park, I did find two roads to look-out parking lots that might be what you are noting;

-27.789032° 114.468305°
and
-27.811626° 114.472564°

but that is the best I can do.  Also, I must admit, messing around with GPS is a blast!  I never had anything like this in my youth.  Kids got it so much better these days!

However, this exercise did show me how to enter GPS into Google Earth.  Amazing how things actually work when you learn how to work them!  I learn something new every day!  I have similar problems with Tax Map Keys in my Neighborhood Board work.  Slowly but surely.  

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there Manxmann. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2020-11-5
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Looks like you need a MM2 as backup mate. I'll back you all the way
2020-11-7
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 11-5 17:21
Aloha Manx,

Yes, when I add a "-" before the 27.33, I get a location 36.5 miles North, North West of Kalbarri and with no river or other identifier in the area.  Otherwise, I end up in the middle of China somewhere without the "-".

Are you getting your "decimal" and my "deg, min, seconds" muxed ip ?  ;)
2020-11-9
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Aloha Manx,

2020-11-10
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Aloha Manx,

Does this help  Cetacean ?

PS:  Still waiting for my repaired Phantom to be delivered by Australia Post.....  mmmmm,  'Express Mail' ??
2020-11-10
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 11-9 23:59
Are you getting your "decimal" and my "deg, min, seconds" muxed ip ?  ;)

Aloha Manx,

It turns out that there a number of ways to enter GPS coordinates.  I really want to figure this one out, but I got a tooth pulled today and I got to sleep because I get to eat tomorrow!  Yum!!!

The new images look like they will be very helpful.  Mahalo!

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-10
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 11-7 01:32
Looks like you need a MM2 as backup mate. I'll back you all the way

If I buy another,  I may (WILL) need backup alright !
2020-11-10
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 11-10 00:41
Aloha Manx,

It turns out that there a number of ways to enter GPS coordinates.  I really want to figure this one out, but I got a tooth pulled today and I got to sleep because I get to eat tomorrow!  Yum!!!

Sleep well Cetatean,  I also got an appointment with the Fang Farrier tomorrow
2020-11-10
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

My Phantom finally got back to me today.  It's taken a while,  but that was due to delays in postage.  DJI did their part of the job in quick-time
So hopefully tomorrow I can go for a wee fly - just to make sure all is OK.
The drone I received back is a 'refurbished' (I guess) item - not the one I sent over.  But who cares as long as it does what it's supposed to ;)

2020-11-11
Use props
MG80
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20877146 ft
Australia

It would be good to see more WA content on here!
2020-11-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Awesome views. Thanks for the share.
2020-11-11
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

MG80 Posted at 11-11 06:44
It would be good to see more WA content on here!

Well,  we'll have to see what we can do eh ?  
2020-11-11
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 11-10 00:22
[view_image]

Does this help  Cetacean ?

Aloha Manx,

I found it!  Two sites under construction right on the edge.  These are in the GPS format my Google Earth is set at;

-27.554423°
114.433509°

Loading them in search like;

-27.554423° 114.433509°

took me right to the location.  Your photo really helped me find the site.

It turns out there two markers on my Google Earth for Kalbarri National Park and of course I went to the wrong one.  There appear to be a lot of lookouts above the Murchison River.  Beautiful

Mahalo again!  That was an adventure!  We really do need more photos and videos of Western Australia here on the Forum.  Those gorges are beautiful!

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-11
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 11-11 19:04
Aloha Manx,

I found it!  Two sites under construction right on the edge.  These are in the GPS format my Google Earth is set at;

Ahhh,  good news indeed ;)

...... and I just test flew my recond Phantom and am very pleased to report all is well

All is at peace in the world -- apart from .. .. .. ..   !!!  
2020-11-11
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 11-11 23:42
Ahhh,  good news indeed ;)

...... and I just test flew my recond Phantom and am very pleased to report all is well

Aloha Manx,

Truly and very sad, but none-the-less we survive and enjoy what peace we can!

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-12
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

The first picture is just a few k's south of Kalbarri.  
Amazing that orchids grow in such a harsh environment as we have in WA.

2020-11-12
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 11-12 01:46
[view_image]
The first picture is just a few k's south of Kalbarri.  
Amazing that orchids grow in such a harsh environment as we have in WA.

Aloha Manx,

Nice shots!  Is that Shark Bay way off in the distance?  Beautiful orchid.  It may just look delicate?!?  Or there was a recent rain because that does look like a harsh environment as you noted.

Mahalo for posting!  Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-13
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 11-13 01:29
Aloha Manx,

Nice shots!  Is that Shark Bay way off in the distance?  Beautiful orchid.  It may just look delicate?!?  Or there was a recent rain because that does look like a harsh environment as you noted.

Thankyou.
Well yeah,  you could be looking at the coastline as it heads up towards Shark Bay.  The pic was taken just a few kms south of Kalbarri though.
2020-11-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 11-13 01:39
Thankyou.
Well yeah,  you could be looking at the coastline as it heads up towards Shark Bay.  The pic was taken just a few kms south of Kalbarri though.

Aloha Manx,

That may be but, it is still just amazing how little the World knows about "Down Under".  Just look at that coast photo - beautiful!  Then you did a fantastic job with the orchid - brilliant!  What contrast!

Sorry, but I am a fan!  Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-14
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

It's not hard to understand why sailors fear a "West Coast" of any island or continent.
2020-11-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 11-14 16:59
It's not hard to understand why sailors fear a "West Coast" of any island or continent.

Aloha Manx,

Very true!  Parts of the Santa Barbara, California Coast almost look like your photo.  I think that area was used as the fallen Statue of Liberty scene in one of the "Planet of the Apes" movies.

In my youth, I hitchhiked that area and camped up on the bluff.  I went down to the beach at low tide and walked as far as I could under the full moon until I came to a California version of your photo.  I turned around and went back but during that time a hundred or so Sea Lions had beached and took up the whole area!  Man, I had to tiptoe and run between them, getting chased repeatedly, until I finally was clear from them.  They can move fast on land!  What an experience!

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-11-15
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 11-15 02:42
Aloha Manx,

Very true!  Parts of the Santa Barbara, California Coast almost look like your photo.  I think that area was used as the fallen Statue of Liberty scene in one of the "Planet of the Apes" movies.

"Man, I had to tiptoe and run between them, getting chased repeatedly, until I finally was clear from them.  They can move fast on land!  What an experience!"

Perhaps it was 'mating' season ????????????

2020-11-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 11-24 02:29
"Man, I had to tiptoe and run between them, getting chased repeatedly, until I finally was clear from them.  They can move fast on land!  What an experience!"

Perhaps it was 'mating' season ????????????

Aloha Manx,

Maybe more like pupping and raising the kids.  There were a lot of young in that bunch.  I think this was their normal haul-out location - only no one told me!

Good thing I was quick on my feet way back then.  Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules