Loss of video feed and questions about battery
486 4 2020-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Ok.. First of all, my MP has some miles on it.  According to my Flight Record, 10,835,034 feet of travel distance (2,052 Miles).  I've ONLY had minor problems with it and it has RARELY acted up.  

The Old City park across the street from me is undergoing a massive remodel.  So I've been going across the street to take some vids of the buildings before they vanish in history.  I got some great shots of before, and now I have some of when most of the buildings have been Razed.

So yesterday, I went out to see if anything new had been going on out there.  Nothing but a bigger pile of debris… So I am out flying around the park, having a good time.  Drone was no more than about 362 feet away from me when Boom.  No video feed.  No app.  App locked up.  I tried a few times, gave up, punched RTH on the controller and saw that it was responding.  (Wasn’t too worried.) and I started debugging the app.  Restarted the app, nothing.  Rebooted the phone and restarted the App, nothing.  Now all this time, I could hear the motors getting closer and the controller was doing it usual beeping.  I’m standing about 30’ away from the takeoff point and was using my orange landing pad.  I’d glance up occasionally to spot it and never could see it.  But I could tell it was getting closer.  RTH altitude set for about 100’  

Now by this time, the motors are getting louder.  I keep looking up and can’t see it.  Lean way back and tip my hat back so that I can see better… and I finally spot it..  

It’s about 8 FEET UP, DIRECTLY OVER MY HEAD, DECENDING AND LINED UP TO LAND ON MY HAT!!!  30 FEET AWAY FROM THE TAKEOFF POINT!! Needless to say, I ran.  Dang thing landed EXACTLY where I was standing.  (Never upset your drone… )

Shut everything down, rebooted phone, rebooted drone, rebooted app.  Ran fine and ran through the rest of the Battery.  

So I get home and connect my phone to the computer and download my flight record and send it to PhantomHelp.com.  On my report, it just shows my drone vanishing at 362 feet away and an altitude of 160 feet.  No idea what happened..  (https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/44D60XLSZF7WZM6IKCUA)

Then I noticed something weird on my record.  It showed the condition of Battery Cell #1.  It showed the condition of Battery Cell #2.  Both were in great shape..  Only problem is,  doesn't the Mavic has 3 cells.  No idea why it didn’t record anything for Cell #3.  

Running Samsung Note 9, 512 gb ram, and never had anything like this happen.  USB cable connected to the bottom of the controller and it's one of the heaviest duty cables that I could find.  

So.. whats the deal???  What happened??  Any ideas??  
2020-11-4
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Not really to see another issue than battery status has been missing a cell and in 7´23" <weak controler signal>. Nothing more. The devastation of cells are ok too.
2020-11-8
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
United States

Peterx Posted at 11-8 12:02
Not really to see another issue than battery status has been missing a cell and in 7´23" . Nothing more. The devastation of cells are ok too.

Anyone else have any problem with the missing Cell from PhantomHelp??  I was wondering about why the missing cell and why it wanted to land 30 feet away from the takeoff point on top of me.  
2020-11-9
Use props
Dean
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Hi Brad - sorry, no definitive help to offer but maybe some possibilites to consider.
1. first time i seem that particular battery issue - maybe it is aged - maybe check it for swelling on the casing
2. i have wondered sometimes during my personal disconnect issues if it is not the cable at fault as much as it might be the plug fittings that become loose with age
3. not sure if you have needed to replace yr gimbal ribbon and camera cable yet - i recently had to change mine because of gimbal motor issues (gimbal ribbon) as well as my camera cable because at one point my screen went black due to loss of image (faulty cable or loose connections - but i replaced both cables and am back in the air without those issues.

Good luck getting yr issues sorted.
2020-11-10
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
United States

Dean Posted at 11-10 11:56
Hi Brad - sorry, no definitive help to offer but maybe some possibilites to consider.
1. first time i seem that particular battery issue - maybe it is aged - maybe check it for swelling on the casing
2. i have wondered sometimes during my personal disconnect issues if it is not the cable at fault as much as it might be the plug fittings that become loose with age

Appreciate the response..  but...
1.  Batteries are old, but still show all three cells in the app while flying.  No swelling on any of the three.  Checked before charging, after charging, before and after each flight.  Voltage good and Cells within a fraction of being balanced.  The only thing I've noted is battery life is a bit shorter now.  16-17 minutes before hitting 30% when I return to home.   (I err on the side of caution)

2.  In my history, I've only had a few disconnects.  I used to use just about any cable, but now I use a cable that I got with my GoPro Package.  about a foot long and very heavy duty.  Hadn't thought about the connections wearing..  Might have to look into that a bit more.  

3.  Gimble ribbon is something else.  Never had a crash or a rough landing.  (Knock on wood)  The only thing that I've hit has been a blade or two of grass.  The problem I had that day was not just loss of video, but loss of everything.  The only thing that might have caused some of it was the ONE thing that I forgot to do on this set of flights was to clear all my open apps on my phone and run an optimization on my phone before hand.  (Samsung Note 9, 512 G Ram)

Since that one day, I've flown it 9 more flights without any problem.  Good video, good connection, great flights.  I rarely use the RTH function.  Usually run is as a test maybe once every 20 flights or so.  I don't fly unless I hear the magic words, "The Home point has been updated. Please check it on the map." And I am one that does check the map.  I haven't used the CSM to take off in years.  I use the auto take off every time.  

But, after this many flights and this many hours an error is to be expected occasionally.  Again, Thanks for the advice.  We'll see how it goes from here.  
2020-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules