We need to talk about full gimbal lock mode
4277 6 2020-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The 'Osmo Pocket 1' had full gimbal lock mode as a bit of an afterthought.  The only way to access it was via the control wheel button or the extension rod button.

As far as I can see, the Pocket 2 takes it a tiny bit more seriously, by providing for the feature to be activated by  holding down the function button.

That's fine for locking the gimbal for a few moments, but if you are attending some kind of live performance - once live performances again become possible! - a very good use for full gimbal lock mode is to enable you to hold up the Pocket 2 pointing at the stage, lock the gimbal, and then you don't have to worry about moving your hand around a bit.  You can even change from one hand to the other mid-performance and it's unlikely to show.  It's like having a conventional camera clamped onto a tripod.  

The excellent stereo sound capabilities make the Pocket 2 a very attractive solution for making simple videos of live performances.

So, holding down a button doesn't do the trick in such a situation.  Your thumb would quickly get rather tired, and swapping hands isn't going to be possible.

I don't see why this mode can't be included among the other mode selection options, on the device menus or the Mimo app.  Dare I say it, the Fimi Palm does it that way, so it must be technically possible, and presumably a matter of a firmware update.

Does anyone else share my opinion?  DJI, could you consider this please?

2020-11-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information and your valued insights with regards to this matter. I will forward these information and this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI Pocket 2 updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-11-4
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I use this often with Controller Wheel. Big plus for suggestion about full gimbal lock without pressing the button down.
2020-11-4
Use props
OmeSlikkum
lvl.2
Netherlands

I second this. Holding down the button while shooting a video freehand is way to uncomfortable for me. Make it a toggle (hold down release to enable, hold down release to disable) or make it part of the standard selection of modes. FPV > Tilt Locked > Follow > Full Lock. Great suggestion.
2020-11-5
Use props
heightoffield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2670423 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

Yeah, a gimbal full lock would be awesome - like the one I had on my Osmo plus
2020-11-5
Use props
NitanHuaso
New

Germany

I Agree you!! We need this option!
2021-1-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

We've  had it for a few weeks now with the latest firmware.
2021-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules