P4P+ automatically shuts off while flying
1435 13 2020-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SHMedia
lvl.1

United States

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to get some input on what could have possibly happened with my P4P+.  I've owned and flown multiple DJI products (everything from the Mavic, Mavic PP, Mavic 2, and now P4P+).  I've never had any issues in relation to what I experienced with my P4P+.  I've done my research on the forums and seen very similiar posts as to what happened with my P4P+.  I bought this P4P+ from a local private seller.  Unfortunately, the drone was out of warranty and it did not have an active DJI Care Refresh at the time of purchase.  I typically use my P4P+ to shoot real estate and also weddings.  On November 3rd, I was shooting a wedding at a nearby golf course.  Prior to the first flight, I put in a fully charged DJI P4P+ battery and launched the drone for an aerial shot of the bride and groom's first look.  While flying I experienced extremely bad glitching (2-3 second delay) on the P4P+ screen only when the record was active.  This made things extremely hard to focus on the shot.  I only had the drone up in the air for about 10 minutes while capturing that shot.  I then landed it and moved about 300 feet from the first location to the ceremony and then installed another fully charged battery (fully secured into the drone *click*, double-checked to make sure the battery was fully seated into the P4P) to cover an aerial shot of the wedding.  I took the drone out behind the ceremony and launched it.  I increased the altitude on the drone (approximately 40 feet) and then out of nowhere the drone shut off completely causing it to fall out of the sky and hit the green.  This caused a good amount of damage to the body, propellars, and gimbal.  I've NEVER experienced anything like that before while flying any of the DJI drones.

When I got home, I started a repair claim and uploaded all the flight data to DJI's cloud.  I boxed up the P4P+ and sent it to their location in Cerritos, California.  They did the "free damage assessment" and gave me a quote.  I can tell the quote was inaccurate because I know the gimbal had a overload warning on the controller immediately after the crash.  The damage report did not show anything about replacing gimbal components which I'm almost positive there was.  There was also nothing mentioned regarding the extremely bad screen glitching while recording.  I called in to DJI today and talked to a representative wanting to know exactly what caused the failure in flight.   His response was, "I'm not exactly sure but your drone is out of warranty."  He told me that only the "damage assessment" was free but a "data analysis" to diagnose the reason for the crash was an additional $65.

Prior to sending in the drone, I spoke with multiple DJI chat representatives (I believe one guy's name was Chris) and they reassured me when I sent the drone in they would conduct the tests to figure out why this happened with the drone.  Now, I'm getting a completely new story from DJI with this representative I spoke with on the phone - Sad!  I really just want to know why this happened without having to pay this $65 "data analysis."  I truly feel this was a DJI manufacturer defect as to why the drone crashed.  I can't have a fairly high-end consumer/professional drone just fall out of the sky like it did whether it is being used for weddings or real estate.

I really would love to get some feedback from any DJI representatives on here.  I hate having to write up these kind of posts.  I would love an answer as to why this P4P+ just shut off immediately and fell out of the sky.  I would love to know why the screen glitches while recording.  I would love to have an accurate damage assessment done and if this crash was a result of a manufacturer defect - I'd love to have the drone replaced free without any further issues.  I know these other DJI consumers just like me spend thousands of dollars on these products but with this type of customer service and response - I'm honestly very dissatisfied.

*Note*  The P4P+ did not have any prior crashes or errors shown prior to this crash.  All the batteries used were DJI brand for the P4P+.

2020-11-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi SHMedia, I am sorry for the accident that happened to your drone, I understand that must be frustrated for you. I have escalated your case and request to the managerial department for further assistance, we will have someone contact you during working hours, please wait patiently.
2020-11-4
Use props
SHMedia
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 11-4 19:44
Hi SHMedia, I am sorry for the accident that happened to your drone, I understand that must be frustrated for you. I have escalated your case and request to the managerial department for further assistance, we will have someone contact you during working hours, please wait patiently.

Thank you DJI Susan!  I appreciate the quick response
2020-11-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

SHMedia Posted at 11-4 21:44
Thank you DJI Susan!  I appreciate the quick response

My pleasure, I hope your case will be sorted soon.
2020-11-5
Use props
SHMedia
lvl.1

United States

Status update:

I'm currently in correspondence with a Manager from the DJI Technical Support Team.  I've synced flight records from the incident and they are conducting a data analysis on the P4P+.  I will update the status as things develop.
2020-11-5
Use props
SHMedia
lvl.1

United States

Here is a link to the flight record from the day of the crash.  I don't know if anyone on here can tell me if there is anything that would have caused the drone to fail and crash.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/MQ39JJCVH1XZH9WM3YKD

DJI also will be conducting a data analysis as well so I hope I can get an answer as to why this drone just turned off and crashed in the middle of flight.

Thank you!
2020-11-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

SHMedia Posted at 11-13 14:04
Here is a link to the flight record from the day of the crash.  I don't know if anyone on here can tell me if there is anything that would have caused the drone to fail and crash.

My guess is your battery was not fully inserted.  I know you say it was fully seated.  Sorry for your loss.  
2020-11-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

SHMedia Posted at 11-13 14:04
Here is a link to the flight record from the day of the crash.  I don't know if anyone on here can tell me if there is anything that would have caused the drone to fail and crash.

Hi there, thank you for keeping the case updated. We would love to dig a little deeper regarding the support issue. May I know the email you used for contacting the support? If it is convenient, please PM me your email. Thank you.
2020-11-15
Use props
SHMedia
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 11-15 22:09
Hi there, thank you for keeping the case updated. We would love to dig a little deeper regarding the support issue. May I know the email you used for contacting the support? If it is convenient, please PM me your email. Thank you.

Yes - my email is

The email that I'm using with DJI is support.us@dji.com

I'm in correspondence with Ejay (manager).
2020-11-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

SHMedia Posted at 11-19 12:49
Yes - my email is

The email that I'm using with DJI is support.us@dji.com

Thank you, I noticed that our manager is now working on your case, please wait for the update. Thank you for your patience.
2020-11-19
Use props
SHMedia
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 11-19 22:57
Thank you, I noticed that our manager is now working on your case, please wait for the update. Thank you for your patience.

Okay, thank you.
2020-11-23
Use props
djiuser_yPuE40nXbUCS
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 11-19 22:57
Thank you, I noticed that our manager is now working on your case, please wait for the update. Thank you for your patience.

Hi DJI Susan,

I have now received quite a few of the same emails stating that the team is just waiting to hear back from the "team" on results of my P4P+ crash.  The team was conducting a data analysis but they've had my drone for over a month - almost 2 months now.  Can you please look into this?  I'm trying to be patient but I use my drone for my real estate business.  Thank you!
2020-12-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_yPuE40nXbUCS Posted at 12-15 16:41
Hi DJI Susan,

I have now received quite a few of the same emails stating that the team is just waiting to hear back from the "team" on results of my P4P+ crash.  The team was conducting a data analysis but they've had my drone for over a month - almost 2 months now.  Can you please look into this?  I'm trying to be patient but I use my drone for my real estate business.  Thank you!

I am deeply sorry for the waiting, I had managed the related team to provide you an update as soon as possible. Once there is an update, we will reply to you via email. I will also keep an eye on it.
2020-12-15
Use props
djiuser_yPuE40nXbUCS
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 12-15 23:11
I am deeply sorry for the waiting, I had managed the related team to provide you an update as soon as possible. Once there is an update, we will reply to you via email. I will also keep an eye on it.

Update from DJI...

I received this email on December 24th and then one more again today. This is the 6th and now 7th person I've dealt with from DJI. This tells me absolutely nothing in relation to WHY my drone just shut off and crashed. I seem to be getting passed around from DJI representative to representative on my case = Extremely poor customer service in my opinion. I still don't have an answer as to WHY it crashed but they just want the money to "fix" my drone and send it back to me. I also wanted to know WHY my screen glitches when the drone is in record mode flying in close proximity of me/controller. This happens every single time I try to record while flying. It really makes it difficult to capture smooth video when doing real estate. Here are two email screen shots from DJI...

By the way, they have now had my drone for almost 3 months...

2020-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules