Is it worth buying mini 2 instead of Mavic Air 2?
5727 16 2020-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mavicair2tw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6485269 ft
Taiwan

Is it worth buying mini 2 instead of Mavic Air 2?  

Mini 2
  • Not support 4K 60fps
  • Not support ActiveTrack
  • Not support obstacle avoidance  (No APAS 3.0)
  • Max. flight speed in Sport Mode 16m/s or 58km/h
  • Max. flight speed in Normal Mode 10m/s or 36km/h
  • Max. Flight Hours 31 min.
  • Support OcuSync 2.0  (10 km FCC, 6km CE)
  • Weight 249g
  • Max Wind Speed Resistance 29-38kph (I doubt it)
  • Not support 8K HyperLapse
  • Not support HDR mode
  • Not support D-CineLike
  • Need screwdriver to detech/attach propellers

DJI Mavic Air 2
  • Support 4K 60fps
  • Support Active Track
  • Support obstacle avoidance (front, back and down APAS 3.0)
  • Max. flight speed in Sport Mode 19m/s or 68km/h
  • Max. flight speed in Normal Mode 12m/s or 43km/h
  • Max. Flight Hours 34 min.
  • Support OcuSync 2.0  (10 km FCC, 6km CE)
  • Weight 570g
  • Max Wind Speed Resistance 29-38km/h
  • Support 8K HyperLapse
  • Support HDR mode
  • Support D-CineLike
  • Easy chanageable propellers (no need to use screwdriver)
  • Easy changeable ND filters

Note:
Refer to mini user manual, "Make sure that the propellers are installed securely before each flight.
Check if the screws on the propellers are tightened every 30 hours of flight time (approx. 60 flight). "
Mavic Air 2 has no such warning.

Also refer to DJI official website:
mini 2 specs page at https://www.dji.com/tw/mini-2/specs
Air 2 specs page at https://www.dji.com/tw/mavic-air-2/specs

mavic_mini_2_folded.0.jpg
2020-11-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The two main reasons anyone would choose the Mini 2 over the MA2 is

1. It costs £400 less as a fly more combo than the MA2
2. It weighs less than 250g - which in real terms means that the drone has a less restricted class rating out of the box in many countries - especially across Europe. You can fly the Mini 2 over people and in built up areas from the new year whereas the MA2 will be pushed out in the A3 subcategory meaning far away from people.

The fact it now has the same RC, range/transmission and can record in 4K makes it far more appealing for those within the EU (and UK) than the original Mini.

However, to add to your list, the Mavic Air 2 also has a 1/2" quad bayer sensor over the M2 smaller 1/2.3" 12mp sensor. The MA2 also has the new smart photo mode and takes 48mp stills (although the size of each pixel is smaller than normal) and the asteroid quick shot. It also has a full focus track menu including spotlight 2.0 and POI 3.0 - which the M2 does not have. The live feed to your device on the MA2 is also 1080p whereas the M2 is just 720p and they both have digital zoom. The MA2 is also more agile and dives around 3MPH faster. I think it is safe to say that the Mini 2 is still far behind the Mavic Air 2 but the two points made above will attract a lot of people to the Mini 2 over the MA2 now and the Mini 2 was never introduced to replace the MA2... They are in a different drone class.  
2020-11-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there mavicair2tw. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. In addition to this thread I will post a link where in you can compare both the DJI Mavic Air 2 to the DJI Mini 2 and to other DJI consumer drones as well ( https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav ). Thank you and fly safe always. .
2020-11-5
Use props
mavicair2tw
Second Officer
Taiwan

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-5 21:18
Hello there mavicair2tw. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. In addition to this thread I will post a link where in you can compare both the DJI Mavic Air 2 to the DJI Mini 2 and to other DJI consumer drones as well ( https://www.dji.com/products/comparison-consumer-drones?site=brandsite&from=nav ). Thank you and fly safe always.  .

Mavic Air 2 is my first DJI drone. Christmas is coming ... I am considering to buy a handy light weight drone like mini2 for traveling with my family. After comparing Mavic Air 2 and mini 2,   I found that mini 2 doesn't have 4K 60fps, HDR, Active Track and obstacle avoidance which I used very often with Mavic Air 2.
Thank you for your comments.
2020-11-5
Use props
mavicair2tw
Second Officer
Taiwan

A J Posted at 11-5 10:25
The two main reasons anyone would choose the Mini 2 over the MA2 is

1. It costs £400 less as a fly more combo than the MA2

Thank you AJ for your comments.
If I have never used Mavic Air 2, I probably would  considere to buy mini 2 as my first DJI drone.
I use ˋ4K HDR settings, 4K 60fps and active track quite often, but I cannot find these useful features on mini 2.  
2020-11-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mavicair2tw Posted at 11-5 23:42
Thank you AJ for your comments.
If I have never used Mavic Air 2, I probably would  considere to buy mini 2 as my first DJI drone.
I use ˋ4K HDR settings, 4K 60fps and active track quite often, but I cannot find these useful features on mini 2.

I won’t be selling my MA2 for the M2
2020-11-5
Use props
mavicair2tw
Second Officer
Taiwan

A J Posted at 11-5 23:43
I won’t be selling my MA2 for the M2

Simliar question: Do you want to buy iPhone 12 mini or iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro?
It depends on what you want and your budget.
I don't often use obstacle avoidance, so it's ok without obstacle avoidance on mini 2. My first DJI drone is Air 2.
If mini 2 had 4K 60fps, HDR and Active Track, I would buy mini 2 as my 2nd DJI drone.

2020-11-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mavicair2tw Posted at 11-6 02:46
Simliar question: Do you want to buy iPhone 12 mini or iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro?
It depends on what you want and your budget.
I don't often use obstacle avoidance, so it's ok without obstacle avoidance on mini 2. My first DJI drone is Air 2.

Needs and budget are usually the bottom line. The MA2 is perfect on both accounts for me. Just a shame that new regs here will make it more restricted as to where I can fly it which is why my new needs come 2021 will steer more towards a lighter drone and specifically one <250g so I don't have to pay £250 to gain a qualification that will enable me to fly the MA2 as I have been without any issues since May anyway or face the prospect of a £1000 fine!
2020-11-6
Use props
mavicair2tw
Second Officer
Taiwan

A J Posted at 11-6 04:29
Needs and budget are usually the bottom line. The MA2 is perfect on both accounts for me. Just a shame that new regs here will make it more restricted as to where I can fly it which is why my new needs come 2021 will steer more towards a lighter drone and specifically one

Before my first flight, I registed my MA2 for free in Taiwan.  Usually I fly in the early morning 5am - 7am and try to keep away from peopleIt's ok as long as follow the rules  include registering drone if it is above 250 grams, and not flying in restricted zones.
2020-11-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mavicair2tw Posted at 11-6 04:49
Before my first flight, I registed my MA2 for free in Taiwan.  Usually I fly in the early morning 5am - 7am and try to keep away from people

I'm dead to the world at that time
2020-11-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there mavicair2tw. You are very much welcome and thank you for these information you have shared with us. If you have any inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you.
2020-11-9
Use props
mavicair2tw
Second Officer
Taiwan

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-9 21:57
Hi there mavicair2tw. You are very much welcome and thank you for these information you have shared with us. If you have any inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you.

Since DJI started to promote mini2 this month, I found that many people are very interested in the comparison between mini 2 and air 2. It would be perfect if mini2 had  4K 60fps, active track and HDR mode features. I am also looking forward to whether DJI can upgrade Air 2's functions in the near future, such as optical zoom in/out and 4K 60fps in HDR mode. Currently, Mavic Air 2 is still my best choice ^_^
2020-11-9
Use props
studfarm86
lvl.2
United States

Maybe. I own air 2 and mini. The air 2 is still superior to mini 2, e.g. can fly in higher winds. It comes down to whether or not spending a few hundred more $ matters to you.   
2020-11-14
Use props
studfarm86
lvl.2
United States

It's a shame I can't use my air 2 controller on a mini 2. I already have a mavic mini, and if I could just buy the mini 2 unit by itself and use my air 2 rc and current mavic mini batteries with it id definitely buy a mini 2.
2020-11-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

mavicair2tw Posted at 11-9 22:26
Since DJI started to promote mini2 this month, I found that many people are very interested in the comparison between mini 2 and air 2. It would be perfect if mini2 had  4K 60fps, active track and HDR mode features. I am also looking forward to whether DJI can upgrade Air 2's functions in the near future, such as optical zoom in/out and 4K 60fps in HDR mode. Currently, Mavic Air 2 is still my best choice ^_^

Hi there mavicair2tw. Thank you for the reply and for sharing your valued insights with regards to this matter. Again, thank you for your valued support and keep on flying. .
2020-11-15
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

studfarm86 Posted at 11-14 14:47
It's a shame I can't use my air 2 controller on a mini 2. I already have a mavic mini, and if I could just buy the mini 2 unit by itself and use my air 2 rc and current mavic mini batteries with it id definitely buy a mini 2.

You can indeed use your air 2 controller to control the mini 2 (it's the same model). The current difficulty is purchasing the drone alone. I believe there will be more options for this in the future.
2020-12-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So much choice.
2022-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now