Will the mini 2 get the EU class identification?
25878 26 2020-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

Does DJI plan to sell the mini 2 according to the new EU regulations that are supposed to be effective as of january next year? Or we should expetct a mini 3 next year with this identification as a novelty?
2020-11-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It doesn't need it - any drone weighing <250g will be able to be flown in the A1 subcategory as a legacy drone indefinitely - there is no transitional period for legacy drones in A1. You can fly the Mini 2 exactly the same as if it were certified as C0-not a toy. All you need to do is register yourself and mark up the operator ID on the drone. You don't even need a flyer ID. Then fly it in line with normal regs i.e. in VLOS, under 400' AGL, not over crowds, not in NFZ's/near airports etc.
2020-11-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there sbonev. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. In addition to this the DJI Mini 2 supports 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz simultaneously. In areas that support both frequency bands, DJI Mini 2 switches to the optimal frequency band and channel according to the signal conditions. Thank you.
2020-11-5
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-5 19:47
Hello there sbonev. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given. In addition to this the DJI Mini 2 supports 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz simultaneously. In areas that support both frequency bands, DJI Mini 2 switches to the optimal frequency band and channel according to the signal conditions. Thank you.

well not sure where i gave any information, asked a question, to which you responded with the frequency bands which have zero relevance to the question at hand?!!! did you even understand what i wrote?
2020-11-5
Use props
andreevbg
lvl.1

Denmark

A J Posted at 2020-11-5 08:41
It doesn't need it - any drone weighing

Hey, but if you do not have a drone certificate you need one correct? As the Mini 2 falls under the Legacy drone.

This makes things complicated for new users as myself as the entry price becomes a bit too steep. Would be amazing if DJI start selling them with Identification
2021-1-11
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

andreevbg Posted at 1-11 02:31
Hey, but if you do not have a drone certificate you need one correct? As the Mini 2 falls under the Legacy drone.

This makes things complicated for new users as myself as the entry price becomes a bit too steep. Would be amazing if DJI start selling them with Identification

you won't need it. as a drone below 250 it does not require much more than operator registration now and in 3 years...
2021-1-11
Use props
andreevbg
lvl.1

Denmark

sbonev Posted at 1-11 02:53
you won't need it. as a drone below 250 it does not require much more than operator registration now and in 3 years...

Gotta check again with the shop as they told me I would need the certification, but checking here easa.europa.eu/faq/116452 it would seem that you are correct.
2021-1-11
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

To be honest, I don't believe it, but it could be the case that the take-off weight is NOT decisive for the weight limit, but the MTOM and this is OVER 250g for both the Mini1 and the Mini2. That would mean that both (old) minis would go into category A3 on January 1st, 2023 (due to MTOM> 250g and no C0 label). That's why I also tend to believe that there will be a Mini3 with a C0 label and possibly with obstacle avoidance.
2021-1-11
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Mini + UK (CAA) = Happy days for ever....... well until all the BVLOS & >120 metre height idiots spoil it for us
2021-1-11
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

jonny007 Posted at 1-11 05:29
To be honest, I don't believe it, but it could be the case that the take-off weight is NOT decisive for the weight limit, but the MTOM and this is OVER 250g for both the Mini1 and the Mini2. That would mean that both (old) minis would go into category A3 on January 1st, 2023 (due to MTOM> 250g and no C0 label). That's why I also tend to believe that there will be a Mini3 with a C0 label and possibly with obstacle avoidance.

mtom of both mini and mini 2 are below 250 - both are 249 by specification. although the actual mtom for mini is 248 gr and for mini 2 is around 240 gr. So they don't go to a3 in no way.Unless you defy math
2021-1-11
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jonny007 Posted at 1-11 05:29

My mini 2 is 245g as weighed complete with microsd, so the Mini 2 can be flown in A1 and classed as C0, however because it has a camera you need to get the £9 operator CAA licence.

2021-1-11
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 1-11 10:26
My mini 2 is 245g as weighed complete with microsd, so the Mini 2 can be flown in A1 and classed as C0, however because it has a camera you need to get the £9 operator CAA licence.

Do not confuse take-off weight with MTOM.

Again :
The MTOM is the maximum permissible total mass to be specified by the manufacturer with which the drone can be operated. No manufacturer currently specifies this value. 242g or 249g are NOT (!) the MTOM.

If the EU regulations were to be adjusted accordingly, the MTOM of the minis would be around 280 grams, even if leg extensions, propguards, strobe lights, waterlanding legs and so on are NOT installed.

I don't think this will happen, but it shouldn't be ruled out.
2021-1-11
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

jonny007 Posted at 1-11 14:11

Again :

are you crazy??? this is not a passenger airliner!!! it is not for carrying cargo! the mtom is the weight of the drone!!! whatever you put on is your problem. but the weight is one - the stated by dji! it is 249 for the mini, which is actually 1 gram less and for the mini 2 is explicitly stated in the documentation it is between 237-240 gr if my memory does not fail me. That is the mtom!!! how can it be 280 gr? how do you calculate it? your math is way off. what it can lift cannot be counted as this drone is not designed for lifting stuff. the only math you got right here is the probability theory! according to that probably mini's mtom could be above 25 kg....if you tie it to a rock heavy enough, but will it fly?!
2021-1-11
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

jonny007 Posted at 1-11 14:11

Again :

Yes you are correct, fortunately in the UK it is take off weight
2021-1-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

andreevbg Posted at 1-11 02:31
Hey, but if you do not have a drone certificate you need one correct? As the Mini 2 falls under the Legacy drone.

The Mini 2 is not a legacy drone. No drone weighing under 250g are classed as legacy drones and may remain being operated in the A1 subcategory after 01/01/2023.

Only an operator ID is required as despite its weight it is not classified as a toy.
2021-1-15
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

2021-1-15
Use props
Robert Brown5
New

United Kingdom

Please state the source reference which clarifies that the mini 2 is not classified as a toy - according to the CAA this appears to be the deciding factor as to whether registration is required.
2021-3-7
Use props
Stu.Baby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52218 ft
United Kingdom

Robert Brown5 Posted at 3-7 14:32
Please state the source reference which clarifies that the mini 2 is not classified as a toy - according to the CAA this appears to be the deciding factor as to whether registration is required.

Since DJI don't describe it as a toy, and it fails the tests given here :
https://register-drones.caa.co.u ... hat-you-need-to-fly

then it's not a toy.
2021-3-7
Use props
djiuser_qAYJHMgDMKBX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 218356 ft
Estonia

Literally the first thing you see when you open the safety guidelines for mini 2 is "This product is NOT a toy".

You don't need a registration IF
1. it's <250g
2. it's a toy and might or might not have a camera
3. it is not a toy, and does not have a camera

Since Mini 2 does have a camera, even if it's under 250g (take-off weight is 242g, MTOM is 249g BTW, it is on the box), it needs, in EU, a registered drone operator - easa.europa.eu/faq/116454

Whether it's Class 0 or Legacy, it doesn't matter in that aspect, you do need to be a registered operator.

Either way, it's A1 all the way down.
2021-3-15
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 379449 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_qAYJHMgDMKBX Posted at 3-15 13:02
Literally the first thing you see when you open the safety guidelines for mini 2 is "This product is NOT a toy".

I don't understand how the Mini 2 MTOM can be only 249g, what about flying with the prop guards on @ about 289g?
2021-3-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

delf67 Posted at 3-15 13:47
I don't understand how the Mini 2 MTOM can be only 249g, what about flying with the prop guards on @ about 289g?

Because the only time that DJI recommends flying with the prop guards on is when you are indoors, in which case the EU rules do not apply. Flying outdoors with prop guards is asking for trouble.
2021-3-15
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

It's C0 A1 already, it's the only "old" drone that will be able to fly in A1, all other "old" drones will be A3...

You just need to register and follow the general rules, that's all.

But don't overthink about the regulations, as long as you don't do stupid stuff and post it on the internet you'll be just fine.

On the other hand,  be smart and don't expose yourself when flying a drone. People tend to get upset and call the cops when see someone flying a drone, so if you don't want to be constantly explaining that you are flying legally and within the EASA regulations, just fly undercover and enjoy a much more comfortable flight.
2021-3-15
Use props
santhell
New

Denmark

Does this mean that there is no need for a drone license?
Isnt there a difference between < 250g and <250g if it has a sensor (camera)?
2021-10-23
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

djiuser_qAYJHMgDMKBX Posted at 3-15 13:02

Here in the Netherlands the same, you need to register (as owner) for it has a camer (should be the same throughout the EU).
I guess the government needs to make money somehow, don’t they?

But nothing else, no flight license needed, nothing
2021-10-23
Use props
droneriffledchi
lvl.2

Latvia

Does anybody knows a good link which shows what changes in EU in drone regulation after 2023 compared to current situation? Found few articles and read all comments here few times but still don't have the complete picture. For example, if I understand correctly if I buy Mini 2 now in EU, regardless of regulation change in 2023 the Mini 2 will still be under A1? Or if I buy the Mini 2 now and then regulations change after 2023, would it also affect my Mini 2 and potentially impose the laws that are currently imposed on A2 and A3 drones?
2021-10-23
Use props
OnanBarbarian
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8189 ft
Iceland

droneriffledchi Posted at 2021-10-23 06:48
Does anybody knows a good link which shows what changes in EU in drone regulation after 2023 compared to current situation? Found few articles and read all comments here few times but still don't have the complete picture. For example, if I understand correctly if I buy Mini 2 now in EU, regardless of regulation change in 2023 the Mini 2 will still be under A1? Or if I buy the Mini 2 now and then regulations change after 2023, would it also affect my Mini 2 and potentially impose the laws that are currently imposed on A2 and A3 drones?

This is EU laws but every each country they can have them regulation as well .
https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-the-european-union/

https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws/

In My country till i not use it for commercial purposes im free of any register. But i should be aware of where i fly and what i cant do.

2022-8-1
Use props
djiuser_1hZsDS1x43xO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66719 ft
Canada

I have a mini 2 bought in 2023
I know I have to register and have insurance to fly in the EU I hope to fly my mini 2 in Norway and Iceland in 2024
Will I have to write a test as well. It's a little confusing.
Thanks
2023-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules