Video file type on iPhone - saves as MP4 instead of MOV
6246 4 2020-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
budc
lvl.1

United States

I have an iPhone XS Max

I previously had an OM2 which used the DJI GO app.  That saved the video within the app, so in order to download videos to my PC (so I could then join videos together using Free Video Joiner) and upload them in a merged format, I would have to save them to my phone Camera Roll.  It saved them in the standard iPhone format, which is .MOV

Now with the OM4 I have to use the DJI MIMO app, which saves the videos directly to the Camera Roll.  However, it saves them in MP4 format.

When I download these to my PC, I cannot open them with Windows Media Player or Movies & TV - it throws a CODEC error.  So I downloaded VLC Media Player - at least I can watch them now.

However, Free Video Joiner does not allow for joining MP4 files (it can output them to that format, but they can't be the "input" format).  I downloaded the free MP4Joiner program, and it doesn't recognize the file format either.

This is particularly frustrating for me as I record my kids' basketball games, merge them, then upload them to YouTube for the team to watch.  Now I can't do that.

I called support and was on the phone with them for about an hour.  They told me initially that the program uses the default phone format and they "can't change that".  After I challenged that by noting that I recorded other videos the same day without the OM4 and they recorded in MOV format, and it wasn't an issue of transferring the file from my phone to the PC (they are in MP4 format when looking directly at the iPhone "APPLE###" directories), they informed me that the app records in MP4 format only and this cannot currently be changed.

So is that true?  If so, this is ridiculous.  Why would you make the app record in a different format than the phone default format?  And why is it recording in a format that a program designed to join/split MP4 files cannot read?

Any solutions here?

2020-11-6
Use props
budc
lvl.1

United States

So after some messing around, it turns out that if the DJI MIMO app is set to record at 60 fps (which I believe it is, by default) then the resultant file format is incompatible with Windows Media Player and Movies & TV - it can't play the video (only the audio).

Similarly, the 60 fps format is not compatible with Free Video Joiner or MP4Joiner.

I also tried opening the video on my phone and editing it with iMovie, make a slight change, and saving it as a new file.  That created an MOV file that I could then download to my PC, but I could only open that with the VLC player as well, and both video joiners rejected those files as well.

I've now recorded 5 basketball games and I cannot join the videos together without likely purchasing some expensive video editing software to stitch them together (and I'm not going to upload gigabytes of videos to some free online site to do that)

I was able to set the fps to 30 and record a few test videos, which saved as MP4 files, but I was able to view those on WMP and Movies & TV, and the joiner programs worked on those.

2020-11-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can use the free handbrake app to convert the files.
2020-11-9
Use props
budc
lvl.1

United States

Does that convert from 60 fps to 30 fps?  Because I think that is the main issue here.  Not sure why I never had this issue with the DJI GO app.

Did you see my 2nd post?  I can watch/join the videos in MP4 when fps is set to 30
2020-11-9
Use props
Yiliayoung
lvl.3

United States

It's suggested to give Joyoshare Video Joiner a shot.
This decent tool comes with a high-compatible inbuilt media player to play different files. Also, it supports nearly all mainstream multimedia formats, such as MP4, MOV, MPEG, AVI, MKV, MP3, AC3, FLV, VOB, etc.
It allows changing resolution, codec, sample rate, bit rate, channel and more as you wish, so it's possible to adjust from 60fps to 30fps. Any changes can be previewed in its visualized window.
2020-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules