URGENT RS2 Owner, does your handle lock lever rotate fully?
8664 23 2020-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nomnomnom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8343 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've bought two RS2 now, and both the same problems. The lock lever for the battery handle does not rotate fully to the lock icon. Even according to the manual, it should.

Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.58.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.59.22 PM.png

Does your unit rotate fully? It's honestly very dangerous because there's no locking at all for mine, if I accidentally hit the lever, it slides into the unlock position and the handle comes right out.

PLEASE HELP. I bought this TWO TIMES NOW
2020-11-6
Use props
Ssaumlsch
lvl.4
Germany

Hey, I have the same problem, my lock doesn't close all the way either. This make using the gimbal underslung ov even hanging on a crane a little bit sketchy I guess...
2020-11-7
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine is fully rotated when locked.
2020-11-7
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Moni Johnson Posted at 11-7 07:21
Mine is fully rotated when locked.

When it rotates fully does it ‘click’ and stay there? Does it prevent accidental rotation?
2020-11-7
Use props
Ssaumlsch
lvl.4
Germany

Hm that sucks - this is how fare I can possibly move it without having the feeling of breaking something...

Now it's a question of if the problem lies with the battery or the gimbal itself. Could a moderator forward this to DJI support or do we have to contact them ourselves?
2020-11-7
Use props
ogburrigmail.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

same problem here
2020-11-7
Use props
Indio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

was the same on ronin-s  > normal
2020-11-7
Use props
Ssaumlsch
lvl.4
Germany

Indio Posted at 11-7 15:17
was the same on ronin-s  > normal

Actually no, I own a Ronin S and the lock on that gimbal doesn't have a click in stop (the middle round button) like on this mechanism. Additionally, on the Ronin S the battery slides in from the front, so there is less chance of the whole gimbal just falling straight down when underslung.
2020-11-7
Use props
Indio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Ssaumlsch Posted at 11-7 15:46
Actually no, I own a Ronin S and the lock on that gimbal doesn't have a click in stop (the middle round button) like on this mechanism. Additionally, on the Ronin S the battery slides in from the front, so there is less chance of the whole gimbal just falling straight down when underslung.

even if the lever on the RS-2 is completely open, the battery handle does not come off
only when the safety button is pressed
2020-11-7
Use props
Ssaumlsch
lvl.4
Germany

Indio Posted at 11-7 15:57
even if the lever on the RS-2 is completely open, the battery handle does not come off

I just tested this on my unit and no, it definitely comes out - the safety button never engages since I can't close it all the way. But that's interesting! When does your safety button engage - only when you close the lock all the way or when you slide the battery in the first time?
2020-11-7
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Indio Posted at 11-7 15:57
even if the lever on the RS-2 is completely open, the battery handle does not come off

No that is not true. Mine comes off without safety button pressed
2020-11-7
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

nomnomnom Posted at 11-7 07:36
When it rotates fully does it ‘click’ and stay there? Does it prevent accidental rotation?

Yes, mine seems to lock in place.
2020-11-10
Use props
ToscanaDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Same for me.
2020-11-11
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I mean I know it's not a big deal for a lot of people but I'm actually quite poor and this is a very expensive investment for me. I think this is not really an acceptable fault where it's a real danger to the safety of the camera
2020-11-11
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

That's not really a safety button. You can forcibly still pull the battery out. The button also makes sure to keep the latch in the unlocked position when a battery isn't attached so that you can pop a battery in when swapping batteries. The release button allows the internal latch to slide away to provide frictionless detachment. It's helpful in situations where you have the universal mount sitting on top of a car and the entire rig is heavy. You want to be able to lift up without any snag.

As for the lock icon, the latch doesn't click into a lock position as it's a pressure fit similar to the camera plate latches. In order for your battery to slide out, you have to physically rotate the latch and hold it in the unlocked position to pull the battery out. If you accidentally pushed the latch, it'll spring out and won't stay in the locked position.
2020-11-12
Use props
qbvbsite
lvl.1

Canada

Same here, to start it was a little over half way. after removing and relocking a few time its now closer to the end but not fully. Is this normal DJI?
2021-1-13
Use props
qbvbsite
lvl.1

Canada

mine is a little closer to @Ssaumlsch image above

2021-1-13
Use props
qbvbsite
lvl.1

Canada

I would really like someone from DJI to confirm the above is ok for use ^^
2021-1-19
Use props
qbvbsite
lvl.1

Canada

Still waiting for an answer on this from DJI.... anyone?
2021-1-25
Use props
dominicjames
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1445374 ft
United Kingdom

Just taken delivery of my RS2 and while it's charging up I tried to attach the head but also noticed the lever doesn't go all the way to the closed position. It looks like most of the post above are from a while ago. Can anyone update on what they had to do? Any DJI Forum people on hand to help? Is it safe to use when it's only half closing?
2021-2-11
Use props
dominicjames
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi, did you solve this? I've just taken delivery of mine and it only goes 3/4 of the way towards locking.
2021-2-11
Use props
Jaar en Dag
lvl.1
Netherlands

I have the same problem. I can lock it all the way but it's just not tight. During shoots I have to retighten the lever all the time and the whole thing even came loose once while filming.  It also means I cannot use the gimbal in briefcase mode or upside down because I am just too scared that it will come off and my camera will fall.

So, this is pretty big. Still no answers?
2021-2-11
Use props
dominicjames
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi all,

SOLVED!

There is nothing wrong with our gimbals! I just heard back from DJI and they say it is not meant to go all the way to the end - even though the User Guide say's "and then toggle to the locked position after attaching".

Here is what they sent...

-------------------------------------
Dear Dominic,

Thank you for contacting DJI.

We are very sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your DJI product. The grip lever cannot be toggled to the endpoint, which is normal and deliberate design in order to avoid lever looseness caused by wear. The arrow and icon on the grip indicate the locked and unlocked directions, rather than positions. Go through the methods below to determine whether the grip lever is normal:

1. When the grip lever is toggled towards the unlocked direction, check whether the grip battery can be detached from the gimbal smoothly after pressing the safety button. After removing the grip battery, check whether the grip lever can spring back normally.

2. When the grip lever is toggled towards the locked direction, the angle as shown in the picture below should be between 35° and 80°.
2021-2-12
Use props
megac
lvl.1

Germany

I , only partially, agree.

I’ve checked the mechanism for a few days now, and found the reason.
there is a big tolerance in the serial-production of the notch at top of the batterygrip, as well at the latch of the locking mechanism.

It is true, that , as soon as the lever jumps rotating into locking position, there is nearly no way to detach the grip.
The latch engaged into the groove, and one cannot press the release button .
That is caused by a small pin , which can only released in the full “unlock” position.
But then …even without pressing the button!

Exactly that is causing my concern….. if accidentally stuck somewhere on my wear and rotated back, it will immediately fall apart WITHOUT pressing a secure button. (unlockposition is fully unlocked !!!)

In my case the rotating lock , is moving only 40% of the full angle.
Other pictures, I’ve seen , show a rotation of 60% -80%.

If the qc at DJI would have been more thoroughly, there would not be such a big tolerance .

So i expect, that , as soon as the additional batterygrips are available in march or later, they will have made their homework, and improved the position and alignment of the groove in this new batch(a bit more up and a few microm deeper)…then they will fit perfectly …. and more confident.

It would be too bad, if that really professional made gimbal with it's obviously deliberated design, would fail , because of that , easy to fix, weak-spot.
2021-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules