RavenEye not working: Getting tired of poor QC and buggy firmware
7633 31 2020-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ogburrigmail.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

I'm getting tired of DJI's poor quality control and buggy firmware!

I spent the whole day yesterday to try to get a wifi link with the RavenEye.

In the beginning, it seemed to work but after 5 secs there was a cryptic message saying it is disconnecting due to channel switching. Many others on the forum are experiencing the same problem. (see picture)

I tried everything including removing the sim card on my iPhone (weird!) , checking wifi networks with a MacBook Pro, an IPad Pro and even an Android device (a RED Hydrogen, go figure!). I even switched the RavenEye many times by pressing the button for 15 to 20 seconds.

And yes the wires are properly set up and I exchanged all of them to check if they are working properly. No problem with the cables.

At the moment, RavenEye behaves weirdly: the 3 white LEDs are endlessly blinking and the color led changes from blue to red without reason. (see picture)

I think my unit is faulty and judging from what I do read on this forum, I'm not the only one who received a lemon!

I have a shooting this afternoon where the director wants to have an image feed so I'm gonna use my trusty Hollyland Mars. 400S which works perfectly! (see picture)
PS(edit): And to make things worse, my RS2 also suffers from the handle lock lever that doesn't want to rotate fully. Poor QC definitely!

error message

error message

raveneye not working

raveneye not working

weird blinking

weird blinking

No RavenEye network

No RavenEye network

HollyLand Mars400S

HollyLand Mars400S
2020-11-8
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, we are sorry for the issue on the Raveneye. Can you try to unplug your sim card (smartphone without a sim card) from the iPhone and re-open the Ronin app, to see if the notification of channel switching still pop up?
2020-11-8
Use props
ogburrigmail.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

As mentioned in my message above, I tried everything including removing the sim card on my iPhone.

As I write this message, the RavenEye appears completely dead , dead as a dead head. No lights anymore, even if I'm pressing the button!
2020-11-8
Use props
Trastero
lvl.1
Spain

2020-11-9
Use props
ogburrigmail.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

Welcome to the club!
Problem is that the DJI support doesn't answer or, if they do, you can see that they didn't even take the time to understand your message.
2020-11-9
Use props
Trastero
lvl.1
Spain

there is a raveneye firmware update that fixes all the problems, finally !!!
2020-11-9
Use props
ogburrigmail.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

Good news , Trastero!
But can you tell me how do you apply the fix!
Thanks
2020-11-9
Use props
Trastero
lvl.1
Spain

I have been able to connect the Raveneye to the mobile by resetting it (password 12345678) once inside the new firmware update appears
2020-11-9
Use props
Spmedia
lvl.1
United States

Trastero Posted at 11-9 03:24
I have been able to connect the Raveneye to the mobile by resetting it (password 12345678) once inside the new firmware update appears

how were you able to change password , i have tried everything for hours nothing worked
2020-11-9
Use props
Trastero
lvl.1
Spain

press the Raveneye button 6 times
2020-11-9
Use props
ogburrigmail.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
At least, someone is helping....
2020-11-10
Use props
djiuser010101
lvl.3
Malta

Keep us updated. I have the RSC 2 Pro Combo on the way.
2020-11-10
Use props
ogburrigmail.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

Keep us updated. I have the RSC 2 Pro Combo on the way.

Sure Do
2020-11-10
Use props
ogburrigmail.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

I tried to press six times but without any result
The 3 white lights of my unit are blinking continuously like a cheap light show in a seedy club.
So, I do not know for sure when exactly to press.
Looks like I did receive a faulty unit, like many others who did post on this website.
I'm wondering why DJI support is neither answering nor offering a RMA to return the faulty merchandise.
2020-11-10
Use props
Trastero
lvl.1
Spain

The same thing happened to me with the 3 lights blink, the Raveneye did not respond but I was able to reset it, connect to the mobile and update it, you can too. I'm sorry for my English
2020-11-11
Use props
ogburrigmail.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

Your english is perfectly fine!

But, for some reason, even though I tried like a madman, I'm totally unable to reset this thing. Sure that I got a dud!

And DJI support remains mute.
2020-11-11
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

There hasn't been a firmware update yet for RavenEye. Let me explain the connection logic. There are 2 different certifications for RavenEye: FCC and CE. These two output different power depending on your country and it's based off first your GPS location and if we can't get your location through GPS, then we go off the country code your sim card is providing. You must allow the app to see your location when connecting, This simply tells the RavenEye which country code to apply during this session to ensure the antenna output power is within regulation standards.

If you're having issues, try going outside to get a GPS signal on your phone and then connect to RavenEye. If you're not using a popular mobile phone carrier, then the country code may be reported wrong and we can't determine which country RavenEye is being used. If you're using the "pull sim card trick", you need to quit the app and restart it without a sim card.

We plan to have a fix for this logic in a future app update to prevent these location issues.
2020-11-12
Use props
ogburrigmail.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

Thanks very much for the answer, even though that doesn't seem to solve my problem.

I do take note that there hasn't been a firmware update at the moment for RavenEye.

This contradicts clearly, I'm afraid,  many posts on this forum of users who claim they were able to "upgrade" their unit after performing a magic trick of their own (either pressing the button six times or depressing it for more than 15 seconds...) .

I'm not sure to understand the concept of "popular mobile phone carrier". I do however certify that I do subscribe to the second-largest mobile phone provider of the country, which is far from being....exotic.

I 'm also glad to take note that there's gonna be soon a fix for this issue as I'm not ready to ask my director clients to remove their sim card before being able to monitor the shots.
2020-11-12
Use props
Trastero
lvl.1
Spain

I have not invented anything, when I was able to enter the Ronin application there was a firmware update. So all the problems with the 3 lights were solved
2020-11-12
Use props
ogburrigmail.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

I'm accustomed to buy tech products. I have had bad experiences in the past but never have  seen such a thing. They literally make me mad.

2020-11-12
Use props
ogburrigmail.com
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

Look what I have found on another thread on THIS forum:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=228135&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D561%26typeid%3D561

This is an answer to a post by DJI Susan who presents herself as "Administrator"

Hi Asaoman, thank you for getting back, please try to press the button for 15 seconds until the white lights turn off, then power it on again.
After that, try to connect the transmission WiFi, if the app can be connected normally, the app will prompt you to update the firmware, please update the firmware. See if this helps.
So, I'm asking officially the question: is there or not a new RavenEye firmware?

2020-11-12
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

ogburrigmail.com Posted at 11-12 22:40
Look what I have found on another thread on THIS forum:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=228135&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D561%26typeid%3D561

Please refer to this post: RavenEye connectivity confusion
2020-11-13
Use props
ogb
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

DJI-Paul Posted at 11-13 02:28
Please refer to this post: RavenEye connectivity confusion

Thanks DJI Paul
Interesting post!

Issue #2
You get flashing lights and establish a connection and get a notice for firmware.

You’ve gone into the loader state for RavenEye meaning the firmware has been erased and wiped from the system. You’ll get a message to update firmware but this is not actually updating firmware. You’re just re-installing firmware on RavenEye.

Just a small question, if I dare: How do you reach the loader state? I would like to escape the state of "connectivity confusion"....

You think you just bought a new gimbal but in fact you have been transported in a cheesy psycho scifi flick...Gee
2020-11-13
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

This is a bug in the firmware and not intentional. It takes a few events to coincide exactly at the same millisecond in order for this to actually happen so we've only received a handful of this being reported.  If you reach this state, the firmware has been erased and will just need to be reinstalled. You don't gain anything from doing this.
2020-11-13
Use props
Corsair2814
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40144 ft
  • >>>
United States

ogb Posted at 11-13 02:42
Thanks DJI Paul
Interesting post!

Do I have to dance around in circles with incense burning to get it to work?  I can't use the product, complete bull....
2020-11-13
Use props
ogb
lvl.2
  • >>>
Switzerland

Yes, it's what exactly on my mind.

You should remove your sim card
You should get out and walk in the garden
You should press the button for 15 secondsYou must have an exotic mobile phone carrier

It's not what I saw advertised in their shiny product videos

But, still,  they are surprised that we dare to complain that the lemons are not working the way they are supposed to

2020-11-14
Use props
ImproveWithJoe
lvl.2
United States

Yeah obg the level of support for this product (which costs OVER A GRAND) is completely unacceptable. Still waiting on help for these issues.
2020-12-15
Use props
may.g
New
France

Hi,

I've had the axact same problem (first connection fine, disconnect, can't find wifi anymore, press 6 times, 15 seconds, removed the SIM card)

So I contacted the customer service, had to wait 24h between 2 mails, eventually asked for a repair case, sent it for repair, had it fixed and sent back...

Only to face the exact same problem !!

Aside from dancing around it naked in the wood at full moon, I don't know what else to try...
2020-12-18
Use props
Kwitchibo
lvl.1

Luxembourg

i have 3 blinking white led's and the blue one... nothing more impossible to connect..
2021-1-24
Use props
Jakobustrop
lvl.1
Germany

Anything new? Got my Ronin Today and i am pulling my hair out trying to update the raveneye. This has to be some kind of a sick joke.
2021-1-28
Use props
Giulian76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1886608 ft
Italy

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=232876

2021-1-28
Use props
Jakobustrop
lvl.1
Germany

So i figured something out. First of the DJI support on the phone told me there is a new App Version on the RS2 Support page that is not yet available in the Play Store. So install that first. Then for the firmware to update your phone needs an Internet Connection. Meaning that when you are connected to the raven eye via WLAN your LTE/4g/3g needs to stay on for him to download the Update. On my phone that wasn't enabled by default. It still wasn't working for me so i tried the last thing I could think of and bought new High Speed Data Volume. I guess the slow speed was to slow for the updater to download the update. With the new High Speed Data it downloaded and installed fine. For some weird reason my Serial number is -1-1-1-1-1-1-1 now but it has updated successfully and is usable.
2021-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules