Longer cable for Air Unit to Camera
4930 15 2020-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gigahurtz
lvl.2

United States

Hello everyone,

I'm very interested in moving from analog FPV to the DJI HD FPV system.  One challenge as a fixed-wing pilot is the limited cable length of the camera to the air unit.  Many people like to use a GoPro up front in their planes to capture footage with Hypersmooth, but usually this real-estate is limited, so placing a gopro, air unit, and a camera up front is challenging on a Mini Drak, for example.  It's also not the best situation for hitting the proper CG.

A much cleaner solution would be to provide a longer camera cable, perhaps in the neighborhood of 30-40cm in length, so the air unit can be pushed further back into a bay.

I've scoured the internet but haven't had much luck finding such a cable.  They look challenging to build as a DIY effort as well.  I'd love to let DJI know about this because there are plenty of people in this situation and would benefit from the availability of longer cables.

Any suggestions or guidance would be much appreciated!

2020-11-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Gigahurtz. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. You may try check our DJI Where To Buy platform on this link ( https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ) to see if those cables that you need is available. In addition I hope that you can get some recommendations from our DJI Co pilots with regards to this inquiry. Thank you and please be safe always.
2020-11-8
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 915233 ft
Croatia

The longest I've seen so far is 20cm. I know there are third party cables for Mavic Pro camera which is the exact same connectors (but that's only ~18cm) so it's definitely possible that some company could make even longer ones in the future if wing pilots get loud enough
2020-11-9
Use props
Gigahurtz
lvl.2

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-8 23:17
Hello there Gigahurtz. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. You may try check our DJI Where To Buy platform on this link ( https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ) to see if those cables that you need is available. In addition I hope that you can get some recommendations from our DJI Co pilots with regards to this inquiry. Thank you and please be safe always.

Echoing ficheck, the longest I've seen is 20cm.  This unfortunately doesn't cut it for many fixed wing builds.  Is there a way to bring this to DJI's attention and see if we can have an assortment of longer cables made?  40cm or even 50cm would be great!
2020-11-9
Use props
kornface13
New

United States

I'm another fixed wing pilot that hasn't bought the DJI setup specifically because of this reason.  DJI, make a longer cable, and I'll start buying the full HD setup for all my planes.   
2020-11-9
Use props
djiuser_lQYRzRtk83T0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 234918 ft
Canada

Hi is there a reason why 20cm is the longest cable available for the air unit?  I would like to put this in my fpv plane but 20cm is to short.

Thanks
2020-11-10
Use props
Gigahurtz
lvl.2

United States

So, DJI, what are your thoughts on offering some longer cables for the connection between the air unit and the camera?
2020-11-11
Use props
Gigahurtz
lvl.2

United States

Any news on this request?
2020-11-20
Use props
Gigahurtz
lvl.2

United States

Hello DJI, have you had a chance to evaluate this request? Thank you!
2020-12-19
Use props
Gigahurtz
lvl.2

United States

Bringing this to the top as a longer camera to AU/Caddx vista cable would greatly improve our ability to integrate the DJI HD FPV system into our builds.
2020-12-27
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

Longest I could find was this.

Caddx Vista Cable

It's for the Caddx Vista, but it should work with the Air unit as well.
2021-1-15
Use props
Gigahurtz
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for sharing.  20cm is a nice option.  I actually used that cable on a recent built.  For larger planes, though, a 40 or 50cm length would be of great benefit.  Consider the Mini-Drak, for example.  There isn't a great place to put the Vista or AU if you run a GoPro up front.  I've considered cutting out a small tray and a hole in the front of the coroplast lid, but this still isn't as ideal as putting the Vista or AU in one of the bays further back.
2021-1-15
Use props
Kris Williams
New

United States

Gigahurtz Posted at 1-15 22:47
Thanks for sharing.  20cm is a nice option.  I actually used that cable on a recent built.  For larger planes, though, a 40 or 50cm length would be of great benefit.  Consider the Mini-Drak, for example.  There isn't a great place to put the Vista or AU if you run a GoPro up front.  I've considered cutting out a small tray and a hole in the front of the coroplast lid, but this still isn't as ideal as putting the Vista or AU in one of the bays further back.

So there is just no real answer to this question from DJI? I'm also a fixed wing guy and i have a real hard time balancing things out as far as my CG goes as well. I got lucky and became friends with a guy who was able to 3D print me some mounts for the AU and Camera but it really makes one big clunky mess and you can't really place the camera in the best spots. Help us DJI, you're our only hope????
2021-3-6
Use props
Gigahurtz
lvl.2

United States

Kris Williams Posted at 3-6 07:46
So there is just no real answer to this question from DJI? I'm also a fixed wing guy and i have a real hard time balancing things out as far as my CG goes as well. I got lucky and became friends with a guy who was able to 3D print me some mounts for the AU and Camera but it really makes one big clunky mess and you can't really place the camera in the best spots. Help us DJI, you're our only hope????

Agree, putting the AU or Vista up front is often challenging from a real estate and balancing standpoint when you also want a GoPro.  Take a look at the mini or nano drak fixed wing aircraft.
You run into similar CG issues with flying wings.  Please help us by producing longer camera cable options, DJI!
2021-3-6
Use props
Gigahurtz
lvl.2

United States

Hello DJI, fixed wing FPV users are still holding out for a longer camera cable so that we can mount the AU or Vista further back in the fuselage.  Is this something you (or one of your manufacturing partners) can please help make for us?
2021-5-23
Use props
pogcarr
New

United States

Still waiting DJI, why is this still not a thing?
2023-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules