Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OM4 Magnetic Ring Holder iPhone 11 Pro Max Mounting Tip
6158 18 2020-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cavu Films
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Everyone.

Now I know this suggestion will not work for everyone but it might help some of you that have the iPhone 11/12 Pro Max and want to use the OM4. People have said that the Mag Clamp does not fit on the Max phone case because of its size. Well I came up with a solution. I normally buy the $11 to $15 clear silicone cases for my phones off Amazon so modifying them isn't a big deal. So I took my $12 case and cut a hole in the back so I could mount the OM4 Magnetic Ring Holder directly to the back of my iPhone. Then when I put the case on the Ring Holder it is almost flush with my silicone case so it doesn't snag on my pocket when it take it in and out. So now I can quickly connect my OM4 to my iPhone and it works perfectly. Hope my solution can help someone who is trying to figure out how to make something like this work for them.

2AE102CF-940F-4C50-8395-AF2ED2E48E37.jpg
2C25C66F-A405-43AA-922E-28CB8EA5850B.jpg
2020-11-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good suggestion (IMO)
2020-11-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Cavu Films. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information here at DJI Forum. This is very innovative. Great work and thank you for your support.
2020-11-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the tip!
2020-11-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought they recommenced not putting directly on the glass,  also doesn't this stop it from charging?
2020-11-10
Use props
Cavu Films
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-10 02:06
I thought they recommenced not putting directly on the glass,  also doesn't this stop it from charging?

Just the opposite actually.

Can I use DJI OM 4 with a phone case?

It is not recommended to attach the ring holder to a phone case. Phone cases, however, can be used with the magnetic phone clamp.
I have a large HP charging mat and my wireless charging still works but I wasn't expecting it to. I figured I would have to still plug it in.
2020-11-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cavu Films Posted at 11-10 10:27

From https://www.stuff.tv/dji/om-4/review

f you have a plastic phone and fancy yourself a bit of a risk taker, you can stick a metal ring to the back of it using the adhesive bonding sticker in the box. The metal ring isn’t recommended for glass phones, but would be our choice from a convenience point of view. The idea of ditching a grip in favour of a handy, tiny kickstand stuck on the back of our phone is a dream come true.
2020-11-11
Use props
macsearcher
lvl.1

Canada

Cavu Films Posted at 11-10 10:27

Hey Cavu Films.
Would be able to describe how you went about adhering the ring directly to the iphone? I know that they recommend not putting it on a glass back but it seems that you've had good results.
2020-11-12
Use props
Cavu Films
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

macsearcher Posted at 11-12 11:51
Hey Cavu Films.
Would be able to describe how you went about adhering the ring directly to the iphone? I know that they recommend not putting it on a glass back but it seems that you've had good results.

All I did was use the supplied mounting sticker and placed that on my glass back and then attached the magnetic ring holder and its on their for good.
2020-11-12
Use props
Cavu Films
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-9 20:04
Hello there Cavu Films. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information here at DJI Forum. This is very innovative. Great work and thank you for your support.

You are most welcome.
2020-11-18
Use props
Psajunk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1858363 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've done the same, but the ring keeps getting pulled off the phone (iPhone 12 Pro Max) by the strength of the OM4 magnet.

Tried multiple adhesives including 3M VHB, but still not strong enough to resist the OM4.

Looking into two part epoxy next
2020-11-19
Use props
Cavu Films
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Psajunk Posted at 11-19 06:54
I've done the same, but the ring keeps getting pulled off the phone (iPhone 12 Pro Max) by the strength of the OM4 magnet.

Tried multiple adhesives including 3M VHB, but still not strong enough to resist the OM4.

You laid down the clear sticker first correct? And then put the magnetic ring holder on top of that sticker.
2020-11-19
Use props
Psajunk
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Cavu Films Posted at 11-19 09:26
You laid down the clear sticker first correct? And then put the magnetic ring holder on top of that sticker.

No, is it that simple?

Now I feel like a dummy
2020-11-19
Use props
Cavu Films
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Psajunk Posted at 11-19 11:52
No, is it that simple?

Now I feel like a dummy

Well don't beat yourself up. I did the same thing to start with. I was putting the ring directly on the iphone and the gimbal would rip it off. After the sticker its on their permanently has not pulled off since and frankly won't.
2020-11-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Cavu Films Posted at 11-18 10:53
You are most welcome.

Hi there Cavu Films. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy filming always. .
2020-11-19
Use props
Psajunk
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Cavu Films Posted at 11-19 13:35
Well don't beat yourself up. I did the same thing to start with. I was putting the ring directly on the iphone and the gimbal would rip it off. After the sticker its on their permanently has not pulled off since and frankly won't.

Success! Applied clear sticker then ring mount. Waited 12 hours before attaching OM4.

All appears to work properly, and ring mount remains secure after attach/detach
2020-11-20
Use props
Cavu Films
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Psajunk Posted at 11-20 07:36
Success! Applied clear sticker then ring mount. Waited 12 hours before attaching OM4.

All appears to work properly, and ring mount remains secure after attach/detach

Glad to hear it.
2020-11-20
Use props
Graeme Mitchell
New

Australia

What size hole did you cut - it seems to be a 35mm hole?  Is that the size you cut out, and what did you use for the cutting?
2021-1-1
Use props
Cavu Films
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Graeme Mitchell Posted at 1-1 19:48
What size hole did you cut - it seems to be a 35mm hole?  Is that the size you cut out, and what did you use for the cutting?

I used a 1-3/8" Forstner Drill Bit like this one. After cutting the hole I used an X-Acto knife to smooth out the edges.

2021-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules