Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Shaky Footage with excellent balanced gimbal
284 16 2020-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dom Waits
lvl.2
Germany

Hey, I use the DJI Ronin SC on a Lumix GH5S and an Olympus M. Zuiko 17mm 18 fixed focal length lens. The app says the gimbal is balanced excelently on all axes, it's auto tuned but the footage looks like this:   

What can I do to improve this?  
I tried to improve the image by increasing the stiffness of the axis to tilt 27, roll 53 and pan 60.  

What am I doing wrong?  
I want to record walking tours with the gimbal

2020-11-9
Use props
Rincewind
Second Officer
  • >>>
Taiwan

Hi there, Dom.

I think your problem has sadly more to do with your walking than with the gimbal itself. Most handheld gimbals, including the SC, do not have any way to compensate for most of the jerky movement in the up-down axis. Your cheapest (and best) option is to practice the ninja walk (this is for the old osmo, but you get my point: ). You could also buy a Z-axis stabilizer (I'm not sure I can post links to amazon here, but just google ronin sc z-axis stabilizer, and several will pop out). Lastly, considering that the GH5S doesn't have a lot of rolling shutter, I think that you could get away with a tiny bit of stabilization in post (I use davinci resolve perspective or similarity stabilizers, which work beautifully), but that will of course cut down your resolution by say 5 to 10%, depending on how good you are with your walking technique. In my case, I use a sony a6400, which has horrendous rolling shutter. With wide angle lenses, it is not too noticeable, and you can get pretty good stabilization in post. However, as soon as I go above 30 mm and am not careful with my walking, the stabilized footage in post looks like my lens was made of jello.

Hope this helps!
2020-11-9
Use props
Dom Waits
lvl.2
Germany

Hey Rincewind,

thank you for the reply! That helped a lot.
I tried the walking but it did not help with the micro jitters which frustrate me the most about this.
The problem seems to be a bit wider when you check links like this: https://forum.dji.com/thread-190423-1-1.html (and others).  

I use Sony Vegas and can't figure out how the stabilization works so far but I will get into it.
At the moment I am thinking about either getting a different camera (like the gh5 which has IBIS) or a different gimbal, probably a crane.

Thank you
2020-11-9
Use props
Rincewind
Second Officer
  • >>>
Taiwan

Dom Waits Posted at 11-9 20:54
Hey Rincewind,

thank you for the reply! That helped a lot.

Hi Dom,

I've never used Vegas, so I can't help much on that front, but surely there must be something there. I know how annoying the jitters are. How about lenses with built in optical stabilization? The a6400 kit lens had it, and it worked really nicely for me when I started using more serious gimbal/camera combinations. To tell you the truth, though, I was not pleased at all with the image quality, and ended up learning how to walk (it really does take some time) and using the sigma 16 and 56, which do not have it.

As for the crane, I suppose you will be looking at a bigger model, but I have to tell you, I used to have the crane M2 and I despised it. I really wanted to like it because it was so compact, but it was very jittery, very difficult to balance, and would produce super jerky X- and Y- axis movements despite me spending hours trying to adjust settings. Ended up selling it and buying the ronin SC. Your mileage may vary, but I'd highly recommend that you test any new gimbal with your camera first in the shop or wherever before you purchase.
2020-11-9
Use props
Rincewind
Second Officer
  • >>>
Taiwan

I checked the thread you referred to. That Actually happened to me a while ago after the gimbal got wet (got caught in a thunderstorm while at the beach...). In the end, I had to re-calibrate the entire system, run the balance test and the motor calibration a couple of times. That's since solved those little jitters and drift behavior. No guarantee it'll work for you too, but I suppose its worth a try.
2020-11-9
Use props
Dom Waits
lvl.2
Germany

Thank you so much for the input!  
While we speak I am watching videos about Mercalli, the stabilizer plug-in I got for Vegas.  

It's true, my lens does not have a build in stabilizer. I could try that. Don't know which one to buy though, because I would like a fixed lens that works good with shots made in low light.  And from what I read they are really expensive though
2020-11-9
Use props
Rincewind
Second Officer
  • >>>
Taiwan

Glad I could help. However, you should only have to do any of the things we've been talking about to get rid of the up and down movement you get from walking. The microjitters you get are clearly a problem of the gimbal itself, and you should not be paying money and/or resolution to get rid of something the gimbal should not be doing. Try recalibrating the gimbal (under the status tab in the ronin app, and then "system calibration"), followed by a balance test and auto tune (under "motor parameters").  Repeat the process a couple of times. If that doesn't get rid of them, do contact DJI customer service, because, again, the gimbal should not be doing that.
2020-11-10
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, thanks for providing the video according to your issues.
Same as the user Rincewind mentioned, you may try the Ninja walk during your shootings.

Here is the tips:
1. Bend your knees slightly and relax.
2. Move at a constant speed.
3. Walk heel to toe and walk at a steady speed. (The trajectories of the front and rear feet fall as much as possible on the same line.

Also this video will help you achieve a stable frame: https://cdn.djivideos.com/watch/ ... y=false&poster=

Besides, you can also adjust the Deadband on the Ronin app, you can find it on the User Profile. It is recommend to increase the deadband to the axis that you found it shaky.

Hope the above information helps.

Let us know if you still need any assistance, thanks!
2020-11-10
Use props
Dom Waits
lvl.2
Germany

Hey Wanda,

thank you for the input. I am not complaining about the up down movement. This comes somewhat naturally and the ninja walk can not be performed (at least not by me ) during one shot 60-90 minute videos which I am trying to do with my project.  (Example I recorded with the Osmo Pocket: , now here because I wanted to upgrade).  

I just want to fix the issue with the micro jitters and the app and all the steps: testing the balance, doing calibration and auto tune don't seem to help me with my very right setup.  

Rambalac, a youtuber I think of as one of the biggest inspirations for me, tried the Ronin SC and can't recommend it.   You see those micro jitters. And they are, in my opinion not acceptable. So what can I do to get rid of those?

Thank you, best wishes
Dom

2020-11-10
Use props
Dom Waits
lvl.2
Germany

Hey, I really need an answer for that and I can't seem to fix the Jittering in Post with any image stabilizer.
2020-11-11
Use props
Dom Waits
lvl.2
Germany

Can anyone of DJI please reply to that issue?
2020-11-13
Use props
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Show us a couple photos of your setup.
2020-11-13
Use props
Dom Waits
lvl.2
Germany

DJI-Paul Posted at 11-13 04:09
Show us a couple photos of your setup.

Do these help or do you need anything else?
2020-11-13
Use props
Dom Waits
lvl.2
Germany

Guys please, could you help me figure this out?
Why is the DJI Ronin not stabilizing the image properly?
It was adressed multiple times already and ended in the customers of your products being ignored:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-190423-1-1.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/comments/dekzyd/dji_ronin_sc_micro_jitters/
2020-11-22
Use props
FVP
First Officer
France

I have same problem with RS2  perfect balanced gimbal.

BUT to see if it’s a walk problem or vibration I mounted RS2 on my steadycam (like ARRI Trinity). No difference, the jitter is same. So it come from RS2.

When I mount my Freefly Movi it’s perfect...
I will sell this RS2 if next firmware don’t solve the jitter.
2020-11-22
Use props
Dom Waits
lvl.2
Germany

FVP Posted at 11-22 07:29
I have same problem with RS2  perfect balanced gimbal.

BUT to see if it’s a walk problem or vibration I mounted RS2 on my steadycam (like ARRI Trinity). No difference, the jitter is same. So it come from RS2.

Okay, it looks like DJI is just not able to build good gimbals then. Or at least not for walking tours.  
Will buy another one as well and sell my SC.
2020-11-22
Use props
Dom Waits
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-10 02:03
Hello there, thanks for providing the video according to your issues.
Same as the user Rincewind mentioned, you may try the Ninja walk during your shootings.

I still need your help here! What can I do to fix this?  
I paid for your product which does not do what it should do. It does not stabilize the footage I shoot, you know about this issue, how can I solve this?
2020-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules