Focus motor range / stop
8564 23 2020-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
artwerk
lvl.1
Austria

Hey!

I just received my RS2 and installed the focus motor. Is there any way to set a STOP / range in which the motor operates? When i reach the end of the focus range on my lens the motor is not able to spin any further and makes a strange noise. I thought it mit damage the motor.

2020-11-10
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, thanks for letting us know your ideas about the Focus Motor.
Could you please tell us which camera model and the lens you used? We will refer this information to see if any solutions avaiilable.

Thanks!
2020-11-10
Use props
artwerk
lvl.1
Austria

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-10 01:55
Hello there, thanks for letting us know your ideas about the Focus Motor.
Could you please tell us which camera model and the lens you used? We will refer this information to see if any solutions avaiilable.

hey!
Thanks for your answer

I use a Panasonic Lumix GH5 and a Walimex 35mm T 1.5 Cine lens.
2020-11-10
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

artwerk Posted at 11-10 02:12
hey!
Thanks for your answer

Hello, thanks for the information. As the lens you used is not on our recommend lens list (you can visit https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility/rs-2/gh5), we have not tested the lens from the Walimex.
We will send this lens info to our camera testing team for reference and we suggest you to use the lens that on the list (see the link above) for the better experiences.

Thanks!
2020-11-10
Use props
artwerk
lvl.1
Austria

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-10 02:20
Hello, thanks for the information. As the lens you used is not on our recommend lens list (you can visit https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility/rs-2/gh5), we have not tested the lens from the Walimex.
We will send this lens info to our camera testing team for reference and we suggest you to use the lens that on the list (see the link above) for the better experiences.

I think you are missing the point here. It has nothing to do with the type of lens or camera I am using.
This issue is present on ALL manual lenses
2020-11-10
Use props
artwerk
lvl.1
Austria

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-10 02:20
Hello, thanks for the information. As the lens you used is not on our recommend lens list (you can visit https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility/rs-2/gh5), we have not tested the lens from the Walimex.
We will send this lens info to our camera testing team for reference and we suggest you to use the lens that on the list (see the link above) for the better experiences.

See here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D764%26typeid%3D764
2020-11-10
Use props
cambot
lvl.1

United States

artwerk Posted at 11-10 02:23
See here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=227245&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D764%26typeid%3D764

HI, I also have this issue with any manual lens.  I read that you can set hard stops with the DJI focus wheel.  I bought that and hope it helps, but we should be able to do this without buying extra pieces.  
2020-11-10
Use props
fans6a14c198
lvl.1

France

Hi,

I have the same issue using the focus motor.
I would need to set a starting and end point so the focus wheel doesn't force on my lens nor the focus wheel.
2020-11-14
Use props
fans6a14c198
lvl.1

France

Thank you DJI!
The latest update added "Dolly Zoom" which enable calibration of the focus motor.
See here: New RS 2 Firmware Released (25/11/2020)
2020-12-2
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

fans6a14c198 Posted at 12-2 10:03
Thank you DJI!
The latest update added "Dolly Zoom" which enable calibration of the focus motor.
See here: New RS 2 Firmware Released (25/11/2020)

yes, but does not work
2020-12-2
Use props
fanscd0feb27
New
Canada

This is a big problem for me as well. There NEEDS to be a way to manually set the focus end points. The focus motor almost ripped off my camera as it keeps spinning when it gets to the hard stop.  Even if it does calibrate the lense it keeps going past the hard stop and loosening the camera every time.  There is so much torque in the focus motor I’m convinced that it’s probably damaging the mount of my camera. Tried again tonight with the new 3D focus system and it unscrewed a Helios lense when trying to calibrate it was spinning with so much torque once it reached the hard stop.  

PLEASE update in a firmware release DJI!

The focus motor and the new 3D focus are useless without manual calibration or a better dead zone with more sensitive focus motor auto calibration near the hard stops of a lense!!

2021-1-20
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

paul pan wrote (i think will come to the RS-2 also):

RSC2 Beta
What’s New?
•        Added Orbit Follow mode.
•         Added manual setting for focus endpoints for DJI Ronin Focus Motor,  where users can set a controllable range between Point A to Point B  manually.
•        Added Deep  Sleep mode to extend battery power. Press the gimbal power button twice  to enter sleep mode, and the gimbal will automatically enter Deep Sleep  mode after 10 minutes if no interaction has happened with the gimbal.  The touchscreen will be set to its lowest brightness, and the RSA  accessory expansion port will power off. Repeat to exit Deep Sleep mode.
•         Added front dial control over camera parameters, shutter speed, gimbal  tilt/pan movements. Also added adjustable front dial smoothness and  direction reversal.   
•        Added shutter/autofocus control for Z CAM E2、Z CAM E2-F6、Z CAM E2-F8、Z CAM E2-M4、Z CAM E2-S6
•         Optimized roll axes algorithm for large angle tracking in Horizontal,  Portrait, and FPV modes, preventing the gimbal from getting stuck during  tracking at specific angles.
•        Fixed issues: The built-in screen flashes when the gimbal motor is stuck during rotation
•        Fixed issues: calculation error of customized parameters in Panorama mode.
•        Fixed issues: when using Z CAM with manual lenses, the gimbal axes failed to stabilize the camera.

Notes
•        Make sure that the DJI Ronin app is the latest version when updating the firmware.
•         Update the firmware using the DJI Ronin app by connecting the DJI RSC 2  via Bluetooth. Update the firmware of RavenEye transmission module  separately by connecting it with DJI Ronin app via Wi-Fi Do not  disconnect the DJI Ronin app and DJI RSC 2 during the update. Do not  disconnect the DJI Ronin app and DJI RSC 2 during the update.
•         If DJI RSC2 has a camera attached and is powered on while updating the  firmware, make sure to protect the camera and lens as the motors will  power off during the update.
•        If the firmware update fails, restart DJI RSC2 and retry.

2021-1-22
Use props
KabeM
lvl.2
Germany

So, here we are in 2021, and still have no solution for this?

I'd like to use the focus motor to zoom – the camera should use the AF for focus. As the zoom go he lens has a hard stop, auto calibrating doesn't work, it really puts a lot fo stress to the gear. I' like to simply set the A+B points in the app, or at the RS2 itself, but can't seem to find it.
2021-3-14
Use props
KabeM
lvl.2
Germany

To anwer my own question in the hope that it helps others:

• Start up the RS2

If the front dial is not already assigned to control the focus motor:
  • Swipe up the bottom menu
  • > Dial functions
  • Focus Motor
  • Go back to main menu

Now set the limits:
  • Swipe in the right menu
  • Scroll the menu down do the bottom
  • > Set motor endpoints
  • > Manual endpoints
  • Use the front dial to rotate the motor to the start and end points and set start and stop point
2021-3-14
Use props
Robert Bergmann
lvl.2

Poland

But the 3D focus calibration requires automatic focus motor calibration everytime with their twisting plate from the motor calibration  process issue.
2021-4-1
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Robert Bergmann Posted at 4-1 09:05
But the 3D focus calibration requires automatic focus motor calibration everytime with their twisting plate from the motor calibration  process issue.

yes, but done in maximum 1 minute with the help of the information on the LCD display
2021-4-1
Use props
Robert Bergmann
lvl.2

Poland

Indio Posted at 4-1 13:58
yes, but done in maximum 1 minute with the help of the information on the LCD display

I mean the PROBLEM IS UNSOLVED for 3D FOCUS USERS  where the automatic crazy calibration twisting camera on plate and  beating up lenses IS MANDTORY WITHOUT POSSIBILTY TO MANUALY SET POINTS (it requires this even when you set points manualy on Focus Motor).

DJI will this be resolved in future updates?
2021-4-2
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

but these are different requirements
2021-4-2
Use props
Joppeverbruggen
lvl.1
Belgium

KabeM Posted at 3-14 23:20

Is there a way to do this on the rsc2 or in the app?
2021-4-26
Use props
fans64ce92b1
lvl.1
United States

KabeM Posted at 3-14 23:20

This is the solution. Thanks for this
2021-5-14
Use props
fans64ce92b1
lvl.1
United States

KabeM comment above is the solution. Worked for me
2021-5-14
Use props
artwerk
lvl.1
Austria

I seem to be too stupid to calibrate my focus motor manually.
When i click set Starting point, the motor just starts operating violently... and then the green light starts blinking.

How do i do that properly?
2021-5-25
Use props
Jack Poole
New

United States

So I think people on here having "success" are muddling this issue in DJIs eyes with what kind of calibration they're trying to do. If you are not attempting to use the 3D Focus Module to add autofocus to your manual cine lenses than this isn't an issue. Lens calibration works fine (well not fine, it's still janky AF but it's at least possible). The issue comes when you hook the 3D focus module up and attempt to select the lens you're using. Because it forces a fully automatic lens calibration to even start the process you CANNOT use manual start/end points. It is THIS automatic calibration process that appears to be a way more aggressive and broken than the regular lens calibration even though in theory they should be doing the same thing. So literally a lens that you just calibrated already by swiping right from the start will not calibrate and will spin away and damage your lens when you go to select it (which again forces another calibration for no reason) in order to use it with the 3D Focus module. This happens on big giant cine lenses with built in gears and hard stops as well as stills lenses with DJI's clip-on gears (and forget about using Tilta's nice form fitting gears or any other 3rd party options, the motor will shred those).

Something to try... I find that sometimes if I swap out which USB-C cables I'm using to connect the gimbal to the module and then to the motor (or just unhook and rehook the same cables sometimes) I can occasionally get it to bypass this issue. But it's so hit or miss that it completely can't be trusted on a paid shoot.

This is so frustrating since this feature originally worked. It was only destroyed after a firmware update. I've since tried reverting firmware (I've literally tried every single firmware working backwards) and nothing helps. This is clearly a massive glitch on DJIs end that they refuse to address.
2022-3-31
Use props
jamie bryce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6624065 ft
  • >>>
Australia

same thing happens on the ronin 4d
2023-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now