1324 35 2020-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Psoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16279465 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've never been a fan of digital zoom as the resulting degradation makes it a waste of time. However, when I briefly tried it out on my Pocket 2 I found it more than useable. This is a quickly done video clip taken at work. I'll probably do a more detailed comparison if there's interest

Here's another similar video, but at 2.7K and now the zoom is able to go to 3x.

2020-11-10
Use props
TommyBento
lvl.3
United States

if you capture at 4k why not take advantage of the process @60 Mbps at 4K!
2020-11-10
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I have to say that I've been impressed with what I've seen online of the P2 with zoom.  Particularly with brief use, I don't think it yells "digital zoom" at the viewer.  In your excellent example above, I think the movement of the camera makes it perhaps more detectable - maybe it is best with non-panned shots?  But the aircraft number in black on the white body of the plane looks as sharp as a tack in the zoomed version.

If you were knid enough to test further (my P2 has still not arrived) I for one would be interested in a non-panned shot, in daylight, of a scene with detail plus some foliage (which often gives things away) zoomed in the camera, then compared with what you get by zooming in post-production, which is the normal alternative to in-camera digital zoom.  Ideally, best not to use either, but if it has to be done, it would be interesting to see if there is any visual advantage in using the P2 zoom.

Of course the other reason why in-camera digital zoom is best avoided is that if you do it later, you have more control and can undo it if it doesn't work.  But if in-camera works best with the P2, that consideration might be outweighed.
2020-11-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Psoon. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this wonderful video you have created. Great work and keep on filming.
2020-11-10
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.
It does look like a doubling of the ISO value grain wise so not as bad I thought it would be but what surprised me was it showed depth of field blurriness towards the front and rear of the aircraft.
I think it also helped to have such bright lighting at the airport from a filming point of view and to be moving around on wheeled transport. Smooth.
2020-11-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow very nice!
How did you get the motion so smooth?
Were you walking?
2020-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I subscribed to your channel via 2 channels .
Mine are http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl
http://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMontfrooij
2020-11-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nicely done
2020-11-11
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 11-11 00:30
PS, I subscribed to your channel via 2 channels .
Mine are http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl
http://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMontfrooij

Thanks, I have a few more videos mainly taken with the Osmo Pocket but will be adding more Pocket 2 videos  for  those that are looking for comparisons between the original Pocket and this new model. Many have said that it’s not worth the upgrade, so I’ll just post comparisons in as direct and real world as possible
2020-11-11
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

A J Posted at 11-11 00:56
Very nicely done

Isn’t the Pocket an amazing little camera?
2020-11-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Psoon Posted at 11-11 01:18
Isn’t the Pocket an amazing little camera?

Certainly looks like it - quite tempted myself looking at the reviews
2020-11-11
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Wow very nice!
Were you walking?

In a vehicle, holding the Pocket in one hand and driving slowly around the aircraft.  As I had to keep an eye on where I was going, the Pocket kept track of the subject. Great little camera
2020-11-11
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Psoon Posted at 11-11 01:22
In a vehicle, holding the Pocket in one hand and driving slowly around the aircraft.  As I had to keep an eye on where I was going, the Pocket kept track of the subject. Great little camera

Indeed, bumping ino a plane would be more expensive than an Pocket 2...
2020-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Psoon Posted at 11-11 01:22
In a vehicle, holding the Pocket in one hand and driving slowly around the aircraft.  As I had to keep an eye on where I was going, the Pocket kept track of the subject. Great little camera

Ah that explains it.
Super nice!
2020-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Psoon Posted at 11-11 01:16
Thanks, I have a few more videos mainly taken with the Osmo Pocket but will be adding more Pocket 2 videos  for  those that are looking for comparisons between the original Pocket and this new model. Many have said that it’s not worth the upgrade, so I’ll just post comparisons in as direct and real world as possible

I'm very interested in Pocket 2, did you already try the motion timelapse?
2020-11-11
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

TommyBento Posted at 11-10 20:10
if you capture at 4k why not take advantage of the process @60 Mbps at 4K!

Can’t transfer to iPad a 60p video
2020-11-11
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 11-11 01:44

Shouldn’t be any different than with the original Pocket.  DJI have added 1sec and 0.5sec to the interval setting.Having said that, I've reported to DJI an anomaly that I noticed when performing a Motion timelapse using the 0.5 and 1sec interval settings. The gimbal stutters or jerks between shots. This does not seem to have any negative effect on the time lapse as the resulting video is smooth. So far I've only experimented with short 5mins durations. I'm not comfortable committing to longer durations until I hear from DJI about the anomaly that I've reported.
2020-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Psoon Posted at 11-11 03:24
Shouldn’t be any different than with the original Pocket.  DJI have added 1sec and 0.5sec to the interval setting

Do you use the raw output for motion timelapses?
2020-11-11
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 11-11 03:51
Do you use the raw output for motion timelapses?

If you’re asking about the Pocket 2, I’ve not done any serious Motion timelapse because there seems to be a problem when using the 1sec or 0.5sec interval settings. However, with my older Pocket I’ve been happy letting OP create a video at the end of the timelapse
2020-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Psoon Posted at 11-11 03:57
If you’re asking about the Pocket 2, I’ve not done any serious Motion timelapse because there seems to be a problem when using the 1sec or 0.5sec interval settings. However, with my older Pocket I’ve been happy letting OP create a video at the end of the timelapse

Oh, what problem?
It would me my main feature to buy the Pocket 2
(motion timelapse)

Do you have motion timelapse examples online from Pocket 1?
2020-11-11
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 11-11 04:16
Oh, what problem?
(motion timelapse)

Here’s a Motion timelapse done by the OP.   
2020-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Psoon Posted at 11-11 04:35
Here’s a Motion timelapse done by the OP.    https://youtu.be/YdAWrMBe68g

Thanks. That looks very smooth.
What issues are there that you are aware of with P2?
2020-11-11
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Oh, what problem?
(motion timelapse)

As requested, here’s a small collection of motion timelapses done with the original Osmo Pocket........something that the new Pocket can easily emulate
2020-11-11
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Oh, what problem?
(motion timelapse)

It’s a little too soon, but during my initial tests with motion timelapse using the 0.5s and 1s interval settings I noticed the gimbal making a jerking motion with every subsequent shot. The final video output is smooth and normal looking. I’ve brought it to DJI’s attention and awaiting a response. It could be a minor problem with my copy or it might require a firmware update.
2020-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Psoon Posted at 11-11 06:59
As requested, here’s a small collection of motion timelapses done with the original Osmo Pocket........something that the new Pocket can easily emulatehttps://youtu.be/EzoRh3tSKnc

Wow man, you just convinced me even more that the P2 will be my new gadget
2020-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Psoon Posted at 11-11 07:10
It’s a little too soon, but during my initial tests with motion timelapse using the 0.5s and 1s interval settings I noticed the gimbal making a jerking motion with every subsequent shot. The final video output is smooth and normal looking. I’ve brought it to DJI’s attention and awaiting a response. It could be a minor problem with my copy or it might require a firmware update.

Ok, I hope it is something minor indeed.
I will look for other P2 owners and check with them too!
2020-11-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 11-11 01:44

Just received mine today, it’s very impressive, it’s €20 cheaper than original but offers so much more, I hope to test out in the field weather permitting this weekend.
2020-11-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 11-11 08:53
Just received mine today, it’s very impressive, it’s €20 cheaper than original but offers so much more, I hope to test out in the field weather permitting this weekend.

Congrats.
From what I have seen so far, I am really impressed.
I'm most curious about the motion timelapse feature.
Since that is what I am planning to use the most with this kind of device!
2020-11-11
Use props
GRandyB
lvl.3
United States

Psoon Posted at 11-11 07:10

I tried one today just sitting at my desk and noticed the jerky movement also.
I thought it was stuck and not moving at all but later played it back and it was very smooth.
The jerking motion is still a concern so please do report back when you hear from DJI.
Thanks,
Randy
2020-11-11
Use props
TommyBento
lvl.3
United States

Psoon Posted at 11-11 03:20
Can’t transfer to iPad a 60p video

referring to the youtube bit rate.
2020-11-17
Use props
Laowai
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GRandyB Posted at 11-11 15:15
I tried one today just sitting at my desk and noticed the jerky movement also.
I thought it was stuck and not moving at all but later played it back and it was very smooth.
The jerking motion is still a concern so please do report back when you hear from DJI.

Can also confirm the jerking motion when setting the time interval to 0.5.
2020-11-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As good an illustration of its capabilities as one could hope for. Thanks for the share.
2020-12-18
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-10 20:50
I have to say that I've been impressed with what I've seen online of the P2 with zoom.  Particularly with brief use, I don't think it yells "digital zoom" at the viewer.  In your excellent example above, I think the movement of the camera makes it perhaps more detectable - maybe it is best with non-panned shots?  But the aircraft number in black on the white body of the plane looks as sharp as a tack in the zoomed version.

If you were knid enough to test further (my P2 has still not arrived) I for one would be interested in a non-panned shot, in daylight, of a scene with detail plus some foliage (which often gives things away) zoomed in the camera, then compared with what you get by zooming in post-production, which is the normal alternative to in-camera digital zoom.  Ideally, best not to use either, but if it has to be done, it would be interesting to see if there is any visual advantage in using the P2 zoom.

Sorry for the late reply. Weather at my corner of the world has been the usual dreary, grey and wet December. However, if you can accept my word, I'll say that the digital zooming for stills is a waste of time. However, when used in video it can save some post processing steps. The degradation in video is not noticeable when zoomed in as even a 4K resolution is much smaller than the still photo full resolution - 4K's 3840x2160 vs a16:9 still photo's 4608x2592 of the Pocket
2020-12-18
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 11-10 23:14
Thanks for sharing.
It does look like a doubling of the ISO value grain wise so not as bad I thought it would be but what surprised me was it showed depth of field blurriness towards the front and rear of the aircraft.
I think it also helped to have such bright lighting at the airport from a filming point of view and to be moving around on wheeled transport. Smooth.

I can assure you the ride was not as smooth as it looked in the video. The gimbal removed all the bumps and shakes that I felt. Very impressive little gadget
2020-12-18
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Wow very nice!
Were you walking?

Thats what the Pocket does so well. I was in a vehicle driving at idle speed as slowly as possible keeping an eye on my surroundings whilst the camera tracked the aircraft. Try doing that with a smart phone or a regular mirrorless camera or a video cam.
2020-12-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Psoon Posted at 12-18 23:31
Thats what the Pocket does so well. I was in a vehicle driving at idle speed as slowly as possible keeping an eye on my surroundings whilst the camera tracked the aircraft. Try doing that with a smart phone or a regular mirrorless camera or a video cam.

Amazing man!
2020-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules