Can't Connect Mobile Device to Drone
1586 23 2020-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pollardd
lvl.1

Australia

Hi Everyone,
I know this seems to be a regular occurance but I have tried a few things and I have run out of ideas.
Firslty I received this drone from someone who wasn't using it. It looks like new and I wouldn't be supprised if it has hardly ever flown.
I have charged up the controler and I have one good battery charged up in the drone.  My second battery is completely non responsive but that is another problem.

I have managed to re-connect the drone to the controller. When I first turned them on there was lots of flashing lights and beeping.  That bit is happy now.

The problem is my mobile device doesn't connect to the drone at all.
I have tried different USB cables and different mobile devices. An Iphone 6 with an updadted IOS, A recent Model IPAD(don't remember the version) and a samsung/android phone thats less than 2 years old. Nothing Connects. There are two usb ports on the remote control and niether of them seem to do anything.  In the video's I have seen people seem to use the Micro usb port and then use the micro to regular usb adapter cable supplied.

I have read that a bois update could solve this problem. I have no idea what bios version is currently on the drone.
Of course if I can't connect to the drone from my mobile I need to do the bois update from my PC.
I have downloaded the "DJI Assistant 2 for Phantom" and installed it on my PC.  Following the instructions in the DJI video it too does not connect to the drone.
After a bit of a boot sequence the drone just sits there with two of the lights under the propellers flashing a greenish yellow colour and the other two propella lights are off.
The cooling fans are also running. The small light next to the usb cable on the drone is red.
I have logged into the Assistant 2 application and it sits there with the "lug the usb cable into your PC " graphic.

Any ideas how I can move forward with this?  I can't wait to give it a fly.
Thanks
David
2020-11-10
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Welcome David ; During the installation of Dji assistant on your pc, make sure that this program is allowed on your pc's firewall , i would try also format Sd card in the Dji app
2020-11-10
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

2020-11-10
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

2020-11-10
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

I would try reinstall Dji assistant 2 :

here is the link : https://www.dji.com/es/downloads ... t-dji-2-for-phantom
2020-11-10
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Mke sure you are using the Correct Sd card  (class 10 ) in your Drone  
2020-11-10
Use props
pollardd
lvl.1

Australia

JetSam Posted at 11-10 23:08
Welcome David ; During the installation of Dji assistant on your pc, make sure that this program is allowed on your pc's firewall , i would try also format Sd card in the Dji app

Hi JetSam,
I do remember being prompted to allow firewall access during the installation and I clicked allow.
I'll try disabling the firewall to see if that makes any difference.
Tried that and disableing the firewall didn't make a difference.
2020-11-10
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

pollardd Posted at 11-10 23:47
Hi JetSam,
I do remember being prompted to allow firewall access during the installation and I clicked allow.
I'll try disabling the firewall to see if that makes any difference.

Take a look at the videos above , hope it helps !!
2020-11-10
Use props
pollardd
lvl.1

Australia

JetSam Posted at 11-10 23:49
Take a look at the videos above , hope it helps !!

The disabling of the firewall didn't make any difference.
I also connected the SD card to the computer directly and found files from 3 previous flights in 2017 and some blurry thing from 2014. I'm not sure when these drones were first released so that may be a incorrect date. Sorry no nude beach footage

The SD card reported "a problem" when I first connected it to the PC. Before I corrected that problem I copied the files off. I then reconnected the card and allowed windows to fix the problem. That took about 2 seconds. I could see it is currently a fat32 file system so I simply formatted the card again.
Installed back in the drone and let it boot up. Still can't connect it using the DJI Assistant 2 application.
I can't see the point to reinstall it at this stage as the original install completed without any problems at all. I'll probably try that tomorrow anyway but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Still open to ideas

I reconnected the SD card to the PC and one folder has been recreated automatically.  "DCIM"
There were multiple folders on there previously but the videos were in the DCIM folder.

2020-11-11
Use props
pollardd
lvl.1

Australia

JetSam Posted at 11-10 23:15
I would try reinstall Dji assistant 2 :

here is the link : https://www.dji.com/es/downloads ... t-dji-2-for-phantom

That is the download I used to install
2020-11-11
Use props
pollardd
lvl.1

Australia

JetSam Posted at 11-10 23:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYSqz7R5zwI&t=50s

I can't do the calibration test because it doesn't connect to my drone.
I never get the option shown in the video where the voice over says "Please select Phantom 4"
2020-11-11
Use props
pollardd
lvl.1

Australia

JetSam Posted at 11-10 23:42
Mke sure you are using the Correct Sd card  (class 10 ) in your Drone  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwRE77wPHJg

My SD card is a Lexar 633x 16GB Micro SD.
I assume this is the original card that shipped with the Drone as new.
Looking closely at the card I see what looks like a 10 with a C around it.
And a U with a 1 inside it.
And the letters HC I.

This card obviously worked in the past as there was video from the drone on it.
I wouldn't expect a card with a less than optomial bit rate to stop the drone from connecting to anything at all.
2020-11-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You say the RC handset and the drone will connect - so it's possibly the software and the mobile phone where the problem lies.  Have you tried a short test flight  just using the controller?  If the bird flies  you can test the controls without even leaving your backyard.  It might be worth considering a third-party App to run on your mobile phone to control the drone.  It's presumably not under warranty. I fly a P4 using Litchi exclusively - haven't used the DJI app for the Phantom for a couple of years now.
2020-11-11
Use props
fans785b06f0
lvl.1

Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 11-11 15:26
You say the RC handset and the drone will connect - so it's possibly the software and the mobile phone where the problem lies.  Have you tried a short test flight  just using the controller?  If the bird flies  you can test the controls without even leaving your backyard.  It might be worth considering a third-party App to run on your mobile phone to control the drone.  It's presumably not under warranty. I fly a P4 using Litchi exclusively - haven't used the DJI app for the Phantom for a couple of years now.

Hi Bleriot,
I’m a newbie with drones and not game at the moment to fly it directly if I don’t know what it’s going to do.
I know I’ll probably crash very quickly.  All the GPS guidance stuff sounds fabulous.
The fact that the two different phones can’t connect and neither can a pc on a direct USB cable tells me something else is going on.  I haven’t herd about 3rd party apps before.  I’ll see if I can find the one you are referring to.
Do the two flashing yellowish lights mean anything?
Also the little light next to the USB port on the drone goes red when I try and connect to the pc?

I might try installing the firmware update app on an older windows W7 pc and use yet another cable and see if that connects.
You are correct, no warranty.  I think this probably sat in a box unused for at least 3 years.
2020-11-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans785b06f0 Posted at 11-12 00:43
Hi Bleriot,
I’m a newbie with drones and not game at the moment to fly it directly if I don’t know what it’s going to do.
I know I’ll probably crash very quickly.  All the GPS guidance stuff sounds fabulous.

Did the previous owner register the drone with DJI, do you know?  That's essential. Don't worry about flying the drone without connection to the mobile phone for the moment. Just try to take off using the sticks, as explained in the manual. The drone will then fire up, take off and hover about 1.5 metres from the ground, so long as you don't make any other movement of the sticks. Now, you can gently move the sticks, one at a time, to get used to what they do, all within your back yard space, before going further afield.  If you can do all that, then Litchi should fly your drone no worries - even if the firmware is not up-to-date on the drone.  Have a good read of the manual first, and good luck.
2020-11-12
Use props
fans785b06f0
lvl.1

Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 11-12 01:33
Did the previous owner register the drone with DJI, do you know?  That's essential. Don't worry about flying the drone without connection to the mobile phone for the moment. Just try to take off using the sticks, as explained in the manual. The drone will then fire up, take off and hover about 1.5 metres from the ground, so long as you don't make any other movement of the sticks. Now, you can gently move the sticks, one at a time, to get used to what they do, all within your back yard space, before going further afield.  If you can do all that, then Litchi should fly your drone no worries - even if the firmware is not up-to-date on the drone.  Have a good read of the manual first, and good luck.

Small progress!
I tried yet another USB cable connected to the original pc and this time the drone was detected.
I could update the firmware to v01.02.0602
I did a camera calibration test by following shapes around on the PC screen  and that succeeded.
I then connected my Samsung phone to the remote control using the same cable and it is still not detected.  The controller started beeping again with the small red light flashing.
With the propellers not fitted as I’m inside the house I moved both sticks down and out.  The beeping stopped and the small light on the remote control turned green.  The motors all started spinning.
The lights under two of the propellers started flashing slowly Red Green Red Green
As I moved the sticks I could hear the motors changing speeds.
From this I guess the  fast flashing lights must probably mean not connected to anything?
The Red Green Red Green probably mean connected to controller in manual mode?
Not sure what to try next getting the phone to connect.
Maybe I’ll try my iPhone again.
Somewhere I also saw that the firmware on the controller can also be updated.
And the batteries also have firmware in them.
I’ll have another go tomorrow.
Maybe I’ll cough up the $36 dollars for the program you recommend.  All I really want is something that works and I can understand without requiring a degree
i wonder what happens if a call comes in while I’m flying.  Don’t tell me I should put it In Airplane Mode
Actually I have no idea if the drone has been registered.  How can I tell and how can I now register it to me?
2020-11-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans785b06f0 Posted at 11-12 02:38
Small progress!
I tried yet another USB cable connected to the original pc and this time the drone was detected.
I could update the firmware to v01.02.0602

I wouldn't want to take a call whilst using the phone to control the drone, so always in Airplane mode, yes.
If the four motor spin up, then I reckon you could try fitting the props and have a little test flight. Find somewhere fairly flat and free of obstacles.  In Australia you Cobbers have a backyard the size of London, right?   When the drone takes off, keep you hands off the sticks and it will rise to about 1.5 metres above the ground and hover there, if all is well.  From there you can take it in gentle stages - not going far, so that you can still see the drone clearly in order to steer it back to you.  If you can update the firmware and the RC and batteries, then the drone must have been registered with DJI at some point.  As to how you change the registration to yours, that is beyond my ken.
2020-11-12
Use props
fans785b06f0
lvl.1

Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 11-12 08:27
I wouldn't want to take a call whilst using the phone to control the drone, so always in Airplane mode, yes.
If the four motor spin up, then I reckon you could try fitting the props and have a little test flight. Find somewhere fairly flat and free of obstacles.  In Australia you Cobbers have a backyard the size of London, right?   When the drone takes off, keep you hands off the sticks and it will rise to about 1.5 metres above the ground and hover there, if all is well.  From there you can take it in gentle stages - not going far, so that you can still see the drone clearly in order to steer it back to you.  If you can update the firmware and the RC and batteries, then the drone must have been registered with DJI at some point.  As to how you change the registration to yours, that is beyond my ken.

Yes we have huge back yards.  Mine is 85 acres
So I should be able to find a safe spot.  My brother is a pilot and he flies over my place at 30,000 feet so I doubt I’ll hit him.  Although there are hardly any flights these days.

I don’t think I have actually updated the the firmware on the controller yet.
I did get a message about a bios mismatch when I first successfully connected the drone to my pc.
Maybe the battery had a different version to the drone.
I think you are right about the drone being flyable as it is.  I’ll se if I can give it a go over the weekend.
I notice there are two USB ports on the remote control.
If the micro USB port is to connect the mobile device what is the standard USB port used for?
2020-11-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans785b06f0 Posted at 11-13 00:35
Yes we have huge back yards.  Mine is 85 acres
So I should be able to find a safe spot.  My brother is a pilot and he flies over my place at 30,000 feet so I doubt I’ll hit him.  Although there are hardly any flights these days.

The larger USB port is to alternatively connect a tablet rather than a phone.  I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2  8 inch tablet ( no phone chip in that, just wifi)  and it gives a much better view than a small phone screen. That's the port you should be using in any case.  The smaller one is for doing firmware and otheer updates, if memory serves.   I haven't updated my Phantom for a couple of years.  I use Litchi exclusively with it and have had zero issues.
2020-11-13
Use props
fans785b06f0
lvl.1

Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 11-13 01:03
The larger USB port is to alternatively connect a tablet rather than a phone.  I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2  8 inch tablet ( no phone chip in that, just wifi)  and it gives a much better view than a small phone screen. That's the port you should be using in any case.  The smaller one is for doing firmware and otheer updates, if memory serves.   I haven't updated my Phantom for a couple of years.  I use Litchi exclusively with it and have had zero issues.

It’s a slow process
I connected to my iPad again using the large USB port on the remote controller.
To my surprise the app could now see the drone.  The app asked me to do a compass calibration which I did and that succeeded.  One problem I still have is my iPad is slightly too big to use in the controller bracket.
When I went into the “About” screen in the app an update was listed for the drone.
The on screen diagram said to connect the iPad directly to the drone using the standard USB cable plus the short adapter cable.  I could download the update but the install failed.  No reason for the failure was given and I was asked to upload diagnostic into to DJI.  It said they would email me a solution but I’m not holding my breath
This may be because my battery was charged to about 60% and the app said it needs to be at least 50%
So maybe it was just being picky.
More details to follow.  I could probably take it for a fly now with all the firmware as it is if I can figure out a way to hold my iPad.  I might try again with my iPhone.
2020-11-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans785b06f0 Posted at 11-14 18:28
It’s a slow process
I connected to my iPad again using the large USB port on the remote controller.
To my surprise the app could now see the drone.  The app asked me to do a compass calibration which I did and that succeeded.  One problem I still have is my iPad is slightly too big to use in the controller bracket.

Some progress then   I never use the DJI Assistant to do updates - one reads of so many failures that it put me off. Other than the P4 I have a couple of Mavics, and I always do the updates over wifi with the smartphone connected.  You need fully charged batteries on everything, and fast broadband to do it that way, but I've never had a failure to update following that procedure.  The P4, you will recall, I've not updated for a long while. I reckon, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
2020-11-14
Use props
fans785b06f0
lvl.1

Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 11-14 22:56
Some progress then   I never use the DJI Assistant to do updates - one reads of so many failures that it put me off. Other than the P4 I have a couple of Mavics, and I always do the updates over wifi with the smartphone connected.  You need fully charged batteries on everything, and fast broadband to do it that way, but I've never had a failure to update following that procedure.  The P4, you will recall, I've not updated for a long while. I reckon, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Woohoo!
It works
The last straw was to calibrate the sticks.
100m straight up.  Check out the view from my backyard
https://youtu.be/zAIdU0isrbQ
2020-11-16
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

2020-11-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans785b06f0 Posted at 11-16 20:44
Woohoo!
It works
The last straw was to calibrate the sticks.

There you go!    Congrats on your persistence. No stopping you now.
2020-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules