P 4 Prop Play
646 12 2020-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wood
lvl.1

United States

I recently purchased a used P4P advertised as good shape, around 15hrs flight time. It's shipped and I got a email from owner saying plastic motor hub that prop clips to might need to be tightened. He noticed a little prop slop the day before shipping and didn't have right tool.

Should props be ridgid.... or do they naturally have some play?

Thanks

2020-11-11
Use props
goldenorfephoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3405390 ft
United Kingdom

mine have always had quite alot of play , not increased in 4 years so not a problem
2020-11-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello there wood. Thank you for reaching out regarding the inquiry about the DJI Phantom 4 Pro. Please be advised that it will depend, can you please provide us a video showing the concern for us to have a better visualization? Thank you.
2020-11-13
Use props
wood
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-13 03:10
Hello there wood. Thank you for reaching out regarding the inquiry about the DJI Phantom 4 Pro. Please be advised that it will depend, can you please provide us a video showing the concern for us to have a better visualization? Thank you.

Thanks for responses.

Owner mentioned I may want to pick up some new blades since the one's on it had hit some leaves and he thought there may be some excess slop. Received the drone last night, put new props on and I'd say there's no slop per say.... just a little play but would guess it's natural for a plastic to plastic connection.

About to set it up and see how she does.

2020-11-13
Use props
Manu P4P Paris
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136483 ft
Italy

if you mean once the prop is locked, keeping still the motor and moving the prop, it's normal a little movement...I have it on 2 props but everything is well tight.
2020-11-13
Use props
wood
lvl.1

United States

Think it was a a case of being a little paranoid from buying a used electrical device off e-bay and owner mentioning prop slop after it had shipped.

Everything's tight except some slight play in new prop hubs and so slight I think it's natural. Less than 1/64". Motors and plastic on motors are tight.

Thanks again.
2020-11-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

wood Posted at 11-13 08:50
Thanks for responses.

Owner mentioned I may want to pick up some new blades since the one's on it had hit some leaves and he thought there may be some excess slop. Received the drone last night, put new props on and I'd say there's no slop per say.... just a little play but would guess it's natural for a plastic to plastic connection.

Hi wood, You're welcome and thank you for your reply and additional information. What I can advise is to kindly monitor the performance of the unit and if there's any physical damage on the propellers we indeed need to replace it with a new propeller. Thank you for your support and have a safe and happy flight.
2020-11-14
Use props
wood
lvl.1

United States

I installed new props and have made a couple flights with no issues. Smooth as silk. It's my first drone and frankly I'm amazed with this thing.

I'm in a very rural area so I can walk out the back door and launch. My only issue at the moment is nerves..... wanting to keep it low and close.... scared of catastrophic malfunction lol. I've experienced that with RC plane.  40 hour build, one flight and no recovery, lol. Older and wiser.... or at least older.

Did second flight this morning, took it up to 400ft. and further away than yesterday but still haven't pushed it, and won't for a while.

About to check out my first video.

Thanks,
Mark

2020-11-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

wood Posted at 11-14 09:04
I installed new props and have made a couple flights with no issues. Smooth as silk. It's my first drone and frankly I'm amazed with this thing.

I'm in a very rural area so I can walk out the back door and launch. My only issue at the moment is nerves..... wanting to keep it low and close.... scared of catastrophic malfunction lol. I've experienced that with RC plane.  40 hour build, one flight and no recovery, lol. Older and wiser.... or at least older.

Hi wood. Thank you for the update and I'm happy to know that there are no issues on your DJI Phantom 4 Pro. I'm looking forward for you to capture awesome shots with it. Thank you for the support and stay safe always.
2020-11-16
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

If you are new to drones, read and make a check list for safety. Things can be forgotten. Make sure you never take off over metal. It will go crazy and fly off. It will show compass needs calibration if over metal. Make sure it's in GPS mode before take off and it gets a position lock. Make sure all your Return To Home features are set, incase something should go wrong. I think you have to be more then 60 feet away before it works. When everything is set on the drone, you are set to have fun.  Take it slow and don't get confident too fast. Know your drone's controls and what to do if something doesn't go as you predicted. That is a big mistake people make. Most drone crashes are the operator's fault. Only trying to help. Happy flying.
2020-11-16
Use props
wood
lvl.1

United States

I appreciate it Goldenseal. The metal pointer probably saved me some grief. Guessing non-ferrous is ok? May want to take it fishing one of these day and have an aluminum boat.

I'm finding out how dependable the performance is and that's comforting.

I doubt I've got 2 hours flight time in and controls aren't anywhere close to intuitive but I'll get there.  

Something I've wondered.... If you do an emergency motor kill..... is it possible to restart?

Thanks
2020-11-16
Use props
Manu P4P Paris
lvl.4
Italy

wood Posted at 11-14 09:04

I'm in a very rural area so I can walk out the back door and launch. My only issue at the moment is nerves..... wanting to keep it low and close.... scared of catastrophic malfunction lol. I've experienced that with RC plane.  40 hour build, one flight and no recovery, lol. Older and wiser.... or at least older.

the fear of a crash or malfunction is always present..trust me! wether the drone is new or not..it's just an electronic device and also in the air!
I fly a lot for work, but even if for pleasure, I always try to reach the closest position of the location so to avoid, or at least decrease, the possibility of any unlock situation!
2020-11-17
Use props
Manu P4P Paris
lvl.4
Italy

about the prop play, it's normal..it's plastic so mount/unmount, motor rotation.... since the low prop cost, and based on how many hours of fly per year, change a set of props it's not a bad idea..
if the drone is used, it could be the better idea! if there is play even with new props, maybe the hooks on the motor are a bit used, tents of mm but  if it became more noticeable, it is better to change the hooks.
2020-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules