Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Issue with DNG file on Pano mode on DJI MINI 2
123Next >
13227 112 2020-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
goldenorfephoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3405390 ft
United Kingdom

I have spent this afternoon editing pano dngs from a friends mini2   in multiple programs , dng and jpgs

#1   it is not a wb problem ,   the colour band runs right down  the exact  centre of the frame in all the panorama frames, almost like each half of the frame has two  slightly different colour spaces ,  if it was wb it would affect the entire frame .

it is also only evident on the dng panorama files , not the jpgs.  so it is not a sensor or lens fault

#2  it is visible in windows viewer , microsoft ice , lightroom and photoshop , most visible in the sky.       the colour band is visible in all stitched images whichever program is used as it is in the centre of each individual frame ,  but most visible in lightroom and photoshop as they are not as good at blending as other standalone programes,  microsoft ICE, panorama studio 3 pro for example which blend the difference in colour better.

#3   i have also noticed the 9 frame panoramas that i have tried are virtually unable to be stitched correctly in any program i have tried so far without some errors, especially in the backgrounds.
there seems to be quite a lot of lens barrel distortion that lightroom especially is unable to sufficiently correct (unlike my p4p dng files ) giving a curved horizon , perspective projection giving the best result but severely distorting the sides in an attempt to keep horizon as straight as possible.    microfoft ice seems to have enough different projection options to get a fairly good image distortion wise, even though the colour band is visible in the sky in each of the 3 frames .

So it would seem to be a metadata encoding problem of the dng files when shot or stored in panorama modes .       the lens correction profile that is also in the metadata which lightroom/photoshop reads from each file is also not correct to straighten the distortion .

over to you DJI         
2020-11-15
Use props
Pirate008
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448281 ft
United Kingdom

goldenorfephoto Posted at 11-15 13:26
I have spent this afternoon editing pano dngs from a friends mini2   in multiple programs , dng and jpgs

#1   it is not a wb problem ,   the colour band runs right down  the exact  centre of the frame in all the panorama frames, almost like each half of the frame has two  slightly different colour spaces ,  if it was wb it would affect the entire frame .

spot on, all makes sense
2020-11-15
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The OP issue seems to be strictly related to DJI Mini 2 drone and - I assume - will be corrected within next FW update. Still, the discrepancies visible in DNG panoramic sequences shot by Mavic 2 Pro - as described in posts #31 and 32 - remains a mystery ...
2020-11-15
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1376841 ft
United States

A quick clarification on point #3. You said 9 frame panorama. The 180 panorama from the Mini 2 is 7 frames. Are you shooting manually or from the automated menu choice?
2020-11-15
Use props
Pirate008
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448281 ft
United Kingdom

InsaneDiego Posted at 11-15 18:47
A quick clarification on point #3. You said 9 frame panorama. The 180 panorama from the Mini 2 is 7 frames. Are you shooting manually or from the automated menu choice?

It happens on all the pano styles in pano mode, the 9 frame  is tighter than the 7 (180). The jpegs look to be ok. Mini 2.
2020-11-16
Use props
GoAround
lvl.2
Flight distance : 99649 ft
United Kingdom

Thank you for this. We get slightly different results, although all pointing to the same issue. For me:

LR and PS have the top left 25% OK and the remaining 75% with a strong blue cast, as per the photo that starts off this thread

In W10, I can only see the 960x720 preview. I though it was perfect but, zooming way in, I can see sort of joins that split it into 4. hard to spot initially as no colour casts. ICE can merge but only merging the preview files so it's low quality output. Edit: The inability to see the full resolution file natively in Windows also happens with my Mavic Pro DNGs: I can only view/stitch the 960x720 preview. I have the Raw Image Extension in W10 and my Canon and Sony ARW files open full resolution in the native photo viewer.

Raw Therapee opens the pano DNGs perfectly - I can see no flaw with them. I am not familiar with the program and have not been able to output full size TIFFs to stitch in ICE/PS.

I know that the drone produces quarter size JPEGs for panos. To do this is processes the DNGs. I think that, whilst doing this, something about the 25% resolution change gets baked into the DNG file's metadata so a lot of software sees strange stuff in one quarter of the image.
2020-11-16
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
United States

Pirate008 Posted at 11-16 01:08
It happens on all the pano styles in pano mode, the 9 frame  is tighter than the 7 (180). The jpegs look to be ok. Mini 2.

Thanks, you must be referring to one of the other panos other than Sphere or 180. I'll have to give it a try and see how PTGui handles it. I found on the Air 2 that I really found little use for the Wide Angle and Vertical so I rarely use them. That's why I assumed it was the 180 that was being referred to.
2020-11-16
Use props
GoAround
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I went out yesterday and took 2 test panos.

1) I manually yawed the drone and pitched the camera, taking the 9 shots in single shot mode. Took 60 seconds to get the shots. Stitched in Photoshop and the result is perfect
2) I put the drone in Wide Angle pano mode and let it take 9 shots of the same area. Took just 18 seconds. Every photo has the same issue as before so end result is useless. Here is a screenshot of one of those 9 photos in Lightroom
So, the ONLY difference between the two types of DNG I shot was one is in the 100MEDIA folder and one is in the PANORAMA folder. The ones in the PANORAMA folder have been processed to make the quarter size (2000x1500) JPEG files which are used for the Fly app to make low resolution panos in the phone. Something about processing these quarter size JPEGs must have left some form of processing data in the DNG, which Adobe Camera Raw picks up on.

I have been on the fence whether to blame Adobe or DJI but, it must be DJI. Adobe's software reads every other image I have perfectly, apart from Mini 2 DNGs in the PANORAMA folders.
f5cbc899-ca07-4ade-9fd7-f2ade2277690.jpg
2020-11-18
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
United States

GoAround Posted at 11-18 02:57
I went out yesterday and took 2 test panos.

1) I manually yawed the drone and pitched the camera, taking the 9 shots in single shot mode. Took 60 seconds to get the shots. Stitched in Photoshop and the result is perfect

That sounds like a great test! You're between a rock and hard place. It's clear that DJI is doing something extra to the DNG file but it's also clear that Adobe is using that information and lots of other manufacturers aren't.  It's a shame because both (Mini 2 and PS/LR) are very popular so there will be a good number of people affected. I'd say you're on the losing end of this one though. The number of people that are going to manually stitch the pano is low.

You've done due diligence, identified the issue. Unless it is something very simple to adjust, I don't see DJI doing anything about it. It's unfortunately, time to determine if this is a deal-breaker for you.
2020-11-18
Use props
alexprj
New

Lebanon

Good afternoon, i`m very interested in Mavic mini 2, but notice that have some problems regarding sphere mode(360 panorama). But first, anyone can say what is the automatic spherical 360 photo resolution? Saw in other forum is 4mb, can someone confirm?
And with original 26 photos in JPG (2000 x 1500), stitching with a program, how much will be the final resolution?
I`m asking this because if the stitched image as more than 32mp is just fine by me for now, i will buy as it is and wait for DJI release a firmware update for the DNG issues in a near future.

Best regards and thanks for any reply
2020-11-18
Use props
GoAround
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I forgot to use reply button but this is a reply to InsaneDiego, 2 posts up

Don't say that because it's exactly what I'm thinking but don't want to think

I strongly believe, as with my Mavic Pro, their DNGs should work fine with Adobe's stuff.

I have a tech support email chain going. So far, it's just me providing info. If I have a promise it will be fixed in firmware, even if it will take months, I'm fine with that. If they say it will never be fixed or close the case, I'm thinking hard about returning it. It's so cute, it's sort of hard to do that but, at the moment, it's not fit for (my) purpose even if it is for most peoples.
2020-11-18
Use props
Hoverfly
lvl.1
Flight distance : 233550 ft
Germany

I also have a Mini 2 and can confirm that I get exactly the same results ... top left quarter of the RAW image in Pano mode appears to have a different colour caste to the rest of the photo. Makes stitching the results from Pano modes in RAW a waste of time - JPEGS are OK.

Shooting panoramas in manual using single shot RAW is fine.

It's weird as in all cases the raw files are 23,950 KB and 4000x3000 pixels. Something is corrupting the image in transfer from sensor to card in Panorama modes but not in single shot mode - looks like I'll just have to take my panoramas in single-shot mode like I did with the Mavic Mini ... shame as RAW was one of the reasons I traded up. Hopefully it can be fixed in a firmware update as using the automatic panorama modes with RAW capture is quite handy. Still works fine in single shot mode so I can still create RAW panoramas, so not a deal breaker just disappointing.  

Unfortunately I didn't find this thread and started another ... an example image from my Mini 2 can be found here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=229402
2020-11-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This looks bad indeed.
They had this issue with MA long time ago. Also only in DNG
2020-11-19
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-19 00:36
This looks bad indeed.
They had this issue with MA long time ago. Also only in DNG

Isn't code reuse great?

Well, it is when you start with working code...
2020-11-20
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

alexprj Posted at 11-18 08:55
Good afternoon, i`m very interested in Mavic mini 2, but notice that have some problems regarding sphere mode(360 panorama). But first, anyone can say what is the automatic spherical 360 photo resolution? Saw in other forum is 4mb, can someone confirm?
And with original 26 photos in JPG (2000 x 1500), stitching with a program, how much will be the final resolution?
I`m asking this because if the stitched image as more than 32mp is just fine by me for now, i will buy as it is and wait for DJI release a firmware update for the DNG issues in a near future.

A sphere of my mini 2  (shot in 4:3) jpg+ raw contains:

DNG= 960x 720 about 22 mb each photo
JPG= 2000x1500 about 1.46 mb each photo

JPG stitch with kolor autopano giga = 2392x 2543 about 6,45 mb , no color correction, some cropping
DNG stitch with kolor auto pano = 4952x5063 about 31 mb, no color correction, some cropping
result JPG sun is clear and not overexposed.when let airmagic program do the color correcting result is beautifull
DNG sphere sun is overexposed, when let airmagic program do the color correcting result is less beautifull
2020-11-20_19-26-47.jpg
2020-11-20
Use props
Canada Goose
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80499 ft
Canada

Well  it's a common Mini 2 issue so I'm hoping DJI is monitoring this thread and will come out with a fix for it as it's very annoying
2020-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Peter Galbavy Posted at 11-20 09:35
Isn't code reuse great?

Well, it is when you start with working code...

Exactly.
Just had my share of it.
But I ended up re writing it all.
Much better in the long run.
And in one year I probably will do it again, as new requirements force it to do stuff it was not designed for
2020-11-20
Use props
Andreas M.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7831 ft
Germany

I have the same problem. When i shoot single Photos in RAW DNG files. The files are look good. No Problems to see.

But when i shoot 360 panorama and save them pictures as JPEG and DNG files the JPEG files look good. But the DNG files have the same problem. One quarter of the picture (on the top the left sight) have a color issue.

I hope DJI can fix this ERROR with the next firmware update

2020-11-21
Use props
djiuser_267jcyL97zif
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15738737 ft
Bulgaria

The resolution of Sphere mode is ridiculously low to the point it is unusable. And the DNGs are broken. Also the metadata in the file are not correct, so facebook for example does not detect this as panorama, as it does with the Spheres made with Mavic Air 2.
If the drone itself does not have enough computing power to produce something better, give us the full resolution DNG/JPGs (without the idiotic magenta artifact) from the series so we can stitch them ourselves.

I just sold my Mavic Air 2, because of the 250g limit and bought the mini 2, but it looks just like the mini with more marketing than real improvements.

First impressions compared to the original mini: Better signal, probably because of the remote control itself. Very similar speed, same camera, same noise with slightly less flight time. The 4K, panorama and Raw files are joke.
2020-11-21
Use props
Zigeiner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 426073 ft
Germany

Same problem here:

2020-11-21
Use props
djiuser_8yVAuCCUo31D
lvl.1
Germany

Same here....
Problem is described perfectly. Only happens in Pano Mode. Quarter left Top has a color cast. I hope there is a fix to remove the color cast from the affected DNGs as I would like to keep the pictures I have already taken.
Clearly visible in a Lightroom / Photoshop stitched Pano as well:

2020-11-21
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

my DNG dn't have that, could it be that I shoot in 4:3?
2020-11-21
Use props
djiuser_8yVAuCCUo31D
lvl.1
Germany

dji_MODDER Posted at 11-21 09:38
my DNG dn't have that, could it be that I shoot in 4:3?
[view_image]

Hi, I don’t think this is the reason. I did also take my pictures in 4:3 to get the maximum resolution, still habe this Color cast in the Upper corner.
Is your DNG from a panorama? Because Single shot DNGs are not affected.
2020-11-21
Use props
Zigeiner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 426073 ft
Germany

Post deleted.
2020-11-21
Use props
goldenorfephoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3405390 ft
United Kingdom

I have noticed a post on the  dji facebook group that a moderator has mentioned that this issue  is being investigated and will be fixed in a firmware update .
2020-11-21
Use props
看起来不错
lvl.1
Flight distance : 275456 ft
Hong Kong

DJI customer service says it will be fixed next firmware
bbs.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=257031

2020-11-21
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

djiuser_8yVAuCCUo31D Posted at 11-21 09:50
Hi, I don’t think this is the reason. I did also take my pictures in 4:3 to get the maximum resolution, still habe this Color cast in the Upper corner.
Is your DNG from a panorama? Because Single shot DNGs are not affected.

Yes, the photo is one of them of a sphere panorama, I take the original photo's off my sdcard.
2020-11-22
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

Zigeiner Posted at 11-21 10:02
Even worse: Did you notice that there is also a difference in distortion between the JPG and DNG version of the very same image? How can that be?
Also, the DNG version is significantly less crisp, almost blurry compared to the JPG.

Shooting DNG= 12MP for a photo
JPG= 3MP for a photo.

For best results we have to used the DNG for the panorama's
2020-11-22
Use props
GoAround
lvl.2
United Kingdom

看起来不错 Posted at 11-21 22:45
DJI customer service says it will be fixed next firmware
bbs.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=257031

This is great news. I am still waiting to hear more from DJI. I am now very hopeful of a fix!
2020-11-22
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

Also I locked AE (in auto) before shooting pano, could that be the reason? What dji also must fix is the ability of locking the AE in manual mode.
I don't use photoshop and don't use the xml files. (I delete them).
I will shoot today a new one and share the files.
2020-11-22
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

shared files, take a look and see my DNG's are good
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... Eh/view?usp=sharing  = sphere 26 dng+jpg
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... vA/view?usp=sharing  = stich of 9 dng wide pano

2020-11-23
Use props
Pixexid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15489 ft
United States

dji_MODDER Posted at 11-23 08:55
shared files, take a look and see my DNG's are good
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... Eh/view?usp=sharing  = sphere 26 dng+jpg
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f8wDSeuAxZl6NXufnKN_VqB4oIzepqvA/view?usp=sharing  = stich of 9 dng wide pano

2020-11-23
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

Is that DNG 8?
2020-11-23
Use props
Pixexid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15489 ft
United States

It's your DNG with less issue but have something there.
2020-11-23
Use props
dji_MODDER
Second Officer
Netherlands

I see it only in adobe? thanks for your feedback
2020-11-23
Use props
GoAround
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Great news in my email just now from DJI:

Thanks for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We're so sorry about the inconvenience caused. The phenomenon you described is caused by the abnormal DNG calibration parameters in the current product firmware, our engineers have located the cause and are working to optimize the situation, which will be resolved in the subsequent new version of the firmware.

I am happy again now! I don't mind waiting but I really wanted some reassurance that it would be fixed. There are some panoramas (eg HDR) that are much easier taken using the quicker auto modes, rather than manually yawing the drone and tilting the camera between shots.

2020-11-25
Use props
djiuser_8yVAuCCUo31D
lvl.1
Germany

GoAround Posted at 11-25 05:25
Great news in my email just now from DJI:

Thanks for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Do you see any chance to „rescue“ already taken images which have this color cast present in the dng? The new firmware probably will only affect newly taken pictures, right?
2020-11-26
Use props
MomentThinker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 962913 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Yikes, have you try playing with manual exposure setting?
2020-11-27
Use props
GoAround
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_8yVAuCCUo31D Posted at 11-26 14:18
Do you see any chance to „rescue“ already taken images which have this color cast present in the dng? The new firmware probably will only affect newly taken pictures, right?

I'm sure some photoshop gurus could do it by masking off one of the areas and altering it to match but. I had a quick go and gave up!!
2020-11-28
Use props
fans7925353b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 865837 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

2020-11-29
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules