Mini 2 - Gimbal unstable?
4448 18 2020-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_s5zpg6g0B1Vf
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

Hi Dji Support, Hi DJi users,

Great drone, but I realised in multiples videos, when the drone is in sport mode, the gimbal starts to act weird and move suddenly to the side or move down. It has been the case on many tests available on youtube, even with no wind.

This is a true issue which needs to be escalated. Please DJI are you planning to fix that issue?? If all users can share their feedbacks on that issue please too.
Hardware or software issue?
2020-11-13
Use props
ARTPiranha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1115725 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Sport mode is mostly not for shooting video
2020-11-13
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Depending on what you're seeing switching to Sport mode causes the drone to pitch up to 30%, so the initial change is probably to sudden to be smooth. Once it is running at a constant speed do you still have a problem? Compare it to being in a car, if someone else were driving and you were trying to drink something while they accelerated quickly you would be wearing it, yet going 60 MPH down the highway there is no problem drinking.
2020-11-13
Use props
djiuser_s5zpg6g0B1Vf
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

videoeditman Posted at 11-13 06:02
Depending on what you're seeing switching to Sport mode causes the drone to pitch up to 30%, so the initial change is probably to sudden to be smooth. Once it is running at a constant speed do you still have a problem? Compare it to being in a car, if someone else were driving and you were trying to drink something while they accelerated quickly you would be wearing it, yet going 60 MPH down the highway there is no problem drinking.

Its actually happening at a constant speed. While the drone is up and flying, the Gimbal can go down suddenly, it goes back to his initial position alone of course after few seconds. But if you shoot a sport video, then it could be disappointing and disturbing.
Have a try guys, would be interesting to know if its happening with you too.

Its mainly happening when the drone is at full speed, or facing wind, or when the drone change direction suddendly at full speed.

I had the Mavic mini 1, and it never happened.
2020-11-13
Use props
djiuser_s5zpg6g0B1Vf
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

ARTPiranha Posted at 11-13 06:00
Sport mode is mostly not for shooting video

Hey,
Shooting with sport mode should be useful when filming something moving, cars, boats, football, any activities, or more.
If its available its for a reason.
I hope DJI will find a fix
2020-11-13
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

First at that speed the wind might be affecting the gimball, second when changing direction at that speed I would expect some jerkiness, unless I did a slow transition.
2020-11-13
Use props
Bluemanta69
lvl.1
Flight distance : 987392 ft
France

I received my Mini 2 today and encountered exactly the same problem. I found it very disappointing as I never had that problem with the Mini 1. I know Mini 2 has more powerful motors and it could part of the explanation but I admit that seeing you can’t get a steady footage when going at full speed (and with constant speed) is not something I was expecting when I purchased it...
Any fix / improvement on that would be more than welcome!
2020-11-13
Use props
fans427539f9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 148 ft
Australia

Bluemanta69 Posted at 11-13 17:11
I received my Mini 2 today and encountered exactly the same problem. I found it very disappointing as I never had that problem with the Mini 1. I know Mini 2 has more powerful motors and it could part of the explanation but I admit that seeing you can’t get a steady footage when going at full speed (and with constant speed) is not something I was expecting when I purchased it...
Any fix / improvement on that would be more than welcome!

Mini 2 has more powerfull motors so it goes faster and it can also handle stronger wind. Unfortunately gimbal and camwera are exactly the same as in Mini 1 so in many cases camera will be just rotated by the fast air movement (fast Mini speed + wind or just only strong wind).
2020-11-13
Use props
djiuser_s5zpg6g0B1Vf
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

fans427539f9 Posted at 11-13 17:29
Mini 2 has more powerfull motors so it goes faster and it can also handle stronger wind. Unfortunately gimbal and camwera are exactly the same as in Mini 1 so in many cases camera will be just rotated by the fast air movement (fast Mini speed + wind or just only strong wind).
The motor is more powerfull, but not by a lot. The difference is little, it shouldn't be a reason to justify this issue, right?
When we acquire a drone of this quality and reputation, doesn't matter the price, we all expect a steady image in any modes (unless super strong wind). But in this case the problem doesn't come from the wind, its from the Gimbal

I'm sharing footage screenshots (just to get a kind of idea), the screenshots might not help. Better checking videos
Screen_Recording_20201114-110804_YouTube_1_1.gif
Screenshot_20201114-112022_Video Player.jpg
2020-11-13
Use props
ARTPiranha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1115725 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Its not a problem of powerfull motors, mini2 has 45 tilt angle in sport mode for fast flying, but gimball can only move at 30 Or 35 degrees range, so it physically can’t Compensate drone angle at maximum speed. So if you want to shoot at sport mode just don’t fly mni at maximum stick deflections
2020-11-13
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm actually editing a quick video which will be uploaded to my channel later today on this.  I explain why it happens and how to avoid it.  Strong wind and Sports Mode with the gimbal pointing up high is the reason; the pitch of the drone is too steep to allow the gimbal to keep on pointing up high to the horizon.

Cheers

Ian
2020-11-13
Use props
djiuser_s5zpg6g0B1Vf
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

Ian in London Posted at 11-13 23:51
I'm actually editing a quick video which will be uploaded to my channel later today on this.  I explain why it happens and how to avoid it.  Strong wind and Sports Mode with the gimbal pointing up high is the reason; the pitch of the drone is too steep to allow the gimbal to keep on pointing up high to the horizon.

Cheers

Hello Ian, yes please, looking forward to watch it.

Im still wondering how DJI engineers haven't look at this? Many would like an answer from DJI admin or support on that.
So far this issue happened only using sport mode, I hope it would not happen using the other mode.

I just shared 2 other screenshots. Please look at the Horizon to really spot how frustrating this issue could be (the gimbal completely lose his steadiness)
Screenshot_20201114-120202_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20201114-120123_Video Player.jpg
2020-11-14
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_s5zpg6g0B1Vf Posted at 11-14 00:10
Hello Ian, yes please, looking forward to watch it.

Im still wondering how DJI engineers haven't look at this? Many would like an answer from DJI admin or support on that.

No doubt it's frustrating; I give some advice on how to avoid it in this thread:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=229060
2020-11-14
Use props
djiuser_s5zpg6g0B1Vf
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

Ian in London Posted at 11-14 05:47
No doubt it's frustrating; I give some advice on how to avoid it in this thread:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=229060
All right thanks a lot Ian, the video you made is fantastic. You a real pro.
Thanks again Ian, appreciated your time here.

On a different note. I would have liked DJI support to answer at least to show they care about our users issues.

But anyway thanks you earn a follower to your channel
2020-11-14
Use props
djiuser_s5zpg6g0B1Vf
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

ARTPiranha Posted at 11-13 23:42
Its not a problem of powerfull motors, mini2 has 45 tilt angle in sport mode for fast flying, but gimball can only move at 30 Or 35 degrees range, so it physically can’t Compensate drone angle at maximum speed. So if you want to shoot at sport mode just don’t fly mni at maximum stick deflections

Good point. Thanks Piranha for helping
2020-11-14
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_s5zpg6g0B1Vf Posted at 11-14 06:51
All right thanks a lot Ian, the video you made is fantastic. You a real pro.
Thanks again Ian, appreciated your time here.

Cheers!
2020-11-14
Use props
Bluemanta69
lvl.1
Flight distance : 987392 ft
France

Thanks Ian for your video, that make sense indeed! I guess they will improve the gimbal to correct that problem with the Mini 3 ;)
2020-11-14
Use props
djiuser_UWaIfi78uDhS
lvl.1
Netherlands

I had the same issue twice with the phantom.  First time I thought a bird crashed to the drone, so took the  drone down, no bird to see on the footage. I’ve the mini , 2 weeks no issues until now ☺️ . That angle pitch and speed sounds reasonable. Even with the gimbal “issue” I love the mini ☺️
2020-12-11
Use props
djiuser_ZpaEOxTaBWbc
New

France

Hi, i have my fresh New mini 2 and i dont understand when i fly error 40004 pop up with message EXCESSIVE GIMBAL VIBRATION, gimbal going crazy but the drone stay still...???
2022-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules