Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Throttle races away (FPV)
4878 13 2020-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
In 12 Parsecs
lvl.2
Canada

So I have a Quad with the Air Unit and I finally have all the bits and peices - Goggles, quad, radio and I updated firmware on all three, connected them to the air unit etc. I plug in the batteries, arm the drone, the motors start spinning. I add a little throttle decrease the throttle and it works as expected....UNTIL I add a little more throttle then it goes full throttle and I can't lower the throttle. Well, I can physically lower the gimbal, but it just stays at full throttle. Any ideas?

See video (turn up volume)https://youtu.be/fn6nNnHJTAQ
2020-11-13
Use props
Cesium356
lvl.2

United States

Check your controller settings in betaflight or if you have a friend bind to theirs to see if it repeats on the drone or in the controller.
2020-11-14
Use props
In 12 Parsecs
lvl.2
Canada

Cesium356 Posted at 11-14 13:14
Check your controller settings in betaflight or if you have a friend bind to theirs to see if it repeats on the drone or in the controller.

Hey Cesium356
Thanks for the response. I was hoping someone would say: "Oh that's totally normal, don't worry about it!"

I am alone in this little adventure so no one to bind to. Heck, my closest neighbor is at least a km away...so lots of room to play with my drone - if I can get any of it to work! (I first started this about 4 months ago and have yet to even get in the air once. One equipment problem after another.)
Okay, I'll do some research about betaflight now. Thanks.
2020-11-14
Use props
In 12 Parsecs
lvl.2
Canada

So in doing some poking around, a quadcopter with the props off will often ramp up as it tries to react to what would be normal forces...that are obviously non-existant when it sitting on the bench and lacking props. Okay, cool. Unfortunately, all the references I can find don't mention whether or not you should be able to throttle it back down or not.
I tried another experiment to see if the behavior changed if I hold the drone, throttle up then move it around slightly. Yup, the motors spun at different rates to correct for the wild "wind" it was experiencing. I then tilted the thing forward and the motors cut out to a dead stop. So I'm adding that to my list of "HUH!?!?"

Anyone?
2020-11-15
Use props
djiuser_E4MAUpoA2NZi
lvl.1

Norway

In 12 Parsecs Posted at 11-15 15:30
So in doing some poking around, a quadcopter with the props off will often ramp up as it tries to react to what would be normal forces...that are obviously non-existant when it sitting on the bench and lacking props. Okay, cool. Unfortunately, all the references I can find don't mention whether or not you should be able to throttle it back down or not.
I tried another experiment to see if the behavior changed if I hold the drone, throttle up then move it around slightly. Yup, the motors spun at different rates to correct for the wild "wind" it was experiencing. I then tilted the thing forward and the motors cut out to a dead stop. So I'm adding that to my list of "HUH!?!?"

Did you figure it out? I have the same problem
2020-11-17
Use props
In 12 Parsecs
lvl.2
Canada

djiuser_E4MAUpoA2NZi Posted at 11-17 06:32
Did you figure it out? I have the same problem

You just made me happy! Happy that I am not alone.
No, I haven't figured it out 100% yet. I did talk with some knowledgeable people and they say you can get all kinds of strange things happening when the props are off. I'd love to just put the props on and see how it goes, but it is now winter and I'm positive I'd short out the boards in the snow.

Sorry, you are having "problems" as well. I have to be honest, I don't know if it is a problem yet. I am so ignorant of all this that I don't know what's what.
Try this link to Bardwell talking about it, it kinda explains the problem I'm having, but not totally.

2020-11-17
Use props
djiuser_E4MAUpoA2NZi
lvl.1

Norway

In 12 Parsecs Posted at 11-17 06:48
You just made me happy! Happy that I am not alone.
No, I haven't figured it out 100% yet. I did talk with some knowledgeable people and they say you can get all kinds of strange things happening when the props are off. I'd love to just put the props on and see how it goes, but it is now winter and I'm positive I'd short out the boards in the snow.

This is the solution I guess.  What he say in that video. The reason your motors spin up to full is because there are no propellers on them. The gyro on the FC spins everything up and when it’s not given any response (due to the lack of propellers) it just set throttle to max. I’m gonna test this tomorrow-ish. Where are you located btw if the snow is already there?
2020-11-17
Use props
In 12 Parsecs
lvl.2
Canada

Sorry, missed this response...too busy flying! I am in Northern Canada where it is pretty much snowing 8 months a year.
2021-7-24
Use props
Cesium356
lvl.2

United States

I've been thinking of building a drone tether for my workbench. So I can try real settings, props-on, but I won't go high enough to hurt anything when I come down hard or sideways.
I'm thinking a D-ring on a piece of weighty disposable nylon rope--it might be likely the props get it on an uncontrolled descent. Maybe this would be safer on the floor with a big red circle marking the drone range on the tether.
2021-10-16
Use props
BramSchats
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2025817 ft
Netherlands

Same problem here, does putting the props on solves the issue?
2022-6-23
Use props
In 12 Parsecs
lvl.2
Canada

It sure did for me. Can't say it's what you are experiencing, but once I put the props on and went outside, stood a good way away from it and fired it up...worked as expected. Good luck!
2022-6-23
Use props
BramSchats
lvl.3
Netherlands

With the props on I can hover with minimal throttle. I pushed the drone down and throttle-up. same thing happens, it keeps races away.

Don't know what to do? don't want to shut down mid-air and don't want to take risks?

2022-6-23
Use props
In 12 Parsecs
lvl.2
Canada

so, you can't throttle down when you want to? Basically you lose control of the throttle? Have you had it flying normal before? I know that when I first went from my Air2s or whatever it's called to my iflight quad...the power was overwhelming! It really took my breath away! The controller sticks were WAY more sensitive than the Air2.  Have you flown on a simulator? I know when I was on the simulator I thought for sure the remote or the program had to be broken as I couldn't do anything but crash immediately! hahaha
2022-6-23
Use props
BramSchats
lvl.3
Netherlands

Watching the vid from JB I am going to take the risk tomorrow! Guess it will be just fine. Used to fly the dji fpv in manual mode so I know what to do
2022-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules