Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What 8" android
1518 30 2015-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

Got the Ipad mini v.1
so that is not supported by the DJI Pilot app

So plaes advice what 8" Android tab is the nicest to use.

I use my Galaxy Phone for now - But I would rather have a device just for the FPV

thx
2015-6-27
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

None.  Right now the current firmware & app is not working on Android.  Too many issues to list right now for Android users...
2015-6-27
Use props
lvl.4
Denmark

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2015-6-27
Use props
PhantomAtAK
lvl.3

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-6-28 05:12
None.  Right now the current firmware & app is not working on Android.  Too many issues to list righ ...

That pretty much sums it up.

I use a Google Nexus 9 (it is on the list of recommended). Lollipop 5.1.1.  The video lag is bad.  Makes is so much less fun to fly.  Not impossible, just less fun, edgy.  Once the pilot app is tweaked I would expect anything on the "recommended" list will be fine, assuming you don't load it with bloatware and other apps.  It is tough to buy a $400 tablet and not want to use it around the house, watch a movie on the plane with it.  

I think if I had to do it over, I would have gone with IOS for flying.  I am not opposed to Apple, I just don't own any of their items, and didn't want to get into a second platform.  I think they make a nice product.  My two cents, because you asked

Adios
2015-6-27
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.4

United States

I can recommend what I have, but cannot offer comparisons: the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4" works very well for me. It is quad core 2.3 GHz and 2GB RAM + 16 GB memory capacity + plus GPS and microSD slot. No lag or weirdness so far, BUT I have video tranmission set at lowest possibble bits per second (still sharp and clear though) AND I have it switched to Custom channel on WiFi (around here, channel 20 seems always empty and available and stable). That's right, I'm using last Pilot App before new, disabled-wifi choice version (how come they did that? - must be some good reason).

That said, Why did I get it? Because it is way on sale right now!
2015-6-27
Use props
DaGunn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 203117 ft
United States

Picked up a used Nvidia Shield off Amazon.  This tablet was designed for incredible graphic rendering speeds - i.e. Gaming system.  No video lag with Pilot app.  Built-in screen recording app optimized for the hardware allowing capture of Pilot app screen during flight.  HDMI output.  

2015-6-27
Use props
Rigworker
First Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

None.  Right now the current firmware & app is not working on Android.  Too many issues to list righ ...

Says who? I am using a tab 4 and the latest firmware. The bird flies great. I dont even have the VPS issues others are talking about.  I have used both the auto take off as well as the auto landing with no issues. I kill all unused app on the tab and the video lag is no more than when I use my wifes ipad air. The only issues i see are the altitude and distance readings on the pilot app are not accurate but it doesnt really matter as i am always LOS when flying.
2015-6-27
Use props
Rigworker
First Officer
Canada

I am using a tab4. Works pretty good for me. Kill all non necessary apps or you may have some excessive video lag. I can see no difference in the lag using the tab4 compared to my wifes new iPad air
2015-6-27
Use props
giant
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

This statement is based on BS. Flying my P3P with a cheap LG Gpad 7" without any issues.
2015-6-28
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

giant Posted at 2015-6-28 18:21
This statement is based on BS. Flying my P3P with a cheap LG Gpad 7" without any issues.

Really?  Have you tried both?  Do you Own Both?  I DO.

All I can say is:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-16777-1-1.html

It has 805 responses...  Mostly from Android users.

Also...

http://forum.dji.com/thread-22946-1-1.html

http://forum.dji.com/thread-22831-1-1.html

http://forum.dji.com/thread-21418-1-1.html

I am not Android bashing.  I own several Android devices including Nvidia Shield 8, Hp, Nexus 7 many more...  Tried them all with the DJI Pilot app & my Phantom 3 Pro.

But as Tahoe_Ed said... It's easier for the software developers to test on iOS becasue the hardware is locked down to only a few specific models and OS versions.  It's easier for them to test.  Also the iOS version has more features. (Like on screen histogram, grid overlay, over exposure warning...)

I have tried both...  I have less video Lag issues on iOS.  Fewer errors.  I am just having much better luck on my iOS devices than the many different Android devices I have tested thus far.
Perhaps in the future when DJI gets the app & firmware bugs fixed it will become less of an issue.  But right now the Android tablets seem to be more prone to CPU overheating than the iOS devices.  (Not saying that Android is more prone to these issues...  Just right now with the current software from DJI the issues seem to be manifesting more in Android.)

2015-6-28
Use props
giant
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-6-29 00:53

All I can say is:  http://forum.dji.com/thr ...

Do I have to try an iPad before I can conclude that my bird is flying perfect with my little Android tablet? I don't think so. I'm sure that there are many people having problems with the app (on iPad and maybe even more on an Android device). There can be many causes for this, for instance running all kind of non related apps while flying.  Your initial statement remains BS.
2015-6-28
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

I am glad that you are having good luck with your Android device.  I have had a few successful flights using an Nvidia Shiled 8... But I also has serious lag issue on other flights.

I stand behind my initial statement.  There have been more issues with Android.  And DJI employees (Tahoe_Ed) have admitted that they are having a much more difficult time identifying issues on the Android platform due to the wide variety of devices and versions of Android.  So... No  I do not agree that my statement is BS.  Your one anecdotal report of success does not make a majority.  (Except for you.)

But still...  I am glad to hear you are having success.  Happy flying...  I look forward to seeing your videos posted.  ;-)
2015-6-28
Use props
Rigworker
First Officer
Canada

Sure do have both. See previous mesage on the subject. I don't like the ipad air because I find it is a bit too big. Prefer the tab 4. I just installed the app on my S5 phone as well as an older galaxy tab tablet. The app runs fine on both of these. The phone screen is far to small so i never flew very far to check the video lag. Looked OK while close. The video lag with the older tablet is bad but I expect that be ause of the much slower processor.  The app itself had no glitches that I noted except for the altitude and distance measurements as I mentioned previously.
2015-6-28
Use props
jimcloud74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Ihave both 8.4 and 10.1 galaxy tabs. No heat, no lag. I am thinking that maybe people have the video cache turned on or something. Or maybe it's because they are on lollipop. I am not sure of the actual number but they are both in the 4's.
2015-6-28
Use props
arives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 247769 ft
  • >>>
United States

What a crock. My Samsung Tab 4 works perfect.
2015-6-28
Use props
Rigworker
First Officer
Canada

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-6-29 08:57
What a crock. My Samsung Tab 4 works perfect.

Exactly. I use a tab 4 as well. Decent size. The video lag is minor if you kill all unneeded apps. I only use the tab for flying so i have deleted everything I could and shut down the rest.
2015-6-28
Use props
dirk.liesenfeld
lvl.2

Germany

I have just ordered the Galaxy Tab S 8.4
It seems to have the brightest display, a good size, a fast processor and 3GB RAM sound great, too.
Did anybody test the above model in bright sunlight?
2015-6-28
Use props
lvl.4
Denmark

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-6-29 04:23
Ihave both 8.4 and 10.1 galaxy tabs. No heat, no lag. I am thinking that maybe people have the video ...

can the Tab4 10.1 fit in the controller holder ?
thx.
2015-6-29
Use props
Michael M
First Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Actually I find it much easier and user friendly to test my apps on Android...
IOS is icky, costs too much and has too many rules
2015-6-29
Use props
Boogieman
First Officer
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

Using Nvidia shield on my P3 and Inspire.  Little laggy but not unbearable.
2015-6-29
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Flight distance : 296378 ft
Poland

I am using P3P with Lenovo Tab S8-50 LTE. Cheap Atom quad core tablet with 2 GB RAM and 1080p screen, and it works fine, even without google play downgrade i have only a litte stuttering sometimes, but hard to feel it, after downgrading google services everything is always perfectly fluent.
DJI working on problem with FPV lag, so i think it is good choice. I can fully use my P3P now.
Tablet is nice in touch, working good, i am happy from purchase.
2015-6-29
Use props
leon
lvl.2

United States

dirk.liesenfeld Posted at 2015-6-29 14:52
I have just ordered the Galaxy Tab S 8.4
It seems to have the brightest display, a good size, a fast ...

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab-S 8.4 Running 5.1.0 Lollipop, 1.2.0 Pilot App, with the Firmware of 1.2.6
I'm flying a P3P. You have to Uninstall Google Play Services Updates, Not the whole App, or you won't get any maps. You also have to turn on the Airplane mode. and turn OFF Auto Updates. Since I have done this the last 6 flights, have No Lag, Heat or Pilot App Crashes. Google will keep requesting to update, but I just refuse, I don't care as my Tab-S is just used for flying.
2015-6-29
Use props
vicnshar
lvl.1

United States

I am trying to use an Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7" screen, Android Version 4.2.2, Model #GT-P3113  to operate my Phantom 3 but it has serious hang-up and crash issues especially when I video record.   I have tried all of the suggested ideas, like disabling the Google Services Updates and operating on Airplane Mode.  Has anyone had any luck with this device?   I have had no issues when using my Samsung Galaxy 5 mini to operate the camera, but one of the reasons I purchased the Phantom 3 was to be able to attach a larger tablet to the controller.   A side note is that this Android device works perfectly well when flying my Phantom 2 vision plus using the DJI Vision app albeit difficult to hold.  
2015-6-29
Use props
vicnshar
lvl.1

United States

020667@gmail.co Posted at 2015-6-30 01:26
thx.

It looks like it might, but it would have to be forced, and I didn't want to take the chance of damaging the holder. (about 1/8" to 1/4" wider than the holder opens)
2015-6-29
Use props
myhondas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12093 ft
United States

I am using the samsung tab 4 8" wifi only with a samsung galaxy s6 in wifi hot spot.  Works great and just big enough to see but not so big that it overpowers the control unit.
2015-6-29
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.4

United States

vicnshar@sonic. Posted at 2015-6-30 06:43
I am trying to use an Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7" screen, Android Version 4.2.2, Model #GT-P3113  to op ...

Yup. Airplane mode a key to success on Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 as well.
2015-6-29
Use props
jimcloud74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

thx.

tight squeeze but yes. Any bigger and you need one of those 3d printed thingy's. I bought one and didn't like it. I Just use my 10.1.
2015-6-29
Use props
arives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 247769 ft
  • >>>
United States

thx.

I am able to get it on the holder, but I had to do two mods: First I had to cut the foam on the holder pads, so the darned thing would fit, horizontally of course. Even at that it is tight, and a little persuasion is needed to get it on. It is very stable once on. Further the slot in the bottom holder, is not wide enough to let the USB plug slip thru and into the tablet. So I enlarged the slot with a round file, and it works neat now. I do not want the tablet off center as some have suggested, it is truly unwieldy then.
I have a shade too, and that is really necessary unless you are doing inside real estate work.
2015-6-29
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Flight distance : 296378 ft
Poland

vicnshar@sonic. Posted at 2015-6-30 06:43
I am trying to use an Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7" screen, Android Version 4.2.2, Model #GT-P3113  to op ...

Unfortunately Galaxy Tab 2 is too slow to do something
2015-6-29
Use props
dirk.liesenfeld
lvl.2

Germany

@ALL: Thnx guys.
Today I will receive my Tab S 8.4 and I will give my feedback later this day. I really hope it works, coz it seems to be the best size and everything :-)
2015-6-29
Use props
dirk.liesenfeld
lvl.2

Germany

Allright - just tested the Phantom 3 with the Tab S 8.4:
No crashes, but picture from the P3 is very choppy! Maybe 5-8 fps max!
Plus - the Tab got pretty hot.
So, since the Tab S is very powerful, it is definately a software related problem. I will still keep the Tab hoping, that DJi will fix this mess SOON ;-)
The Tab is amazing - especially the screen is really bright and easily readable even in brightest sunlight.
2015-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules