Major annoyance: the new on/off button & gimbal position resets.
4764 22 2020-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Soundie
lvl.2
Norway

Hi.

Been using dp2 for a week now.
I must say - that new on/off button is just *so* annoying.
I accidentally press it each time i want to insert or take it out of the case.
Also - when trying to pull off the "bottom" to swap features (wifi etc) it's almost impossible not to start the pocket2 by accidentaly pressing on...

Another thing:
When taking a photo in pro mode with long shutter time, the gimbal resets to default position after each photo taken.
Must be a bug?

S

2020-11-14
Use props
Gollan
lvl.4
Canada

For the power button issue with the case, when you put the Pocket 2 in its case, face the power button down. That way, the power button is protected from unintended presses. This orientation also leaves the microSD card accessible without having to remove Pocket 2 from the case.
2020-11-14
Use props
jmvdigital
lvl.1
United States

Fully agree with you!

I'm also finding that if I'm holding the P2 in an odd position (like down low while riding a bike, for example) it's damn near impossible sometimes to double-click the button to center the gimbal, and instead end up switching to photo mode accidentally and completely missing the shot. Would love to see some button customization capability. Like a single button click to center gimbal, long press or triple click to switch to photos.
2020-11-16
Use props
Coris
lvl.2
Sweden

The power button on Pocket 2  it shows indeed an design issue. This button it was wrongly meant to be at the same level with the rest of the camera body surface.The button should be lowered at least one mm under the camera body surface level, to prevent frequently touches while the camera is handled.
The design issue is too late to be corrected, as this model is already manufactured and sold out there on marked. The only the user can do to fix the DJI lack of engineering in this area, is to add and glue a sort of material around this button (see picture). I can agree that this solution it may not be very esthetical, but it works, and prevent accidental  power on/off when using the camera.
2020-11-16
Use props
Soundie
lvl.2
Norway

Sad to say i returned DP2.

Going back to my Osmo Pocket.

The most positive thing with DP2 was the "joystick" to control the gimbal - that was very practical and i'd buy that for my Osmo Pocket
2020-11-16
Use props
Coris
lvl.2
Sweden

I think Pocket 2 it have some good upgrades over the former Osmo Pocket. But some minuses too... Some it can be corrected by firmware, but some other it may be corrected in Pocket 3... maybe.
2020-11-16
Use props
Soundie
lvl.2
Norway

Maybe a longer delay from pressing on/off until it actually will start would be a doable firmware fix - tho - longer press = longer startup...
Hard choice to make for developers.
Maybe a setting in the config so that the owner could enable/disable the delay.
2020-11-16
Use props
Coris
lvl.2
Sweden

Yes indeed... it may be some other solutions as well... DJI have to only think about it ... In my opinion, the hardware solution (maybe a smaller and lowered power button, into the camera body), it may be the most simple one...
2020-11-16
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Coris Posted at 11-16 11:02
The power button on Pocket 2  it shows indeed an design issue. This button it was wrongly meant to be at the same level with the rest of the camera body surface.The button should be lowered at least one mm under the camera body surface level, to prevent frequently touches while the camera is handled.
The design issue is too late to be corrected, as this model is already manufactured and sold out there on marked. The only the user can do to fix the DJI lack of engineering in this area, is to add and glue a sort of material around this button (see picture). I can agree that this solution it may not be very esthetical, but it works, and prevent accidental  power on/off when using the camera.[view_image]

Coris, I like your solution ! Nice bit of practical thinking.   Maybe a commercial solution could be this shape, die cut rubber profile with self adhesive backing.
2020-11-16
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Soundie Posted at 11-16 11:39
Sad to say i returned DP2.

Going back to my Osmo Pocket.

Did the video quality improvement not win you over, or was the start button issue just too much ?
2020-11-16
Use props
Soundie
lvl.2
Norway

It was much better - but not 400EUR better.
I do love my osmo pocket so... it's a very versatile device.
2020-11-16
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The instructions are quite clear about putting the P2 in the case with the power switch downward.  However,  I didn't need to read the instruction to realise this as it's so obvious.
2020-11-16
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I had a few issues with the power-on button at the outset but after the first couple of accidental power-on episodes, I just remembered not to grab it by that part.  Let's face it, it's just as easy to turn the camera on accidentally via the protruding function button.  Actually, in my experience, turning the camera on with the function button provides a faster start-up.

Whether it's worth buying is a personal thing - but for me, I want to marry it and have its babies.  The sound capabilities and options alone are worth the price - for me.  Never mind the picture, listen to the audio!

2020-11-16
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16279465 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Coris Posted at 11-16 11:02
The power button on Pocket 2  it shows indeed an design issue. This button it was wrongly meant to be at the same level with the rest of the camera body surface.The button should be lowered at least one mm under the camera body surface level, to prevent frequently touches while the camera is handled.
The design issue is too late to be corrected, as this model is already manufactured and sold out there on marked. The only the user can do to fix the DJI lack of engineering in this area, is to add and glue a sort of material around this button (see picture). I can agree that this solution it may not be very esthetical, but it works, and prevent accidental  power on/off when using the camera.[view_image]

Wait till you have to use gloves whilst operating the Pocket 2. Then you’ll wish the button is more pronounced and tactile. That’s my experience with my DSLRs in cold weather
2020-11-16
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I would like that "power" button is gimbal lock and to change between saved settings.

"Function" button is better for power button. Maybe 3 seconds close time to avoid when mispressed.

I believe this could be easy to code but DJI monkeys are busy with propelless drones to come 2050.

Suggestion anyways.
2020-11-16
Use props
Soundie
lvl.2
Norway

John Walker Posted at 11-16 16:03
The instructions are quite clear about putting the P2 in the case with the power switch downward.  However,  I didn't need to read the instruction to realise this as it's so obvious.

Well... To a lot of people and reviewers (reviewers are people too - i know hehe) the most logical, since it goes to that position when powering down, storing it with the "lens" pointing into the case seems most logical.
Look at these grabs:
Apple Insider review:

Grab from Cnet review:

To me it "feels" wrong to store the device with the lens-part pointing upwards in the case...
2020-11-16
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I keep always controller wheel installed. It makes me automatically put Pocket 2 to the case power button faced down. Without it I'm all the time putting it wrong side because Pocket 1 goes like that.
2020-11-16
Use props
Coris
lvl.2
Sweden

In my opinion, the camera power button it should always be placed inside the cover. Powering the camera accidentally (very possible when the power button is outside the cover) it stress mechanically quite much the gimbal, which is powered on while the camera is inside the cover. This is definitely to avoid.
There is a significant difference in between the dedicated power on/off button on the side of the camera body, and the long press on function button (for power on only). Powering on the camera from the dedicated button, it cause a kind of general reset at start up, with a complete testing sequence for gimbal. This is a good way to start up the camera, in my opinion.
Powering up from function button, it cause a fast power on, when the gimbal is only default positioned, all quick and ready for record. By using the function button to power up, I had some issues, when some settings it was not correctly and always recalled as it was last time used (this is about issues in firmware also)...
2020-11-17
Use props
djiuser_8e8LM32ZOMxd
New

United Kingdom

Coris Posted at 11-16 11:58
Yes indeed... it may be some other solutions as well... DJI have to only think about it ... In my opinion, the hardware solution (maybe a smaller and lowered power button, into the camera body), it may be the most simple one...

For me the best solution would be use the side power button to power off only. You can already press one of the others to power on.
2020-12-21
Use props
makvos
lvl.1

Germany

I have had this issue as well, and will now simply put it in the case the other direction. I keep the wrist strap on, so this feels "wrong", but so be it. But I have wondered, if I do press the button accidently while the pocket is in the case, is it better to simply leave the camera in the case until the gimbal shuts itself off, or try to get it out quickly? (the latter solution often doesn't work and I worry that I'll wrench the gimbal against the case). The gimbal has an auto-shutoff, but I suspect that's not very good for it.
2021-3-17
Use props
fans2e76bd8f
lvl.1
United States

Soundie Posted at 2020-11-16 11:51
Maybe a longer delay from pressing on/off until it actually will start would be a doable firmware fix - tho - longer press = longer startup...
Hard choice to make for developers.
Maybe a setting in the config so that the owner could enable/disable the delay.

Or DJI could implement what they're done on the Mavic Air 2 Drone - you need a single quick press & release followed by a long press and hold to turn the unit on or off. Once you know the sequence, it works well and stops accidental on/offs.
2021-3-18
Use props
FeatherlightRec
lvl.1
United States

A longer start delay would be great BUT, even better would be to have the firmware lock the gimbal facing the opposite direction on power down so putting it in the case with the power switch facing down didn't require waiting until the gimbal motors completely release.
2021-12-21
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I use mine mostly in a "Scotty Makes Stuff" full protecive case, where the power button is operated through a flexible part of the case.  And it's almost impossilble to push it even when you want to!
2021-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules