DJI Fly app causes smartphone reboot (reproduceable)
1269 2 2020-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_fHiBn19dYa2I
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4032251 ft
Germany

Mavic Mini + DJI Fly App 1.2.0 + Samsung S6:
Hi, I've seen the DJI Fly app crash occasionally as reported in other threads, but here is something different: when switching between map view and camera view several times inflight, at some point I always get a reboot of the smartphone: there is a large empty battery symbol (although battery is >90%), then a black screen and the smartphone reboots.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920F) Android 7, dedicated to the Mavic Mini controller only. Running Android 7 it's not exactly fresh, but perfect in size and performance, and it's on the compatibility list. There is no internet connection while I'm flying, no sim card installed. The problem occurs when trying to go back from full-screen map view to camera view. I usually don't use the map , and in over 300 Flights with the Mavic Mini I've seen this once before and considered it spurious. Now I had it again, depriving me of the camera view for more than two minutes in a most critical moment, leading to an emergency landing with my first aircraft damage (gimbal ribbon cable broken, picture okay). After the incident, I was able to reproduce this behaviour with app version 1.2.0 several times, just received 1.2.1, no chance for further testing yet.

Would any log files (presumably from the smartphone) help for a better understanding of the problem? And I would consider this bug a quite serious product defect - would DJI consider a repair under warranty?

2020-11-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I am sorry to hear about the issue you encountered and the accident happened. As the drone got damaged, I'd suggest sending the drone back for diagnosis and service, you may apply for data analysis, our analyst will check the data and find out the root cause of the accident, if it is a warranty case, you don't need to pay the service as long as the drone is within the warranty period. Please start a service request at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index.
Regarding the issue of the mobile device rebooting, if it is convenient, please provide a screen recording of the issue, I will forward it to our engineers to investigate further about it.
2020-11-14
Use props
djiuser_fHiBn19dYa2I
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4032251 ft
Germany

Hello Susan,
happy New Year and thank you for the reply. I would like to come back to your last offer - forward to engineers for further investigation.

I've created a case with local DJI support ( CAS-5466563-D1T6K4 - can you see all documents and links? ) and as you suggested I've created a video demonstrating the smartphone rebooting when switching views in the DJI Fly app. I've also provided remote controller logs, detailed descriptions including an analysis screenshot and a letter with additional bug reports. I got several replies from DJI's "Support9.NL" repeating that data analysis shows a wind warning and no "manufacturing error", but that is neither the cause of the accident nor the problem that I'm reporting. Actually none of the stereotype replies that I've received from "Support9.NL" EVER related to any information that I am providing. I can even prove that the links to the video and to the data that I've provided have never been clicked.

I certainly can accept if DJI does not provide warranty for good reasons, the damage is small and I've replaced the drone anyway. But the way DJI support in Netherlands is handling detailed and very benevolent customer reports is completely unacceptable to me. It is obviously completely impossible to forward any information to a competent person at DJI. Can you look into the case, or forward it to an engineer working on the DJI Fly App?
2021-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules