New Mini 2 Owner 1st Drone
1865 29 2020-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17274 ft
United States

My new DJI Mini 2 arrived Friday from BH Photo.   I quickly set about task of getting batteries charged and getting unit registered.  

Going in I knew that my phone would not run the FLy app, I have Motorola 6Play with 64 bit hardware but has 32 bit OS onboard.  Surprisingly, I found that my cheap $89 tablet from Wal Mart think brand is ONN, has full fledge 64bit OS, and Fly took during install.   First test was Friday evening.  I did 20 minute fight today in 20 mph winds with gusts up to 38 mph.  The craft flew flawless, but I am currently lacking tablet holder making flying difficult with two hands tied up holding tablet and controller.  My new tablet holder arrives Tuesday.   

I have question what are best options for phone or tablet which will keep video moving smoothly, has good horsepower but not crazy price?  Is it best to stick to apple device like say an IPAD?   I have always used Android products, want few best options Apple and Android as controller, which I can get under $550.   Feedback from experience DJI folks with FLy app appreciated!  I am thinking phone with 6 inch screen or mini Ipad.  I want good size display and excellent battery life with solid hardware performance.   

Initially very impressed with DJI MIni 2, held rock solid in high wind gusts....I was flying on side of mountain for 20 minutes.    I still have tons to learn, but this is perfect first drone to let me  learn to fly and great price point.  Bought the fly more package.

Really want to know should I go APPLE with cell or tablet or Android, which product will best work with FLY app?  I am Android user.  Also what tablet or cell recommended at decent price range would be best and have best battery  life, screen brightness.  Want to know what experienced DJI folks use who have been using app for some time now.

2020-11-14
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

Old Xiaomi Mi Max 3
New Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite

They should fit into the standard mount without adapters.

2020-11-14
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

Thanks will check this out!  Appreciate much!  Like to hear from  few folks on best compatible products.  Gives me chance to look to do pros and cons of each and see what all experienced folks are using.  Really appreciated!

I looked found at WalMart International unlocked
Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Lite 64GB 6GB RAM 6.47" 64MP DualSim

Will this work, price new is $300.  I use Cricket which is ATT for cell service.

2020-11-14
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

SteamEngineer Posted at 11-14 20:21
Thanks will check this out!  Appreciate much!  Like to hear from  few folks on best compatible products.  Gives me chance to look to do pros and cons of each and see what all experienced folks are using.  Really appreciated!

List of compatible products
2020-11-14
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

I'm afraid for compatibility with mobile operators USA need to communicate with the local, you have there is too confusing...
2020-11-14
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

Alevpi Posted at 11-14 20:20
Old Xiaomi Mi Max 3
New Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite

Excellent! Thank You.  Funny, I had been to Phantom site, Looks to me like the Mi 10 Lite Note would probably work, appears they all using 64 bit OS from what I am seeing.
2020-11-14
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

Alevpi Posted at 11-14 20:29
I'm afraid for compatibility with mobile operators USA need to communicate with the local, you have there is too confusing...

Yep, US has way too many carriers and mix match of hardware. I confirmed it will work with my cell provider.  Leaning toward the Note 10 lite version dual sim of company you mentioned.Or the regular cell verison of it.  New Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
2020-11-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you really want a tablet, in order to satisfy DJI, you have to go iOS because they do not yet recommend any Android tablets. That being said, I am using two Android tablets, knowing they may go south with any update of the app at any time. Many Android tablets will work that are not approved, but it is a crap shoot to pick one. For example: For the Mini 2 or MA2, do not get a Samsung Tab A even though it is 64 bit. It is too slow for the Ocusync data.

tip: If you go outside the approved list of devices, make sure it has an internal magnetic sensor (compass) or you will lose a valuable display function.

2020-11-14
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-14 20:43
If you really want a tablet, in order to satisfy DJI, you have to go iOS because they do not yet recommend any Android tablets. That being said, I am using two Android tablets, knowing they may go south with any update of the app at any time. Many Android tablets will work that are not approved, but it is a crap shoot to pick one. For example: For the Mini 2 or MA2, do not get a Samsung Tab A even though it is 64 bit. It is too slow for the Ocusync data.

Great info!   I had a Tab A, and ended up returning it.   

I really wonder if Apple hardware performs faster?  So far best choice appears to be the cell phone suggested in model 10 new for 300 at Walmart in Android flavor.    Nice screen size, and fast processing.   
2020-11-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

See the tip I added above ;-)
2020-11-14
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

Alevpi Posted at 11-14 20:29

Really like specs on the Note 10 version of suggested cell. And 300 good price new.

Xiaomi takes a step forward to get closer to all its customer and adds the Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Lite to the Mi Note 10 family. This is the third and most affordable member, which retains many of the features of its siblings (especially the design) but with certain differences that make it suitable for demanding users who also don't want to overpay. This Lite version becomes a more than interesting option because of its Snapdragon 730G processor, its quad rear camera with 64MP main sensor, its on-screen fingerprint reader, its 6.47" FHD+ AMOLED panel, its 5260 mAh battery or its 30W fast charge.

Specs pm Snapdragpm 730G CPU:
Octa-Core CPU with two high-frequency custom Kryo 470 cores clocked at  2.2 GHz based on Cortex-A76 and lower six Kryo 470 cores are clocked at  1.8 GHz based on Cortex-A55. It is combined with Adreno 618 GPU @825Mhz  for graphics-intensive tasks. The chipset can hold up to 8GB LPDDR4X RAM  with 1080 x 2520 pixels Full HD+ display. The supports up to dual 22MP +  22MP and a single up to 192 MP for both front and rear camera modules.

Sounds like this CPU is geared toward graphic intensive tasks.

2020-11-14
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

tip: If you go outside the approved list of devices, make sure it has an internal magnetic sensor (compass) or you will lose a valuable display function.

Internal magnetic like one that would know declination offset?  My automated telescopeMeade Lx-200 GPS 12" has one...have to enter offset from Magnetic North.  Interesting, thanks!  This would supplement GPS and at min if things go off provide simple relative bearing in addition to other location controllers.
2020-11-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SteamEngineer Posted at 11-14 20:54
Internal magnetic like one that would know declination offset?  My automated telescopeMeade Lx-200 GPS 12" has one...have to enter offset from Magnetic North.  Interesting, thanks!  This would supplement GPS and at min if things go off provide simple relative bearing in addition to other location controllers.

The Fly app has an indicator at the bottom that shows the orientation of you and the drone. If there is no device compass function, you lose that feature. The Tab A has none but I use it anyway for the Mini. If the manufacturer doesn't show it, just try to install a compass app. If it fails....no sensor.
2020-11-14
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-14 20:58
The Fly app has an indicator at the bottom that shows the orientation of you and the drone. If there is no device compass function, you lose that feature. The Tab A has none but I use it anyway for the Mini. If the manufacturer doesn't show it, just try to install a compass app. If it fails....no sensor.

Excellent information.  I am pretty solid with electronics and building my own adds for products.  Back in 2010 built total 100% robotic 12 ft dome observatory from scratch....even does image runs via computer.  Slick setup.  I will lookup more on this info on devices.  Really appreciated!

I have to sit down and see all of fly features yet, havent even found if it has like a map view yet......drone arrived Friday I have total of 28 mins fly time so far.  So far I have flown using camera view, hopped into camera settings, did firmware updates and such but have not explored all functions yet. Complete DJI newbie, but I learn fast.  And also I am very consevative with my flying, I bought this to do lots of hands on flying and learning with.   Eventually, have interest in inspections and getting into hyperspectral imaging. A pretest before I go bigger,  learning to walk and chew gum first.  

2020-11-14
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

If you really want a tablet, in order to satisfy DJI, you have to go iOS because they do not yet recommend any Android tablets. That being said, I am using two Android tablets, knowing they may go south with any update of the app at any time. Many Android tablets will work that are not approved, but it is a crap shoot to pick one. For example: For the Mini 2 or MA2, do not get a Samsung Tab A even though it is 64 bit. It is too slow for the Ocusync data.

And I will add categorically do not buy devices on Exynos from Samsung, Samsung really doesn't like to release updates for its processors!
2020-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you want something good with bags load of space 256gb for drone videos and a good phone go Apple SE it’s very cheap for what you get.
2020-11-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you want to stay with android I currently use the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (not the S6 Lite) and its amazing.  Easy to see even on a bright, sunny day and sure beats the miniature size of a cell phone screen. You can pick one up for just over $400 in mint condition.  Hope this helps.
2020-11-15
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-15 04:56
If you want something good with bags load of space 256gb for drone videos and a good phone go Apple SE it’s very cheap for what you get.

Thank you for suggestion.   In my head I have been leaning towards Apple even though I am Android and Windows user.   I have owned one Apple phone was think model 5SE.  Really like screen and solid picture and sound quality along with video tools it had.  Was a solid phone.  The one thing I never liked with Apple was all of the double authentication and Apple store side of things, just seemed bit too proprietary.  

As I narrow things down in my head leaning Apple at moment and thinking something with a min display of around 6.2 inch.    I do have a new tablet holder for the mini 2 arriving Tuesday so I will test with my currently functioning cheap 10.1 inch ONN tablet($89 new) from Walmart included keyboard with it).  Believe it or not it is cheap tablet but it does run FLY has pure 64 bit OS and hardware.  Not sure why all of the big name brands like Motorola and all ship their cell phones with 32 bit Android when they have 64 bit hardware, only smells of $$$$ maker.  Really upset that Motorola locked my Play6 from going higher than Android 8, If I am correct Android 9 and higher believe called Marshmallow for most part is when they really started going more with 64 bit OS, thought Motorola still puts a darn 32 bit version on their phones...............pure greed if you ask me.  If i get new phone or tablet may take my Motorola and push a 64 bit OS onto it, it is bit of pain to do but read it is possible.   

Will see how I my tablet holder feels with current setup and make a decision within next week what I will go with.   One thing I do not like is all of the listed supported phones, many come in international verisons unlocked all do not support US cell tower signals very well.    More reason I am leaning Apple or possibly something like the Samsung 10 series or note.............I have to see if I am happier with larger tablet display or phone display, I do wear trifocal glasses most of the time.   

So having solid processing power along with storage and long battery life will be nice.  I am still not aware how long hand controller charge lasts, will hand control stay charged for use of 3 batteries for flight?  Still lots of stuff for me to  learn, my immediate goal is get practice time keeping drone within 1200ft away and working on polishing my flying skills and camera use skills while flying.   Not the type of personality who likes to push to edge safety of my drone....Baby steps first and plan on becoming proficient at flight and reacting to conditions, not one who would fly in risky situation.   I like to get to know my hardware very well.   I have flown some cheap $40 drones no altitude control, and have built a $400 racing drone.   This is my first DJI prosumer purchase, I waited many years for a 249 Gram drone no registration or license needed with 4K capabilities and something like Occusynce 2 on board, I was very patient.   
2020-11-15
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-15 06:15
If you want to stay with android I currently use the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (not the S6 Lite) and its amazing.  Easy to see even on a bright, sunny day and sure beats the miniature size of a cell phone screen. You can pick one up for just over $400 in mint condition.  Hope this helps.

Thanks much for input, added it to my comparison list!  Very much appreciate all the great feedback and suggestions here, thank you all much!
2020-11-15
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-15 06:15
If you want to stay with android I currently use the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (not the S6 Lite) and its amazing.  Easy to see even on a bright, sunny day and sure beats the miniature size of a cell phone screen. You can pick one up for just over $400 in mint condition.  Hope this helps.

Take a look at this model :   Samsung 10.5" Galaxy Tab S6 128GB Tablet (Wi-Fi Only, Mountain Gray)  I just looked at BH PHOTO and Video website..................I realize it may not be on their approved list, but am I correct that this has a 64 bit OS and will work fine for me, nice and speedy solid transmission.   Thanks for input all!  I am thinking I want tablet size and would love to have the pen input capabiities for my work, Power Plant Chief Engineer.   I can see where I would get good use out of this.  
Update 256 Gig version only $50 more...Found direct from Samsung currently for $454 for 256 Gig version or $404 for the 128 Gig version, might at well go with 256 Gig if I go this path.
2020-11-15
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

SteamEngineer Posted at 11-15 15:10
Thank you for suggestion.   In my head I have been leaning towards Apple even though I am Android and Windows user.   I have owned one Apple phone was think model 5SE.  Really like screen and solid picture and sound quality along with video tools it had.  Was a solid phone.  The one thing I never liked with Apple was all of the double authentication and Apple store side of things, just seemed bit too proprietary.  

As I narrow things down in my head leaning Apple at moment and thinking something with a min display of around 6.2 inch.    I do have a new tablet holder for the mini 2 arriving Tuesday so I will test with my currently functioning cheap 10.1 inch ONN tablet($89 new) from Walmart included keyboard with it).  Believe it or not it is cheap tablet but it does run FLY has pure 64 bit OS and hardware.  Not sure why all of the big name brands like Motorola and all ship their cell phones with 32 bit Android when they have 64 bit hardware, only smells of $$$$ maker.  Really upset that Motorola locked my Play6 from going higher than Android 8, If I am correct Android 9 and higher believe called Marshmallow for most part is when they really started going more with 64 bit OS, thought Motorola still puts a darn 32 bit version on their phones...............pure greed if you ask me.  If i get new phone or tablet may take my Motorola and push a 64 bit OS onto it, it is bit of pain to do but read it is possible.   

SteamEngineer - The Remote Controller will last through all 3 batteries and more. You might not be aware the controller is charging/ attempting to charge your device constantly. One advantage Apple devices have with the Mini 2 has an option to turn off charging on ios devices only! I am an Android user so not pushing anything as I have a Samsung Galaxy s10e. If you have any questions I can answer let me know.
2020-11-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

SteamEngineer Posted at 11-15 15:17
Thanks much for input, added it to my comparison list!  Very much appreciate all the great feedback and suggestions here, thank you all much!

You're welcome.
2020-11-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

SteamEngineer Posted at 11-15 15:35
Take a look at this model :   Samsung 10.5" Galaxy Tab S6 128GB Tablet (Wi-Fi Only, Mountain Gray)  I just looked at BH PHOTO and Video website..................I realize it may not be on their approved list, but am I correct that this has a 64 bit OS and will work fine for me, nice and speedy solid transmission.   Thanks for input all!  I am thinking I want tablet size and would love to have the pen input capabiities for my work, Power Plant Chief Engineer.   I can see where I would get good use out of this.  
Update 256 Gig version only $50 more...Found direct from Samsung currently for $454 for 256 Gig version or $404 for the 128 Gig version, might at well go with 256 Gig if I go this path.

Great choice.  I have the 256GB version.
2020-11-16
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

videoeditman Posted at 11-15 17:31
SteamEngineer - The Remote Controller will last through all 3 batteries and more. You might not be aware the controller is charging/ attempting to charge your device constantly. One advantage Apple devices have with the Mini 2 has an option to turn off charging on ios devices only! I am an Android user so not pushing anything as I have a Samsung Galaxy s10e. If you have any questions I can answer let me know.

Thanks all I decided to go with the Samsung 10.5" Galaxy Tab S6 256GB Tablet (Wi-Fi Only, Mountain Gray).  My elf friends tell me to wait for Xmas, because Momma Santa may have already known about unit I was wanting.  So I will hold off few more weeks, if Santa doesn't come through will grab it after Xmas.   

My $89 ONN Walmart tablet is meantime is working fine, besides delay on video feeds.   I am keeping it close by and just doing lots of practice flying as I learn my new drone.  Right away, I can tell I need to order skin for it to make it stand out, my 50 year old eyes can't track it well against white to gray backdrop at any type of distance. So new skins are ordered up.  Very happy with new Tablet holder, I use neckstrap and it balances quite well, very natural and of course much easier to fly now.  

I am new to hobby, so I am keeping drone at limit in height and distance when learning, I will not allow fly away to happen.  I am quickly becoming very proficient with flying this drone.  To date I can say I am very happy with purchase.  When I gain more confidence in my flying abilitiy I will open up my limits a bit more on my max acceptable distances horizontally and vertically.   My main purpose of purchase was to use as inspection drone, and for some video work.  

I am very pleased with overall video quality on this unit.  Last ight, at dusk flight I dropped camera at 4k into full manual mode on settings to get video bright enough, increasing shutter speed and iso settings.  Very pleased with outcome after adjustments.   I still have yet had chance to test the various preset video features out, that will come when I have more flying time, currently stuck on 16-12hr plus shifts in a row, be some time before I see much daylight and have chance.   Also, 3 days back while flying on cold day, the drone spoke to me suggesting I land that it was too cold 2oF to safely fly without risk to unit, I had to acknowledge if I wanted to continue to fly.    I quickly agreed to land,  my hands were frozen, so nice to see it has built in warnings when flying in weather temps outside it's rated capacities.

2020-11-22
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

SteamEngineer Posted at 11-22 04:04
Thanks all I decided to go with the Samsung 10.5" Galaxy Tab S6 256GB Tablet (Wi-Fi Only, Mountain Gray).  My elf friends tell me to wait for Xmas, because Momma Santa may have already known about unit I was wanting.  So I will hold off few more weeks, if Santa doesn't come through will grab it after Xmas.   

My $89 ONN Walmart tablet is meantime is working fine, besides delay on video feeds.   I am keeping it close by and just doing lots of practice flying as I learn my new drone.  Right away, I can tell I need to order skin for it to make it stand out, my 50 year old eyes can't track it well against white to gray backdrop at any type of distance. So new skins are ordered up.  Very happy with new Tablet holder, I use neckstrap and it balances quite well, very natural and of course much easier to fly now.  

Update.   Been on two long runs at work 15 day stretch of 12hr shifts and have 7 days left of 17 day run.  Ended up getting iPad for Christmas, this will be my preferred method for using DJi Fly app.  Also, ended up with 6pc clip on filter set for the mini 2.  Have a week off after 1st of year, hoping to have some time to test iPad and new filters out and to log some flight time.  New tablet holder works well also picked up nice hard waterproof case for setup at Harbor Freight for great price.  
2020-12-25
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 2020-11-14 20:43

Went iPad route with Gen 8.   The refresh and update rate when flying is flawless even when drone at several thousand feet distance away, impeccable.  Great call, I now will be changing my phone to Apple in the future.   Like the looks of the SE.....loving my iPad never looking back! Apple processors and hardware blazing fast compared to my Android.  Love the real estate on screen size of the iPad and lovely colors.   Thank you.  
2021-3-24
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

SteamEngineer Posted at 3-24 03:04
Went iPad route with Gen 8.   The refresh and update rate when flying is flawless even when drone at several thousand feet distance away, impeccable.  Great call, I now will be changing my phone to Apple in the future.   Like the looks of the SE.....loving my iPad never looking back! Apple processors and hardware blazing fast compared to my Android.  Love the real estate on screen size of the iPad and lovely colors.   Thank you.

DJI Fly app disappeared from the Google Play Store yesterday, but the app can still be downloaded from the website and installed. This could soon happen to the DJI Fly app on the Apple App Store as well, but you will not be able to manually install the app on the iOS device. It is possible that you will only be able to use Android devices in the future to fly DJI drones.
2021-3-24
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

Tuxtard Posted at 3-24 03:14
DJI Fly app disappeared from the Google Play Store yesterday, but the app can still be downloaded from the website and installed. This could soon happen to the DJI Fly app on the Apple App Store as well, but you will not be able to manually install the app on the iOS device. It is possible that you will only be able to use Android devices in the future to fly DJI drones.

Thanks for info.   How can one put a product out and than turn around and OS support go away...Crazy. I do hope Apple is not playing games with DJI and vice versa going forward not right to purchasers. Bare min if this happens DJI would need to give Apple purchasers a way to use original available firmware, absolute insanity, perhaps this is Google or government thing.   Frustrated thinking about that.
2021-3-24
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

SteamEngineer Posted at 3-24 03:23
Thanks for info.   How can one put a product out and than turn around and OS support go away...Crazy. I do hope Apple is not playing games with DJI and vice versa going forward not right to purchasers. Bare min if this happens DJI would need to give Apple purchasers a way to use original available firmware, absolute insanity, perhaps this is Google or government thing.   Frustrated thinking about that.

It is a political thing, as US government banned DJI. I think that they will mitigate this in the future by building some kind of cheaper Smart controller with everything built in.
2021-3-24
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
United States

Been a crazy year, not much fly time, been working short handed at work since last Autumn 3 of us covering for 4 man 12 hr shifts 7 days a week.  Needless to say, I have been living at work.   Today was first day in several months had change to break out DJI mini 2.   I  setup my new cell phone today with the Mini 2.  It was a breeze, I picked up a New Apple IPhone 12 Pro Max, works beautifully with the mini 2, setup went very smooth.  Few more months of these long shifts before new guy is able to take over shift by themselves, looking forward to some time off and flight time.  
Last time used was around April did inspection on Industrial boiler at my powerplant finding tube  leak with mini 2.  Actually flew inside a 1954 boiler, solid steel casing with lots of refractory had great signal strength, even with all the boiler screen wall tubes running between headers, was not expecting good signal strength at all.  Flew well.  Found leak and setup ASME coded boiler repair.   Used mini 2 on other occassion to inspect one of our older radial brick chimneys.  Unit has proven handy for my field.  

2021-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules