ND Filters - Which ones Scratch the lens?
989 4 2020-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tcow92
New

United Kingdom

Hey all,
I'm a newbie here so... thanks for having me and putting up with my basic questions. I have a DJI Pocket 2 getting delivered next week and I'm looking into getting some ND filters for it (ideally nd8,16,32,64). There have been a lot of reports of certain filters scratching lenses etc. Is this just because people aren't being really careful taking them on/off or do I really need to watch out for every brand other than PolarPro? For example i'd like to get the Neewer magnetic filter set but will these scratch up my screen? Should I be going for PolarPro standard filter pack instead because of the padded magnets?

Many thanks for all the help,
Theo
2020-11-15
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

I have Pocket 1 with a ton of scrath on its cover glass. So I'm might not the one to talk here.
Filters are all touching the cover glass with its magnet. It's ok by itself as the mounting magnet area is around edges and scratch there doesn't affect your image quality.

However, it's when you slips your finger and made your filter slide across the cover glass and leave a scratch in the center as you mentioned. That affect your image quality.

Every filter can do that and none is fail proof. (because when you slip, it's not the magnet that scratches the glass...) Tip is to get a filter with a better grip design, so your finger tip can better hold on to it even in the cold weather.

Any major name brand filters were like a like in terms of optics from my experience but...
Many neglected anti fog coating inside. (Although they have it outside) So some times they fog up. I heard Polar Pro has coating on both side but not sure.
2020-11-15
Use props
Interpol
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37201 ft
  • >>>
United States

Permanent antifog coating doesn't exist.  It's a simple matter to wipe a drop of antifog solution on to the lens and filter before mounting it.
If you meant antireflective (AR) coating, that's a completely different story.
2020-11-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Theo. Congratulations on your new DJI Pocket 2 and thank you for reaching out. I would recommended for your to check the ND Filters Set found on our DJI online store for the DJI Pocket 2. These ND filter are tested to work properly with your new DJI Pocket 2. Thank you for your valued support and keep on filming.

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-pocket-nd-filters-set
2020-11-15
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Interpol Posted at 11-15 10:49
Permanent antifog coating doesn't exist.  It's a simple matter to wipe a drop of antifog solution on to the lens and filter before mounting it.
If you meant antireflective (AR) coating, that's a completely different story.

Thanks I should try that.
It’s just that fogging up happened just few days from getting the filter and one of their AD was anti fog coating layer. So I have some distinct impression about it.
2020-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules