Mini 2 drift and constant IMU/Compass Calibration
7313 24 2020-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

My original mini was rock solid - my new mini 2 - not so much. I only have 3 2-5 minute flights on it but something is not right. I follow my same pattern as always, wait for enough sats, updated home point, auto take off. Forward, back, left, right, yaw left yaw right. If everything is good - I fly. As soon as I get 40-50 feet in the air the mini experiences severe drift. For example if I yaw and let go of the sitcks it keeps yawing. Similarly if try to hover it moves to the left/right/forward/back without stick input. When I land, which is tricky as it's moving around by itself as I try to land, I get IMU and Compass errors and calibration is required. I've calibrated it5 times now but it's the exact same problems every time I take it out. Ideas?

Here are the links to the 3 flights I've had. I also note that the flight path shown does not coorelate to the actual flight path flown.

flight log 1 2 min
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/PCK3M5SOLNDTLVCF6K07

flight log 2 2 min

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/1A3DX3BYWMW2WTVPHIKH

flight log 3 5 min

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ALT47F1Q5XNU64MHRUA8

2020-11-15
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Canada

Update. I also notice my horizon is not level and it gives a navigation system error when I land and just before the imu calibration error.

See attached images.
0629DD55-7FF7-4CD6-9AE4-9741A0E07454.png
F06EAD49-A71E-41D6-BD34-40699EAD4C2E.png
2020-11-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

For example if I yaw and let go of the sitcks it keeps yawing.
I've gone through a few thousand lines of your data and can't see a single case where this has happened.
2020-11-15
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Canada

Here is a link to a small video of the issue. Each time I stop it drifts and also slowly turns to the right.

https://youtu.be/at3Lq-CNSZg
2020-11-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

davidms Posted at 11-15 17:10
Here is a link to a small video of the issue. Each time I stop it drifts and also slowly turns to the right.

https://youtu.be/at3Lq-CNSZg

That shows a drone turning, but there's no way to tell what the joysticks were doing so it doesn't prove anything.
2020-11-15
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Canada

The joysticks were neutral.
2020-11-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there davidms. I am sorry for the trouble this has cased and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to calibrate your DJI Mini 2's remote controller as well for us to be able to isolate the said issue? Please keep us posted and thank you.
2020-11-15
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks Stephen. I’ll try the calibration and report back.
2020-11-16
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-15 20:15
Hello there davidms. I am sorry for the trouble this has cased and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to calibrate your DJI Mini 2's remote controller as well for us to be able to isolate the said issue? Please keep us posted and thank you.

I'm having the same issue of having to calibrate compass virtually every time before flying. I've also had to calibrate the IMU twice with only 4 flights under my belt with the new Mini 2
2020-11-16
Use props
GoAround
lvl.2
Flight distance : 99649 ft
United Kingdom

Mine has requested compass calibrations three times: At home. 80 miles away and then back home. I need to fly it more to see what happens if location not changed.
2020-11-16
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Canada

But when you calibrate and then fly does it hold its position? I would be fine with calibrating often if it also navigated fine, but mine doesn’t. It immediately seems to be thrown off and every time I land I get the navigation error.
2020-11-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Had a look at your 3 flights.

About your drifting issue, hard to tell from your flights, small yaw inputs make it hard to tell.
About your not stable in hover, without RC inputs. Absolutely a YES ; see the charts.
Yellow line is the move line with no RC inputs.

Only action you can do is IMU, Compass and RC calibration, fly again in in open free area.

PS  lots of satellites, mini2 uses GPS, Glonass and Galileo....wow 27x !!
cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2020-11-16
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks for the validation JJB. I’m going to go through all three calibrations today and try again.
2020-11-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

davidms Posted at 11-16 07:28
Thanks for the validation JJB. I’m going to go through all three calibrations today and try again.

good luck, do you use iOS?   i see version 1.2.1  and battery cell values

2020-11-16
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Canada

I am in iOS 14.2 with the latest fly app.
2020-11-16
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Canada

Ok just did a calibration on the RC, a compass calibration and an IMU calibration. Same problem. It will not hold it's position and its quite unpredictable. No stick input it's all over the place.

See flight log here:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/OEKIL7S4JQD8JXCU5M1M

Also go the NAV error and IMU CAL Error when I maanged to land it:

IMU_ERROR.jpg

2020-11-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

davidms Posted at 11-16 09:35
Ok just did a calibration on the RC, a compass calibration and an IMU calibration. Same problem. It will not hold it's position and its quite unpredictable. No stick input it's all over the place.

See flight log here:

HI david,

again the same.....but to rule out everything ; find a nice open area green land to fly some hover checks.
Don`t know what is in the ground there..., guess nothing flying at 30 meters but....

After that time to contact DJI support!

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-11-16
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Canada

Hi JJB,

went to a park today to give it a go - Exact same behaviors and errors when I landed (Navigation System Error and IMU Error). I only went up 45 feet this time as it was already drifting at about 10ft.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XHQQUAYBSTKFT0I2EP7U
2020-11-17
Use props
D-Jon-I
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45974 ft
United Kingdom

It just sounds like you got a faulty unit. Send it back to the store for a replacement.
2020-11-17
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Canada

I've requested a replacement from DJI. Don't know how long that will take but I feel that's better than a repair.
2020-11-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

davidms Posted at 11-18 12:08
I've requested a replacement from DJI. Don't know how long that will take but I feel that's better than a repair.

I was looking at the first 3 flight logs you shared, and it looks to me as if you were taking off from the concrete sidewalk out front of your house. That is not a good idea, the sidewalk will contain steel rebard which will affect your compass. Try taking off somwhere that has a grass surface.
2020-11-18
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Canada

Hi Geebax. Thx for the reply. You are correct the first 3 flights are from the sidewalk. I take off my mini and macic pro from there without issue but I suppose it could cause interference. However, I also have two other flights, one going from the top of a wooden picnic table and one in the park from a landing pad on snow (over grass) with the same results. I’ve submitted the replacement request to DJI and just waiting for the shipping info to be emailed to me. Once I get the replacement I’ll test each take off area again.
2020-11-18
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

davidms Posted at 11-18 14:12
Hi Geebax. Thx for the reply. You are correct the first 3 flights are from the sidewalk. I take off my mini and macic pro from there without issue but I suppose it could cause interference. However, I also have two other flights, one going from the top of a wooden picnic table and one in the park from a landing pad on snow (over grass) with the same results. I’ve submitted the replacement request to DJI and just waiting for the shipping info to be emailed to me. Once I get the replacement I’ll test each take off area again.

Did you have the problem solved?
How did you request to replace your unit? By mail or online?
Thank you!
2020-12-14
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Canada

Cients Posted at 12-14 18:41
Did you have the problem solved?
How did you request to replace your unit? By mail or online?
Thank you!

Online chat. I have just received the replacement but it’s too cold now to try it out
2020-12-14
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

davidms Posted at 2020-11-18 14:12
Hi Geebax. Thx for the reply. You are correct the first 3 flights are from the sidewalk. I take off my mini and macic pro from there without issue but I suppose it could cause interference. However, I also have two other flights, one going from the top of a wooden picnic table and one in the park from a landing pad on snow (over grass) with the same results. I’ve submitted the replacement request to DJI and just waiting for the shipping info to be emailed to me. Once I get the replacement I’ll test each take off area again.

Hi Geebax, be aware that the Mavic Pro has a double compass and double IMU. The mini single.
Mavic Pro doesn't have so often a compass or IMU calibration needed.
The only one I get a compass calibration notice  was when I take of in Curacao on hollidays. (other side of the world)
My advice is for the mini 1 or 2 is calibrate IMU and compass after new Firmware and flying from a different area.
2021-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules