One Suggestion for Next Firmware Update
1564 15 2015-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

DJI - It would be a great help to me, (a person who continually forgets to stop recording before I power down the Inspire) if your next firmware update would include an option to have the Inspire automatically go through the stop recording process when the Inspire's power button is pressed. Since I'm a single operator, and don't have waypoints, POI and other promised GS functions, 80% of my focus is on error free piloting and the other 20 is on being and aerial photographer and videographer. So it understandable why I may forget some of my footage capturing responsibilities. I'm sure this is a quick fix and may have already been requested, but just needed to put my two cents in. Thanks a bunch!
2015-6-27
Use props
Overmind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

So, what happens in this instance?  Do you loose the recording?
2015-6-27
Use props
Pgale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 275207 ft
United Kingdom

I agree. Seems pretty obvious that the camera should stop and close the recording before the aircraft is allowed to finish its power down. I've forgotten to stop recording a couple of times too. Normally results in a bad file, sometimes fixed on the next power up and once had to do the MP4 file rebuild on a PC which worked ok.

We now operate 2 man crew and have an item in a dedicated camera operator checklist to remind us to stop the recording which I think will help.
2015-6-27
Use props
r4nd0m
lvl.2
Flight distance : 839055 ft
United Kingdom

yeah same applies to an option to start video recording on prop start - I have missed it a couple of times now and such an option would help ...
2015-6-28
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
United States

Overmind Posted at 2015-6-28 15:39
So, what happens in this instance?  Do you loose the recording?

It results in a corrupt video file. Recovery is possible (from what I hear) but I've never had any luck.
2015-6-28
Use props
supernut66.hotm
lvl.1

Turkey

jones5r Posted at 2015-6-28 20:25
It results in corrupt video file. Recover is possible (from what I hear) but I've never had any lu ...

its an idea, the problem with  the idea is not allowing the inspire to close fast, when our inspire crashed, when it was picked up it started to spin the props again, so fast close is a must and just try and remember to stop recording, a better idea maybe would be to give us the option to auto stop recording once we land and turn the props off, that would work great up still give us the option to turn the oprion on or off...
2015-6-28
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
United Kingdom

Wow what next? An update to remember we tie our shoe laces?  I was brought up to tie a knot and the likes to remember something.

Saying that draw a cross beside the power button so you'll remember why it's there.( to remember recording and stoping record).

Saves bloating out the software with junk, some of your will probably take offence at the above, but come on we're not forgetfull kids.

I've landed my inspire powered down the probs and used it as a hand gimbal, auto stop video would be a pain in that scenario.
2015-6-28
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

Make pushing the dam button a habit, I mean really, auto on & off cameras???? what next???  
2015-6-28
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Fred D Posted at 2015-6-29 00:13
Make pushing the dam button a habit, I mean really, auto on & off cameras???? what next???

Auto take off and landing ............. Oh wait
2015-6-28
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

this actually can be done if there is such thing as a shut down cycle but as I understand the mechanics when the battery is powered down its a hard cycle switch power cycle not a software cycle shutdown procedure.
2015-6-28
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

r4nd0m Posted at 2015-6-28 17:49
yeah same applies to an option to start video recording on prop start - I have missed it a couple of ...

Agreed, I've lost a few good shots because I've forgotten to record

My Parrot Bebop begins recording as you start, and stops when you shut down.

At least an 'option' for automated record/stop, which can be toggled either way (similar to automated landing gear raise/lower) so that those of us who'd prefer it can choose to, and those that don't (FictitiousPerso) can choose not to.

Just MHO.

Jon
PS. Why do some people feel the need to be so 'aloof'?
2015-6-28
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
United States

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-6-28 22:07
Wow what next? An update to remember we tie our shoe laces?  I was brought up to tie a knot and the  ...

Key word here is "option". Intellectuals like yourself have the option not to lower your standards by not toggling the switch. Seem pretty elementary.
2015-6-28
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Austria

jones5r Posted at 2015-6-29 06:29
Key word here is "option". Intellectuals like yourself have the option not to lower your standards ...

More needless options, more bugs......for example; the auto record/stop didn't work and now I've lost a full days video shoot.( next time I'll do it manually)
Fix: remember to switch it on & off not to depend on software that's buggy.
2015-6-29
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82556 ft
United States

We all know DJI reads this stuff. If they would listen and quit developing new models instead of getting the ones fixed then we all might look at them differently. I saved a long time to get my Inspire and it's in for repair now. The software or firmware should include straight flight auto from point to point so the photogragrapher can get the video they need. It should also include auto circle flight for the same reason as follow me mode as well. That would put it up with the coming trends or its competition.  Not having these features makes it hard to get the video you want. Why should you need two people to get the same footage others get by flying one pilot? We where told by DJI that these where coming along with way points. Where and when? We loose channels and other options and are not gaining. To keep the Inspire a photographers craft, it has to be on top with all the things I have listed. Competitors are already doing these and cheaper or at the same cost of the Inspire. So I'll wait a little bit to see how long it takes to fix my Inspire and how good a job they did along with how or if they will add what they stated prior to the Inspires release.
2015-6-29
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

When I read the orginal post, I thoulght to myself, "That's pretty stupid"  

Then I did that very thing.  I was just flying around, and as I landed, the neighbors dog came over to say hello, and I shut down the bird without stopping the recording.  I did manage to salvage the file with THIS.  How about a camera shut off when the motors shut down, as an option.
2015-6-30
Use props
kneverett
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Frankly, they better get there act in order to deliver the firmware which was flaunted so lavishly to get my purchase.  Other companies will deliver the goods soon enough and DJI will see their customer base evaporate.  Vaporware can kill DJI just was quickly as it did software companies in the past.  The are not immune simply because they bundle the software with hardware.
2015-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules