Hmm solo crashes at store with what looks like a Demo from a 3DR rep
2450 28 2015-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
druiz100
lvl.2

United States

Here is a video that just pop on youtube today.  My friend Solo did that same dam thing that was in the video.  Lucky for him there wasnt anything for the Solo to run into.  My friend got 15 days yet to return it his.  He is hoping they can fix the problem as he likes his, the Solo flys good him, other then it moves on it own sometime for him.  When I saw this video I said to myself, dam look at that exactly what his does.  Its funny in the video they quickly say it was the wind lol.  the wind didnt to that and 3dr dont let dummys fly demo for them.  Look at that end of video the girl giving the demo is wearing 3dr stuff.   So anyone know is this a real 3dr rep?  how can it have a  3 axis gimbal which are not out yet.   

Oh and it does hit someone on the head when it crashes.

2015-6-27
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

What a great way 3dr to set an example of stupidity.
Let's take a selfeeeeeeeee, who cares little children in front of her, who cares there power lines and moving cars on a public road, let's see lookie here press this button and it will go and come back by itself, holy crap cakes, no wonder dji is not bringing them out yet to iron the firmware first before giving the phantom A mind of its own.
2015-6-27
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Hahaha the wind blew it! LOL!
2015-6-27
Use props
sinbad_uk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117343 ft
United Kingdom

2 blondes walked into a bar, you would think that one of them would have seen it!
2015-6-27
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

They are lucky that it only flew against the truck and not in their direction with the kids around. One hell of a demo fail...
2015-6-27
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-27
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Obviously the wind didn't help but it looks an awfully lot like she saw the guy coming towards it with his camera and banked away from him. lt responded as if it had been commanded right (left) as opposed to being picked up by the wind. l dunno, but if that was an actual 3DR demo it was unfortunate and ill-advised.
2015-6-28
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

Anyway you look at it...  Confirms that careless drone pilots are the same no matter what the bird is. :-)

Built up area, lots of people standing around, relying on GPS functionality in an enclosed urban space...  Lots of stuff going wrong before it even crashed.
2015-6-28
Use props
Louis Eng
lvl.2

South Africa

She is pretty though.....
2015-6-28
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

It seems like we are getting the exact same type of report every couple of hours - all low altitude and out-of-control.

I have some from expert pilots. In fact, some pilots have learned enough now to demo this and regain control of the quad afterwards.

The word today is that 3DR has finally admitted it, although they tend to do so in a very technical manner - not "Solo is defective, please do not fly it" but "release candidate code blah-blah is being updated due to altitude problems" etc.

This baby, unfortunately, is not nearly ready for prime time. There appears to be more than one problem - so as they fix one, I suspect they will find another.

3DR Factory reps were there - a factory attended event at a large retailer close to 3DR offices in San Diego. The quad being flown was a factory model (development model with gimbal) which they would not let out of their hands, so she either worked for 3DR or was closely supervised.
2015-6-28
Use props
sns
lvl.2

Ukraine

That`s an unfortunate situation. Flew yesterday while my P3 cought some wind blows in mid-air - P3 was fighting the wind quite well and stayed in place leaning right or left as the wind blew. I don't see any position holding in wind maneuvers in this video when it crashed - looks like a command from remote to me.
2015-6-28
Use props
SULTAN This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-28
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

http://forum.dji.com/thread-15576-1-1.html
2015-6-28
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

Louis Eng Posted at 2015-6-28 20:33

I was busy looking at her and missed the crash, no one ever looked that good picking up a wrecked drone.

On a serious note it was a poorly planned demo although I was quite impressed with the selfie until it flew out of control.
2015-6-28
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

SULTAN Posted at 2015-6-28 21:21
It seems 3DR has this issue for a long time, I've just took a look at the latest videos in YouTube.c ...

The only thing that video showed was a Solo with the speed controllers stuck on.

I don't own a Solo, but may one day.

For any of those that do, are there ultra sonic sensors mounted on the underside like the Phantom? If so, the guy that walked up to take a close up picture may have been picked up by the sensor and the Solo attempted putting some space between them.

As for Blondie and her demo, you can't see her hands on the controls when the crash occurred .

All speculation as to the cause of the crash.

Meanwhile my P3P with firmware 1.1.9 and iPad Mini 3 with Pilot APP 1.1.2 is flying fine LOS.
2015-6-28
Use props
allezdada
lvl.3
United States

I was really concerned about having those little kids around in front of her while flying.  I definitely would not do that with my P3.
2015-6-28
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

Man that was painful to watch!
2015-6-28
Use props
bluetazmaster69
lvl.2

United States

I'm sure DJI is loving this lol.
2015-6-28
Use props
todd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1063389 ft
  • >>>
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-28 23:57
The only thing that video showed was a Solo with the speed controllers stuck on.

I don't own a S ...

As with the P3, the ultra sonics should turn off with a good GPS lock. If the ultra sonics were allowed to override GPS then the drone would fly out of control all of the time. Fly the P3 3' off the ground and fly on a hill. The P3 won't change levels as, with a good GPS lock, the ultra sonics won't override the GPS.
2015-6-28
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

todd@copelandho Posted at 2015-6-29 03:20
As with the P3, the ultra sonics should turn off with a good GPS lock. If the ultra sonics were al ...

Todd, I know I've seen a video of an Inspire operated by a professional videographer where he was demoing the Inspire inside a warehouse they use for a studio.

He set two tables stacked on one another. As soon as the Inspire cleared the table, the Inspire got squirrelly until he was able to take control back over again. He explained the because he had taken off 6 feet off the floor from the table top, that once the unit cleared the top, the sensors reported back that they didn't quite know what to do.

My comment was based on the possibility that the Solo is using a larger area sensor and didn't know what to do once the person was within range.

Thanks for your perspective.
2015-6-28
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-29 03:39
Todd, I know I've seen a video of an Inspire operated by a professional videographer where he was  ...

That is the same attitude my parrot ar.drone did, everyone should know that parrot were the first to use this system and i think dji and 3dr just copied it with all its flawed algorithm so they need to fix it and not just copy and slap it on with its buggy attitude that the ar. drone had.
Basically it is relying on the sonic echo distance mesurement and that is not good for more than 6 feet, and not all surfaces reflect the sound wave it is emitting, they need to use barometer to help the sonic sensor in case there is no gps signal.

When i got my phantom, the first thing i did was disable the VPS before even doing a first flight because when i looked at it, it looked exactly the same size and postion of the ar.drone which struck me funny.

2015-6-28
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Just watching this video made me cringe before it even crashed. Terrible location to try and demo a flying machine
2015-6-28
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-28 21:06
It seems like we are getting the exact same type of report every couple of hours - all low altitude  ...

Reports on what 3dr's out of control or phantom 3's, I see a phantom 3 out of control here about every few hours
2015-6-28
Use props
frozenhawaiian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1663 ft
United States

3DR rep was a hottie.
2015-6-28
Use props
druiz100
lvl.2

United States

I don't think she touched the controls.  Why you ask.  There were people to the right and the left.  If she was going to move the drone it would have been up or away from her and not the left or the right.   Look how close the guy with the camera was on the right of the drone.  So all the people people saying she meant to go right and went left by mistake just look at whats on the right.     

You know what the funny thing is, if you look at the video, its almost like the Solo detected the guy with the camera on the right moving near it and tried to move away.  LOL
2015-6-28
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

Impressive 3DR's selfie mode gets in REAL close.
2015-6-28
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

druiz100@hotmai Posted at 2015-6-29 07:26
I don't think she touched the controls.  Why you ask.  There were people to the right and the left.  ...

This specific crash was discussed on the 3DR forum and a spokesperson from 3DR stated it was due to pilot error. You can read the raw details on the 3DR forum. The young lady was demonstrating a selfie, flew away to do the selfie, then flew back to the parking lot "nose in" (that's the term the 3DR rep used). Now, with that configuration, half the controls are backwards. She apparently meant to bank away from the food truck, got closer instead, then continued faster - into the truck and the guy standing there.

3DR showed that an exam of the logs showed her stick movement and she apparently made a rookie mistake - the "nose in" boo-boo.

I have no dog in that hunt, but it certainly looks like it was NOT a case of "....falling out of the sky...."
2015-7-1
Use props
allezdada
lvl.3
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-2 02:37
This specific crash was discussed on the 3DR forum and a spokesperson from 3DR stated it was due t ...

Only thing is, that would mean she was trying to move the Solo closer to the photographer.  Doesn't seem to make sense.
2015-7-1
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Louis Eng Posted at 2015-6-28 20:33

she is pretty.  I bet the reaction would have been a little different if a dude did that instead of her.  :}
2015-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules