Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Probable Theft
693 11 2020-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alfordg
lvl.1

United States

Sunday, November 8, my Mavic Air took a mind of its own and "flew the coop" mid-flight.  The way it behaved, I suspect my signal was hijacked and someone else took control and flew it off to who knows where.  I lost connection with my remote while trying to bring it home and lost all guidance and video.
2020-11-16
Use props
MotoRef FPV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183665 ft
United States

That's a bummer. There are a few tracking systems out there to consider. Like https://findthedrone.com/... unit may be a bit heavy for a Mini though. Good luck!
2020-11-16
Use props
alfordg
lvl.1

United States

I never knew anything about this, nor did I know that hijacking was possible until this event.  This is actually the original Mavic Air, not a mini.  It should support a tracking device.  Thanks for the info.
2020-11-16
Use props
MotoRef FPV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183665 ft
United States

Oh, Mavic Air is what I meant, not Mini, Sorry!  Well, the upside is Black Friday Sales are upon us... the DJI Mavic Air 2 is an outstanding unit and they just released the new DJI Mini 2 with Ocusync 2.0. The products keep getting better.  Cheers!
2020-11-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you check the windspeed before take-off?  At even 30 to 40 metres AG the wind can be much stronger than at ground level.  Strong enough to blow the drone away, perhaps.  Hi-jacking the signal seems rather unlikely - unless maybe you were close to a restricted area.
2020-11-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unlikely the radio was hijacked,  try posting your log here - http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/
2020-11-17
Use props
Scarves UP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-17 07:15
Unlikely the radio was hijacked,  try posting your log here - http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/

Yes! That's definitely the right thing to do.
2020-11-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there alfordg. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air. Since this unfortunate incident happened and you have lost the said DJI drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. If the said drone is still under the warranty period and it is evaluated as a non-pilot error, the warranty service will be provided. Again, I am sorry for your loss and thank you for your understanding.
2020-11-17
Use props
alfordg
lvl.1

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 11-17 07:04
Did you check the windspeed before take-off?  At even 30 to 40 metres AG the wind can be much stronger than at ground level.  Strong enough to blow the drone away, perhaps.  Hi-jacking the signal seems rather unlikely - unless maybe you were close to a restricted area.

Yes, there was very little, if any, wind to interfere with performance.  The drone was having a very smooth flight and I was about to bring it home when it "got a mind of its own" and flew off in a completely different direction.  I lost all control of it.  This behavior, and the attitude of the home owner when I went to ask permission to search for it on his property, is what makes me believe it was compromised.
2020-11-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alfordg Posted at 11-18 06:20
Yes, there was very little, if any, wind to interfere with performance.  The drone was having a very smooth flight and I was about to bring it home when it "got a mind of its own" and flew off in a completely different direction.  I lost all control of it.  This behavior, and the attitude of the home owner when I went to ask permission to search for it on his property, is what makes me believe it was compromised.

Ah well, short of calling the cops, looks like you'll have to chalk that one up to experience. Commiserations.
2020-11-18
Use props
alfordg
lvl.1

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 11-18 06:24
Ah well, short of calling the cops, looks like you'll have to chalk that one up to experience. Commiserations.

That was my thought as well.  Not much I can do about it.  Just got to move on.
2020-11-18
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that
2020-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now