1308 9 2015-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
smithy900
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15643 ft
Philippines

Hi,
I normally fly S1000 but my lightbridge broke down, now sent for repair so I purchased an Inspire1 as a backup and to be honest its a joy to fly.
I have an issue with the downlink video freezing on my ipad 3 mini and i phone 6, i can fly for about 10 mins before this happens, the ipad is only used for the inspire, no other software.
both the i pad and i phone get hot, the temp here is about 32 degrees so quite hot.
Anybody have the same issue?  im thinking the size of the ipad mini and iphone will not allow the heat to dispurse.   Also i have disabled the video cache in the app.
2015-6-28
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

No problems with an iPad mini  for me and I also only use the iPad for the Inspire and minor other stuff such as playing show reel.  If you are using in the Philipines perhaps the outside ambient temperature is close to the iPAD max temperature range.  Check the iPAD Specs.
2015-6-28
Use props
smithy900
lvl.1
Philippines

GB44 Posted at 2015-6-28 21:51
No problems with an iPad mini  for me and I also only use the iPad for the Inspire and minor other s ...

Thank you Gb44, im used to flying in the Uk, never had an issue there>
2015-6-28
Use props
Overmind
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Interesting...are your problems continuing!  I'm keen to get to the root cause of this...
2015-6-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly in Las Vegas.  When the temp goes above 95F the app will slow down then freeze then the iPad will go into thermal shut down.  The max operating temperature for the iPad is 95F by the way.
2015-6-28
Use props
smithy900
lvl.1
Philippines

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-28 22:25
I fly in Las Vegas.  When the temp goes above 95F the app will slow down then freeze then the iPad w ...

Thank you, do you know of another tab that can deal with this?   

I taped some frozen hotdogs to the back of the i pad, this helped for a while but deffinatly not practical.( it was an emergancy and nothing else at hand...lol)
2015-6-28
Use props
smithy900
lvl.1
Philippines

Overmind Posted at 2015-6-28 22:17
Interesting...are your problems continuing!  I'm keen to get to the root cause of this...

yes its a pain,  im going to try a larger android to see if it will run cooler.
2015-6-28
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

smithy900 Posted at 2015-6-28 22:40
Thank you, do you know of another tab that can deal with this?   

I taped some frozen hotdogs to  ...

Try velcroing some cooler blocks onto the back of the iPAD from an Esky/Cooler box.  Just have  supply of them in the box and change when they start to warm up.  You can get them in local supermarkets.
2015-6-28
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Smithy,

At ambient temps of 32C and above, running the DJI Pilot app on my iPad Mini 3 will overheat it within about 6 -8 minutes.  I've had some luck pre-chilling my iPad Mini 3 in a small insulated bag with with one of those blue ice coolers you freeze overnight and can reuse.  Using a sun hood to keep direct sunlight off the iPad screen is also necessary in bright sunlight to keep any iOS device from overheating.  

If you can afford it, or have one available, the iPad Air 2 has a faster CPU and graphics co-processor than the iPad Mini 3, so I find that it doesn't overheat due to DJI Pilot app use alone.  I can fly as many as 3 15-minute flights at temps up to 35C (95F) without overheating the iPad Air 2 if I fly on a cloudy day, OR keep the iPad Air 2 in the shade, OR use a sun hood.

You will need to use a sun hood when flying in bright sunlight on hot summer days to keep the iPad Air 2 from overheating.  if the iPad Air 2 display is exposed to direct sun at temps above 30C, it can overheat and shut down in less than 10 minutes. So, a sun hood is essential on hot sunny days. Unfortunately, the mobile device holder for the Inspire 1 remote control can just barely accommodate a bare iPad Air 2, and with a sun hood large enough for the device, the whole assembly gets a little unstable. I can barely get one click of closure on the mobile device ratchet. A gust of wind can, and has, dislodged the sun hood and iPad combo from my remote control mobile device holder.  So, use caution using a sun hood in windy conditions.
2015-6-28
Use props
smithy900
lvl.1
Philippines

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-6-29 02:53
Smithy,

At ambient temps of 32C and above, running the DJI Pilot app on my iPad Mini 3 will overhea ...

Thank you David.
I will try out your fixes, your post has been very helpfull.
2015-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules