8873 14 2015-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am corn-fused about the shutter speed when taking video. My problem is that if I take video at 25 frames per second, isn't that the shutter speed that the camera uses i.e. 1/25th of a second?
I hear that we should use 1/60th of a second when filming at 25 frames per second. IF we do that why isn't that 60 frames a second?
The reason I wonder is that I have a camera that takes video, and can do slo-mo too. It doesn't care what my still picture shutter speed is, it takes video using the frame rate I choose.
Why isn't the P3P the same thing?
HELP a dummy will you?
2015-6-28
Use props
PhantomAtAK
lvl.2

United States

EDIT HERE- My original reply (removed) does not answer your question. After rereading my reply, I did not answer your question, but I did reveal that I am equally confused.  Original question remains unanswered, sorry for the flawed response.

2015-6-28
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

For every FPS in example, 24FPS, should have a shutter speed closest to 1/48th of a sec or even 1/48th of a sec, and 30FPS is 1/60th of a sec, and 60FPS is 1/120th of a sec. You can't achieve these with any of the cameras that the Phantom 3s carry unless you use an ND filter to let less light in, thus, slowing the shutter speed. On a sunny day, use a 6 stop compensated ND filter. Sunset, 3 stops. These are for 24FPS. The shutter speed is always double the FPS. This makes for smoother motion. As to having 1/4000th of a sec at 24FPS on a sunny day, it is sharper when you extract frames, but will not be as smooth for video running at 24FPS and 1/48th of a sec shutter speed.

To answer your question, FPS is not shutter speed. A higher FPS will result in smoother slow motion, and also, people saying that at 25FPS you should be using 1/60th of a second, because the camera cannot do 1/50th of a second and it is the closest to 1/50th of a second.

I'm flying around at 1/50th of a second at 24FPS because it is closest to 1/48th of a second.
This one was without an ND filter and was shooting at roughly 1/4000th of a second. If you pause it, you will see the frames sharp.

This one was WITH an ND filter and was shooting at 1/50th of a second. If you pause it, you will see the frames blurred.

These are all filmed at 24FPS.
We see motion blur with our own eyes, so adding that to video has a great effect.

2015-6-28
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

Not a dumb question, but asked by virtually EVERY beginning videographer. It can be confusing. Essentially, the frame rate is "How many separate images are recorded each second," and the shutter speed is "How long is the lens open for each image."

Here is a graphic example that may help answer the original question. Usually (but not always), you pick a shutter speed that is double the frame rate.
2015-6-28
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

aeriallens@gmai Posted at 2015-6-29 01:23
Not a dumb question, but asked by virtually EVERY beginning videographer. It can be confusing. Essen ...

Great graphic!

Let's say you have your Phantom camera set for 4K at 25 fps. The general rule of thumb is that your shutter speed (for video) should be 2x your frame rate. Therefore, you *should* have your shutter speed as close to 1/50 as you can get. However....

When it's moderately bright outside (from there all the way to very bright) the camera will not let you set the shutter speed to 1/50 of a second. It's bright enough that the camera wants the shutter speed to be a lot faster than that - it doesn't want to let in all that light, which will grossly overexpose your video. So the camera speeds up the shutter, it's now way too fast and you start getting evidence of all kinds of potential problems - rolling shutter, herky-jerky motion (the experts like a tad of what they call motion blur) and the general inability to control what's going on.

If you open the camera settings icon, set the ISO down to 100 (as low as it will go), you can set your shutter speed to the necessary number, but then it will "wash out" your video, i.e., grossly overexpose it.

The ND filters (Neutral Density) is like adding sunglasses to your camera - cuts out a lot of the unnecessary light. There's been quite a bit written here lately about ND filters and what they do. Google and snoop - lotsa info out there.
2015-6-28
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

classicalle@gma Posted at 2015-6-29 01:00
For every FPS in example, 24FPS, should have a shutter speed closest to 1/48th of a sec or even 1/48 ...

Nice exposure and explanation. Thanks for sharing.

I'm having difficulty to get the right exposure as tablet looks something and final something else.

I tend to leave in the automatic to regret later.

Now that I think about it, your explanation made sense to me. I will try that.

I'm cutting a bunch of ND filters (1,2,3 stops) to bring a long on filming day.

Cheers.
2015-6-28
Use props
PhantomAtAK
lvl.2

United States

aeriallens@gmai Posted at 2015-6-29 01:23
Not a dumb question, but asked by virtually EVERY beginning videographer. It can be confusing. Essen ...

I think I have a better understanding of FPS vs Shutter speed.  

Am I sorta correct to say "A frame is a result, and a shutter open/close is a component of that result" ?

I had been thinking a frame was the same as a shutter open/close, but you helped make it clear they are two different (though dependent) things.  

Is it also safe to say "It is desirable to have two shutter open/close (exposures) for every frame"?

Thanks for the tutorial.
2015-7-1
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

classicalle@gma Posted at 2015-6-29 01:00
For every FPS in example, 24FPS, should have a shutter speed closest to 1/48th of a sec or even 1/48 ...

Love the video and was a big help. I wonder if the shutter problem is because the camera does not have a variable f-stop control. In other words without the f-stop control, the exposure compensations have to come from somewhere and shutter and ISO are the only two places left. I can't wait for the P4P with the advanced camera and all three controls on board. I also wish the DJI would incorporate the narrow field of view settings that the Vision + had. Nice to zoom in so to speak.
2015-7-6
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I've written up something about shutter speed and ND-filters here.

And I've written more about shutter speed and tips and tricks for videography here.
2015-7-6
Use props
rekabtrebor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96427 ft

Canada

classicalle@gma Posted at 2015-6-28 13:00

I have a question related to Shutter speed and would like your opinion. It is always said to aim for "as close as possible" to twice the frame rate for shutter speed to avoid motion blurr etc, and so for 60 FPS you go with 1/120 speed. Does that mean that if you are using 60FPS then slower speed is detrimental? For example if I am set at 1/60 of a second and 60 FPS will that produce problems or a less quality video than setting at the 1/120th, or is anything 1/120th or slower good for 60FPS?
2015-9-21
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rekabtrebor Posted at 2015-9-21 10:52
I have a question related to Shutter speed and would like your opinion. It is always said to aim f ...

It really depends on the look you're trying to achieve. Saving Private Ryan was shot using a fast shutter speed that was more than double the frame rate.
2015-9-21
Use props
rekabtrebor
lvl.1

Canada

classicalle@gma Posted at 2015-9-22 04:01
It really depends on the look you're trying to achieve. Saving Private Ryan was shot using a fast  ...

I think you misunderstood my question, I asked if it was detrimental to use a SLOWER shutter speed than twice the frame rate, not faster, as in using 60 FPS at 1/60th instead of 120th of a second.
Or does the shutter speed need to be as close as possible to double the frame rate for ideal results.
I know what affect is with the fast shutter speed (jello affect) but does a SLOWER shutter speed (less than the 120th when filming at 60FPS) affect the video in any bad way?
2015-9-22
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rekabtrebor Posted at 2015-9-22 12:01
I think you misunderstood my question, I asked if it was detrimental to use a SLOWER shutter speed ...

I don't think so, the video just looks like there's more motion.
2015-9-22
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

2015-9-22
Use props
rekabtrebor
lvl.1

Canada

Kit Walker Posted at 2015-9-22 15:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Jum6TrC1o

Very helpful video,re slower shutter speeds, thanks!
2015-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules