Rainbow App with Mavic mini
12564 22 2020-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikey Mavic
New

Hey, first post after joining. New to the hobby and started with a mavic mini. I was thinking this might help someone out.
I have an older android and was pretty dissapointed to find I couldnt download the DJI fly app after buying the mini.

While looking around I came accross Rainbow and said id give it a try. And I must say very very good.

It works with basically any android, transmits perfectly clear video and is jammed with functionality not found in the DJI fly app.

Obviously a quick google search will show you the features, however Im just confirming this app does work great and has not let me down yet after a month or two of use.

If you cant get the DJI fly app or even if you just want to add follow me, waypoint and panorama functionality to your drone its the way to go. Also can adjust exposure which im not sure you can do in DJI fly?

Ive just recieved the Yagi-Uda and the parabolic reflectors from amazon so might do a thread on my experience to add to the current ones already up. Everyone seems to have different experience.

Thanks for reading hope this helps someone out.
2020-11-19
Use props
fanse39fc2b6
lvl.2
United States

One review says "Forces you to purchase in app to continue using after first use" is this true?
2020-11-19
Use props
Mikey Mavic
New

fanse39fc2b6 Posted at 11-19 09:14
One review says "Forces you to purchase in app to continue using after first use" is this true?

So I originally got the free version (theres 2 versions in playstore) I had seen reviews stating exactly what you said however it did not kick me out after first use or even try to get me to opt in. I ended up purchasing the pro version for €25 afterwards as I figured might have some extra functionality and tbh it performs exact same as free version. Maybe its to do with regions, im in Ireland. Download it and see what it says best thing to do. Not much info on playstore. It looks like it should not be as good as it is tbh.
2020-11-19
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-11-19
Use props
Berhatz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 667575 ft
Russia

Be careful with this app. It can steal your personal data.
2020-11-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there Mikey Mavic. Thank you for reaching out and sharing this information here in DJI Forum. Just a friendly reminder to please use the recommended DJI application ( DJI Fly application ) when flying your DJI Mavic Mini to ensure stability and comparability during flight and 3rd party applications like Rainbow App can void the warranty of your DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you and safe flying always.
2020-11-20
Use props
Mikey Mavic
New

Ireland

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-20 00:21
Hi there Mikey Mavic. Thank you for reaching out and sharing this information here in DJI Forum. Just a friendly reminder to please use the recommended DJI application ( DJI Fly application ) when flying your DJI Mavic Mini to ensure stability and comparability during flight and 3rd party applications like Rainbow App can void the warranty of your DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you and safe flying always.

Thbaks for your reply. Can you confirm if the Dji fly app will become compatible with androids older than v06 any time in the future?
2020-11-20
Use props
Berhatz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 667575 ft
Russia

Mikey Mavic Posted at 11-20 00:26
Thbaks for your reply. Can you confirm if the Dji fly app will become compatible with androids older than v06 any time in the future?

No! You should buy a new phone from the list of phones
2020-11-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Mikey Mavic Posted at 11-20 00:26

Hello there Mikey Mavic. Thank you for your reply and additional inquiry. My apologies, one of the requirements for us to be able to use the DJI Fly app and the DJI Mavic mini is for us to have at least Android 6.0 or above. However, that is also if the said device is part of our tested and recommended devices. If it is not on the list, I'm sorry to say that we cannot guarantee the result and the stability if we try to use the said mobile device on your unit. You may kindly refer to the list below regarding our tested and recommended devices for the DJI Fly app and the DJI Mavic Mini, thank you.
Screenshot_131.jpg
2020-11-20
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Thank you.
2020-11-20
Use props
djiuser_E7Md05BerQ22
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2020-11-20 00:21

If that's the fact. Then dji should have made a more compatible app for everybody and not an app that only a rich person can use with an expensive phone which I can't afford
2021-1-19
Use props
AtPlaces
lvl.2
United States

AHA! thanks- I also noticed the DJI fly app is not compatible with many devices! I already use rainbow sometimes but thanks fore sharing
2021-2-28
Use props
MGMason
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56371 ft
United States

Berhatz Posted at 2020-11-19 10:28

I read that as well and decided it wasn't worth the risk for the only thing I'd use which is way points.
Agreement say it has access to all your contacts and your personal contact as a V-card. Plus your SD card and I believe all your photos. My data is worth more than the risk.
2022-1-6
Use props
Towlie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 597795 ft
United States

MGMason Posted at 1-6 11:35
I read that as well and decided it wasn't worth the risk for the only thing I'd use which is way points.
Agreement say it has access to all your contacts and your personal contact as a V-card. Plus your SD card and I believe all your photos. My data is worth more than the risk.

Rainbow permissions say Media only, Location, Nearby devices and Phone.  I would expect this if it's going to record video, access the GPS, send sound to headphones and prevent phone calls interrupting you while in flight.  As far as data security; DJI is also a Chinese company they are both beholden to the CCP.  I don't think I would necessarily trust one above the other but I would be skeptical of both.
2022-1-19
Use props
ascensiorecta
New

Indonesia

so with the basic feature of taking video and photo, is it still free after months usage? I just installed it in my old android redmi 4A and pretty satisfied with features inside. I'm just using it to replace dji fly, just to fly it taking aerial shots manually and that's all.
2022-1-22
Use props
Robert Lloyd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49528 ft

United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2022-1-27
Use props
Mr. Rocketman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6355 ft

United States

US Govt is saying same thing about the DJI app.
2022-2-4
Use props
Sanchit Dixit
New

India

Towlie Posted at 1-19 16:16
Rainbow permissions say Media only, Location, Nearby devices and Phone.  I would expect this if it's going to record video, access the GPS, send sound to headphones and prevent phone calls interrupting you while in flight.  As far as data security; DJI is also a Chinese company they are both beholden to the CCP.  I don't think I would necessarily trust one above the other but I would be skeptical of both.

Correct, DJI itself is a Chinese CCP operated company, All our data is still at risk with DJI
Rainbow on the other hand supports most handsets.
DJI Fly App doesn't work, 15m altitude restrictions etc are the reason for hating DJI.
DJI should have shown these true colors before buying the Drone.
2022-5-15
Use props
Ctrlx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1001 ft
United States

fanse39fc2b6 Posted at 2020-11-19 09:14

Well, once installed it gives you 3 times to use the app. After your 3 uses, it then locks out functionality drastically. You then have the option of using it with crippled functionality or to purchase the Pro version with a yearly subscription.
Note: If you purchase a yearly subscription to the Android version it does not entitle you to the Pro version for IOS (Apple) and vise versa. Android and IOS are two different subscriptions.

I feel the 3 times trial use is a rather low number. I feel the trial use times should be upped to at least 15 times.
It is a feature packed app and you really can't get the true feel and functionality in just 3 tries.
2022-7-16
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

How when IT steal person data?
2022-8-24
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

How when IT steal person data?
2022-8-24
Use props
Nitro-Tom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 403133 ft
United States

For me this is "No Bueno" as all the support is lame and in Chinese. nothing in english in writing i can find and all videos are in chineese.
I don't trust anyone with my data and I am sure DJI has a bunch of it. Not happy about it, but the reason I could never trust rainbow is some of the reviews and support.

Report of a drone crashing due to no control and the support reply is we updated app to let go of control after it crashes. Well when the app crashed - I guess his drone did the same. no warranty. not good.

I am a big fan of software regression testing - has this been tested with my phone, my drone firmware, etc...I can see in 2 seconds Rainbow is not up to snuff in that department and support.

At some point if they try hard it may be good enough, but so far this is 2 star - kind of how I like my Kung Pow Chicken - but I like my fly apps to have 4 stars or better.

Not enough to get my trust. I can do most of the stuff in my mini now. It would be nice to have native support for waypoints, hyperlapse, etc. but not worth risking my drone and privacy for, much less void my fly away coverage......not for me.

plus I could not find out if it keeps the same flight logs as DJI Fly. That is a deal breaker for me if it does not keep flight logs the same way DJI Fly does. too much metadata there to loose. my 2 cents on rainbow.....Thanks DJI for releasing the SDK now lets wait and see what else comes of it.
2023-3-22
Use props
djiuser_RVVE2n71nAeC
New
Flight distance : 48766 ft
Australia

The new version as of July 2023 gives you 5 free tries before you have to buy.     I have a question though.  It says in the manual that you download the images and stich them yourself, and shows a download button.  But the new version I have it says stitching but I don't know if it actually stiches them now, and if it does, where does it store the stitched image?  Anyone using the new version and tried it?    As for Chinese companies stealing data, I'd be more worried of American companies doing that.  Ask Snowden!
2023-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules